While we all wait for graphene, Akron polymer scientists have developed a transparent electrode what can be used to create a shatterproof polymer screen. Obviously I can't link the article, but the sooner phones come out that can't break, the sooner portability returns to smart phones (and whomever implements it first could gain a lead)

The team's findings are published in the American Chemical Society's journal ACS Nano in the article titled "A Tough and High-Performance Transparent Electrode from a Scalable and Transfer-Free Method."
    06-06-14 07:10 PM
    I'd really like to see BlackBerry start using Gorilla Glass or some equivalent. It would really be great not to worry about scratching your screen

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-06-14 07:53 PM
    Gorilla Glass? You mean the shatter-prone crap they put on iPhones?
    06-06-14 07:55 PM
    Gorilla Glass? You mean the shatter-prone crap they put on iPhones?
    I mean the stuff they put on the GS4 and GS5. It's very good at resisting scratches. I've taken keys directly to my brother's GS4 screen and haven't been able to scratch it.

06-06-14 07:59 PM
    I would like for the next BlackBerry screen to be made from transparent aluminium.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_aluminum

Posted with my BlackBerry Z10!
    06-06-14 08:04 PM
    I would like for the next BlackBerry screen to be made from transparent aluminium.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_aluminum

Posted with my BlackBerry Z10!
    Sure thing Scotty. Maybe next you'd like to slingshot around the sun and break into a nuclear "wessel" to steal the protons.

One of my favorite of the original series movies. I loved that scene with Scotty trying to get the computer working at Plexicorp to show the guy the formula for transparent aluminum.

Nice Star Trek reference!

Last edited by crazigee; 06-06-14 at 08:36 PM.
    06-06-14 08:20 PM
    Obviously you don't know anything about aluminium and it's properties.
    06-06-14 09:47 PM
    You clearly didn't get the joke. Did you take the time to click the link he provided or read my post right after his?

It's a Star Trek reference.

eldricho and peednus like this.
    06-06-14 09:58 PM
    I don't think people should be especially confident in waiting for Graphene... the tech is still a few years off, and while it's currently known as a "2D" material, that's extremely conductive, there is a more effective 3D material known as Cadmium Arsenide - which is a great alternative, that's more useful.

There's no denying that graphene is a wonderful material ? strong, flexible and highly conductive ? but it?s taking a long time to become a commercial reality.

Cadmium arsenide has a 3D crystal structure, and tests show that electrons within it act like they do in graphene: as if they have no mass at all. That's what gives graphene its stunning electrical properties.

A number of samples of cadmium arsenide have been made and tested at the Diamond Light Source in the United Kingdom and at Berkeley Labs Advanced Light Source, all suggesting that cadmium arsenide behaves like a 3D version of graphene.

The huge benefit is that cadmium arsenide is easier to grow and work with because of its 3D nature. Graphene might have stolen an early lead, but it's going to have to work to keep a hold of it... that's if we ever see it commercially available..

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 11:02 PM
    I don't think people should be especially confident in waiting for Graphene... the tech is still a few years off, and while it's currently known as a "2D" material, that's extremely conductive, there is a more effective 3D material known as Cadmium Arsenide - which is a great alternative, that's more useful.

There's no denying that graphene is a wonderful material ? strong, flexible and highly conductive ? but it?s taking a long time to become a commercial reality.

Cadmium arsenide has a 3D crystal structure, and tests show that electrons within it act like they do in graphene: as if they have no mass at all. That's what gives graphene its stunning electrical properties.

A number of samples of cadmium arsenide have been made and tested at the Diamond Light Source in the United Kingdom and at Berkeley Labs Advanced Light Source, all suggesting that cadmium arsenide behaves like a 3D version of graphene.

The huge benefit is that cadmium arsenide is easier to grow and work with because of its 3D nature. Graphene might have stolen an early lead, but it's going to have to work to keep a hold of it... that's if we ever see it commercially available..

Posted via CB10
    Sapphire Glass could be an option in the mean time.

06-06-14 11:09 PM
    Also. If you read through the article

http://phys.org/news167925273.html

It isn't completely impossible. Although 40 femtoseconds isn't very long.

Posted via CB from my LE
    06-06-14 11:12 PM
    I mean the stuff they put on the GS4 and GS5. It's very good at resisting scratches. I've taken keys directly to my brother's GS4 screen and haven't been able to scratch it.

I have to commend you for your bravery. If I was your brother, I wouldn't advise it though.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    06-06-14 11:15 PM
    If I remember correctly gorilla glass is in its 3rd generation. Far stronger than the one on the iPhone 4. Rumor has it that Samsung is trying to get it's suppliers to bring down the price of sapphire glass as they forsee apple using it soon.
    06-07-14 05:09 AM
    While we all wait for graphene
    Did we? I did not know that lol

Joke a part, thanks for the article OP it is an interesting material that I can see improve a lot the mobile phone in general!

Posted via CB10
    Jamie Brahm likes this.
    06-07-14 09:12 AM
    I have to commend you for your bravery. If I was your brother, I wouldn't advise it though.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    I was a little concerned when he suggested it, however, it worked out. I was very impressed with the scratch resistance.

Gorilla Glass is getting better with each generation. I certainly think that it gives something to the consumer and that BlackBerry should consider it, or a similar string glass type product.

06-07-14 09:49 AM
    Well graphene screens may be ten years or so from commercialization (or less, who knows), but they make flexible and super hard screens, that can scroll and fold. Probably a lot of people haven't seen the prototypes or heard of the wonders of graphene (the applications go far beyond screens).

But this, which is just a simple to produce affair, cheap and hardy, could come in a lot quicker, to the commercial level.

Whomever gets a rubber reinforced phone, with a smash proof screen on it first, is going to probably take a lead I think. Its the absurdity of the touch screen, that no matter the reinforcement, they still shatter and stratch. Not really ideal for a device one carries all the time...
    06-08-14 11:34 PM

Gorilla glass is very scratch resistant because it is surface hardened to make the outer most layer extremely hard to resist scratches... this process (if not controlled properly) can harden to deeply and make the glass extremely brittle (more prone to shattering)... i believe with the new revisions of gorilla glass they are changing the formulas for the glass material and the processes to harden it

But even this can only be so good, its still just glass at the end of the day...

I believe some sort of scratch resistant plastic will be the future as others are suggesting

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 08:20 AM