10-16-15 10:25 AM
165 12345 ...
tools
    Guys, guys you're just not getting it are you?
    Chen is a genius.
    This whole thing; the development, marketing and release of The Toilet Phone; is an ingenious PR stunt.
    Here's the real road map:
    Release Privy.
    Privy gets hacked on day 2.
    Media storm.
    Chen on every major news outlet saying'what do you expect? It's an Android. If you want real security use BB10.'
    Mass Migration to BB10.

Posted via CB10
    'Profit'?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 06:05 AM
    You guys are so pathetically pessimistic.

Chen was saying Android is not as secure as bb10 but the ultra secure market is tiny. Within the relative scale of Android only the Samsung WITH Knox is as secure as the slider and the Blackphone can say they are just as good or better. Chen has to uptalk Samsung with Knox cuz BlackBerry is a business partner with Samsung to secure Knox. If people buy a knox, BlackBerry makes $.

The Blackphone probably isn't a big seller but regardless Chen has to champion other secure phones cuz he is in that business.

Meanwhile, the balance of the Android market (Sony, LG, motorola, oneplusone, huwaei, HTC, etc.) sucks at security, so Chen is saying look at BlackBerry.

So there.

I agree the Priv name is terrible. So all is not rosy.

Posted via CB10
    cbvinh and Prem WatsApp like this.
    10-09-15 07:52 AM
    The end (of Blackberry as a hardware manufacturer) is near.
    10-09-15 08:06 AM
    Thorn was overly excited with BB10 because of the time-shift camera and Aicia Keys... Chen at leased has a realistic approach to save the BlackBerry, but he speaks to the public as if he's sitting in the boardroom.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 08:21 AM
    It is surprising to hear that from JC. I wish I can read his mind. He must have something up his sleeve. That was not regular JC talking.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-09-15 08:25 AM
    It sure will be interesting to see how this all plays out. The guy isn't an *****, so what he is saying doesn't matter as much as we would like to believe. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of 'deal' with this phone that makes it more interesting to whatever target audience it is geared towards.

I stand by the consumer hardware is Coming Soon (tm) to be dead. A signature move by BlackBerry.
    10-09-15 08:48 AM
    Loool just watched the afternoon news, it translated as follows:

Beirut, LBC news:

"John Chen BlackBerry CEO announced that 2016 will be the last year BlackBerry makes devices, he also confirmed that the PRIV is the last device to be released. "

That's what happens when this dude speaks!!! Its a freaking disaster!

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 08:55 AM
    He said that only Samsung (one of BlackBerry's partners) and blackphone (an incredibly expensive phone with no app support, limited OS features and completely subscription based security features) can possibly CLAIM to be as good or better, and neither can even pretend to be as secure as bb10.

Posted via CB10
    cbvinh likes this.
    10-09-15 08:56 AM
    You guys are so pathetically pessimistic.

Chen was saying Android is not as secure as bb10 but the ultra secure market is tiny. Within the relative scale of Android only the Samsung WITH Knox is as secure as the slider and the Blackphone can say they are just as good or better. Chen has to uptalk Samsung with Knox cuz BlackBerry is a business partner with Samsung to secure Knox. If people buy a knox, BlackBerry makes $.

The Blackphone probably isn't a big seller but regardless Chen has to champion other secure phones cuz he is in that business.

Meanwhile, the balance of the Android market (Sony, LG, motorola, oneplusone, huwaei, HTC, etc.) sucks at security, so Chen is saying look at BlackBerry.

So there.

I agree the Priv name is terrible. So all is not rosy.

Posted via CB10
    You don't get it. Assuming that your OPTIMISTIC justification of this is correct, and this isn't just Chen stupidly running his mouth, there is still a problem.
    That is: If you have to Explain your message, then your message has failed. Period, full stop. ANOTHER indication that BlackBerry has absolutely no control over what its message is, or how to present it in any sort of meaningful, effective way.

People always need to realize that BlackBerry has dug itself such a deep PR/Marketing/Brand hole that they need to be EXTRA careful about not making these sorts of mistakes. It doesn't matter if it is fair or not. BlackBerry is a joke to most people, and that's the environment that they are in, and must deal with.

I've been said this 3 years ago, and it is just as true today as it was then. BlackBerry needs to address its Brand Position, and the FIRST thing is to stop making it worse by letting a CEO who sticks his foot in his mouth keep doing it.

KAM
    10-09-15 09:13 AM
    It is surprising to hear that from JC. I wish I can read his mind. He must have something up his sleeve. That was not regular JC talking.

Perhaps it is Chen being worried and trying to lower expectations--in terms of SECURITY. If that is the stage they are at...well, that's a very bad sign.
    10-09-15 09:15 AM
    The car-crash continues:

Oh boy, they're going to have a field day with this

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 09:21 AM

What he has up his sleeve is his desire to stop hardware/consumer sales and be a pure software company which all he knows. So he is tanking the OS and hardware on purpose to have an excuse to drop hardware/consumers.
    10-09-15 09:28 AM
    His approach is ultra conservative. He isn't going ALL IN on anything until he sees the money. He understands Vegas but he doesn't play there.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 09:39 AM
    His approach is ultra conservative. He isn't going ALL IN on anything until he sees the money. He understands Vegas but he doesn't play there.

Posted via CB10
    And he's honest.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 09:53 AM
    The car-crash continues:

What's interesting is that by tweeting that, Silent Circle essentially endorses the statement that their offering is on equal footing as the Priv (and vice-versa).

So they've both essentially watered themselves down. Lol

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    10-09-15 10:25 AM
    I have thought this from day one. It's funny how many people loved him initially, I honestly didn:t think that this many people would change their minds about him and I wish I hadn't been right. I know lots of people will want to crucify me for saying this but I think thorsten was the best possible choice for CEO and that he did almost everything right. They didn't give him enough time. He kept asking for patience but they wouldn't give it to him.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    You realize that he was such a ****ty CEO that he put himself out from the job. BlackBerry was broke and burning through cash. He ran the company into the ground.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 10:34 AM
    The average person doesn't follow as closely as people here. They read short reviews that are based on and justified by media sound bytes. My fear is that once the Priv comes out, some of the choice sound bytes from this interview will be quoted to back up the reviews' slam on this phone. Whatever his intention, I don't think this is the last we'll hear of some of the key quotes!

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    10-09-15 10:50 AM
    This was definitely not a good message he delivered. In my estimation hardware is now dead based on his latest blurb. I will keep my Z10 going as long as I can but I am looking at Microsoft now even though the Lumia does not do it for me. I might as well ride another lame horse with deeper pockets.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    10-09-15 11:16 AM
    I don't really see what is the big deal. As I already mentioned in another thread of the similar feeling, had he gone on record saying "Priv is the most secure Android out there, better than BlackPhone and near or on par with BlackBerry 10" he would have painted a bullseye on the company's back. The moment the Android device gets hacked, and it will, the entire house comes crumbling down. The damage done by losing trust is substantially worse than any losses you may incur by leaving the hardware business. Losing trust will kill the entire company, losing hardware just means you have to scale smaller and become more focused on software, which is the end-game anyway.

With that said, I'm looking forward to the Priv. If nothing else, it will be a solid Android device to play with for a while, and if BlackBerry is no more, a neat collectors' item.

What's interesting is that by tweeting that, Silent Circle essentially endorses the statement that their offering is on equal footing as the Priv (and vice-versa).

So they've both essentially watered themselves down. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Funny that you brought this up. I was thinking about this, this morning while having breakfast. I said to myself, "watch BlackPhone ride the loose endorsement by BlackBerry and then water down its own offering". Low and behold, that's exactly what they did.

And he's honest.

Posted via CB10
    As far as a company that claims security as its primary product, this is key. You have to be transparent, honest, and trustworthy. One misstep, just one, can break your back. Security is a dangerous and very hard game to be in. Unlike everyone else, to stay secure you have to both respond to threats quickly and be proactive about staying ahead of the curve. The trust your customers have in you is everything. Chen recognizes this, hence he never once pretends that Android can deliver what BlackBerry can deliver through BlackBerry 10. Would it have been ideal to bring Android closer to BlackBerry 10 in terms of security and avoid this conversation all-together? Sure it would, however the handset division is out of time...read that again, they are out of time. Android is the last attempt at making BlackBerry hardware relevant. If it fails, that's it. Ready or not, it has to come out now.
    Last edited by dejanh; 10-09-15 at 11:50 AM.
    cbvinh and buwee like this.
    10-09-15 11:28 AM
    LOL, BB can certainly pick 'em can't they?

Thor used to speak random techno-babble which was rapidly "clarified" by his PR minders after a universal "say whut???!" from listeners. While Chen, who really doesn't understand his company's products - "it runs Google" - is honest to (beyond?) the point of fault.

PR 101 - Never mention a competitor's product; and never make comparisons between your and their offerings! Beyond dumb!

Chen certainly makes for a refreshing change from Thor... but equally damaging to BlackBerry.
    Jeep:

In the BB afterlife, which forum can we meet up in? You have any thoughts about your next device?

What kind of "wake up" news is this - sheesh!!!! Who started this miserable thread? KILL THE MESSENGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-09-15 12:00 PM
    He's never struck me as a good communicator but you guys were all praising him as the Saviour this time last year.

I think he was taken on because of his 'contacts', but at the end of the day he's just another suit and all CEOs are basically the same.
    10-09-15 12:05 PM
    As far as a company that claims security as its primary product, this is key. You have to be transparent, honest, and trustworthy.

Problem is that nobody cares and you know it. You have to play the game and you have to be on top of human nature and know how to exploit human psychology. This is the world of BUSINESS - facts, honesty and being 'goodie two shoes' don't get results.
    10-09-15 12:08 PM
    10-09-15 12:27 PM
    You folks have it all wrong - Chen is just another incompetent. The real culprits here are the morons on the BBRY Board of Directors who
    keep hiring these clowns,
    The best thing for Chen now would be to run for Speaker of the US Congressional House - he would have a leg up - he's already proficient
    in double talk and obfuscation.
    Doggerz and Batibreaker like this.
    10-09-15 01:15 PM
    Despite these comments being brutal, everyone needs to calm down for a second.

Put aside your doomsday prophecies as they never come true, try and think about what an intelligent CEO would do.

This phone only needs to meet moderate success in order to provide the type of return they are looking for, with the market access a move to android offers, this should easily trump the latest BlackBerry releases.

By displaying this attitude that, it's a consumer phone using Google, it won't ever be as secure as BB10 but we tried our best, it reduces some of the reputation liability if it gets hacked. That also provides an excellent opportunity to further differentiate BB10s strengths, making enterprise realize that this isn't a joke, Android is not as secure as BB10 and never will be, you need to take this seriously.

His wording was complete crap, but this could be a clever game of chess he is playing:

Cater to the masses, give them what they asked for, it's a fully competent android phone with some added value. Make money off that, while waiting for it to get hacked just like any other. Pounce at the opportunity to demonstrate that security does matter and android cannot be fully secured. By the time this happens, a new BB10 phone has been developed for the security conscious enterprise which has reached update time.

Maybe he is just terrible with public speaking, but maybe he is just playing the public

BB for Life
    ssbtech likes this.
    10-09-15 01:20 PM
165 12345 ...