04-30-15 04:21 PM
258 ... 45678 ...
tools
    He said if he argues with people on a forum they will find a loophole to argue back. And then you found a loophole to the statement. It wasn't bad! Just a bit funny - in my opinion I haven't slept much in a few days
    Okay, I understand what your'e saying... kinda. But to be quite frank.. the use of the term "Loophole" is a very disingenuous term. There were no loopholes. Simply counter points. I didn't use any loopholes. I didn't redefine, or re-interpret, anything from its original intent, which is what Loophole would suggest.
    02-10-15 07:37 PM
    Okay, I understand what your'e saying... kinda. But to be quite frank.. the use of the term "Loophole" is a very disingenuous term. There were no loopholes. Simply counter points. I didn't use any loopholes. I didn't redefine, or re-interpret, anything from its original intent, which is what Loophole would suggest.
    I know and I totally get what you meant with the comments. I just thought it was good timing for the reply

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    02-10-15 07:45 PM
    I know and I totally get what you meant with the comments. I just thought it was good timing for the reply

Lmaoo guys stawp it maybe I should have used a different word but I like the word loophole

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 08:13 PM
    Tweet them with me

Snapchat serves legal notice on nemory studios over snap 10-img_20150210_180330.png

Posted via CB10
    KermEd, dusdal, Chrisd534 and 1 others like this.
    02-10-15 08:25 PM
    Tweet them with me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150210_180330.png 
Views:	1009 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	332944

Posted via CB10
    You will have to do more than that. Snapchat uses Google Play Services.
    02-10-15 09:07 PM
    This is bull****, if Snap chat doesn't want people to create an app that works on BlackBerry devices, then they need to make one. It's plain and simple.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 09:11 PM
    This is bull****, if Snap chat doesn't want people to create an app that works on BlackBerry devices, then they need to make one. It's plain and simple.

Posted via CB10
    I fully agree.

On that note someone posted a link on Snapchat today though, their android app is on the horizon for the Android app test. It'll be interesting to see what weirdness it's doing. Based on what I've been reading it has the potential to be really scary.

02-10-15 09:15 PM
    If you remove the dependencies, the app still works fine
    02-10-15 09:41 PM
    Does anyone kind of see a correlation between what some customers, developers, and Chen are saying in regards to app equality. Somehow in my purple sky world I am starting to see what the comment was about. If providers are going to provide an app, then it needs to be available for all. For example, SnapChats' api. Even the folks over at WindowsCentral are saying it like that. The owners are refusing to produce the public APIs in a timely manner thus leaving the development to less than on the table methods.

Maybe I am stooped, but I kind of see what all the talk was about by John C now. And this is just regarding the one single app. No doubt there are many others doing the exact same thing.
    That's exactly what Chen was on about... instead people shat on him for making a point.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 09:47 PM
    People do know other platforms instagram 3rd party apps also have some iap right? ... why wasn't those reported?

Posted via CB10
    Exactly this, also with 3rd party snapchats. Then people complain why BlackBerry doesn't have any apps their too busy minding other people's business, ruining for the rest of us. Human beings lol

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 09:47 PM
    Amazon apps are not supposed to contain any Google services... and Snapchat doesn't require Google services... that's just something Google wants to enforce. But it's not required for an app to function.

Posted via CB10
    KermEd likes this.
    02-10-15 09:49 PM
    Can't other developers make an app similar to snap chat instead without hijacking or or accessing it illegally?
    02-10-15 09:49 PM
    Snapchat would still have to justify a variety of costs to bring it over (support, optimizing for square screens, testing, etc.), so I'm not holding my breath, but it's certainly worth a try - nothing to lose at this point.
    02-10-15 09:50 PM
    Snapchat would still have to justify a variety of costs to bring it over (support, optimizing for square screens, testing, etc.), so I'm not holding my breath, but it's certainly worth a try - nothing to lose at this point.
    Telegram figured out how to deal with it. Other developers should follow that strategy.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 09:53 PM
    Telegram figured out how to deal with it. Other developers should follow that strategy.

Posted via CB10
    I did like Telegram's strategy, but it may not necessarily be cost-effective for other developers (and we don't know whether or not it was for Telegram either, but kudos to them for trying). There's also the matter of limited resources, too - developers may want to instead dedicate their resources to projects they believe will be more profitable for them.
    02-10-15 10:06 PM
    I did like Telegram's strategy, but it may not necessarily be cost-effective for other developers (and we don't know whether or not it was for Telegram either, but kudos to them for trying). There's also the matter of limited resources, too - developers may want to instead dedicate their resources to projects they believe will be more profitable for them.
    The last time Snapchat had a poll on which platform they should build next BlackBerry was one of the choices. So they are considering something if it gets the votes.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 10:08 PM
    The last time Snapchat had a poll on which platform they should build next BlackBerry was one of the choices. So they are considering something if it gets the votes.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, I saw that poll and voted for BlackBerry. They'll most definitely come up with something if they believe the demand is there, but it seems that most developers believe that the demand is not sufficient enough to justify the cost of bringing something to BlackBerry 10. I sincerely hope that changes one day, but nothing significant enough has happened to the platform to cause a shift in that attitude, at least so far.
    02-10-15 10:13 PM
    Can't other developers make an app similar to snap chat instead without hijacking or or accessing it illegally?
    I know and we should make it cross platform

02-10-15 10:29 PM
    All they'd have to do is publish it on the Amazon app store without google play services, which doesn't affect the functionality of the app at all. If there are scaling issues or anything, that's on BB to fix on their software side.

It's super easy, the Amazon store has hundreds of thousands of apps from developers who have done this. Snapchat just chooses not to.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 10:34 PM
    All they'd have to do is publish it on the Amazon app store without google play services, which doesn't affect the functionality of the app at all. If there are scaling issues or anything, that's on BB to fix on their software side.

It's super easy, the Amazon store has hundreds of thousands of apps from developers who have done this. Snapchat just chooses not to.

Posted via CB10
    They could do that, but that would also look bad on them - people would proceed to complain about how poorly it works on their BlackBerry, regardless of whether the fix is on BlackBerry or Snapchat.
    02-10-15 10:46 PM
    They could do that, but that would also look bad on them - people would proceed to complain about how poorly it works on their BlackBerry, regardless of whether the fix is on BlackBerry or Snapchat.
    But the apk from Snap already works perfectly (before the google play services) so it's essentially already tested.

The BB10 runtime is just another way to run android apps. I'm sure snapchat doesn't test to see whether their app works perfectly on every single android phone including the super low end ones. No reason to discriminate against BB especially since we know it works.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 12:55 AM
    If you ask for a refund for this...that's pretty low. […] You all knew it wasn't authorized but you still bought it...there is always some discretion on the consumer.
    I beg to differ. Even if people knew that it was unofficial, that doesn’t mean that they knew it wasn’t authorised by SnapChat or that the developer had been called out for this previously. Not every BlackBerry user is on CrackBerry.

[I]t seems that most developers believe that the demand is not sufficient enough to justify the cost of bringing something to BlackBerry 10.
    That’s what makes this whole situation so delicate. SnapChat apparently can’t afford the development of a native app for another platform and doesn’t seem to be interested in settling for an emulated experience (Android) either. So they made the business decision to shut out all potential customers on BlackBerry 10 altogether. In an ideal world they would have had clients on all platforms to reach all customers alike, but that is just not how it works. In the meantime, that relatively small clientele manages to sneak into the platform without authorisation, potentially with repercussions for the good name of SnapChat (i.e. poor experience, security and privacy issues). In other words, they could do much more harm than they are worth. Rightly so, they become protective and defend their decisions and intellectual property.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    02-11-15 02:32 AM
    If you ask for a refund for this...that's pretty low. Even though it is taken down now he's spent countless hours working on it and reading your feedback to make it better for all of you and that is worth the few bucks you spent on it. You all knew it wasn't authorized but you still bought it...there is always some discretion on the consumer. I'm just saying that he did work hard on it for the past year or so....imagine working on something for that long...letting people use it for over a year...then having to give the money back.
    The application has been broken for months and months and months and will never be fixed more than likely. It never originally worked as intended even when released. It always suffered from one major bug or another, i.e. crashing when sending snaps or not displaying feeds properly. I'm also sure the countless users who don't use CrackBerry who bought it in BlackBerry World didn't know it was unauthorized.

But regardless, I think Snapchat is a ****ty company for wanting to remove all third-party applications on platforms they don't support while they have no plans to introduce their own application. They receive millions and millions of dollars in investments and ad revenue and it would likely cost them less than 1% of that to have and support a native Snapchat application on BB10. We all know they'd make money on the BB10 platform. There's no excuse for not supporting the BB10 userbase and then going off and killing third-party apps trying to close the app gap.
    habs_fan likes this.
    02-11-15 02:51 AM
    SnapChat apparently can’t afford the development of a native app for another platform and doesn’t seem to be interested in settling for an emulated experience (Android) either.
    Nonsense. The company is worth $20 billion dollars. I would be surprised if it cost 1% of that, 200 million (assuming I can do math), to develop a native application for BB10.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-11-15 02:54 AM
    We all know they'd make money on the BB10 platform.
    How do you know? I question that. Recently, the developer of the featured puzzle game Monument Valley published their development costs and profits over the year on various platforms (mostly to demonstrate why the price of $3,99 was necessary). The surprising and sad truth was that only through iOS they managed to break even, although it was offered on Google Play and the Amazon App Store too. The prospects of monetisation remain difficult even on Android. Granted, this is a game with a costly development and a relatively steep price tag (among many free-to-play titles), but it sheds some light on how easily people take these things for granted. SnapChat is a business that accepts investments with the promise of future returns. BlackBerry 10 may be just a waste of money to that end. Not saying it is specifically so for SnapChat, but we don’t have their side of the story.

Nonsense. The company is worth $20 billion dollars. I would be surprised if it cost 1% of that, 200 million (assuming I can do math), to develop a native application for BB10.
    The company is valued more around $10 billion. This valuation doesn’t mean that SnapChat has much cash on hand, in fact it still fails to make any money and has a hefty negative cashflow at this time (30 million), which is expected to rise much more this year because of increased spending on other features and platforms. Finally, even if it has the money for it, BlackBerry 10 would have to show promise as a healthy platform to make this investment worth the cost. BlackBerry 10 just has nothing to offer to a company that is already struggling to monetise its platform. It’s pretty much living on investments at this point.
    Last edited by Eitot; 02-11-15 at 07:30 AM.
    02-11-15 03:26 AM
258 ... 45678 ...