02-06-12 11:09 PM
46 12
tools
    "Samsung is looking forward to introducing and demonstrating exciting new mobile products at Mobile World Congress 2012. The successor to the Galaxy S2 smartphone will be unveiled at a separate Samsung-hosted event in the first half of the year, closer to commercial availability of the product."
    this phone is rumored to have a quad core processor and a bunch of other impressive features. it's rumored to be revealed in Q1 of 2012 and then released somewhere in Q2/Q3. BB10 phones are rumored to be released in late-october/early-november and they are thought to have slightly better specs than the phones out in the market today.

If you are a spec junky then you must be going gaga over this, but I think that if the new BB10 phones can use the supposed "1.5gHz dual cores" and offer no lag/stuttering/ticking-clock then by all means, I am very happy with those specs.

I have a feeling that the SGS3 will pull away some blackberry users that are just "hanging on" and aren't die hard fans.

it has to be a big reveal if they want to do it in a separate venue ... kudos to Samsung

Article Source: Click Me!

Last edited by jimmyfallon; 02-01-12 at 06:48 AM.
    02-01-12 04:57 AM
    Not surprising. When RIM releases something, it's already behind the competition.

Just think, they'll be releasing a dual-core 6 months AFTER the competition has released quad-core.
    02-01-12 05:20 AM
    yeah they always are.

1.2gHz single core processors and cameras with no auto-focus in late 2011 is laughable.
    Last edited by jimmyfallon; 02-01-12 at 06:43 AM.
    vrs626 likes this.
    02-01-12 05:31 AM
    It was just reported that the phones aren't going to be announced until later in the first half of 2012 and won't be available until late June. Not Q1. Specs aren't everything and just because they might be releasing quad core, it doesn't at all mean it is better than the dual core RIM will use.

Oh and by the way, the BBOS as is wouldn't benefit much from having dual core since it isn't optimized for more than one core so 1.2 for their current phones is absolutely fine. If you want specs to make you feel good, go get an Android phone.
    bmw328i likes this.
    02-01-12 05:44 AM
    Seriously, who the needs a quad core processor in a phone....
    And I better dont start talking about male ware.

But anyway. Some people make me think they are just thinking about phone specs. Just get another one if youre not happy....
    02-01-12 06:15 AM
    Good for samsung. I wonder what battery life will be like. Does android take advantage of multiple cores or is just to say we have quad core?
    02-01-12 06:41 AM
    Good for samsung. I wonder what battery life will be like. Does android take advantage of multiple cores or is just to say we have quad core?
    I think it may just be for bragging rights.

The Transformer Prime has a quad core processor in it and the only thing that actually uses all four cores is a game called "Rip Tide".

I don't know if ICS has the potential to use all four cores.

I heard that if your device is going to be running on a quad-core processor then, your battery life will actually last longer, in general, because of something to do with the lower voltages in each core. Something like that, I think.

Does anyone have any info on this?
    Last edited by jimmyfallon; 02-01-12 at 06:53 AM.
    02-01-12 06:47 AM
    At this point stacking computing power is irrelevant unless this power is able to be utilized. Your average smartphone user at this point in time does email, messaging, streams music and video on a basic OS- all of which can be easilly addressed with a single core processor and a decent amount of RAM. Processor speeds are important for executing applications (concurrent or not) but its the RAM that allows for the robust displays and graphics. Slower processor + more RAM >>>> Faster processor + less RAM

Smartphones are like PC's - higher end processors require more power and also require more heat dissipation to operate properly. It will be interesting to see at what point manufacturers arent able to increase computing power anymore due to the thing catching fire in your pocket. Either that or they'll put a fan in your phone.
    02-01-12 06:52 AM
    In my experience with the lack of call quality on the SGS2, perhaps they should concentrate on making the phone work better as a phone rather than shouting "hey, we got a quad core phone".

I got visions of folks having to carry huge battery packs on their belts because of the quad cores hit on the battery life.
    02-01-12 06:59 AM
    In my experience with the lack of call quality on the SGS2, perhaps they should concentrate on making the phone work better as a phone rather than shouting "hey, we got a quad core phone".

I got visions of folks having to carry huge battery packs on their belts because of the quad cores hit on the battery life.
    True dat. Visions of Batman's utility belt come to mind.
    02-01-12 07:00 AM
    They would definitely need backpacks if (most likely) the phone has an LTE chip.

LTE + quad core = bad battery life ... unless they can get the droid razr maxx battery in there or something similar in mah
    02-01-12 07:05 AM

Exactly. How about we make the battery last a full day before we start octo-coring these things?
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    02-01-12 07:14 AM
    It'll all boil down to performance tests, as to whether the Android community will really go gaga over it. I'm not sure how the quad core in the Transformer Prime is, but it's a Tegra 3, and I know first hand that the Tegra 2 (dual core) turned out to be a bit of a disappointment.

I honestly don't think quad cores being released are going to impact RIM that much. If the current chipset they are said to be waiting on are as good as it's being made out, then it will be a beast. The ONLY issue would be if RIM continues to use that same chipset for the next 4-5 years, while everyone else continues to improve..they need to stay current nowadays to be competitive.

The biggest hurdle RIM will have to face is getting app developers on board for their new chip, and get apps out there that can take advantage of it's power. Feature rich apps take processing power, and that's what RIM has lacked imo (even on OS 7) is feature rich content.

I'd also really like to see them get their Theme Engine back up and running however. I think consumers nowadays like to make their phone "their own", and not have it look and feel like everyone else's. This is one of the reasons Android has exploded as much as it has imo. Just look thru people's screenshots and see how truly personalized you can make a phone. Even though it wasn't quite as unlimited as Android, I loved the themes when I had my OS6 Torch. I can see myself buying the new BB10 device, but for me, theming (and ecostystem) will be the deciding factor as to whether I keep it or not.
    02-01-12 07:46 AM
    It'll all boil down to performance tests, as to whether the Android community will really go gaga over it. I'm not sure how the quad core in the Transformer Prime is, but it's a Tegra 3, and I know first hand that the Tegra 2 (dual core) turned out to be a bit of a disappointment.

I honestly don't think quad cores being released are going to impact RIM that much. If the current chipset they are said to be waiting on are as good as it's being made out, then it will be a beast. The ONLY issue would be if RIM continues to use that same chipset for the next 4-5 years, while everyone else continues to improve..they need to stay current nowadays to be competitive.
    I guess my thoughts are the hardware is really secondary to the way OS operates and apps use it. If a BB can run QNX with a 1.0 ghz processor and 2 GB RAM - does it matter if the latest technology is at quad core levels? If you have a nice clean OS that works properly - you can get by with lower hardware spec's (which will result in better battery life by today's standards). However if your OS sucks, is buggy and has problems releasing resources then all the hardware in the world wont matter.
    02-01-12 08:12 AM
    I guess my thoughts are the hardware is really secondary to the way OS operates and apps use it. If a BB can run QNX with a 1.0 ghz processor and 2 GB RAM - does it matter if the latest technology is at quad core levels? If you have a nice clean OS that works properly - you can get by with lower hardware spec's (which will result in better battery life by today's standards). However if your OS sucks, is buggy and has problems releasing resources then all the hardware in the world wont matter.
    I agree that software is greater than hardware. However, some software does require more hardware, else why would RIM state that BB10 and QNX need dual core to run? The more advanced and feature rich software becomes, the more hardware it needs, which also taxes the hardware more, consuming more battery. This is where "more horsepower" comes into play. With more horsepower, your cores are taxed less, and will in turn increase battery life (in theory of course).

I'm not saying that quad cores are needed (at this time), but I don't think they are a bad idea either, as they can only spur better, feature rich software to be written..which benefits the end user. And i'm definately not saying RIM needs quad core to be competitive (at this time), as I believe the chipsets they have planned will be more than adequate for (keyword here) 2012. They had better plan on upgrading though every year, or else they'll be, once again, left in the dust so to speak.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 02-01-12 at 08:32 AM.
    VerryBestr likes this.
    02-01-12 08:30 AM
    Not surprising. When RIM releases something, it's already behind the competition.

Just think, they'll be releasing a dual-core 6 months AFTER the competition has released quad-core.
    yeah they always are.

1.2gHz single core processors and cameras with no auto-focus in late 2011 is laughable.
    I have said this in threads before. They are most likely going to be going with the Qualcomm S4 chip which has the Krait architecture which is based off of the Cortex A15.

The quad core Samsung will be a Cortex A9. The A15 is the latest. It's about 2x faster than the A9. So the speed of a A15 800mhz dual core would be ~equivalent to a 1.5Ghz A9.

Also keep in mind, the more cores, would only benefit multitasking. Unless there's software built specifically for quad cores. Having quad cores won't really matter.

Don't get me wrong, the SG3 is going to have amazing power with the quad core. Especially if Samsung optimizes their version of Android for it, it'll be silky smooth (afterall, I've played with the SII, and that is NICE!).

But if you're assuming RIM's dual core < Samsung's quad core. You couldn't be any more wrong.
    02-01-12 01:48 PM
    Quad cores matter. Maybe not for optimization purposes but certainly for perception to the consumer market. RIM releasing BB10 on today's hardware 8 months from now when phones will have quad core will deal it another blow. At this point RIM needs an absolute powerhouse of a phone that boasts the latest and greatest tech and completely trumps the competition to save itself. OS ecosystem and functionality needs to be in place too.
    Last edited by Doc Z; 02-01-12 at 02:05 PM.
    02-01-12 02:00 PM
    Quad cores matter. Maybe not for optimization purposes but certainly for perception to the consumer market. RIM releasing BB10 on today's hardware 8 months from now when phones will have quad core will deal it another blow. At this point RIM needs an absolute powerhouse of a phone that boasts the latest and greatest tech and completely trumps the competition to save itself. OS ecosystem and functionality needs to be in place too.
    If Samsung does a Quad Core A9 (current processor designs just adding two cores), and RIM uses a Dual Core A15 (28nm design and higher performance), then how is that behind? Because they can't say they have a quad-core? Nobody cares about iPhone's processor, just that the user experience is great and easy. RIM needs to do the same thing and a dual core A15 is better than a quad core A9. Let the nerds have their quad core A9, huge screen battery suckers that they can overclock and run their benchmark test scores to post so they can compensate for whatever feel their inadequacies are.
    mrspeedy101 and grover5 like this.
    02-01-12 03:12 PM
    If Samsung does a Quad Core A9 (current processor designs just adding two cores), and RIM uses a Dual Core A15 (28nm design and higher performance), then how is that behind? Because they can't say they have a quad-core? Nobody cares about iPhone's processor, just that the user experience is great and easy. RIM needs to do the same thing and a dual core A15 is better than a quad core A9. Let the nerds have their quad core A9, huge screen battery suckers that they can overclock and run their benchmark test scores to post so they can compensate for whatever feel their inadequacies are.
    Average consumers generalize. They're not gonna know the difference between A9 vs A5. Just quad core vs dual core. And iPhone is in a class of its own, that's the one phone where internal specs don't really matter.
    02-01-12 03:45 PM
    Very tempting, definitely something to keep an eye out for. The SG3 launch will just mean that BB will have to make the QNX phone just that much better. The smartphone industry continues to amaze, and the major players will keep up or get run over.
    02-01-12 03:58 PM
    It doesn't matter if RIM's dual-core is indeed better than Samsung's quad-core because the general public will think that quad-core means faster + smoother; not knowing that the OS is a major factor.

A lot of people are saying that the battery life would be horrid but there is one thing that I don't understand. The Transformer Prime has apps that are able to use all four cores and still have an outstanding battery life of 10 hours and 17 minutes (without the dock; Engadget).

NVIDIA also states that quad-core will last longer than dual-core powered devices:
    when an application is properly multi-threaded and the workload is spread across two CPUs, it keeps the voltage and frequency of the CPUs lower on both cores. However, the same workload on one CPU would max out the voltage and frequency on the CPU and when the CPU gets maxed out, it runs hotter and thats when it draws a lot more power. Naturally, if you have a heavy workload that maxes out both cores of a dual core CPU or all four cores on a quad core then that will use more power and drain the battery more than a chip with fewer cores. But, for activities like average Web browsing, email, and even basic video playback, these things can be spread across cores so that theyre less taxing on the system and draw less power.

Aside from my meeting with NVIDIA, at CTIA I spoke separately with LG, which uses chips from TI, Qualcomm, and NVIDIA in its various smartphones. LG pointed out that its devices running the Tegra 2 are seeing the best battery life of the bunch.
    Article link for the quote above: Click Me!

I am also assuming that manufacturers should be able to do this as well with smartphones.

Since QNX boasts its multitasking abilities then I am certain a quad-core processor would most definitely help in that field.
    02-01-12 04:48 PM
    It would put the iphone behind to and that doesn't matter right now its still number one
    02-01-12 05:01 PM
    The great "spec race" and consumer misinformation is pretty funny, but the only reason i would want a quad core & fully loaded phone is to future proof myself while suffering a long 3 year contract. That being said, I'm assuming BB10 phones will resemble my playbook in functionality and that's all good with me.
    02-02-12 04:43 PM
    At this point stacking computing power is irrelevant unless this power is able to be utilized. Your average smartphone user at this point in time does email, messaging, streams music and video on a basic OS- all of which can be easilly addressed with a single core processor and a decent amount of RAM. Processor speeds are important for executing applications (concurrent or not) but its the RAM that allows for the robust displays and graphics. Slower processor + more RAM >>>> Faster processor + less RAM

Smartphones are like PC's - higher end processors require more power and also require more heat dissipation to operate properly. It will be interesting to see at what point manufacturers arent able to increase computing power anymore due to the thing catching fire in your pocket. Either that or they'll put a fan in your phone.
    This type of thinking is exactly the reason RIM is in the fix it finds itself. "Nobody needs this, why do they need that, that won't work, this won't work...... meanwhile the rest of the industry is moving on with better and more powerful devices.
    02-02-12 06:43 PM
    I have said this in threads before. They are most likely going to be going with the Qualcomm S4 chip which has the Krait architecture which is based off of the Cortex A15.

The quad core Samsung will be a Cortex A9. The A15 is the latest. It's about 2x faster than the A9. So the speed of a A15 800mhz dual core would be ~equivalent to a 1.5Ghz A9.

Also keep in mind, the more cores, would only benefit multitasking. Unless there's software built specifically for quad cores. Having quad cores won't really matter.

Don't get me wrong, the SG3 is going to have amazing power with the quad core. Especially if Samsung optimizes their version of Android for it, it'll be silky smooth (afterall, I've played with the SII, and that is NICE!).

But if you're assuming RIM's dual core < Samsung's quad core. You couldn't be any more wrong.
    Wow, that is amazing! When RIM said they were going for cutting-edge technology, they weren't lying. If an A15 at 800 MHz is equivalent to an A9 at 1.5 GHz, then the A15 at 1.5 GHz with BlackBerry 10 will be blazing fast. No mistake about it!

This is true too. In fact, I even brought up this point in an eariler thread a few weeks ago. I think RIM needs to make that a non-issue, which, it really is. They need to boast about a lot of the other features and benefits of the London. People are buying iPhones and iPads even though those two are on the low-end, specs wise in their respective markets. Why? Because the UI is fluid and Apple never advertises "power." And that's all people need to see.

Average consumers generalize. They're not gonna know the difference between A9 vs A5. Just quad core vs dual core. And iPhone is in a class of its own, that's the one phone where internal specs don't really matter.
    Absolutely agree. Apple needs to be commended for their OS optimization. They know how to make the most without the fastest, most powerful processors. If RIM can do the same (although the processors they're testing are extemely powerful), they can make a strong comeback soon enough.
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    02-02-12 06:58 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD