10-20-13 11:40 PM
35 12
tools
    WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Oct. 17, 2013) - BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB) today announced that customers in the U.S. can purchase unlocked BlackBerry smartphones online directly from BlackBerry on ShopBlackBerry.com.
    The first models available for purchase on ShopBlackBerry.com are the BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry Q10 smartphones, which are available in both the black and white color models. The smartphones are SIM-unlocked, allowing customers to use them on GSM-based 4G LTE and 4G networks in the U.S. (AT&T, T-Mobile) and other countries around the world with carriers who operate supported GSM networks.

"For years we have been offering BlackBerry accessories directly to our customers on ShopBlackBerry.com and today we are pleased to launch direct sales of unlocked BlackBerry smartphones," said Robert Perry, vice president, Global Retail at BlackBerry. "Our first two breakthrough BlackBerry 10 smartphones are the first to be launched, and we expect to make additional BlackBerry smartphones available on an unlocked basis in the U.S., as well as other markets around the world."
    In addition to offering the BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry Q10 smartphones, ShopBlackBerry.com offers a variety of accessories, such as carry solutions, chargers and audio peripherals, for all BlackBerry smartphones.
    ShopBlackBerry.com Launches Sales of Unlocked BlackBerry Smartphones in the U.S.
    Bill9780 likes this.
    10-17-13 02:23 PM
    I wonder how the carriers will reply.
    Not in kind, I presume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    10-17-13 02:26 PM
    They may have only announced this today, but they have started doing this A few weeks ago.

Posted via CB10
    21stNow likes this.
    10-17-13 02:27 PM
    I wonder how the carriers will reply.
    Not in kind, I presume.

I'm not sure it would be a big loss. It's not like us carriers make any effort to sell blackberry, this is the best move they could make for the us market.

Posted from my Z10
    melb_me likes this.
    10-17-13 02:30 PM
    I'm not sure it would be a big loss. It's not like us carriers make any effort to sell blackberry, this is the best move they could make for the us market.

Posted from my Z10
    Totally agree, go into most outlets and the rep will try and sell you something other than a BlackBerry. This is the future of this business anyway, who really needs retail stores. BlackBerry does not! Good news I say.
    10-17-13 02:33 PM
    Posted by "Bastar"

I said I was in to look at the Z30. She immediately made this snotty face, shook her head and said "no". I was thinking Wtf???? I asked her why she would turn me off from a phone I specifically came in to look at and she said "because I don't like BB". I was shocked at this. Then I asked if they had a demo and she said "maybe in the drawer" and then didn't even offer to look. I then asked if she even used one and she said no...

Not much more that you can say really. It is the case 95% of the time.
    10-17-13 02:48 PM
    Posted by "Bastar"

I said I was in to look at the Z30. She immediately made this snotty face, shook her head and said "no". I was thinking Wtf???? I asked her why she would turn me off from a phone I specifically came in to look at and she said "because I don't like BB". I was shocked at this. Then I asked if they had a demo and she said "maybe in the drawer" and then didn't even offer to look. I then asked if she even used one and she said no...

Yeah so it looks like BlackBerry has made the right move then. Buy your phone, don't deal with stupid staff and pick your own carrier.

Posted from my Z10
    10-17-13 02:52 PM
    They ship to Canada .... why is there not a Canadian store ? Is there duty to pay ? Can I use the Z10 on my Bell account after paying a $35 activation fee ? Anyone know ?? thanks
    10-17-13 03:09 PM
    Yeah so it looks like BlackBerry has made the right move then. Buy your phone, don't deal with stupid staff and pick your own carrier.

Posted from my Z10
    maybe they can push their own updates too without going through carriers.
    10-17-13 08:17 PM
    Posted by "Bastar"

Maybe you should mention what country that post you quoted was from...

It wasn't the US
    10-17-13 08:23 PM
    I would get a Z30 if they make it available online. I wish BlackBerry would setup an affiliate program so we all can sell BlackBerry devices!!!!!!

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    10-17-13 08:52 PM
    Come on BlackBerry. Add the Z30 to the site so we can order them.

Posted via my awesome Z10
    10-18-13 11:08 AM
    If they put the z30 up there for 599 id buy 2 right now.
    10-18-13 12:12 PM
    If they put the Z30 up for any price, I'd buy one.
    DJM626 likes this.
    10-18-13 12:25 PM
    They should offer interest free financing for 12 and 24 months, that way they can get people who may not have the spare change to buy one outright. 100 profit and bypass the carriers.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 12:32 PM
    Yet another of these "I went into a store to buy a Blackberry and the sales rep punched me in the face and kicked me out the door and then followed me to my car and dented the hood" tales from the far side. Sigh.
    jupiter8, Rui Jorge and h20work like this.
    10-18-13 12:38 PM
    Well, I wouldn't and I don't know too many people who would. $549 might just cut it and it would also keep the providers in check, to make sure they won't overprice it.
    10-18-13 08:37 PM
    Yet another of these "I went into a store to buy a Blackberry and the sales rep punched me in the face and kicked me out the door and then followed me to my car and dented the hood" tales from the far side. Sigh.
    Why is this so hard to believe when so many people have experienced stupid sales reps trying sway people away from BlackBerry? Wtf?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 08:37 PM
    They should offer interest free financing for 12 and 24 months, that way they can get people who may not have the spare change to buy one outright. 100 profit and bypass the carriers.

Posted via CB10
    That's a good idea, but I think 12 months is to long, maybe 6 tops, with a small down payment

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 09:45 PM
    I believe the direct sales have more to do with clearing the z10/q10 inventory than making it easier for consumers. Z30 doesn't have an inventory problem... So it's not available.

Don't worry, just as soon as BB have a glut of unsold Z30's, I'm sure they'll be added to the site.
    10-20-13 05:30 AM
    I believe the direct sales have more to do with clearing the z10/q10 inventory than making it easier for consumers. Z30 doesn't have an inventory problem... So it's not available.

Don't worry, just as soon as BB have a glut of unsold Z30's, I'm sure they'll be added to the site.
    I believe your right.
    What should bb do with inventory once carriers decided not to carry bb in thier stores.

10-20-13 05:43 AM
    I believe your right.
    What should bb do with inventory once carriers decided not to carry bb in thier stores.

BlackBerry 10 fire sale playbook style...get BB10 phone start from $129 off contract or maybe buy a Z30 and get free Z10 + Q5
    10-20-13 11:18 AM
    BlackBerry 10 fire sale playbook style...get BB10 phone start from $129 off contract or maybe buy a Z30 and get free Z10 + Q5
    That would kill brand value, not a good thing when one is trying to sell itself. Also blackberry cannot afford a write-off, let alone another write-down.

10-20-13 11:50 AM
    This is the reason you don't work at BlackBerry's pricing department. BlackBerry isn't in liquidation.

Posted via CB10
    SK122387 likes this.
    10-20-13 12:05 PM
    This is the reason you don't work at BlackBerry's pricing department. BlackBerry isn't in liquidation.

Posted via CB10
    but BB have done something like that..

look on Playbook price less then 1 year after the launch they slash their price from $499 to $129 for 16 GB Playbook.

or BlackBerry Z30 launch on malaysia get free Z10, free 2 concert ticket, Urbanears headset for first 200 buyers and 50% discount on Z10 afer that.

now after slash BB Z10 price more than 40% they start slash Q10 price. with limited support from many carrier and store by selling only by online and removing BB10 entirely from their store .i think it's it is huge possibility if they still have many unsold BB10 phone.

That would kill brand value, not a good thing when one is trying to sell itself. Also blackberry cannot afford a write-off, let alone another write-down.
    they can't afford bad news last earning calls...but it doesn't stop them write off their Z10
    10-20-13 12:23 PM
35 12