04-30-15 04:21 PM
258 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I don't think there's a need to bash Nemory for that, everyone has faults (just that extent of it). It's the amount of hours he has spent developing a native app because there wasn't any available for BlackBerry at the time. Well we asked for it, someone (so happened to be him) created it, so there's no need to turn the screw on him.

However, if there are infringements in places that treat copyrights and IP very seriously, then he should or must adhere if not that could lead to much bigger consequences than the occasional back-lash on forums.
    02-11-15 03:54 AM
    Does anyone kind of see a correlation between what some customers, developers, and Chen are saying in regards to app equality. Somehow in my purple sky world I am starting to see what the comment was about. If providers are going to provide an app, then it needs to be available for all. For example, SnapChats' api. Even the folks over at WindowsCentral are saying it like that. The owners are refusing to produce the public APIs in a timely manner thus leaving the development to less than on the table methods.

Maybe I am stooped, but I kind of see what all the talk was about by John C now. And this is just regarding the one single app. No doubt there are many others doing the exact same thing.
    There are many people who use snapchat to send, um, private pictures. A company like snapchat needs to take privacy and security seriously and make sure their customers have a certain level of trust in the service. This is not the kind of service where the owner wants to release a public api for any sleazy developer out there to compromise (intentionally or not) the goodwill of the company through knock off apps.

It's the same reason BlackBerry wouldn't release a public api for BBM. How would BlackBerry stop third party app developers from making third party BBM apps on various platforms that send all of your chats to the developer, who may or may not keep them private? Forcing all legitimate service providers to release public apis is absurd and would most definitely not benefit the public.

If you think third party app developers would all responsibly use the apis, maybe you should read this about Nemory: http://www.filearchivehaven.com/2015...-applications/

If you owned a business and articles like that were coming out talking about significant issues with the use of your service by third parties profiting from your success, you would take action. This goes beyond snapchat protecting itself. It is also protecting its customers.

And no, snapchat does not need to release an app for BB10, a struggling platform with a dying native app ecosystem. It also does not need to release an app on Amazon. There are a lot of blogs out there by developers who are not happy with amazons App Store practices; particularly the amount of time and the process of app approval. Why go through that headache and have a fragmented app offering just so some kindle fire and blackberry users can have an app? We have no idea what the internal board room discussions are at snapchat about all of this, but it all seems fairly rational to me.
    02-11-15 06:57 AM
    Amazon apps are not supposed to contain any Google services... and Snapchat doesn't require Google services... that's just something Google wants to enforce. But it's not required for an app to function.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, Amazon apps are not supposed to have Google Play Services encoded, but some do. So we can't even use the apps from there with any certainty.
    02-11-15 07:14 AM
    Can't other developers make an app similar to snap chat instead without hijacking or or accessing it illegally?
    If the access anything in SnapChat, it is illegal, because the API is not open.

Should someone make an actual cross platform secure SnapChat competitor? Absafreakinlutely!
    KermEd likes this.
    02-11-15 07:54 AM

Should someone make an actual cross platform secure SnapChat competitor? Absafreakinlutely!
    Not sure about that. I can manage without it. :P

To be honest I don't see this service fun/useful at all. Especially since a lot of mobile service providers offer insane or even unlimited amount of SMS and MMS (at least in Slovenia). I was actually giggling a bit when I read those leaked emails of SnapChat's CEO stating this company has promising future. They might prove me wrong, but I just don't see it.
    I do get the logic behind timed messages though. However sending nudies through any service is just asking for wider exposure.

Posted with Q5 Pigeons
    02-11-15 11:19 AM

BBM, but it doesn't have to cache that SnapChat has. Some people want what they're told they want and don't really care about privacy, security or legality. However SnapChat was forced to take security seriously and unapproved third party applications are a big problem for them providing the service they are selling, which is ephemeral chat. Any application out there that may defeat the ephemeral piece will eventually become a target.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    02-11-15 11:39 AM
    SnapChat is also sending C/Ds to Android devs who make Snap clients. Appears the scourge is in full affect.

Hey guys, sad announcement unfortunately.

I knew it was coming soon, since they were actively blocking my mods. I just received a cease and desist letter from Snapchat's lawyers for infringement of their intellectual property. And they're right, I am infringing their intellectual property. I won't be taking any further risks and will comply with their requirements to settle. I have and am going to remove everything, including SnapMod, Keepchat and Snapshare.

It's been a fun ride. I really loved developing it and really improved my skills. But I knew it had to stop some time. I understand they're not happy with it and there's no other option than to honour their requests. I'm going to think of something else to develop, of course it'll be open source. Something like an app (don't know what yet) or rom development for example. New challenges, new things to learn.

I'm going to remove everything from AndroidFileHost and the Xposed repository, ask the mods to close this thread and remove it after a few days, when most of you have had the chance to read this message.

I'm really sorry guys, I hope you understand I have to quit. I do understand them. Thanks for being such a loyal community.

P1nGu1n
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    02-11-15 02:05 PM
    ^ That's the PROPER reaction in such cases!

Thumbs up for this developer!

Posted with Q5 Pigeons
    02-11-15 02:14 PM

Thumbs up for this developer!
    Absolutely.

Penned via Tapatalk
    02-11-15 02:29 PM
    For Android devs, sure - there's an official client on that platform. For BB10, WP and the rest, it's ridiculous not to at least entertain the idea of having a third party develop clients for those other platforms for free - Telegram went above and beyond by paying third party developers.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 03:30 PM
    For Android devs, sure - there's an official client on that platform. For BB10, WP and the rest, it's ridiculous not to at least entertain the idea of having a third party develop clients for those other platforms for free - Telegram went above and beyond by paying third party developers.

Posted via CB10
    I was reffering to the civilized manner with which this developer accepted their notice and respectfully informed his customers about it.
    02-11-15 03:42 PM
    Are they really going to shutdown 3rd party apps.. smh. They won't even support BlackBerry users so you wonder why we have to use a 3rd party app!

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 03:58 PM
    Are they really going to shutdown 3rd party apps.. smh. They won't even support BlackBerry users so you wonder why we have to use a 3rd party app!

Posted via CB10
    Yes, Snapchat wrote a blogpost about it in October, shutdown Winphone Snaps in December and now they went after BB and Android 3rd party Snaps. Have not kept up if there are jailbreak Snap apps for IOS but if so they are on the radar too.
    02-11-15 04:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    What Ment said.

But why is this so surprising to some people? SnapChat is not an application I would ever use, just like I will never rely on BBM ephemeral service. Also their implementation is terrible leaving huge holes that could have been plugged. But the biggest problem they have faced has come from third parties accessing their API. One of the worst kept secrets was that one could go to one of these unauthorized applications or websites to download messages and keep the pictures. No need for screen shots or anything else. So they are going to get rid of as many of the third party applications as they can; as easily, quickly and cheaply as they can.

Personally I'm waiting until they've gotten all the low hanging fruit to see what they'll do next.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-11-15 04:27 PM
    It is unfortunate that BlackBerry isn't supported. However, lack of support to a platform does not entitle said platforms to a 3rd party app. Does is suck? You betcha. But what can ya do? The nature of Snapchat's service is not conducive to allowing 3rd party apps.
    02-11-15 05:34 PM
    This is really bad news because I think that closed APIs like Snapchat and so many others are not going anywhere anytime soon. If popular services are only available on iOS and Android, that will only further the advantages enjoyed by the duopoly. Eventually, the smaller OSes will be so app-depleted that only those people who "don't use any apps" would even consider them. Meanwhile, Apple and Android will be having another monster quarter.

Now I see why Chen was so keen on the app neutrality idea.
    02-11-15 06:53 PM
    Snap! Ouch!
    Glad not to be him!

BlackBerry hates America!
    lol

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 06:58 PM
    This developer asks for all kinds of unnecessary permissions and also swore and mouthed off to me on an email like some little punk. Good riddance i hope justice is served. Thou fool.
    02-11-15 07:54 PM
    You're trying to argue that pointing out a wrong is just as bad as, or worse than, actually performing the wrong. That's so flawed on so many levels.
    Penned via Tapatalk
    No he was not! Please read again, he was referring in general to snitching.
    02-11-15 10:30 PM
    No he was not! Please read again, he was referring in general to snitching.
    In what definition is a snitch not someone who informs on criminal/illegal activities?

Posted from my Red Passport
    02-12-15 06:02 AM
    I prefer to think of someone who reports criminal and/or illegal activity as a good citizen that performs the role of whistleblower.

I don't consider the developer being discussed here a criminal. There's degrees and then there's degrees. Civil tort vs Criminal felony.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 08:14 AM
    I prefer to think of someone who reports criminal and/or illegal activity as a good citizen that performs the role of whistleblower.

I don't consider the developer being discussed here a criminal. There's degrees and then there's degrees. Civil tort vs Criminal felony.

Posted via CB10
    I think the biggest part, is that of course judgment is very much an individual thing on what was right and wrong. It's hard to judge anyone in this case for me as everything in this world is a series of chained events. And what we see here is a long list of cause and effect events. I.E. There is a reason the app was reported, just as there was a reason that person chose to report it. Which was a response to earlier events. And those events a response to even earlier events.

To summarize it all and how it got to where it is today in relation to the C+D would take pages, and keeping in mind Snapchat just filed C+Ds' against every copycat app they could find on Android, I have to keep in mind regardless of all else it would have been pulled much sooner than later as part of their house keeping anyway.

The big question for me now is, what's next?

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    02-12-15 09:32 AM
    Who says it was a developer?? He hasn't been making many friends lately.
    02-12-15 12:16 PM
    Who says it was a developer?? He hasn't been making many friends lately.
    You are responding to who?
    02-12-15 12:33 PM
    Where do you download the actual snapchat from? The photo/video quality on the one I have is awful and it seems like I'll need to delete Snap10...
    02-12-15 12:41 PM
258 ... 56789 ...