Blackberry 10 is based on QNX, which is a pretty reliable os and is really flexible.
    Blackberry could possibly make it into a server os quite easily, and it would be more reliable than a Windows server. It would mesh into Blackbeery's ecosystem well, especially if they offer a complete software suite including email and web servicing.

And it could also be used as an embedded os, like in expensive laboratory or medical equipment. Currently Windows is used, causing problems with incompatibility and viruses (because the os used is no longer supported by Microsoft, but newer os's do not support the hardware.

Thoughts? Do you think this is a viable market for Blackberry?
    01-08-14 12:06 AM
    Hmm personally, as a standalone server OS, no. There are a number of Linux distribution out there and companies these days tend to favour clouds.

As for embedded, maybe. But I want to see apps. I don't see why courier companies need to carry separate pda to get your signature or scan an item while all done on BB?
    01-08-14 12:34 AM
    They are already in the embedded OS market with QNX? They definitely need to expand this, but they have their foot in the door.

I have commented a bit on this, though not as much as I should have liked. Take a look at the posts http://forums.crackberry.com/general...3/#post9350946 . I wont quote/copy it here because it is entirely too long lol
    01-08-14 08:27 AM
    And it could also be used as an embedded os, like in expensive laboratory or medical equipment.

Thoughts? Do you think this is a viable market for Blackberry?
    QNX Medical
    QNX Industrial Automation

QNX Networking

The QNX Neutrino RTOS offers three multi-core modes of operation:
    • Asymmetric multi-processing (AMP) run the QNX Neutrino RTOS on each core using QNX transparent distributed processing as an IPC mechanism or use TIPC to communicate between QNX and Linux cores
    • Symmetric multi-processing (SMP) run a single instance of the QNX Neutrino RTOS to manage thread scheduling and shared resources
    • Bound multi-processing (BMP) run specific processes tied to individual cores with a single instance of the QNX Neutrino RTOS to manage shared resources

01-08-14 10:35 AM
    They must be doing something wrong if Medical companies still use Windows CE in devices that cannot be patched or secured as well as Windows requires.
    01-08-14 07:28 PM
    They must be doing something wrong if Medical companies still use Windows CE in devices that cannot be patched or secured as well as Windows requires.
    You can lead a horse to water, but if the cow is throwing grain out of it's but like a waterfall, he'll just go over and take a nibble.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    01-08-14 09:11 PM
    You can lead a horse to water, but if the cow is throwing grain out of it's but like a waterfall, he'll just go over and take a nibble.
    You should totally make this your sig.
    01-08-14 09:49 PM
    Medical companies can take years to replace ageing operating systems, since everything needs to be re validated.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 04:00 AM
    1/ Blackberry is already in the low margin embedded systems markets
    2/ Windows CE is plagued with viruses? What? Many embedded systems aren't even connected to the internet.
    3/ The primary server OS is Linux with ~60% market share and NOT Windows. UNIX and BSD fit into the remainder of the pie as well.

The OP contains numerous inaccurate statements and the question presented by this thread makes no sense at all. This thread is a complete train wreck. -.-
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 01-09-14 at 04:54 AM.
    01-09-14 04:40 AM
    1/ Blackberry is already in the low margin embedded systems markets
    2/ Windows CE is plagued with viruses? What? Many embedded systems aren't even connected to the internet.
    3/ The primary server OS is Linux with ~60% market share and NOT Windows. UNIX and BSD fit into the remainder of the pie as well.

The OP contains numerous inaccurate statements and the question presented by this thread makes no sense at all. This thread is a complete train wreck. -.-
    I would very much like to see stats on this. Not saying you are wrong, just curious where you got your information.
    01-09-14 02:27 PM
    I would very much like to see stats on this. Not saying you are wrong, just curious where you got your information.
    Sorry, I misstated the statistics a little bit since they were from the top of my head. (Which is why I used a "~".)

Refer to Wikipedia:
    Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

W3Techs projects 66.8% "Unix like" OS. Do note that most of the "Unknown" are likely Linux variants. Unix is not as big as it used to be. Security Space projects 58 - 78%.

I actually almost never see any websites powered by Windows. You can tell the OS a website is using by the error/crash messages websites throw. Most supercomputers and mainframes in the world are powered by Linux.

The target customer for Windows Server/Microsoft SQL Server are probably smaller business without significant server experience or know how. Linux administrators demand much higher salaries than their Windows counterparts and the license for SQL Server is much cheaper than Oracle.
    01-09-14 07:09 PM
    1/ Premier (Diebold) Voting machines
    2/ Hospital Medical Devices 'Rampant' With Computer Viruses - Forbes
    3/ Computer Viruses Are "Rampant" on Medical Devices in Hospitals
    Fu says that medical devices need to stop using insecure, unsupported operating systems. “More hospitals and manufacturers need to speak up about the importance of medical-device security,” he said after the meeting. “Executives at a few leading manufacturers are beginning to commit engineering resources to get security right, but there are thousands of software-based medical devices out there.”
    01-11-14 12:27 AM