Seems to work.

Attachment 273841

Posted via CB10
    what OS and runtime are you running?

Easily.Do shuts force closes every 10 secs with me
    05-26-14 04:42 PM
    what OS and runtime are you running?

Easily.Do shuts force closes every 10 secs with me
    It is 10.3 with the SDK android Runtime.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 05:28 PM
    It is 10.3 with the SDK android Runtime.

Posted via CB10
    ahhhh thats dumbb lol, looks like I will have to reload it . Mines weird because it does work going to the different sections but after 10secs it shuts down. So technically I can go check 1 thing before it shuts down

Regardless hopefully BB is taking notes from the app and doing some sort of integration with intelligent assistant and taking notes from the innovations Accompli did to the HUB function with innovations of their own to stay on top of the Productivity chain.

Easily.Do is like Google Now on steroids (productivity wise) except for the internet cards from google. GPS is also capabilities are also better with google now. But from a Productivity stand point this app kills Google Now and Blackberry should really be looking at this app.

When I start typing in Intelligent Assistant I do like how "Quick Interaction" pops up even though it showed me a reminder from a few months ago but that is a step forward and a head of the competition in that particular feature.

I think I might make a thread on here and beta zone about this actually.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post10398111

https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/...w/22922#112345

Like it and bump it!!!!
    Last edited by khehl; 05-26-14 at 09:06 PM.
    05-26-14 07:37 PM
    Honestly I don't mind as long as we get the full Google services treatment not some half *** solution

Lots of games and apps require Google service connectivity to be able to download additional data which obviously renders them useless on our BlackBerry
    For Google Play Services to be available, BlackBerry would have to convince Google to authorize BB10 as a member of the Open Handset Alliance.

That. Will. Not. Happen.

As it happens, there are many devices sold with either forked Android (Nokia X, Kindle Fire), or non OHA Android. NONE of these devices runs Google-dependent apps any better than BB10 does.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Banco likes this.
    05-26-14 08:07 PM
    All I can say is that before 10.3, when I loaded an Android App, I expected it not to work. Now, I expect it to work and I have so far not been disappointed.

Posted via CB10
    mnc76 likes this.
    05-27-14 08:10 AM
    For Google Play Services to be available, BlackBerry would have to convince Google to authorize BB10 as a member of the Open Handset Alliance.

That. Will. Not. Happen.

As it happens, there are many devices sold with either forked Android (Nokia X, Kindle Fire), or non OHA Android. NONE of these devices runs Google-dependent apps any better than BB10 does.

But at least Amazon created their own "store" for users to get apps from. And they have built up an ecosystem that developers are willing to support independent of Google with only the tablet form factor.... add in phones and it will only improve. Amazon understood the concept of the chicken or the egg - so they worked on having both at launch.

The Nokia X is a $120 smartphone made for certain markets (same ones the $200 Z3 is made for) where the loss of Google Services will most likely not be an issue. You don't see Nokia (or any other manufacture - other than BlackBerry) releasing any $600 smartphones in more developed markets where not having Google Services would be an issue for users.

The problem I see is Google is now KING, and they want to stay KING and they have started doing things that are protective of their "open" OS. A lot of other OS builders are hoping to capitalize on Android Apps and Google knows this. They have already started encouraging developers to use Google Services to validate with, as a way to prevent piracy (even for fee apps) - something that most developers likely welcome. But it also kills apps from working on these runtimes that Amazon, BlackBerry and Sailfish all are using. So in the future the number of apps that will work on these "open" runtimes is going to shrink. Now maybe developers will create other versions of their apps that will validate against an Amazon Services or a BlackBerry Services or even a Sailfish Services.... a lot will depend upon the platform size and if the developer see a "value" in that platform.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    05-27-14 09:34 AM
    The thing is, BB10 now has access to all the third-party apps from Kindle Fire as well through the Amazon app store.

And I only used Kindle and Nokia X as examples; there are hundreds of handsets out there that are not OHA and do not have access to Google Play Services.

It's a matter of expectations. I agree that it is unreasonable to expect BB10 to run absolutely everything a GS5 can. Does that mean BlackBerry should abandon Android completely?

Banco likes this.
    05-27-14 11:53 AM
    The thing is, BB10 now has access to all the third-party apps from Kindle Fire as well through the Amazon app store.

And I only used Kindle and Nokia X as examples; there are hundreds of handsets out there that are not OHA and do not have access to Google Play Services.

It's a matter of expectations. I agree that it is unreasonable to expect BB10 to run absolutely everything a GS5 can. Does that mean BlackBerry should abandon Android completely?

It's also important to note that BlackBerry's ability access the Amazon store is officially sanctioned by Amazon, and installing the Amazon app store it is as easy as clicking the link below

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/and...UvbUpU10401433

BlackBerry should ensure the runtime is compatible with Amazon apps and any Amazon software infrastructure (e.g.: notifications must work in the background, in-app payments must work, all apps load and run quickly, etc...)

This should completely kill the "app" issue (unless people believe the Kindle Fire and upcoming Amazon phone also have a "terrible app gap issue").

Of course: if you hate Android on BlackBerry, then it's your choice to never install any of this. But based on CB site traffic to Android related articles, Kevin Michaluk has said that the vast majority of CB readers really want better Android support.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 05:05 PM
    It's also important to note that BlackBerry's ability access the Amazon store is officially sanctioned by Amazon, and installing the Amazon app store it is as easy as clicking the link below

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/and...UvbUpU10401519

BlackBerry should ensure the runtime is compatible with Amazon apps and any Amazon software infrastructure (e.g.: notifications must work in the background, in-app payments must work, all apps load and run quickly, etc...)

This should completely kill the "app" issue (unless people believe the Kindle Fire and upcoming Amazon phone also have a "terrible app gap issue").

Of course: if you hate Android on BlackBerry, then it's your choice to never install any of this. But based on CB site traffic to Android related articles, Kevin Michaluk has said that the vast majority of CB readers really want better Android support.

Posted via CB10
    Ideally BB users want better native apps, but we understand that getting devs in the front door of App World with their Android port is a good first step. That's really the only way BB can build up their own native ecosystem.
    05-27-14 05:47 PM

Nope. But I do think if they can build up BB world to a point where devs *want* to develop for the platform, they could then consider shutting down the android runtime permanently.
    05-27-14 05:49 PM
    Ideally BB users want better native apps, but we understand that getting devs in the front door of App World with their Android port is a good first step. That's really the only way BB can build up their own native ecosystem.
    Totally agree.

Android "Big Name" App > No app
    but
    Native "Big Name" App > Android app

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 05:51 PM
    When you say "we understand" who is the "we"? I read far too many posts here on CB with people losing their minds over companies not launching a BB10 app first.

BlackBerry users should understand that Android and iOS apps will come first and that hopefully a BB10 app will follow.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-27-14 06:09 PM
    People always complain that BlackBerrys got no apps... well this is the answer to their complaints...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141

Probably been stated a few times already, but until BlackBerry implements Google Play Services this is merely a poor mans bandaid.
    05-27-14 06:10 PM
    Probably been stated a few times already, but until BlackBerry implements Google Play Services this is merely a poor mans bandaid.
    Then the new (upcoming) Amazon phone, all Kindle Fire devices, the Nokia X series phones, etc... have exactly the same "poor man's bandaid" since they can't use Google Play Services either.

In fact, the Kindle and the new Amazon phone have an even poorer man's bandaid since they don't even have "native" apps... the Amazon store is everything they have.

Posted via CB10
    Banco likes this.
    05-27-14 07:12 PM
    Then the new (upcoming) Amazon phone, all Kindle Fire devices, the Nokia X series phones, etc... have exactly the same "poor man's bandaid" since they can't use Google Play Services either.

In fact, the Kindle and the new Amazon phone have an even poorer man's bandaid since they doesn't even have "native" apps... the Amazon store is everything they have.

Posted via CB10
    Is your point that BlackBerry shouldn't worry about its lack of native apps because there are other people with even fewer?

05-27-14 07:14 PM
    Is your point that BlackBerry shouldn't worry about its lack of native apps because there are other people with even fewer?

I was referring to your characterization of Android on BB10 as a "poor man's bandaid" when many hugely popular, well reviewed, profitable device lines have exactly the same "bandaid".

Posted via CB10
    Banco and LuvULongTime like this.
    05-27-14 07:16 PM
    I was referring to your characterization of Android on BB10 as a "poor man's bandaid" when many hugely popular, well reviewed, profitable device lines have exactly the same "bandaid".

Posted via CB10
    It's still a band-aid. I see it as a stop gap measure until such time as they have enough native apps. That's the only reason to have Android runtime at all; because there aren't enough native app.

05-27-14 08:06 PM
    When you say "we understand" who is the "we"?
    The small vocal minority are the ones that complain. I would say most of us get it and are happy with apps starting as ports first.
    05-27-14 08:10 PM
    This will take a agreement between Google and BlackBerry to make it happen.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Agree, not going to happen.

Snap works great so far. I wonder why Snap does not come included on the phone or why can't BB make a little cash from selling Android apps directly.
    05-27-14 10:08 PM

Snap works great so far. I wonder why Snap does not come included on the phone or why can't BB make a little cash from selling Android apps directly.
    The major problem with snap is side loading it. If it was available for installation directly from BlackBerry World it would ( a lot better.

05-27-14 10:58 PM

BlackBerry will never pre install snap or allow or it on BlackBerry World for fear of lawsuit from Google. Right now Google is turning a blind eye to this.

With that said if BlackBerry wanted to make it even easier they could allow bar files to be installed OTA. This way people that are not tech savy could install snap a lot easier.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 10:58 PM
    BlackBerry will never pre install snap or allow or it on BlackBerry World for fear of lawsuit from Google. Right now Google is turning a blind eye to this.

With that said if BlackBerry wanted to make it even easier they could allow bar files to be installed OTA. This way people that are not tech savy could install snap a lot easier.

Posted via CB10
    If there are really legal issues with Snap then BlackBerry shouldn't be advertising their devices as Android ready. If Google is choosing to turn a blind eye that can change anytime.

JeepBB likes this.
    05-27-14 11:14 PM
    The major problem with snap is side loading it. If it was available for installation directly from BlackBerry World it would ( a lot better.

If had time, I'd write a version of Snap for Android. No sideloading needed.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 11:43 PM
    If there are really legal issues with Snap then BlackBerry shouldn't be advertising their devices as Android ready. If Google is choosing to turn a blind eye that can change anytime.

Snap isn't the only way to get Android apps. The Amazon store is a legal, sanctioned way to get Android apps that BlackBerry could publicly point to.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 11:45 PM
    If had time, I'd write a version of Snap for Android. No sideloading needed.

Posted via CB10
    Is this possible from a technical standpoint? If so, that would be awesome.
    05-28-14 12:14 AM
326 ... 89101112 ...