07-10-12 02:11 PM
28 12
tools
    Please post updates, news, reactions in here.
    07-10-12 10:33 AM
    Not a lot of real information.

After the election of the Board and some other "houskeeping" they went to
    a statement by Mr. Heins where he reiterated most of what has been tossed
    around since the delay announcement.

Next up were shareholder questions. Apparently most shareholders also attended
    Jesus' second birthday party (read: old). The questions really did not shed any real
    light on RIMM, BB10, or the companies fortunes going forward.

There was one thing that did strike me as a bit odd and that was Mr. Heins
    alluding to "BBM as a platform" I am still at a loss for what that means or how
    it fits into their strategy.

One thing to note, and I am sure there will be those that dismiss it, is that
    about halfway through the stock started taking a downwward turn.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-10-12 at 10:47 AM.
    07-10-12 10:45 AM
    Not sure if it is directly related or not, but the stock is showing significant downward movement :-/
    07-10-12 10:45 AM
    If the investors had reservations about RIM's plans they certainly did not express them. They had their opportunity to speak out. If they chose not to do so then they should just go with the flow from now on and accept whatever the future brings.
    07-10-12 10:59 AM
    Not sure if it is directly related or not, but the stock is showing significant downward movement :-/
    I just sold off some of another holding I have in my TFSA in order to pick up another 150 RIM...
    Superfly_FR and hpjrt like this.
    07-10-12 11:08 AM
    While this was not Christal clear in the transmission ,I had to be sure, and it seems it is Heins says working on video chat integration into BlackBerry Messenger - Yahoo! Finance
    Sometimes I like when my dream (or "illusional forecast") comes true ... Sincerely hope it will.

BBM + Video Chat !
    07-10-12 11:12 AM
    07-10-12 11:25 AM
    While this was not Christal clear in the transmission ,I had to be sure, and it seems it is Heins says working on video chat integration into BlackBerry Messenger - Yahoo! Finance
    Sometimes I like when my dream (or "illusional forecast") comes true ... Sincerely hope it will.

BBM + Video Chat !
    I wonder if that was in response to carrier demands that RIM do something to ensure their devices require significantly more bandwidth in the future that the carriers can charge for.
    07-10-12 11:25 AM
    Sound like they are still planning to have a fragment Brand by continuing BB7 OS and Devices along with the new BB10OS and Devices.

It also sounds like they may still consider BB10 Devices as "premium" devices - I just hope they don't expect to be able to charge "premium" price for them... unless they can do something beyond the iPhone or the top Android Devices.
    Last edited by scalemaster34; 07-10-12 at 11:33 AM.
    07-10-12 11:30 AM
    But the Chairman of the Board thinks the Board needs to be "augmented"..
    RIM Promises Board Shake Up at Waterloo Meeting - Canada Real Time - WSJ
    07-10-12 11:32 AM
    I think BBM as a platform has to go bigger then just BBM + Video Chat. It was brought up on the AGM as the largest mobile social network in the world. Not to mention that it runs on it's own secure network.
    Why have they not leveraged this?

Some examples of leveraging social network in recent years on other platforms include:
    • Instagram
    • Words with Friends, etc...
    • mVOIP

In short, social media and interaction, online gaming and communication. To be honest, I don't know if I'm interested in a BlackBerry only network anymore in the North American market because 80% of my friends are on another platform. However I would go as far to say, these are the bases that iOS and Android has covered that has made their platforms addicting.
    07-10-12 11:35 AM
    I think BBM as a platform has to go bigger then just BBM + Video Chat. It was brought up on the AGM as the largest mobile social network in the world.

To be honest, I don't know if I'm interested in a BlackBerry only network anymore in the North American market because 80% of my friends are on another platform. However I would go as far to say, these are the bases that iOS and Android has covered that has made their platforms addicting.
    Is it just me or does something just not jive. How can it be the largest mobile social network in the world when RIM has less than 10% of the smartphone market worldwide and while all I keep hearing is how few friends people have left on BB to use BBM with - for instance your statement that 80% of friends are on another platform.

How do the numbers work here?
    07-10-12 11:42 AM
    Is it just me or does something just not jive. How can it be the largest mobile social network in the world when RIM has less than 10% of the smartphone market worldwide and while all I keep hearing is how few friends people have left on BB to use BBM with - for instance your statement that 80% of friends are on another platform.

I would guess most subscribers come from international/developing markets where BBM is a major reason for Blackberry devices
    07-10-12 11:46 AM
    Two issues that I'm glad were brought were lacking accessories or at least retailer failure to support PB and a whether or not BBX delays were BIS/BES or application related. Apparently its just a large amount of code from applications which is probably obvious but nice to clear up!

I wish RIM could offer more on the government hacking question as in they would have a solution for that. But I think the main problem there is human error as people inadvertently install or respond to an email disguised to be from an associate see:social engineering
    07-10-12 11:47 AM
    I would guess most subscribers come from international/developing markets where BBM is a major reason for Blackberry devices
    Agreed, BB customers in developing markets are heavy BBM users, but given an overall less than 10% market share, I still don't the statement.
    07-10-12 11:51 AM
    Agreed, BB customers in developing markets are heavy BBM users, but given an overall less than 10% market share, I still don't the statement.
    Meant still don't get the statement.

Also, to be the largest, wouldn't they have to get BBM out to the Apple and Android users?
    07-10-12 11:56 AM
    You're confused, I think. Current sales show RIM with low market share, but Blackberry is still a large portion of the overall active fleet of smartphones worldwide.

With 77+ million active subscriptions, that will represent considerably more than 10% of all smartphones.
    07-10-12 12:45 PM
    Isn't the 10% only the USA?
    07-10-12 12:57 PM
    But some of the investors present were not as committed to the board. During a somewhat confrontational question and answer session, one investor asked why members of RIMs board had let the companys continuing problems fester for so long, and argued that none of the old members of the board should stay on.
    Good point, IMO.
    07-10-12 01:03 PM

56 million BBM users apparently. Globally, this is how many people respond to that iconic ping. Potential untapped, and it's all on mobile only.
    07-10-12 01:08 PM
    But they have to make it so that other users without Blackberries can use it Or make it so compelling people will want to convert to a blackberry just to use BBM and the social media experience. Up to this point, in NA, there is no Draw to BBM.

Perhaps they are speaking in regards to BBM being more like Facebook and having Games etc where each bbm user can play against each other.. Not sure it makes alot of sense.

I do realize that there are BBM connected apps, but whenever i've tried playing them with my wife the games are aren't good at all, or they don't work very well.
    Last edited by adrenaline_x; 07-10-12 at 01:36 PM.
    07-10-12 01:19 PM
    CEO vows to turn RIM into "lean, mean machine" - Yahoo! Finance

Visions of John Candy (RIP, a very funny man from Ontario) in "Stripes"...
    07-10-12 01:23 PM
    You're confused, I think. Current sales show RIM with low market share, but Blackberry is still a large portion of the overall active fleet of smartphones worldwide.

With 77+ million active subscriptions, that will represent considerably more than 10% of all smartphones.
    You're talking about installed base instead of share of sales. Fair enough.

Total smartphones sold in 2010 = 304M, in 2011 491M, in 2012 - at least 300M to date.

Granted this is not additive, but with Android installed base now alone with over 300M, Apple over 200M, Symbian still over 200M, you get the picture. This is Worldwide, not US, installed. So what's the RIM global smartphone installed share? 15% ??
    07-10-12 01:25 PM
    You're talking about installed base instead of share of sales. Fair enough.

Total smartphones sold in 2010 = 304M, in 2011 491M, in 2012 - at least 300M to date.

Granted this is not additive, but with Android installed base now alone with over 300M, Apple over 200M, Symbian still over 200M, you get the picture. This is Worldwide, not US, installed. So what's the RIM global smartphone installed share? 15% ??
    Found some better numbers:

INSTALLED BASE OF SMARTPHONES BY OPERATING SYSTEM AS OF Q1 2012

Rank . OS Platform . . . . . . Units . . . . . Market share . . Was in Q4 of 2011
    1 . . . . Android . . . . . . . . . 328 M . . . . . 32 % . . . . . . . . ( 27 %)
    2 . . . . Symbian . . . . . . . . 299 M . . . . . 30 % . . . . . . . . ( 35 %)
    3 . . . . iOS . . . . . . . . . . . 178 M . . . . . 18 % . . . . . . . . ( 16 %)
    4 . . . . Blackberry . . . . . . 111 M . . . . . 11 % . . . . . . . . ( 12 %)
    5 . . . . bada . . . . . . . . . . . . 17 M . . . . . 2 % . . . . . . . . ( 1 %)
    6 . . . . Windows Mobile . . . . 16 M . . . . 2 % . . . . . . . . ( 2 %)
    7 . . . . Windows Phone . . . . 9 M . . . . . 1 % . . . . . . . . ( 1 %)
    Others . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 55 M . . . . . 5 % . . . . . . . . ( 6 %)
    TOTAL Installed Base . . . 1,013 M smartphones in use at end of Q1 2012

And here's the context:
    Communities Dominate Brands: Smartphone Market Shares after Q1 - Its the Digital Jamboree year of Smartphone Bloodbath
    07-10-12 01:32 PM

A simple look up on the web shows that the total phone market was about 400 million per quarter today. Apple and Samsung shipped more than 100 millions smartphone each last 4 quarters. If we assume that the smartphone users keep their phone for 1.5 ~ 2 years, each of them will have at least 150 millions user on their mobile ecosystem. That is not counting the tablet side where Apple has sold over 70 million iPad to date. Other Android vendors together are having at least the same number of active users today and is growing fast in developing country. I think 10 ~15% total smart phone market share today sound about right.
    07-10-12 01:39 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD