07-28-09 10:46 AM
28 12
tools
    More info here:

http://www.berrygurus.com/2009/07/skyfire-blackberry-alpha-testing-halted/

Today our alpha application was leaked. We are temporarily halting our Alpha program. As you know, we were working with a small group of you under NDA and our intent was not to open the program beyond that small number right now.

We appreciate your feedback on Alpha3, and in the next few weeks we'll be sending you a new build to test. In the meantime, the servers will be down and you will not be able to use the application.
    Source: my email

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 03:02 PM
    man, more delays. It seems like this is never going to come out.
    07-27-09 03:03 PM
    man, more delays. It seems like this is never going to come out.
    You can thank whoever leaked it for that. The alpha testers can't even use it now. Definitely gonna cause more delays for sure.

07-27-09 03:04 PM
    How can you complain? this delay was caused by the leak and the stress it caused/(would have caused) on their server
    07-27-09 03:05 PM
    My guess would be that they're simply going to revise the code to include some sort of a verifier. That way if it's leaked they can simply change the code's identifier and the old code is instantly unverified. It allows them to quickly disable any leaks. It is one more bit of code to break and design and keep up with, but it fixes that problem.

I remember the initial skyfire discussion wasn't going to cover all BB's, but have they stated that they are designing or going to design a version to work with the Storm 2? Last I had heard that wasn't on the table as a device, so I kinda doubt it, but it would be nice if it did. Do we know whether it was going to support the Storm 1?
    07-27-09 07:11 PM
    They sent me an e-mail last week 'thanking me for my interest' in being a tester. Right now they are focusing on the bold.
    07-27-09 07:19 PM
    great, thanks for leaking it *******.
    07-27-09 07:27 PM
    SkyFire should and actually does know better than to release a build that anyone can use. They should have taken the same precautions they did with the WM beta's. If you were not a beta tester you could download skyfire but not use it. tsk tsk skyfire.
    07-27-09 07:36 PM
    SkyFire should and actually does know better than to release a build that anyone can use. They should have taken the same precautions they did with the WM beta's. If you were not a beta tester you could download skyfire but not use it. tsk tsk skyfire.
    How dare you blame Skyfire?? No way. If the people who signed their NDA's would have integrity and be honorable none of this would have happened. Its not Skyfires fault people can't honor their word.
    07-27-09 08:14 PM
    Yeah its not Skyfire's issue that person's that agreed to NDA's did not honor those agreements. They were using a test server on a limited about of users to make sure the application worked flawless. Thanks to some that test environment is corrupted and must be setup again.. Shame..
    07-27-09 08:37 PM
    More info here:

Source: my email

Skyfire BlackBerry Alpha Testing Halted | BerryGurus

Just repairing your link. Thanks for the info.

07-27-09 08:44 PM
    Not skyfires fault.. Sigh.. I had to agree, I was super excited when I started using skyfire. It was super super slow. And now I tried just now and I couldn't even make the application work. Sigh... Guess we gotta wait longer for this. =\

07-27-09 08:45 PM
    I dare because like you I am entitled to my opinion. Also there is a reason SkyFire had every beta on WM devices tied to each device...for this exact reason. Why they chose to do it differently for BlackBerry is beyond me.

Last I knew there was not a rigorous screening process for skyfire to test someone's honor, I agree people should stick to their NDA's but alas that is not always the case...Leaked everything(OS's, DM's, and anything else in demand.) skyfire is no exception and they should treat their software as they always have.

How dare you blame Skyfire?? No way. If the people who signed their NDA's would have integrity and be honorable none of this would have happened. Its not Skyfires fault people can't honor their word.
    07-27-09 08:57 PM
    I blame the tester who was probably high in leaking this out. But, not like the BB has three other browsers that I have to cry and kill myself over. Lame story, this is not even news.

07-27-09 11:18 PM
    I blame the tester who was probably high in leaking this out. But, not like the BB has three other browsers that I have to cry and kill myself over. Lame story, this is not even news.

not a tester per se, as it has been spread around for a while now, but they know who did it.

now we'll get to wait even longer for a good version, good job
    07-27-09 11:33 PM
    Anyone read the comments on BGR about this? Too funny.

07-27-09 11:39 PM
    Anyone read the comments on BGR about this? Too funny.

ahh yes, there has been some tomfoolery afoot
    07-28-09 05:02 AM
    Skyfire BlackBerry Alpha Testing Halted | BerryGurus

Just repairing your link. Thanks for the info.

Thank you! I tinkered with it trying to figure out what the heck I missed but couldn't. Normally it does it automatically for me. I don't know why it didn't this time. :/

07-28-09 05:07 AM
    Stop whining, and move on. In the tech sector leaks happen. What is the big deal?! Change the server address and move on.

What? We should feel bad for testing all beta OS leaks and supplying INVALUABLE feedback to the developers for free?! I think not, quite the opposite. I believe that developers have long ago adopted the "controlled" leak of software as part of the debugging and QA process.

Those of us participating in testing leaks, betas, alphas, what-not deserve a little more than a naked finger in our face, please.

And stop finding excuses for this or that being delayed. If this is how things worked, we need to expect the next blackberry OS at least 400 light years from now. Based on the number of pre-production berries out their in the hands of non-RIM personnel, we should see the next model in a little over 200 light years. Give me a break and start behaving properly. USE the feedback you received and miraculously you might be closer to deployment than you think!

On a side note, I wish to stress that, violating *ANY* agreement, be it a two-side handshake or a proper NDA is the ****tiest human behavior. I do not support it, I do not condone it, I do not solicit it and am against it. However, outside the purely moral domain, whining and crying over spilled milk in the face of well-wishers is outright rude and uncalled for.

Just my .02
    07-28-09 05:38 AM
    +1

Poor show for blaming Skyfire.
    07-28-09 07:55 AM
    Stop whining, and move on. In the tech sector leaks happen. What is the big deal?! Change the server address and move on.

What? We should feel bad for testing all beta OS leaks and supplying INVALUABLE feedback to the developers for free?! I think not, quite the opposite. I believe that developers have long ago adopted the "controlled" leak of software as part of the debugging and QA process.
    You're really missing the mark here. Do you think RIM cares about feedback from people here about beta OSs?

First off the leaks that are here are weeks or even months old. Second they have their own proper documenented testing structure, a few posts from JoeBlow on the forums saying his battery life sucks means nothing to them.

Then look at the BBM leak, there are tons of threads here where people messed up their phone and called the carrier support.

Skyfire was doing the BB community a great thing by bringing us our browser and by it leaking it has slowed the process down.

And as a developer heres a point, the last app I was working on I did a private beta, had about 15 people and got great feedback.

I just recently posted a new beta app in the 3rd party forum here for everyone to try and asked for feedback. I had about 1,500 downloads of it (according to my server logs), and less than 10 people left feedback.
    Last edited by Shao128; 07-28-09 at 08:22 AM.
    07-28-09 08:20 AM
    blaming skyfire for this is like blaming a car company for voiding your powertrain warranty when you blow your motor with a 300 shot of nitrous.

there was an NDA with the testers. they knew this. if they could not agree, then they wouldnt have been in the testing. its not liek skyfire is pulling this NDA stuff out of their asses.
    07-28-09 08:21 AM
    This is somewhat propaganda... I agree that testers should honor their NDA but everyone that is complaining about it being leaked would be the first ones downloading it, cmon guys we all have "leaked" blood on our hands. They should have and COULD have done a better job protecting their embryo. Both sides share blame, THIS IS THE TECH WORLD!!!
    07-28-09 09:06 AM
    This is somewhat propaganda... I agree that testers should honor their NDA but everyone that is complaining about it being leaked would be the first ones downloading it, cmon guys we all have "leaked" blood on our hands. They should have and COULD have done a better job protecting their embryo. Both sides share blame, THIS IS THE TECH WORLD!!!
    they did a fine job protecting it for the most part, even the ota site was username/pass protected. they can't guarantee that all of their alpha testers will honor the NDA. no apps in alpha/beta testing can guarantee that so they have no right to be blamed for it.
    07-28-09 09:50 AM
    The problem here is NOT Skyfire. The problem is the person/s who leaked it not having a single ounce of integrity. Not living up to the document they signed in which they said they would not distribute the software. The other problem is the sites that ran the leak. Especially Berry Review. I mean seriously, what were they thinking? Oh I know, hits. Traffic. Its ridiculous! I've wasted enough of my energy on this topic and it disgusts me thoroughly.....
    07-28-09 10:17 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD