10-16-15 09:25 AM
165 ... 4567
tools
    Chen will also need a Plan B real quick if he's to finish the software transition before the cash runs out.
    Plan B is probably already in play. He's been building up cash, which is probably why there's a lack of advertising/marketing. Shedding off hardware will only save money and extend the transition time... however, it will make revenues look bad, so the continued effort in hardware.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-10-15 04:44 PM
    10-10-15 05:37 PM
    Excellent - I have saved the post - want to predict when the next bb10 device is coming out? The nearest quarter will be fine - you will be able to laugh at me when you get it right

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Where in my post did I even mention "BB10" and unlike some people around here I don't make predictions based on something I know nothing about. I don't profess to be an expert nor do I profess to having any inside connections to base any wild predictions on.
    Last edited by buwee; 10-10-15 at 05:50 PM.
    10-10-15 05:40 PM
    I suspect that Chen never liked the hardware side of the business and his plan has been all along to do whatever he can to kill any last chance for the hardware side of the business.
    Most likely being focus to an obsession in software he doesn't know how. Haven't they fired all the the hardware and developers relations anyway

What I'm wondering is if or when the hw division is closed what we will purchase. BBM? That's it? If I'm on iOS and bearing in mind that the standard encryption of BBM isn't very attractive, why not use Signal, reTXT, Wickr, Bleep or any of the other alternatives.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kraidx; 10-10-15 at 06:14 PM.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-10-15 06:02 PM
    Yes. He is doing it in a controlled way, but I think that this was his plan from the beginning. He had no intentions of ever promoting BlackBerry hardware and only wanted to do software. He actually stopped work on BB10 OS about a year ago. He didn't want to promote the phones in case they actually sold. He is killing the hardware division by stealth because he doesn't understand the consumer/hardware market so he wants to kill it.
    I think the situation was like this: The Board needed someone to save the company, er... their investment. They gave Heins a shot with hardware. It didn't work... fast enough. Maybe some of the Board are friends with Chen. They ask him to come in, take a look. He looks at the books and only sees software making money, and with healthy profit margins (but poor revenue). Given his background, he probably told the Board that software/services was the answer. They bring him on as interm-CEO and discover that no one else wanted the job so made him the CEO. So, in essence, it could have been just looking at the books that made him go in this direction and not necessarily inexperience with hardware.

Technically, he doesn't really need to know about hardware. He can rely upon his engineers for that... and in some sense he has. The Classic could have been it; no Passport. The Passport was probably started under Heins and Chen didn't kill it. As a new CEO, that's usually one of the things that would be killed: weird form factor phone started by the previous CEO. The PRIV too, seems to be driven by engineers. It's a well spec'ed device, something that he probably wouldn't have envisioned up himself, but he's willing to let his engineers play. While he still needs the revenue numbers, his engineers can keep creating...
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-10-15 07:14 PM
    What I'm wondering is if or when the hw division is closed what we will purchase. BBM? That's it? If I'm on iOS and bearing in mind that the standard encryption of BBM isn't very attractive, why not use Signal, reTXT, Wickr, Bleep or any of the other alternatives.
    Maybe you might want to read up on BlackBerry and what other products/services they sell besides BBM.
    10-10-15 07:20 PM

The likelihood of each scenario probably hinges on the retail price of the Priv. Sensible pricing to build market share probably means more Privs will be sold and hardware might have another year. If the Priv costs the same as Samsung's Edge or Apple's iPhone 6... well, I hope Chen has Plan B ready.

Interesting times.
    I actually will buy the Priv or whatever horrible name it got, if it goes for U$500, in the contrary, I will go for the Samsung S6 or the Sony Z5.
    10-10-15 07:53 PM
    Yup, this is what I think too. The Hardware side is toast either way, only the timing will be different.

If the Priv sells enough, it'll give Chen the time (aka revenue) to finish the move over to software, at that point hardware is done, and Chen will close it down

If the Priv doesn't sell, hardware is done, and Chen will close it down... Chen will also need a Plan B real quick if he's to finish the software transition before the cash runs out.

The likelihood of each scenario probably hinges on the retail price of the Priv. Sensible pricing to build market share probably means more Privs will be sold and hardware might have another year. If the Priv costs the same as Samsung's Edge or Apple's iPhone 6... well, I hope Chen has Plan B ready.

Interesting times.
    I agree. I can not see this phone priced north of $600.00 dollars. Even Samsung, with all of it's marketing had to drop the price of the S6 due to slow sales. Samsung marketing budget is more than what BlackBerry is worth as a whole. You think BB will market this phone?? They still haven't release the price or the day it launches.
    10-10-15 07:56 PM
    Maybe you might want to read up on BlackBerry and what other products/services they sell besides BBM.
    At the moment nothing that stands out from a consumer point of view.

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker likes this.
    10-10-15 08:18 PM
    Clear & resilient this comment and deeply grateful. My professional career since 1999 has been ALL BlackBerry, forever BlackBerry. I've a sadness inside my heart of the mediocrity that flourishes throughout the entire milieu of a company I've cherished from day one. We're still missing the mark, and the light beginning to fade, unless there's a massive, unrecoverable pouring out of an assertive and aggressive BlackBerry strategy that hitherto no one has seen relentless where the light switch NEVER turns off. I walk around with my red Passport and Q5 , my daily drivers for now along with still to this day Playbook, and 100% of everyone I meet saying, "I used to own a BlackBerry..." More sadness, more mediocrity, where everyone is overwhelmed with information, yet starving for wisdom. Time to hit the streets of America, the inner cities to the rural plains, and get a BlackBerry into every family's hand. Get angry about BlackBerry and save it, save it, save it. For those who have ears to hear, let them HEAR...
    10-11-15 01:01 AM
    At the moment nothing that stands out from a consumer point of view.
    They've already made it clear that they're mainly interested in the Enterprise market.
    10-11-15 03:17 AM
    I continue to like John Chen, unpopular though that view might be hereabouts.

How many CEOs do you think would answer the "Why are you the right guy to lead ... BlackBerry?" question with "I guess I'm the only one they could find!".

I really hope Chen will save BlackBerry (the company), but I am bewildered why anyone should continue to believe that he'll "save" BB10 or hardware generally. His message is always the same, and revolves around BB's future being to support Enterprise though provision of software and services.

There's an interesting segment starting around the 13-minute mark where Chen is asked about the enterprise/consumer focus... He's specifically asked if he's going to build a device meant for average consumers, or go back to his enterprise roots. Chen unequivocally says that he's going back to his enterprise roots and, if that weren't already clear enough, goes on to (not) criticise the actions of former management (that would be Thor! ) for their previous consumer focus. Anyone who has ever had a conversation with someone starting with the phrase "I'm not going to criticise ...", will understand that promise not to criticise being the prelude to an entirely critical conversation. LOL

He later goes on to further distance himself from consumers with his QNX-related answer: "... my customer is Audi, not the driver of the Audi...".

Anyone who listens to what Chen says (again, and again, and again), and can continue to think consumer phones figure in BlackBerry's future is seriously delusional. But, I guess I can't prevent them wanting to imagine a better, different reality full of rainbows and unicorns if they want to do that. It won't change anything that Chen has said, or the path he's repeatedly and consistently stated he's following, but... whatever.

#NoneSoBlind
    cbvinh likes this.
    10-11-15 03:46 AM
    I continue to like John Chen, unpopular though that view might be hereabouts.

How many CEOs do you think would answer the "Why are you the right guy to lead ... BlackBerry?" question with "I guess I'm the only one they could find!".
    There is a really odd bit early on where he talks about the classic as if it's a new phone about to come out? Rehash of it (colour?) about to come out to use up parts?
    Batibreaker likes this.
    10-11-15 04:55 AM
    There is a really odd bit early on where he talks about the classic as if it's a new phone about to come out? Rehash of it (colour?) about to come out to use up parts?
    I think that was more Chen defending his suitability for leading a mobile company rather than hinting that a new colour of Classic is inbound.

I think the question caught him a bit on the back foot, and he started to justify himself and big up his "mobile" street-cred as being involved with mobile through Sybase, and in being the guy responsible for bringing the Classic to market... before he came up with the final: "I guess they couldn't find anyone better" line that was a much better response.

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 1520
    10-11-15 05:07 AM
    I started watching it and when he talked about the Classic being new, I assumed that it was an old interview and stopped watching.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 08:27 AM
    To Roger Chung's Question: Have you compared the build quality of a Samsung to a Blackberry? If Blackberry is on par with Samsung in every other way I'd much rather have a blackberry.

Of course the mdeia will totally roll over this argument. They will just assume Samsung is better like they assume Apple products are the best thing since the dawn of time.

So Chen tells the truth but he can't and he should know that. One hope is that the phone sells well and the handset division is spun off. I agree Chen doesn't want it. Don't forget he knows business and no one makes money from hardware except Apple and Perhaps Microsot's Surface division.
    10-11-15 08:28 AM
    I started watching it and when he talked about the Classic being new, I assumed that it was an old interview and stopped watching.

Posted via CB10
    I was similarly confused but it is the interview from last week.
    10-11-15 08:54 AM
    Srry but the FBI has been using the Blackphone for a while now..get the facts right
    Trialing, AFAIK. Moreover, we don't know what is the level of accreditation it will ultimately get.
    Will it be similar to BB10 DOD "Full Operational Capability" ?
    But please let me know of recent news I'm not aware of ...

US military trialling Blackphone devices, despite FBI's renewed anti-encryption rhetoric | ZDNet
    10-11-15 09:02 AM
    Sad statements.
    10-11-15 09:05 AM
    Tempest in a Teacup | Inside BlackBerry

10.09.15 / John Chen 75 Comments

My appearance at the Code/Mobile conference created a minor furor yesterday. To my dismay, the media focused on a few of my comments while ignoring many others. That whipped up some commentators into a frenzy, including, unfortunately, a few of our loyal fans. Devices

Here’s the context I think that may have been missed yesterday. First, I have 100% confidence in our new PRIV smartphone. Not only will it bring BlackBerry’s strong privacy DNA to the Android platform, but PRIV will deliver top-of-the-line features for your maximum productivity, including an oversized screen and, underneath it, a smooth sliding mechanism that unveils the iconic BlackBerry keyboard. And all the business and recreational apps that you could ever want courtesy of our good partner, Google.

Besides all of the hard work that our engineers in Waterloo and Ottawa have done to make PRIV a first-class hero smartphone, I am convinced that there is an under-served segment that PRIV can ably fill. Enterprises are increasingly aware of the security and privacy risks that their mobile devices pose. So are consumers. Moreover, the Android smartphone market is massive – 1.2 billion users globally today, according to IDC, growing to 1.53 billion over the next 4 years. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe that BlackBerry will find a strong audience here.
    Finally, anyone who has been watching closely what I’ve been trying to do at BlackBerry has surely heard me say that we would not stay in the device business if we were not profitable. This is nothing new, and I’ve repeated this many times recently. That said, we are doing everything possible to make our devices profitable. We are committed to both the success of PRIV as well as supporting governments and other customers that demand the security and performance of our BlackBerry 10 devices.
    Software

I’ve also consistently said that BlackBerry’s future is in taking our security expertise into the software arena. It’s what our enterprise customers want, and it also helps continue our transformation into a multi-platform provider that can secure the mobile enterprise – regardless of type of device. We’ve taken many steps in recent months to augment our software portfolio.
    I’m energized by the acquisitions of WatchDox and AtHoc, and our pending acquisition of Good Technology – all leaders in their respective spaces (secure document sharing, emergency alerts, and mobile device management).
    Security and Privacy

Despite my optimism, I’m a realist at heart. It’s the engineer in me. It’s also why I don’t have the patience to sugarcoat. So if you heard me say yesterday that security-wise, the latest Blackphone is now in the same conversation as our devices, you know it’s not idle flattery.
    At the same time, I mentioned several features coming in PRIV (left) that will help it rise to the very top security-wise, even among secure Android phones. There’s the unique key ‎in the chipset of every PRIV smartphone to authenticate the Android OS, so users can be confident their PRIV is not running malicious firmware that could violate their privacy or security. There’s our ability to patch vulnerabilities much faster than other Android smartphone makers, and other features I didn’t mention. It’s why I firmly believe PRIV will be MORE resilient than everything else.

I’m enthusiastic about the coming launch of PRIV. I personally love this phone, and, judging by the reaction out there, I think many of you will, too.
    10-11-15 09:08 AM
    Too late!

As generations of newspaper hacks will testify: People read the headlines, and never read the corrections!

What Chen said, and the (bad for BB and prospects for the Priv, good for BlackPhone) headlines based on his words are already out there... everywhere!

An "Ooops!, what I meant to say, was this" piece appearing on BB's in-house PR site won't change anyone's mind.

What's that line about only having one chance to make a first impression?
    10-11-15 09:39 AM
    The BlackPhone became known as the locked-down phone that*supposedly*got hacked in just 5 minutes.

And Chen thinks that BlackPhone security is superior to Knox? What a weirdo.

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker likes this.
    10-11-15 09:41 AM
    I really hope Chen will save BlackBerry (the company), but I am bewildered why anyone should continue to believe that he'll "save" BB10 or hardware generally. His message is always the same, and revolves around BB's future being to support Enterprise though provision of

He later goes on to further distance himself from consumers with his QNX-related answer: "... my customer is Audi, not the driver of the Audi...".

#NoneSoBlind
    The focus has been about enterprise since the early days. Hence his push for SW and the drop of the HW, despite of all the public statement saying that HW is important for an end to end solution. If the CEO cuts and cuts don't see how it's possible to develop and market new products.
    He strikes me as more of a politician and accountant than an engineer.

"He later goes on to further distance himself from consumers with his QNX-related answer: "... my customer is Audi, not the driver of the Audi...".

The problem for us BlackBerry users is that we are the Audi drivers .

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 10:19 AM
    I was similarly confused but it is the interview from last week.
    Umm.. okay... thanks, I guess I will watch it when I get a chance.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 11:07 AM
    Too late!

As generations of newspaper hacks will testify: People read the headlines, and never read the corrections!

What Chen said, and the (bad for BB and prospects for the Priv, good for BlackPhone) headlines based on his words are already out there... everywhere!

An "Ooops!, what I meant to say, was this" piece appearing on BB's in-house PR site won't change anyone's mind.

What's that line about only having one chance to make a first impression?
    Seems the teacup is here, I sincerely doubt anyone out of the mobile centric people have even the slightest idea of what Priv and BlackPhone are.
    Time to chill out (hey : me first).

Edit : Moreover : time to watch the full interview on video and wonder : who the **** twisted that again in such proportions ?
    http://crackberry.com/watch-full-rep...iew-codemobile
    10-11-15 04:35 PM
165 ... 4567