12-03-12 11:38 AM
32 12
tools
    It could be big news, or.......

It could continue to be for VZW customers only.
    11-30-12 07:56 PM
    With the recent news of there being a Skype contact card field in BB10 wouldn't it be something if MS and RIM actually got together and allowed one another to use eachother's application? Imagine a BB with Skype and a WP8 with BBM. Wouldn't that be great? Or just a pipe dream?
    11-30-12 08:24 PM
    I am uneasy about withholding Skype for launch... the anticipation for Skype and Netflix on BB10 undermines the excitement about BB10 itself. I think it would be great if they released Skype for PlayBook a few weeks before BB10, so people would KNOW it's going to be on BB10 and BB10 launch day wouldn't be a "Will Skype & Netflix be on BB10?" distraction. Third party apps shoudn't be the focus of BB10 launch. It should be 'leaked' more conclusively before Jan 30.
    12-01-12 12:59 AM
    BlackBerry has always supported Yahoo Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk (chat) etc. So, I think the "Skype" field that has been spotted is simply because Microsoft has shutdown Windows Messenger and switched to Skype as their messenger. So, the Skype is the new windows messenger. So, just because there is a Skype field, it doesn't mean that RIM is giving us ability to voice/video chat using Skype. It could be just text-based-chat like we used to have in Windows Messenger. No voice, no video.

That said, I wish they'd allow full Skype (with video and voice). It may not be most-used app but it's one of the most downloaded apps on other platforms. People want it even if they don't use it much. And for RIM to succeed, it's important that they support as many top-downloaded/top-voted/most-used apps at launch. They haven't released a new phone in over a year and have had plenty of time to work on their new QNX based BB 10. So, I hope they get it done in-time. If top-app makers are not keen on developing for BB 10, RIM can do the development for them. RIM already develops the Facebook, Twitter etc app internally. It could do the same for Skype, Kindle, Netflix, Hulu etc.
    My 2 cents.
    12-02-12 11:46 PM
    By the way, how does Skype work for VZW customers? Is it an actual VoIP/P2P app or does it work more like a calling card? The user opens the Skype app, places a call. The call actually uses regular voice network (instead of data/wifi/3g/4g data) and dials in an access number and the access number automatically patches the call to destination?

Or is it an actual app? The app uses data (voip/p2p protocols) to connect to destination?
    12-02-12 11:48 PM
    if you watch bbjam asia part 1....

at 41.30, he talks about partners building apps for blackberry 10, but he cant tell you about the partners just yet.. could include skype....

at 49.03, he talks about the app ecosystem in australia, and mixes his words... he mentions they are building a local ecosystem that include companies like netflix... but then corrects himself and says quickflix...

obviously this was a slip of the tongue... but also it could be that netflix will actually be coming to bb10...
    12-03-12 10:59 AM
    if you watch bbjam asia part 1....

at 41.30, he talks about partners building apps for blackberry 10, but he cant tell you about the partners just yet.. could include skype....

at 49.03, he talks about the app ecosystem in australia, and mixes his words... he mentions they are building a local ecosystem that include companies like netflix... but then corrects himself and says quickflix...

obviously this was a slip of the tongue... but also it could be that netflix will actually be coming to bb10...
    Lol. That's great. They are just so excited their mouth runs away with them.
    12-03-12 11:38 AM
32 12