12-22-14 08:36 AM
205 ... 56789
tools
    Likely the same were cheering BB for suing the makers of Typo for copyright infringement.

It's only bad when it happens to BB, you know.
    If there's another company besides Typo that pops up tomorrow and starts infringing on copyrights, BB would go after them as well. Snapchat? Not so much. The WP8 app with in-app paid ad removal is still listed.
    08-21-14 03:35 PM
    Seriously BlackBerry should defend developers like Nemory! If SnapChat does not want to develop app for BlackBerry platform then it is up for grab for anyone to develop an app for it! Otherwise this is a lose-lose scenario for BlackBerry with cases like this IMHO

Posted via CB10
    They should like not sullying bb10 with android

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    08-21-14 04:00 PM
    If there's another company besides Typo that pops up tomorrow and starts infringing on copyrights, BB would go after them as well. Snapchat? Not so much. The WP8 app with in-app paid ad removal is still listed.
    Not necessarily. There are a few BlackBerry knockoffs that the company might not bother pursuing. Typo is definitely high profile.

In this case, if I were sending out C&Ds, the upfront pay versions would be first.
    08-21-14 04:07 PM
    Not necessarily. There are a few BlackBerry knockoffs that the company might not bother pursuing. Typo is definitely high profile.

In this case, if I were sending out C&Ds, the upfront pay versions would be first.
    True. Smaller knockoffs, or ones with...jurisdictional leverage (if you catch my drift...trying not to offend anybody by naming countries or regions ) are probably not worth pursuing. Point is, the blanket "they're protecting their APIs/IP" argument goes out the window if they choose to selectively go after some devs, especially the one who reaches a smaller audience. IOW, in this situation, WP8 is Typo to BB's small time operation.

I think the Snap2chat dev pulled his free app of his own accord (as opposed to a complaint from Snapchat) because he may be consolidating it with the paid app and providing the app under a new name for free. Which is a shame as he could have still made a few duckets off of ad revenue (which Snapchat must be ok with, apparently...)
    mnc76 likes this.
    08-21-14 04:19 PM
    When is "SnapShot" going to be released?? And Cause i purchased the "Pro Snap2Chat" do i get my money back??
    08-24-14 06:11 AM
    When is "SnapShot" going to be released?? And Cause i purchased the "Pro Snap2Chat" do i get my money back??
    You'll probably won't get your money back..

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 06:40 AM
    Likely the same were cheering BB for suing the makers of Typo for copyright infringement.

It's only bad when it happens to BB, you know.
    It's not the same though. BB sued Typo because by stealing the keyboard design Typo was actually entering into direct competition (for keyboard lovers) and threatening BB sales.

An analogous situation would be if Snapchat had released an app for BBW and Nemory had used their APIs to copy it and also charge for it. Then the two would be in direct competition and you'd have the same situation as above. But as things stand, Snapchat loses absolutely NOTHING from having Snap2chat co-exist.

I don't want to enter the debate further than this, just want to point out that the Typo comparison is not a fair one.

Posted via CB10
    mnc76 likes this.
    08-24-14 03:26 PM
    Plz does anybody know a way to get Snapshot from beta zone when it's not avaible in your country? (Belgium. It isn't there if I open the betazoneapp)
    08-24-14 03:30 PM
    Lesson learned. Do not try to profit off of someone else's work without their permission. Especially when that service is FREE.
    reeneebob and JeepBB like this.
    08-24-14 04:16 PM
    Lesson learned. Do not try to profit off of someone else's work without their permission. Especially when that service is FREE.
    And by FREE, you mean unavailable?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 05:11 PM
    Yes. Freely available as long as you don't use a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 07:20 PM
    I previously bought snap2chat from bbw, but then I installed 10.3 so I lost all my apps as normal.

Does anyone know where I can get it back from or how I can get snap2chat back??

Thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 10:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    Uhm... it's free on every platform. BlackBerry included via .apk

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 10:29 PM
    I previously bought snap2chat from bbw, but then I installed 10.3 so I lost all my apps as normal.

Does anyone know where I can get it back from or how I can get snap2chat back??

Thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    If you don't have a Beta Zone account, you can download the .bar file here: http://nemorystudios.blogspot.fr/201...2chat.html?m=1

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 10:30 PM
    Uhm... it's free on every platform. BlackBerry included via .apk

Posted via CB10
    Uhhh... The Android version is not supported by SnapChat, push notifications don't work (making it difficult to chat), the camera doesn't even focus (making it terrible to snap), and you constantly get a pop up notification telling you that it won't work without Google Play Services.

As far as I'm concerned, SnapChat is not available on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 04:39 AM
    Uhhh... The Android version is not supported by SnapChat, push notifications don't work (making it difficult to chat), the camera doesn't even focus (making it terrible to snap), and you constantly get a pop up notification telling you that it won't work without Google Play Services.

Posted via CB10
    Google Play Services can be patched. Other issue is spacebar doesn't work.

Cons snap2chat: No chat function

Posted with my awesome Z10
    08-25-14 05:38 AM
    And by FREE, you mean unavailable?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't matter and that is not the point. The service is free and that is how the developers intended it to be. If they don't want it on BB10 then so be it, but that doesn't give other developers the right to profit off of their work just because they are bringing the service to the platform.

Let's see how long it takes for Facebook to crack down on his messenger app (which is another free service he is profiting from). I don't know FaceBooks policy though, so it may be fine by them.
    08-25-14 06:48 AM
    It doesn't matter and that is not the point. The service is free and that is how the developers intended it to be. If they don't want it on BB10 then so be it, but that doesn't give other developers the right to profit off of their work just because they are bringing the service to the platform.

Let's see how long it takes for Facebook to crack down on his messenger app (which is another free service he is profiting from). I don't know FaceBooks policy though, so it may be fine by them.
    ...except 6snap profits from this service by downgrading the user interface with ads and then charging users to remove them, thereby profiting off the work of SnapChat by using the service as a vehicle for revenue-generating ads or in-app purchases.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 07:55 AM
    ...except 6snap profits from this service by downgrading the user interface with ads and then charging users to remove them, thereby profiting off the work of SnapChat by using the service as a vehicle for revenue-generating ads or in-app purchases.

Posted via CB10
    How do you know that they do not have permission? For all we know, Snapchat might be going after them next.

If not, then Snapchat may not see charging for the removal of ads from a third party app as malicious as charging for access to their free service.
    08-25-14 08:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's personal opinions, based on the OS you're running's optimizations for the Android application in question.

As far as technicalities go, SnapChat is available for BlackBerry 10, no debate about it.

Can I install it? Yes = Available.

With 10.3 and 10.3.1 Android Optimizations getting better with every OS, don't be surprised if it's functional to your "standards" when it's official.

All you said was that it's not 100% functional in your experience. But that doesn't mean it's not available.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 10:52 AM
    That's personal opinions, based on the OS you're running's optimizations for the Android application in question.

As far as technicalities go, SnapChat is available for BlackBerry 10, no debate about it.

Can I install it? Yes = Available.

With 10.3 and 10.3.1 Android Optimizations getting better with every OS, don't be surprised if it's functional to your "standards" when it's official.

All you said was that it's not 100% functional in your experience. But that doesn't mean it's not available.

Posted via CB10
    Unless SnapChat releases the app for BB10 themselves, or release it for Amazon* then background push notifications technically _cannot_ work (unless one resorts to modifying the APK).

* - And even if it becomes available on Amazon (which it currently isn't), there is--currently--still no reason to believe push notifications would work in that case either.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 12:35 PM
    Unless SnapChat releases the app for BB10 themselves, or release it for Amazon* then background push notifications technically _cannot_ work (unless one resorts to modifying the APK).

* - And even if it becomes available on Amazon (which it currently isn't), there is--currently--still no reason to believe push notifications would work in that case either.

Posted via CB10
    My Pou app downloaded from snap gives me push notifications so why does it have to be modified?

08-25-14 03:16 PM
    My Pou app downloaded from snap gives me push notifications so why does it have to be modified?

Here are the modifications that must be made in order to port Google push notifications to BB10. This is all straight from BlackBerry themselves.

http://developer.blackberry.com/andr...roid_apps.html

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 07:51 PM
    Here are the modifications that must be made in order to port Google push notifications to BB10. This is all straight from BlackBerry themselves.

http://developer.blackberry.com/andr...roid_apps.html

Posted via CB10
    So the Pou app is modified in snap? Otherwise I wouldn't be able to recieve notifications

08-26-14 01:39 AM
    So the Pou app is modified in snap? Otherwise I wouldn't be able to recieve notifications

You can get notifications if the app is running, but you cannot get immediate background push notifications (of the type you need for a chat application) unless the app is running in an active frame.

If you want immediate notifications (like BBM, Whatsapp, etc..), you need to use BlackBerry's native push service, and to use BlackBerry's native push service you need to modify the APK.

SnapChat isn't as fun if you get your messages days late.

Some popular examples of Snap apps that have push notifications on Android, but none on BB10 (when the app is closed) include Instagram, FB Messenger, and Kik.

For example, if you don't open Instagram, you can get 1,000,000 likes on a picture and not get a single notification, EVEN if you have all "push" settings turned on in Instagram.

Attachment 293626
    Last edited by mnc76; 08-26-14 at 03:03 AM.
    08-26-14 02:46 AM
205 ... 56789