04-30-15 05:21 PM
258 1234 ...
tools
    I recall Nemory saying a few days ago that his app sends packages to SnapChat the same way "android and iOS does it". There's no way that SnapChat can identify accounts...
    I love how he has to eat all his lies now.
    To be honest if you look at his coding skills, I think most devs would agree he's very amateur. That, along with his age, would explain the mess he is in currently
    02-10-15 11:05 AM
    Question is why SnapChat doesn't release a native app for BlackBerry 10 and save the hassle?

Oh wait..

Posted via CB10
    devin266 and HUNTZODIAC like this.
    02-10-15 11:06 AM
    Developers tend to watch each other's backs and practice a bit of self policing. I don't think many developers find ratting him out is any lower than Nemory reverse engineering somebody else's proprietary service.
    I can speak for the team that analyzed the apps this week when I say we didn't email Snapchat.

With that said, I don't think that part matters as much. He had a cease and desist once for Snapchat already - its not surprising he got a second one. They did the same to Windows phone and their goal is clear : No third party apps. It sucks, but that's their policy, and it's their software and infrastructure. So it is entirely up to them. We don't have a right to have Snapchat on our phones, it's their right to put it on phones they want.

Regarding refunds, that's up to individual choice I'm afraid. But it depends on how you feel on the subject I suppose

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    02-10-15 11:06 AM
    I can speak for the team that analyzed the apps this week when I say we didn't email Snapchat.

With that said, I don't think that part matters as much. He had a cease and desist once for Snapchat already - its not surprising he got a second one. They did the same to Windows phone and their goal is clear : No third party apps. It sucks, but that's their policy, and it's their software and infrastructure. So it is entirely up to them. We don't have a right to have Snapchat on our phones, it's their right to put it on phones they want.

Regarding refunds, that's up to individual choice I'm afraid. But it depends on how you feel on the subject I suppose

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    I'm glad that ya'lll called out all the random servers and requests that Nem's apps made
    People didn't believe some of us when we pointed it out a while back.
    I mean whether he decides to change it or not, I think it's only fair that everyone knows what's on the backend of his apps
    I think he's going to dig himself into a jail cell if he doesn't stop this "pay for function" mentality for free apps that he reverse engineered.
    senel likes this.
    02-10-15 11:09 AM
    Why are some members on here throwing Nemory under the bus? It is beyond the control of any developer that Snapchat has decided to ban any third party apps. BlackBerry users should be grateful that there are developers like Nemory who are taking the time to make native apps for the platform and trying to bridge the gap for popular third party services. There is just no pleasing people on here. Not many developers are developing for BlackBerry 10 to begin with and with some of the comments I've read on here, it doesn't help that situation. I'm a developer myself who has developed for the platform and all the negativity here is astounding to say the least.
    Uzi, mk2234, habs_fan and 17 others like this.
    02-10-15 11:14 AM
    Why are some members on here throwing Nemory under the bus? It is beyond the control of any developer that Snapchat has decided to ban any third party apps. BlackBerry users should be grateful that there are developers like Nemory who are taking the time to make native apps for the platform and trying to bridge the gap for popular third party services. There is just no pleasing people on here. Not many developers are developing for BlackBerry 10 to begin with and with some of the comments I've read on here, it doesn't help that situation. I'm a developer myself who has developed for the platform and all the negativity here is astounding to say the least.
    I think it's mainly pent up anger and annoyance. You have to understand the history that so many people, myself included, have warned him about this. We've pointed out what he's essentially doing is illegal by using proprietary API. We suggested changing the GUI/Logo/Name because it was a violation. Most importantly, we pointed out that forcing people to pay for free functions you reversed engineered is illegal in so many ways.
    Of course, he told us to gtfo. So I see little reason why people would bother defending him. Unfortunate, as it may be
    Richard Buckley and Chrisd534 like this.
    02-10-15 11:17 AM
    And people wonder why nobody wants to develop for BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 11:18 AM
    Free promotion!

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 11:35 AM
    No way, everyone knew that this was an unauthorized app, this was always a possibility. Nemory was a one man team working on this project for over a year, and it was that work which we paid for. The app being taken down doesn't give him back the countless hours he poured into it. Plus, it was the cost of a cup of coffee. I'm disappointed by this news but I wouldn't dream of requesting a refund.
    Asking for a refund wouldnt be fair but he really needs to change the approach to this business focus on a single project and get it right, technically and legally. He started way too many apps and never really completed or updated and I say this being a fan that donate him to his paypal a few times and bought the apps.
    02-10-15 11:40 AM
    Guess you missed the part about his data mining and his apps security issues. Casting a dim light on him.

BlackBerry hates America!
    02-10-15 11:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    We just want legal and secure apps. He supplied neither. Either by choice or ignorance. Either way it does not reflect on those Devs that do produce safe and legal apps.

02-10-15 12:03 PM
    We just want legal and secure apps. He supplied neither. Either by choice or ignorance. Either way it does not reflect on those Devs that do produce safe and legal apps.

Now the question is which developer will develop a safe and legal SnapChat client.

Considering SnapChat's position right now, the legal part may never become reality

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    3hb78ftg and bibbula like this.
    02-10-15 12:21 PM
    **** like this is where John Chen actually made some sense in the whole "app neutrality" debacle. Honestly, what is the harm in a 3rd party client for their application that has no official presence on BlackBerry 10? Netflix as another example, if the service streams using HTML5, why is it not accessible from the BlackBerry 10 native browser? It's serious bs that companies with nothing to lose except more customers using their services on more devices block independent developers and usage via open standards.
    Dave79, Ealaionta, bibbula and 3 others like this.
    02-10-15 12:28 PM
    In this case, I respectfully disagree. There's a difference between ripping trademarks off, utilizing APIs in an unauthorized way, violating ToS, charging for something the original developer doesn't, and just infringing on IP in general vs. doing everything on the up and up, and let's be honest--this developer has had his share of run-ins over such issues.
    --
    It seems like Snapchat is on a platform-agnostic purge of third party apps here, and they are well within their rights to do so. It sucks they choose not to develop at least an Android port for BB10, but if the Android app sideloaded works perfectly and is not blocked/for practical purposes is indistinguishable from the app running on an Android phone, I say you guys sideload it and "let the joke be on them."
    DisturbedRocks31 and Smitty13 like this.
    02-10-15 12:44 PM
    **** like this is where John Chen actually made some sense in the whole "app neutrality" debacle. Honestly, what is the harm in a 3rd party client for their application that has no official presence on BlackBerry 10? Netflix as another example, if the service streams using HTML5, why is it not accessible from the BlackBerry 10 native browser? It's serious bs that companies with nothing to lose except more customers using their services on more devices block independent developers and usage via open standards.
    Easy, someone hacks snap10 and then suddenly the headlines read "Snapchat hacked 10,000 nudes leaked" it actually has happened, it doesn't even matter the fact is that Snapchat's servers and Snapchat's API are property of Snapchat Inc. And as such they have the right to tell everyone to **** off if they want, same as you can forbid people from going into your house they can forbid people from accessing their servers.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 12:48 PM
    **** like this is where John Chen actually made some sense in the whole "app neutrality" debacle. Honestly, what is the harm in a 3rd party client for their application that has no official presence on BlackBerry 10?
    The harm is that the actual owner of the software loses control over their brand. If the 3rd party app performs poorly or rips someone off, these things will be associated in the public's mind with the "real" app and its owner. SnapChat, very reasonably, doesn't want even to be associated with the work of a developer whose work may not be up to their standards.

To be sure, some companies are willing to open up APIs and take the risks, but you can hardly blame others for not doing so.

Do you see BlackBerry giving out APIs for third-party developers to build their own implementations of BBM?
    02-10-15 12:50 PM
    Easy, someone hacks snap10 and then suddenly the headlines read "Snapchat hacked 10,000 nudes leaked" it actually has happened, it doesn't even matter the fact is that Snapchat's servers and Snapchat's API are property of Snapchat Inc. And as such they have the right to tell everyone to **** off if they want, same as you can forbid people from going into your house they can forbid people from accessing their servers.

Posted via CB10
    Except that the notice they gave to Nemory had nothing to do with a breach in security or misuse of its API, no going into their home or server, just the use of the word "Snap" and a ghost logo. Sure, at the end of the day it's their property, they can put it on or refuse it from whichever platform they want, but it does put platforms like BlackBerry 10 or Tizen or Firefox or Ubuntu at a disadvantage when the effort to make the service available is done for free by third parties like Nemory.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 01:06 PM
    It happened unfortunately I've seen the proof

Posted via CB10
    Here's the proof of some of the beloved developers we have on CB I found this on the "side of the road" it show how low some devs are.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 02-10-15 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Images with another's personal info deleted. Can be replaced with redacted versions.
    mrfreeze and SPNKr like this.
    02-10-15 01:08 PM
    The harm is that the actual owner of the software loses control over their brand. If the 3rd party app performs poorly or rips someone off, these things will be associated in the public's mind with the "real" app and its owner. SnapChat, very reasonably, doesn't want even to be associated with the work of a developer whose work may not be up to their standards.

To be sure, some companies are willing to open up APIs and take the risks, but you can hardly blame others for not doing so.

Do you see BlackBerry giving out APIs for third-party developers to build their own implementations of BBM?
    It's clearly a "brand" issue for SnapChat since their beef seems to be in the name, use of the word "Snap" and the ghost logo. I'll agree, that calls for a tweaking in how his app is represented - making it clear that it is not officially endorsed by SnapChat.

BlackBerry doesn't need to give out its API. BBM is cross-platform.

Posted via CB10
    eduzojordan likes this.
    02-10-15 01:12 PM
    I won't ask for my money back from Nem.

That's probably doing more harm than good.

But I simply won't use his apps anymore.

Regardless, the only one I was really interested in was snapchat, and that wagon has left the station.

I'm more interested in getting people to use BBM anyway.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 01:12 PM
    Except that the notice they gave to Nemory had nothing to do with a breach in security or misuse of its API, no going into their home or server, just the use of the word "Snap" and a ghost logo. Sure, at the end of the day it's their property, they can put it on or refuse it from whichever platform they want, but it does put platforms like BlackBerry 10 or Tizen or Firefox or Ubuntu at a disadvantage when the effort to make the service available is done for free by third parties like Nemory.

Posted via CB10
    Its because the legal framework for copyright/trademark infringement is well understood and acted quickly upon. Sites that frequently host copyright material often have automated systems to remove unauthorized tv shows and movies for example. Snapchat is just using the easiest tool to get the app removed they have available to them. If Nem changes his app to not look like Snap at all and doesn't use any identifying info for Snap they'll use other means.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    02-10-15 01:15 PM
    Here's the proof of some of the beloved developers we have on CB I found this on the "side of the road" it show how low some devs are.

Attachment 332850
    Attachment 332851

Posted via CB10
    This is sad.....the guy who wrote this clearly has no life. And I never really like telling people they have "no life" but in this case, it's perfectly fine and you could bet that if he wrote that message to instagram he probably sent one to snapchat as well.....

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz, mrfreeze, raino and 2 others like this.
    02-10-15 01:17 PM
    Insta10. At least get the app name right.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 01:25 PM
    That's because the Trademark infringement was the only violation that requires legal action to address. At this time, the violation of the unauthorized use of their APIs could have been addressed through legal action, however they chose to handle it internally (likely because it's cheaper), hence their shutting down accounts using his 3rd party app. However, should the developer modify his app to abide by the Trademark infractions, and then take steps to sidestep Snapchat's ability to detect the use of his 3rd party app, then you could probably bet your bottom dollar that Snapchat will resort to legal action to have his app shut down entirely.
    filmgirl likes this.
    02-10-15 01:30 PM
    Wow what a snitch and a scumbag.

Karma has a way of working things out. Maybe he is in trouble for reverse engineering but there is no such thing as bad press. Just like busted hackers work for the FBI, maybe some company will notice this guy and hire him.

I think reverse engineering is pretty neat, as long as it's not hurting anyone. And in this case the competition was a free app. He was only catering to a few people on a dying/dead platform.

The only people he hurt were jealous whiners who ratted him out. There is nothing worse than a snitch, a stool pigeon, a rat.

So even if what he did wasn't totally right he gets my support because dirty rotten people who didn't write their own app wanted to ruin it for everyone else.

You watch. Someone is gonna hire this kid for thinking outside the box and breaking all your precious "rules" and then you're gonna be even more pissed when he's making some real cash.

Keep your head up kid!

Z30STA100-5 /10.3.1.2267 / T-Mobile USA
    02-10-15 01:34 PM
258 1234 ...