06-02-19 08:00 AM
156 123 ...
tools
    Balsillie says yes ...
    Are You Afraid of Google? BlackBerry Cofounder Jim Balsillie Says You Should Be

https://thewalrus.ca/are-you-afraid-...you-should-be/
    04-11-19 03:57 PM
    Balsillie says yes ...

If you want access to the only ecosystem in the world outside of Apple's, then you have to deal with Google.

If you're worried, go to https://myaccount.google.com/privacycheckup and lock it down as tight as you can. But note that there is a trade-off in the level and quality of the services you receive.
    Jonneh and Byrese like this.
    04-11-19 04:04 PM
    While in many ways I don't like the data-driven economy that has developed.

I think neither would I like paying $200 a year for software updates or with separate fees for most any service that I wanted to use... Think about all your email accounts, social media accounts, and apps in general - how many of those are fully or partially paid for by this model?

For privacy sake, yes we'd all be better off.
    anon(10218918) and Elky64 like this.
    04-11-19 04:33 PM
    Balsillie says yes ...

Thanks for the link.

Even though Google provides an area in your profile to disable certain tracking, those concerned with the continual data scraping need to take preventative steps themselves.
    04-11-19 04:36 PM
    maybe just maybe one day the old good BB10 will raise again
    04-11-19 10:16 PM
    Watch the Weather Channel. It's pretty fearsome, sometimes! Heaven forbid you pay attention to politics, if that doesn't scare you, something is amiss, that actually has the ability to affect your everyday life. Haven't you heard the world is supposed to end in 11 years and 11 months? Or that it was supposed to end 30 years ago?

Take reasonable precautions and you'll live just fine. Stop worrying, it steals the joy from life.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 04-13-19 at 07:06 PM.
    04-11-19 10:32 PM
    Keep checking your settings - Google re-sets them occasionally. Why anyone would use Google Assistant and Alexa and sacrifice their privacy baffles me. My wife does use the assistant, says she has nothing to hide... scary stuff.
    rarsen and excollier like this.
    04-12-19 04:20 PM
    Keep checking your settings - Google re-sets them occasionally. Why anyone would use Google Assistant and Alexa and sacrifice their privacy baffles me. My wife does use the assistant, says she has nothing to hide... scary stuff.
    But since you brought it up, she now thinks you have something to hide ;-)
    Elky64, falbo, dantheman77 and 1 others like this.
    04-12-19 04:23 PM
    Balsillie says yes ...

That headline, while catchy, ignores the larger conversation being had in the article about big tech in general and what Balsillie is hoping to achieve. After all, the article points out he's still using an Android-powered BlackBerry.
    04-13-19 12:48 PM
    I would never use any personally identifiable information on a free Google platform or service. Period. It's not paranoia that Google is doing anything nefarious. I just value my privacy a lot more than most people. For example, I never bring my phone within a mile of my house unless it's in a Faraday bag, because I don't want data aggregators to de-anonymize my data by getting my overnight location from my carrier.

I have a work phone, with an address that AT&T has, but it's in my company's name, not mine, so AT&T doesn't know who is actually using it, and my Google account is set up with a non existent alias who can't be traced to me by anyone but a live government investigator using advanced tools.

If you know my name, I have a public record and that's fine, and I have a number of online profiles, which is also fine, but I do my best to keep my real life and my online and mobile phone lives from intersecting. So marketers, hackers, and the government entities that use aggregated data can see me, but they won't know who I am from mass surveillance.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    rarsen likes this.
    04-13-19 01:25 PM
    Watch the Weather Channel. It's pretty fearsome, sometimes! Heaven forbid you pay attention to politics, if that doesn't scare you, something is amiss, that actually has the ability to affect your everyday life. Haven't you heard the world is supposed to end in 11 years and 11 months? Or that it was supposed to end 30 years ago?

Take reasonable precautions and you'll live just fine. Stop worrying, it steals the joy from life.
    A voice of reason.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 04-13-19 at 07:07 PM.
    04-13-19 04:09 PM
    A voice of reason.
    I agree. If you find yourself "worried" it probably means you need a little more information. Get the info, take action if appropriate, then stop worrying.

BergerKing and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    04-13-19 04:31 PM
    I agree. If you find yourself "worried" it probably means you need a little more information. Get the info, take action if appropriate, then stop worrying.

Yup.
    This world, along with all the technology, can make people stress unnecessarily. Knowledge is key.
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-13-19 04:36 PM
    Yup.
    This world, along with all the technology, can make people stress unnecessarily. Knowledge is key.
    Man .....I couldn't have said better than this
    04-14-19 03:06 PM
    If you are afraid of Google, you should be much more afraid of your carrier, as they know as much if not more about you, but are also less skilled at keeping it private, and much more likely to share that data with the government (AT&T in particular - they brag about voluntarily giving nearly unencumbered access to raw data to the government).

Google at least has massive monetary motivation to keep your data private - their entire business model is based on it. The carriers are only too happy to sell your raw data, and they reserve the right to do so in your agreement with them.
    04-14-19 06:26 PM
    If you are afraid of Google, you should be much more afraid of your carrier, as they know as much if not more about you, but are also less skilled at keeping it private, and much more likely to share that data with the government (AT&T in particular - they brag about voluntarily giving nearly unencumbered access to raw data to the government).

Google at least has massive monetary motivation to keep your data private - their entire business model is based on it. The carriers are only too happy to sell your raw data, and they reserve the right to do so in your agreement with them.
    Especially since the government has more regulatory oversight in place with the carriers. It's no secret, the government in any country has ability to "arm-twist" utilities.
    04-14-19 06:31 PM

With all due respect to BBapadtor who I really respect a great deal, I have always wondered about this aspect.
    04-14-19 08:24 PM
    With all due respect to BBapadtor who I really respect a great deal, I have always wondered about this aspect.
    Luckily, BB10adopter111 is always good source and is pretty objective for you know, a BB10 guy... LOL
    04-14-19 08:57 PM

Two different privacy and security threats.

I completely agree that carriers' practices threaten both our privacy and our security, both digital and physical. I have moved my personal mobile account to a prepaid account with a carrier who does not know my identity, and I never use the issued phone number (data only). I use a VPN and VOIP accounts, which are also only traceable to a number of aliases. Finally. That phone is never allowed to transmit to towers anywhere near my home or work.

It's annoying that I had to do all that just to protect my right to privacy, but it's worth it to me. Once I figured out the system, it's no more difficult than how I used to use my device.

chetmanley likes this.
    04-15-19 11:15 AM
    Two different privacy and security threats.

I completely agree that carriers' practices threaten both our privacy and our security, both digital and physical. I have moved my personal mobile account to a prepaid account with a carrier who does not know my identity, and I never use the issued phone number (data only). I use a VPN and VOIP accounts, which are also only traceable to a number of aliases. Finally. That phone is never allowed to transmit to towers anywhere near my home or work.

It's annoying that I had to do all that just to protect my right to privacy, but it's worth it to me. Once I figured out the system, it's no more difficult than how I used to use my device.

You can't use your phone near home or work?

That's a little more than annoying...
    04-15-19 03:05 PM
    You can't use your phone near home or work?

That's a little more than annoying...
    I can make and receive calls for all my numbers on all my phones. I just switch devices rather than share my home address with my carrier.

One picks one's battles. My personal.phone goes into a Faraday bag before I get close to home. I don't lose any functionality I care about.

04-15-19 07:17 PM
    I'm not afraid of Google. I just go by this very principle: If it's private, don't publish it.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    lou2969 and TgeekB like this.
    04-15-19 08:56 PM
    I'm not afraid of Google. I just go by this very principle: If it's private, don't publish it.

That's exactly what I have done since switched to the Motion... love the phone but still afraid....
    04-16-19 10:24 AM

That will protect you from certain kinds of problems. The reason that the loss of privacy due to the commercial data sharing model is problematic is that it's becoming quite simple for marketers and enemies to use that information to create bubbles of information around individuals designed to filter information to change how they think about things that they care about.

Marketers use these techniques to influence people's buying decisions, and political and national adversaries use these techniques to influence people's political, scientific and social opinions. The increasing sophistication of AI and machine learning make these strategies viable and effective.

anon(10218918) likes this.
    04-16-19 11:43 AM
    That will protect you from certain kinds of problems. The reason that the loss of privacy due to the commercial data sharing model is problematic is that it's becoming quite simple for marketers and enemies to use that information to create bubbles of information around individuals designed to filter information to change how they think about things that they care about.

Marketers use these techniques to influence people's buying decisions, and political and national adversaries use these techniques to influence people's political, scientific and social opinions. The increasing sophistication of AI and machine learning make these strategies viable and effective.

Marketers have used different techniques to influence people forever (my opinion). I agree technology makes it more complex but it takes a willing person to fall for the marketing. I don't.

As far as creating bubbles of information and loss of privacy, I believe as others have said being smart and using this technology as you want to use it (not let others determine that) allows us to benefit from its advantages while still being as private and protected as we can. It's a difficult road to traverse and we all need to decide what works for us.

What I want to emphasize is the sky is not falling as some will have us believe.
    04-16-19 03:50 PM
156 123 ...