08-28-14 09:54 PM
278 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Alex from Android Central just did a pretty informative piece on point today. Worth a read if you're at all interested in Google location and history reporting.
    Understanding Google's Android location tracking | Android Central
    08-17-14 02:23 PM
    Location Services they knew about. It's the location History that was disturbing(the link from OP On page 1). They had no idea their whereabouts were being stored.

I agree with everyone that some location services are necessary. I don't think this one is.
    Which is why it's an optional Opt-in feature. It's not like it's snuck in behind the user's back. Turning the option on results in a "This is what it does.... Are you sure you want to do this" warning. To say anybody had no idea is just incorrect. Not to mention that any user can go back and delete their history any time they choose.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 08-17-14 at 02:41 PM.
    Witmen likes this.
    08-17-14 02:30 PM
    Location Services they knew about. It's the location History that was disturbing(the link from OP On page 1). They had no idea their whereabouts were being stored.

I agree with everyone that some location services are necessary. I don't think this one is.

Posted via CB10
    I'll grant you that their bona fides read as tech savvy, maybe just not for phones.

I still don't get how someone could not understand how Google Now does predictive suggestions.
    08-17-14 02:50 PM
    There are three possibilities, and they are caused by FB.

1st is the FB Messenger, which has an option for location reporting. Turn this off, and FB messenger will stop notifying others using FB messenger of your location.

2nd is a result of FB Check-in. If you check in to a location via FB, your FB friends will be notified. The kicker here, is that many people don't realize that after checking in to a location, FB will want to check you in automatically any time you return in the future (unless you tell it specifically not to).

3rd, there is the Nearby Friends option which you have to opt in to. Which can be turned off at any time. This is probably what your friends are experiencing. If they don't want their location reported to their FB contacts, then they need to turn off Nearby Friends.

It's not Android reporting their friends location. It's the FB service that's pushing the notification. Anybody that doesn't want FB to report their location needs to change their FB Places settings to disable automatic check-ins (though it may not be called Places anymore), or turn off Nearby Friends.

[edit] It should also be noted that there's no actual Know My Location setting in the Facebook app. Only the option to not share your location in FB Messenger, the Automatic Check-in setting, and Nearby Friends. If you don't want FB to know your location, you have to turn off Location at the device level.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I know they don't do the check-in thing, but I'll tell them about the others, thanks.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-17-14 04:13 PM
    I'll grant you that their bona fides read as tech savvy, maybe just not for phones.

I still don't get how someone could not understand how Google Now does predictive suggestions.
    Really? that's what it's for? Predictive suggestions??

You will allow them to log your whereabouts so that Google Now can predict where you're going and offer you suggestions? You don't know where you're going? Can't find your school anymore?

Do you need Google to know what time you take your lunch break every day? Perhaps they can adjust the predictive suggestion to offer some food choices at that time? Now that's clever advertising! How else can they manipulate you with their "features"? Of course you want all this...

I don't understand why anybody would turn this thing(history) on. It kills the battery, uses up resources, leaves a trail..for the awesome benefit of "predictive suggestions".

In any case, I don't have to second guess anything with Blackberry. Locations services does exactly what I imagine it to do, nothing more.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-17-14 05:30 PM

You will allow them to log your whereabouts so that Google Now can predict where you're going and offer you suggestions? You don't know where you're going? Can't find your school anymore?

Do you need Google to know what time you take your lunch break every day? Perhaps they can adjust the predictive suggestion to offer some food choices at that time? Now that's clever advertising! How else can they manipulate you with their "features"? Of course you want all this...

I don't understand why anybody would turn this thing(history) on. It kills the battery, uses up resources, leaves a trail..for the awesome benefit of "predictive suggestions".

In any case, I don't have to second guess anything with Blackberry. Locations services does exactly what I imagine it to do, nothing more.

Posted via CB10
    its not that you dont know where you are going, its to tell you about how long to get there. what the traffic conditions are, if the road is closed due to a wreck. If it uses battery its not much. turning it off doesnt add anything measurable to me daily usage
    08-17-14 06:12 PM

You're really going out of your way to prove a point in which you've missed the entire... well, point.

All the features are not based around you not knowing "where you are". That's easy to know. Anybody with an ounce of intelligence knows that. The features are based around "where you plan to be".

Sure... I know that I have a meeting at 3:45 pm at an address that is across town. And if I want to bother and interrupt myself throughout the day, I can constantly check on the traffic status or anything else that may or may not effect my punctuality to get there. OR, I can have a jiffy spiffy notifier that takes care of that for me.

I will give you a simple example of how it worked for me a few days ago... A client was flying in, in which I had an obligation to pick them up from the airport. Two factors wound up altering what time I had to leave to pick him up on schedule. First, his flight was delayed by a few hours. Second, there was an accident on the main route to the airport that significantly changed the commute time to get to the airport. Google Now accounted for both instances. I was able to finish more work than I normally would have had I just driven out at the scheduled time, and I was provided with an alternate route. Sure, I could have checked myself occasionally to stay up to date. But with the features I had with Google Now, I didn't have to. It was sooo much more convenient. Instead of having to research myself, the information was right there at my fingertips.

You could argue many points. Most of which could also expand to arguing against the need of a smartphone altogether. After all, does anybody really NEED a smartphone? Most of us lived decades without them, yet we all seem to have survived.

If my device can tell or inform me of information before I actually think about needing that information... Good on my device! When I have an appointment scheduled and default the notifier to 30 minutes prior, but Google Now can determine that due to traffic that it will be a 50 minute commute using the best route available, I'd sooner side with being notified with a "Hey bonehead.. you need to leave NOW" notification.

[edit]Oh! Here's an example that I used just this morning... I had a package coming in. A package that is somewhat important to me. As I was leaving the house this morning, my phone notified me that this package is due to be delivered early morining (based on the tracking number and the service delivering it). I didn't want it to just sit on my front porch all day until I got home, so I was able to make arrangements for my neighbors to receive the package. Easy Peasey.
    08-17-14 06:48 PM
    its not that you dont know where you are going, its to tell you about how long to get there. what the traffic conditions are, if the road is closed due to a wreck. If it uses battery its not much. turning it off doesnt add anything measurable to me daily usage
    Howarmat, I get why your location should be shared sometimes. It's necessary for live, realtime data. However, your location 9 weeks ago is not needed to know the ETA of your destination or traffic conditions today.

I don't think we're all talking about the same thing.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 07:01 PM
    For all the people on this forum that think Google is so great, here is just one article I found and you really need to read it.
    "Google? Evil? You have no idea
    Brace yourself for an exhaustive rundown of Google's master plan and the company's ultimate goal"

Google? Evil? You have no idea | Cringely - InfoWorld
    08-17-14 07:10 PM
    Howarmat, I get why your location should be shared sometimes. It's necessary for live, realtime data. However, your location 9 weeks ago is not needed to know the ETA of your destination or traffic conditions today.

I don't think we're all talking about the same thing.

Posted via CB10
    True, and if you don't like it stored, you can turn it off, and even delete the history of it.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-17-14 07:10 PM
    Another really good article about the wrong doings of Google:

Why Google Really is Evil | Fox Business
    08-17-14 07:13 PM
    For all the people on this forum that think Google is so great, here is just one article I found and you really need to read it.
    "Google? Evil? You have no idea
    Brace yourself for an exhaustive rundown of Google's master plan and the company's ultimate goal"

Google? Evil? You have no idea | Cringely - InfoWorld
    hah, that was pretty funny, it's always humorous to watch people claim a private company whom they have all rights to entirely avoid, is big brother. i wonder how many people have failed to see the satire there.
    Tre Lawrence and Witmen like this.
    08-17-14 07:13 PM
    You're really going out of your way to prove a point in which you've missed the entire... well, point.

All the features are not based around you not knowing "where you are". That's easy to know. Anybody with an ounce of intelligence knows that. The features are based around "where you plan to be".

Sure... I know that I have a meeting at 3:45 pm at an address that is across town. And if I want to bother and interrupt myself throughout the day, I can constantly check on the traffic status or anything else that may or may not effect my punctuality to get there. OR, I can have a jiffy spiffy notifier that takes care of that for me.

I will give you a simple example of how it worked for me a few days ago... A client was flying in, in which I had an obligation to pick them up from the airport. Two factors wound up altering what time I had to leave to pick him up on schedule. First, his flight was delayed by a few hours. Second, there was an accident on the main route to the airport that significantly changed the commute time to get to the airport. Google Now accounted for both instances. I was able to finish more work than I normally would have had I just driven out at the scheduled time, and I was provided with an alternate route. Sure, I could have checked myself occasionally to stay up to date. But with the features I had with Google Now, I didn't have to. It was sooo much more convenient. Instead of having to research myself, the information was right there at my fingertips.

You could argue many points. Most of which could also expand to arguing against the need of a smartphone altogether. After all, does anybody really NEED a smartphone? Most of us lived decades without them, yet we all seem to have survived.

If my device can tell or inform me of information before I actually think about needing that information... Good on my device! When I have an appointment scheduled and default the notifier to 30 minutes prior, but Google Now can determine that due to traffic that it will be a 50 minute commute using the best route available, I'd sooner side with being notified with a "Hey bonehead.. you need to leave NOW" notification.

[edit]Oh! Here's an example that I used just this morning... I had a package coming in. A package that is somewhat important to me. As I was leaving the house this morning, my phone notified me that this package is due to be delivered early morining (based on the tracking number and the service delivering it). I didn't want it to just sit on my front porch all day until I got home, so I was able to make arrangements for my neighbors to receive the package. Easy Peasey.
    Again, you are giving examples of Google Now for upcoming events.

I am not debating location SHARING. It Is input to a service NOW.

Anyway this is a waste of time for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 07:17 PM
    A great quote from this article:

Which is more evil, Google or Apple Inc.? - Fortune

For better or worse, Apple’s business model is built on the sale of high-end devices and Google’s on the sale of targeted advertising. Technically, in Benedict Evans’s formulation, this has Apple pushing innovation down the stack into hardware and software integration, where it’s hard for Google to follow. Meanwhile Google is pushing innovation up the stack into cloud-based artificial intelligence and machine-learning services, where Apple has a hard time going.

In also opens the gate for Apple to take high road on privacy and security. Google is stuck facing a new Internet mantra: “If you’re not paying for a product, you are the product.”
    08-17-14 07:18 PM
    hah, that was pretty funny, it's always humorous to watch people claim a private company whom they have all rights to entirely avoid, is big brother. i wonder how many people have failed to see the satire there.
    There are probably a hundred articles out there about how evil and invasive Google is. Just read and stop believing they are not doing anything wrong. I will never understand how anyone could think a company with such a devious agenda is so innocent. READ!
    08-17-14 07:21 PM

At least one.
    katiepea and Witmen like this.
    08-17-14 07:24 PM
    Just read the articles I posted and see if you are still laughing.
    08-17-14 07:28 PM
    A great quote from this article:

Which is more evil, Google or Apple Inc.? - Fortune

For better or worse, Apple’s business model is built on the sale of high-end devices and Google’s on the sale of targeted advertising. Technically, in Benedict Evans’s formulation, this has Apple pushing innovation down the stack into hardware and software integration, where it’s hard for Google to follow. Meanwhile Google is pushing innovation up the stack into cloud-based artificial intelligence and machine-learning services, where Apple has a hard time going.

In also opens the gate for Apple to take high road on privacy and security. Google is stuck facing a new Internet mantra: “If you’re not paying for a product, you are the product.”
    Only Apple has a much worse history with privacy and security than Google does, like tracking users even after they've disabled tracking services and hiding the fact that they do it. Once again, Google is probably the most open about this, what's ironic about that sentiment is that Apple tracks and owns your data in just the same way Google does, Apple does after all own the 2nd largest mobile ad service, behind Google. Read an Apple EULA.
    08-17-14 07:28 PM
    I read the article. I laughed because if that isn't satire, someone is clueless.
    08-17-14 07:29 PM
    someone is clueless.
    Too funny. Think about what you just wrote.
    08-17-14 07:31 PM
    Too funny. Think about what you just wrote.
    What exactly am I clueless about again?
    Coffee Shampoo likes this.
    08-17-14 07:57 PM
    What exactly am I clueless about again?
    I did not say that.
    08-17-14 07:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    You do know that it takes about a half second to toggle Location on and off in the notification panel when you do or don't want it running. Right?
    No need. I've been around long enough to tell the difference between silly clickbait editorial pieces and actual news. If you thought those links were the latter instead of the former you would probably really enjoy an author named David Icke
    Nicholas Kathrein likes this.
    08-18-14 05:27 AM
    Wow, really hard to comprehend.

Google Now needs history to predict things you may be interested in. Google Now will populate and ask me if I'm interested in what it gave me. Not interested? I won't see it again.

I can go in a delete my location history. I won't because in the long run it helps me.
    08-18-14 06:27 AM
    I suppose there are those who know better than I do about what I need and who feel that they need to save me from myself, poor uninformed naive Android and Apple loving consumer that I am.

Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    tre10, m1a1mg and Coffee Shampoo like this.
    08-18-14 07:56 AM
278 ... 7891011 ...