today Boeing has launched a pretty decent phone with extreme security , and it has been targeted towards the military and uncompromising security , should BlackBerry be worried about taking over its place by competitors like this ?

leave your comment about what you guys think about blackberry and its competition in the field of security !

02-28-14 12:18 AM
    In a word? Yes.

The problem, as I see it, is that these companies don't have the secure mobile space as their primary business. Time and money can be dangerous opponents. Samsung, for example, can afford to make mistakes.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-28-14 01:32 AM
    If a Military contractor like Boeing is doing secure phones then yes they should be worried as Boeing has unlimited cash to bring in Talent to really develop and get DoD money, they already have relationships

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 01:42 AM
    No. Competition is always good. Will keep BlackBerry from resting on their laurels and force them to keep innovating.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    02-28-14 01:54 AM
    i find it very confused looking at Boeing as a mobile phone manufacturing company , i don't think have have enough experience in mobile security as blackberry does .
    02-28-14 02:01 AM
    Boeing has been dealing with secure/encrypted digital radio communications since at least the 80s, if not before. They aren't new to the game by any means. Do you have any idea how many National Security assets Boeing provides?

They may be new to making smartphones, but they've been innovating in technology for a LONG time, and have a HUGE breadth and depth of knowledge to draw from.

While I suspect BB is still the best in the "secure services on smartphones" world, there are a dozen or more companies, big and small, who are gunning for BB's pie and are already taking slices for itself. BB should absolutely be worried.
    02-28-14 02:23 AM
    Boeing has been dealing with secure/encrypted digital radio communications since at least the 80s, if not before. They aren't new to the game by any means. Do you have any idea how many National Security assets Boeing provides?

They may be new to making smartphones, but they've been innovating in technology for a LONG time, and have a HUGE breadth and depth of knowledge to draw from.

While I suspect BB is still the best in the "secure services on smartphones" world, there are a dozen or more companies, big and small, who are gunning for BB's pie and are already taking slices for itself. BB should absolutely be worried.
    It's not the easy Troy...You need a proven experience.. Carrier support...Just because it's from Beoing does not mean big enterprise will install it...Overtime it might take some customers but it will take a very long time to beat BlackBerry in its own game i.e security...BlackBerry needs just a year to get on stable grounds and bury
    the shorts

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 02:43 AM

thanks for letting me know , i never knew that they were into security of radio communications
    02-28-14 02:45 AM
    It's not the easy Troy...You need a proven experience.. Carrier support...Just because it's from Beoing does not mean big enterprise will install it...Overtime it might take some customers but it will take a very long time to beat BlackBerry in its own game i.e security...BlackBerry needs just a year to get on stable grounds and bury
    the shorts

Posted via CB10
    Well, at last count (As per the Wikipedia page), they had 168,421 employees. Even if they introduced it at a level where their 'required' personnel get the phone (assuming 30% need it), you still have about 50k odd people in the first go.

If the standard gets employed by the FAA, you would have all airlines using it.

It's one small step for Boeing.......

LP&HG
    02-28-14 03:01 AM
    This phone seems to be for top top level security, a place above where BlackBerry has ever been anyway. The sheer cost of these phones (speculation) will not make these a viable solution for enterprise. On the cost side, it is similar to the add on encryption the German gov is using for BB10. Each one of these units with the added levels of security is over $2000. They aren't even releasing the specs of these phones. It's not a mass production product.
    02-28-14 06:47 AM
    At a cost of 2k per unit, they are not going to be flying off of the shelves. An average company can buy 6 new Blackberry, Apple or Android units for the price of one of the Boeing ones.

I know allot of folks on the corporate IT end and security is important, but not as big of an issue as one might think.

I now the NSA spying issue has changed the way folks look at their smartphone security, but there is an old saying that still holds true.

If you don't want someone knowing your personal information, don't send or broadcast it on any open network. History teaches us valuable lessons.

The Germans thought their naval code was safe during WWII with the Enigma machine, not knowing the British had cracked the code a year earlier. No software or hardware encrypted code is 100% safe and that's just the way it is.

Sent from using CB Forum App
    02-28-14 06:56 AM
    At a cost of 2k per unit, they are not going to be flying off of the shelves. An average company can buy 6 new Blackberry, Apple or Android units for the price of one of the Boeing ones.

I know allot of folks on the corporate IT end and security is important, but not as big of an issue as one might think.

I now the NSA spying issue has changed the way folks look at their smartphone security, but there is an old saying that still holds true.

If you don't want someone knowing your personal information, don't send or broadcast it on any open network. History teaches us valuable lessons.

The Germans thought their naval code was safe during WWII with the Enigma machine, not knowing the British hked the code a yead cracked thear earlier. No software or hardware encrypted code is 100% safe and that's just the way it is.

Sent from using CB Forum App
    It was Canada that cracked the code
    02-28-14 07:05 AM
    BlackBerry should be dead worried about losing USA military orders but that's it. No enterprise will or can buy those. No other government with basic sense of privacy or national security in mind will buy a US defence contractor made phone given all these NSA things.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    02-28-14 07:43 AM
    Yes. Not moving quickly enough will get you smashed around. See the migration from BlackBerry OS to BlackBerry 10 along the way.
    02-28-14 07:51 AM
    I think BlackBerry can provide reasonable security for a reasonable price making it available for the mass. And it's still a great smartphone.

The targeted group of Boeing seems to be very different. They want to provide an out of the box mobile security solution that doesn't need much customization in order to hold strictly classified data.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 08:45 AM
    Blackberry has a huge patent portfolio focusing on security, messaging, ect...

The chunk of Nortel patents they bought a few years back was mostly security and LTE related.

There can be a lot of competition but BBRY has a huge advantage with their IP.

I'm hoping they patent the hell out of bbm money and M2M products.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 08:57 AM
    BlackBerry should be, and is worried about the competition in their home turf. They are not resting on their heels, and have been working on things in the back to get all of the necessary approvals.
    02-28-14 09:05 AM
    This phones only security feature is its ability to self-distruct when tampered with. I could have sworn the NATO ordered a certain number of BB10 devices to tinker with. I would wish Boeing would partner with BlackBerry and come up with the ultimate security device using QNX embedded software.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 09:49 PM
    This phones only security feature is its ability to self-distruct when tampered with. I could have sworn the NATO ordered a certain number of BB10 devices to tinker with. I would wish Boeing would partner with BlackBerry and come up with the ultimate security device using QNX embedded software.

Posted via CB10
    This is NOT accurate. If approved for Classified use it has much more than just tamper resistance

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 12:27 PM
    This many be a us market thing sale internationally many be a little harder is the spy claim came to life. Look at cisco many foreign companies are not investing in us products do to security spying. So it may take off is some us companies but not a adoption Boeing is hoping. And plus it is on the android os.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 02:57 PM
    Judging by Chens response, he / BlackBerry is not worried, but... they should be.

We know what happened when the company wasn't worried in the consumer space either.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 03:27 PM