10-16-15 09:25 AM
165 1234 ...
tools
    I legitimately can not believe he said this.

I know a lot of people don't like how Chen speaks to the media, but I usually don't mind it. I think he comes off as honest, humble, and confident in the company. BlackBerry doesn't have the luxury of yelling "buy our stuff - we're awesome!" - the market has clearly decided otherwise. I also don't think he is trying to kill the hardware business, if he doesn't have to. He's been pretty consistent in saying that he wants it to succeed, but they're running a business that needs to be successful. I think that Android was really his only play.

Saying that there are other, more secure Android options on the market is probably the dumbest thing he could have done, though. The absolute ONLY chance that this phone has to succeed is because of "BlackBerry" security. Be a politician, man! Nobody votes for the person who says "I'm running, but I probably won't do as good of a job as the other guy". I'm in awe. Whatever marketing they decide to do for this phone will be starting, already trying to play catchup. Every time they tell us how secure it is, John Chen's quote will be right there ... "The only other commercial phone that can say they have the same or better than us is maybe the BlackPhone". If I were BlackPhone, I would take this and run with it!

Ridiculous.
    Last edited by hoopitz; 10-08-15 at 03:38 PM.
    alludba likes this.
    10-08-15 03:19 PM
    I legitimately can not believe he said this.

I know a lot of people don't like how Chen speaks to the media, but I usually don't mind it. I think he comes off as honest, humble, and confident in the company. BlackBerry doesn't have the luxury of yelling "buy our stuff - we're awesome!" - the market has clearly decided otherwise. I also don't think he is trying to kill the hardware business, if he doesn't have to. He's been pretty consistent in saying that he wants it to succeed, but they're running a business that needs to be successful. I think that Android was really his only play.

Saying that there are other, more secure Android options on the market is probably the dumbest thing he could have done, though. The absolute ONLY chance that this phone has to succeed is because of "BlackBerry" security. Be a politician, man! Nobody votes for the person who says "I'm running, but I probably won't do as good of a job as the other guy". I'm in awe. Whatever marketing they decide to do for this phone will already be starting, trying to play catchup. Every time they tell us how secure it is, John Chen's quote will be right there ... "The only other commercial phone that can say they have the same or better than us is maybe the BlackPhone". If I were BlackPhone, I would take this and run with it!

Ridiculous.
    I agree! I get that sometimes he wants to be honest but he didn't have to say what he said at today's event. BlackPhone will definitely use his quote against BlackBerry in the near future...
    10-08-15 03:33 PM
    The priv is a consumer device with security and privacy features.
    Consumers won't buy a blackphone or android knox.
    He says BlackBerry 10 is the best somewhere in there.
    Could be worse..
    10-08-15 04:16 PM
    Bloody face palm. This Chen guy really wants to kill BlackBerry all together. I think he was sent by Chinese spies to remove this company. Please get rid of this person and have someone that embraces BlackBerry for what it is to run the company.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2789
    Asvertus and Batibreaker like this.
    10-08-15 05:05 PM
    Here's what I keep thinking. The Blackphone is supposed to be more secure than the Priv according to Chen. The Blackphone was hacked at Def Con last year. So how secure will the Priv be? And what dies that say about a company who is all about security?

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker likes this.
    10-08-15 05:14 PM
    god it gets worse:

Chen: We're probably the same level as Samsung's Knox. The only other commercial phone that can say they have the same or better than us is maybe the BlackPhone.

My god.

So to summarize - outside of hardcore keyboard fans, the slim competitive advantage this phone might have is security and before launch you have the CEO saying:

* it might be as good as a samsung
    * Here's hoping its secure but who can say
    * Man that Blackphone looks like a good option if you want to be REALLY secure.
    Goodness, that's a bit worse than I was expecting even from him. What on earth is BBRY PR doing to earn their keep?
    10-08-15 05:23 PM
    Don't compare blackphone and Priv.
    Don't forget you must add a yearly $100 subscription, even if free for the first year. Which individual (even SMSE) would do that ?
    For regulated industries, it's a no go either.

So, I believe JC talked about enterprises and thereafter explained that they will make the price more affordable by 'any means' (my words).

Blackphone is not the opponent we should worry about. Could even be the next partner (if JC drops HW) if you ask my foolish mind. This could explain that. Oh well... we need some ABC...
    10-08-15 05:49 PM
    It's pretty clear cut as day what he mentioned about KNOX and BlackPhone. For what BlackBerry is, it's whole company agenda is about "security". Now for JC to even mention that BlackPhone is more secure than Priv, then this is whole "security" from BlackBerry contradicts their statement on the name of security for BlackBerry devices.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2789
    10-08-15 06:00 PM
    god it gets worse:

Chen: We're probably the same level as Samsung's Knox. The only other commercial phone that can say they have the same or better than us is maybe the BlackPhone.

My god.

So to summarize - outside of hardcore keyboard fans, the slim competitive advantage this phone might have is security and before launch you have the CEO saying:

* it might be as good as a samsung
    * Here's hoping its secure but who can say
    * Man that Blackphone looks like a good option if you want to be REALLY secure.
    I cringed. I also cringed while Chen was showing off the Priv for the first time. He tried swiping up on the display to leave an app as he would on BB10... It further shows that he really doesn't know how the new Priv or the Android operating system works.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    Batibreaker likes this.
    10-08-15 06:10 PM
    Here's what I keep thinking. The Blackphone is supposed to be more secure than the Priv according to Chen. The Blackphone was hacked at Def Con last year. So how secure will the Priv be? And what dies that say about a company who is all about security?

Posted via CB10
    I think it's pertinent to note that BBRY is "about security" in as much as it leads to income.

BBRY is about making profit... as it should be. If providing a secure OS hero's with that, good stuff.
    10-08-15 06:39 PM
    He really is bad at public speaking.... my God some of those comments were rough

Posted via CB10
    Heinz Katchup likes this.
    10-08-15 07:40 PM
    Security is the one thing BlackBerry prides themselves on, and Chen's stated the Priv isn't so secure as other devices on the market.

At least it runs Google...

Q10 - 10.3.2.2639/SR .2474  < α∂∂ιт > 
    10-08-15 08:47 PM
    The priv is a consumer device with security and privacy features.
    Consumers won't buy a blackphone or android knox.
    He says BlackBerry 10 is the best somewhere in there.
    Could be worse..
    Agreed.

I think he was making the point that Android can never be that secure.... if you want really good security (in a consumer phone) then you have to get BB10.

On the flipside, the USP of the Priv is that it is the only high end PKB Android (that I am aware of - all the other PKB Androids that I've seen this year have been decidedly cheap and nasty).
    10-08-15 09:53 PM
    Agreed.

I think he was making the point that Android can never be that secure.... if you want really good security (in a consumer phone) then you have to get BB10.

On the flipside, the USP of the Priv is that it is the only high end PKB Android (that I am aware of - all the other PKB Androids that I've seen this year have been decidedly cheap and nasty).

Yeah, but he didn't say that. Instead he said, go get a BlackPhone... and if you're OK with a little less security, but don't like waiting, go get a Samsung device with Knox.

Sounds like he recently got a reality check from his Priv engineers, and it was a blow to his confidence about the device. Now he's probably terrified that the device's lack of robustness will destroy the reputation of the other business units.

Plus, I'm sure he now hates it for making him look like an ***** on the BNN segment.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    10-08-15 10:13 PM
    After reading JC's comments from the interview. Which I hope have been taken way out of context. But if not. Rename the Priv the Cringe.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    10-08-15 10:25 PM
    I agree that Chen has done a BIG NO-NO here! BlackBerry Priv is supposed to be a success because of its Security, keyboard, and several BlackBerry apps like Hub, Search, etc.

From the start, those that haven't been using BB10 will most likely not buy Priv because of Hub & Search. They wouldn't understand why it's that good by just playing around with the phone in the store.

That leaves security & keyboard. But Security is basically shot down by Chen himself by saying it's only as good as Samsung (biggest Android market share holder!) and that Priv is no better than Blackphone which was hacked quite quickly last year. He's basically saying there is no such thing as a secure Android phone since out of Priv, Samsung, & Blackphone, even the best was not safe. But he could've done this without telling people that Priv is no better than Samsung in security!

Then that leaves keyboard and ONLY keyboard.

But wait, even those who loves keyboards will think twice now because BlackBerry might stop making handsets so they may not get much support in the future. Plus, when it's released it will only be Lollipop and not the latest (Marshmallow).

So now I don't think Priv will do well at all and BlackBerry will really stop making phones.

I tried to be positive all this time but after reading about the Code/Mobile interview with Chen, i'm seriously worried about buying another BlackBerry phone (regardless of OS).

EDIT: I didn't realise the Blackphone thing wasn't so severe after just reading this article: http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...acked-sort-of/

via CB10 on Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    Last edited by Dabida; 10-08-15 at 10:41 PM. Reason: http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/08/blackphone-goes-to-def-con-and-gets-hacked-sort-of/
    techvisor likes this.
    10-08-15 10:26 PM
    Hey, think a bit.

He's better off underpromising and overdelivering. Wait for the Blackphone2 to get hacked.

If the Priv stands its ground, it's a win... :-)

With all the new Stagefright bugs, this thing already needs an update if the software has been marked RTM ....

Hope the OTA follows quickly as stated before the real damage happens! :-D

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy...! ;-) 
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 10-08-15 at 10:59 PM.
    10-08-15 10:40 PM
    I agree that Chen has done a BIG NO-NO here! BlackBerry Priv is supposed to be a success because of its Security, keyboard, and several BlackBerry apps like Hub, Search, etc.

From the start, those that haven't been using BB10 will most likely not buy Priv because of Hub & Search. They wouldn't understand why it's that good by just playing around with the phone in the store.

That leaves security & keyboard. But Security is basically shot down by Chen himself by saying it's only as good as Samsung (biggest Android market share holder!) and that Priv is no better than Blackphone which was hacked quite quickly last year. He's basically saying there is no such thing as a secure Android phone since out of Priv, Samsung, & Blackphone, even the best was not safe. But he could've done this without telling people that Priv is no better than Samsung in security!

Then that leaves keyboard and ONLY keyboard.

But wait, even those who loves keyboards will think twice now because BlackBerry might stop making handsets so they may not get much support in the future. Plus, when it's released it will only be Lollipop and not the latest (Marshmallow).

So now I don't think Priv will do well at all and BlackBerry will really stop making phones.

I tried to be positive all this time but after reading about the Code/Mobile interview with Chen, i'm seriously worried about buying another BlackBerry phone (regardless of OS).

via CB10 on Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    Hey, instead let them go all out and promise the world to everyone. Yes, we'll 110% keep building and supporting phones down to the last dollar in the bank. Then pull another PlayBook...

The damage will be minimal as there won't be any devices anymore to sell or hardware business worry about!

If that's what you guys want...? :-)

I appreciate Chen's statement from that side!

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy...! ;-) 
    10-08-15 10:44 PM
    Hey, instead let them go all out and promise the world to everyone.
    You don't need to promise the world to know that when your sales on the floor and people need to buy your phones again promoting the competition is not the way to go. Chen is the master (when asked about BB10 for example) of the vague statement, he just needed to day "we believe in our solution" and not get into all that other stuff.
    JeepBB, PantherBlitz and mikeo007 like this.
    10-09-15 12:58 AM
    What he should have said was something like this:

We've got the Priv for those who want a more secure Android experience, but because it's running Android, the better platform for security is BB10 and BES12 as we can develop and control the entire chain from hardware to MDM/Enterprise software.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-09-15 01:37 AM
    Chen is an id10t... pure and simple.

And apparently the board room is full of 'em too if they can't see it.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-09-15 01:58 AM
    Chen is an id10t... pure and simple.

And apparently the board room is full of 'em too if they can't see it.

Posted via CB10
    I have thought this from day one. It's funny how many people loved him initially, I honestly didn:t think that this many people would change their minds about him and I wish I hadn't been right. I know lots of people will want to crucify me for saying this but I think thorsten was the best possible choice for CEO and that he did almost everything right. They didn't give him enough time. He kept asking for patience but they wouldn't give it to him.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-09-15 02:33 AM
    The car-crash continues:

Q10Bold and theboogeyman like this.
    10-09-15 02:49 AM
    EDIT: I didn't realise the Blackphone thing wasn't so severe after just reading this article
    The nanosecond any BlackBerry device is hacked the same way, they can kiss their security argument bye-bye.
    THIS is my real concern here.
    They will argue : "but not on BB10". And the answer will be :"but it's EOL, isn't it ?"
    No matter what the truth (idk) is.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-09-15 03:54 AM
    Guys, guys you're just not getting it are you?
    Chen is a genius.
    This whole thing; the development, marketing and release of The Toilet Phone; is an ingenious PR stunt.
    Here's the real road map:
    Release Privy.
    Privy gets hacked on day 2.
    Media storm.
    Chen on every major news outlet saying'what do you expect? It's an Android. If you want real security use BB10.'
    Mass Migration to BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 05:01 AM
165 1234 ...