07-17-14 04:08 AM
55 123
tools
    I totally agree! Another example is my phone connecting to my car automatically at startup when I am driving with others in the car. There are some calls that require client privacy besides the content of the conversation (i.e., name and number). That is why I also carry a BT headset for those situations.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, I've had an instance where I started up someone's car and he was outside on a phone call. As soon as the car started, it linked the phone via BT and I was in there listening to the other person on the phone talking and I can see him outside staring at his phone wondering what happened to the call, lol.
    mas_quemex likes this.
    07-11-14 10:02 PM
    If its in the quick settings drop down, tell me how this is more work than putting it on a pad. That way you can actually just sit down and have it sync. I prefer this method
    Just sit down? After you have to unlock your phone to access the settings to turn it on? Or you mean to leave it on, so that it's automatic? Exactly what I am against it doing? Alrighty then...
    07-11-14 10:04 PM
    ...Tablets are bloody useless at things like Excel...
    Smartphone merging with pc, what is BlackBerry's response?-imageuploadedbycb-forums1405134763.442901.jpg

That's an iPad Air running Microsoft Excel.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    07-11-14 11:13 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1405134763.442901.jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	371.0 KB 
ID:	284519

That's an iPad Air running Microsoft Excel.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    So? I use spreadsheets a lot. Tablets are rubbish at them.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 02:49 AM
    Eh, I don't care about either. Microsoft Surface Pro with actual MS Excel for me, thanks...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    That being said, I would love for there to be a subscription to an Office competitor made by BlackBerry. 'BlackBerry Office'. Available in the browser, PC/Mac, BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry 10 tablet.

Posted via CB10
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    07-12-14 06:29 AM
    Eh, I've been given infractions for responding to someone else's antagonistic post. Yet I've had comments from people straight up calling me curse words with no provocation and their comments never get removed and I'm assuming they never got infractions... *shrugs*
    Oh I know but in that instance I was playing with Banco. Just wanted to make that clear.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    07-12-14 08:05 AM
    In a few years as SmartPhones evolve into more powerful devices and nanotechnology solves some if our technology bottlenecks (keeping chips cool...etc) we will see a different landscape of devices, until then Software is a nice option, and I'm looking forward to Blend.

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Kitchener (Canada)
    07-12-14 10:10 AM
    That being said, I would love for there to be a subscription to an Office competitor made by BlackBerry. 'BlackBerry Office'. Available in the browser, PC/Mac, BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry 10 tablet.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I don't see why they would make another if they already have Docs2Go. If anything, they need to really fix Docs2Go, make it just as usable as the actual MS Office programs, then make desktop versions as well so they can integrate your activity between the two. That would be nice... But I think I'm dreaming...
    07-12-14 12:48 PM
    No, the point is that irrespective of which platform you use, tablets are not very good at manipulating data in things like spreadsheets, as just about anyone who uses them heavily will tell you. You need a laptop to do it properly. To call that the opinion of a "fanboy" when the point applies to BlackBerry as much as anyone else is frankly idiotic.

Posted via CB10
    Don't bother man, now you'll just be called a fanboy. Go read all of his other posts. He comes here just to talk crap about BB at any chance he gets. He tried to tell me he's "device agnostic" so I took him up on the challenge and looked at his profile, but yah, every post was anti-BB and pro-iOS, so... It's a waste of time trying to reason with him. No matter what, everything done on iOS is awesome, and everything done on BB is garbage. End of story. I guess he got bored of iMore so now he's here... for some reason...
    grover5, Banco and mas_quemex like this.
    07-12-14 12:50 PM
    Well, I don't see why they would make another if they already have Docs2Go. If anything, they need to really fix Docs2Go, make it just as usable as the actual MS Office programs, then make desktop versions as well so they can integrate your activity between the two. That would be nice... But I think I'm dreaming...
    I think that getting a native port of MS Office would be best, but outside that, I agree: sprucing up D2G is the next logical step. Cloud compatibility, etc...
    07-12-14 02:52 PM
    I think that getting a native port of MS Office would be best, but outside that, I agree: sprucing up D2G is the next logical step. Cloud compatibility, etc...
    Not only that, it doesn't actually recognize all of the functions on excel, especially if dynamic cell content is several levels deep, which I do on a lot of my spreadsheets that automatically calculate things. I have spreadsheets that work on my PC with Excel, but on D2G a bunch of cells would just show ####### or something like that... They need to make it full function first, then add more features to it...
    07-12-14 03:23 PM
    If they let me install apps outside BB10 environment (such as Eclipse, Sublime Text 3, Gimp) and full access to QNX console then I'm all ears. Of course on better hardware.
    A compromise would be BB10 apps running inside Windows from a phone. A better alternative for most I think.
    07-12-14 08:05 PM
    With the BB10 you don't need a PC. I can understand with apples outdated and old OS why you would need a PC to supplement the iphone and android can be a mess at times.

Posted via CB10
    Well there are still some things I think people prefer doing on their laptops, I don't think it's a need nor is it a supplement to their phone. Currently I reply to text messages I receive on my phone from my computer using apps from the google play store and corresponding app for windows (can do the same on hangouts). I can send links/music/pictures etc via the same app to my tablet or phone also but I think it's great that Apple and Google are making these features native so that you don't need extra apps.
    07-12-14 08:37 PM
    Not only that, it doesn't actually recognize all of the functions on excel, especially if dynamic cell content is several levels deep, which I do on a lot of my spreadsheets that automatically calculate things. I have spreadsheets that work on my PC with Excel, but on D2G a bunch of cells would just show ####### or something like that... They need to make it full function first, then add more features to it...
    It's both the power and the size of the display.

Nothing on a phone is as robust as on a computer. Excel is anaemic. I shudder at the idea of creating pivot tables on a phone. Visio nonexistent. Even a rudimentary database like Access.

No way would I ever dream of conducting business exclusively out of any phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
    Banco likes this.
    07-13-14 06:58 AM
    You're running Visio on your BB10 in this manner today?

Posted via CB10
    Not visio, but that is because I don't have the need. I have run a specialized program for control scientific instruments. The site ware is windows based, and made to run as client server. The servers are set up, and then citrix supplies virtual clients. Usual this is accessed from a windows pc. But I have used bb10 and. PlayBook using the citrix receiver. This worked even without being designed for this purpose. This works with any application set up on the citrix environment... so I imagine visio would work quite well also. The phone is really just a portal. The biggest disappointment is seeing how involved citrix was at blackberry jam (1st one), and then it seems they don't update their app for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 08:56 AM
    So I'm assuming you're on BES?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    07-13-14 09:00 AM
    It's both the power and the size of the display.

Nothing on a phone is as robust as on a computer. Excel is anaemic. I shudder at the idea of creating pivot tables on a phone. Visio nonexistent. Even a rudimentary database like Access.

No way would I ever dream of conducting business exclusively out of any phone.

The key term is exclusively... but for enterprise... there is usually some money to drive efficiency.... and money can buy a server to allow for application to be run server side, and all the phone to be a portal. this is already heavily practiced in the enterprise environment. VPN set up on the phone, and wifi, cell, any connection gets you your application. This isn't practical for the consumer yet.... YET. but imagine a cheap home server with auto configured VPN and applications. Bam, power on the go. I'm shocked no one has pursued the business model. Most likely cost is an issue... but there are some who would pay $$$ to have something like visio in their pocket all the time.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 09:03 AM
    So I'm assuming you're on BES?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    No need for BES if you are on the same network as the severs. (work wifi)

No need for BES elsewhere, just a secure VPN connection.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 09:26 AM
    The key term is exclusively... but for enterprise... there is usually some money to drive efficiency.... and money can buy a server to allow for application to be run server side, and all the phone to be a portal. this is already heavily practiced in the enterprise environment. VPN set up on the phone, and wifi, cell, any connection gets you your application. This isn't practical for the consumer yet.... YET. but imagine a cheap home server with auto configured VPN and applications. Bam, power on the go. I'm shocked no one has pursued the business model. Most likely cost is an issue... but there are some who would pay $$$ to have something like visio in their pocket all the time.

Posted via CB10
    Ah dang.

Thanks.

The argument I was getting ready to make at my agency to revive the argument for BES10 with BB10 is gone then. We were on BES. Now we're on Note phones on Good. And Good does not support BB outright.

Thank you. And sorry for the derail. Got excited for a sec.

07-13-14 09:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    We use Visio a lot.

And we were on BES. Now we went to Good and I was trying to build an argument to return to BB using Citrix quoting your use case.

07-13-14 09:35 AM
    Oh also wifi not allowed for us.

07-13-14 09:36 AM
    Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    07-13-14 10:13 AM
    Yeah, sure. Good luck with that. Perhaps Blackberry should attempt to produce a successful smartphone, first. Then, go after the PC market. How about BB10 replacing BBOS for starters?
    It depends on your use, for Web browsing, banking, streaming music my Z30 has replaced my PC.
    BB10 adoption has been slow but it will pick up with BES12 release in the fall enterprise balked at maintaining two servers two manage both BBOS and BB10 watch the uptake especially in the early part of 2015. BlackBerry will have a small market share but they'll be profitable and that's good for shareholder and BlackBerry users

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    07-13-14 10:18 AM
    True except that some agencies already left BB altogether. As in mine. And no matter how I pushed the issue I got nowhere.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    07-13-14 12:21 PM
    Just sit down? After you have to unlock your phone to access the settings to turn it on? Or you mean to leave it on, so that it's automatic? Exactly what I am against it doing? Alrighty then...
    You could then charge your phone in another room or let somebody you trust play a game or something. Turn it on once for the night. Or have it on a schedule that you can manually override for those times your schedule changes. Lots of benefits to outweigh the 2 seconds of swiping up then down to turn it on.
    07-15-14 08:38 PM
55 123