08-28-14 09:54 PM
278 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Let me make very clear that I believe your right to privacy is guaranteed. I think you not only have the right to it, but that you are perfectly sane for caring and expressing concern here, I hope my previous post is not seen as some sort of attack or anything. I will respond to your actions for protecting your privacy as mostly in vain though. Just using the internet destroys all of your objectives. Even if you use Tor. Even without cookies you're still vulnerable to data collection, even without browser cache, even if you don't use Android apps there are still plenty of BB apps that track, throwaway email accounts don't really do anything except inconvenience you, they're still all traced and logged back to you or your mac address / ip address. In a file for you they will all appear together, no matter how disposable they are. Same thing goes with phone numbers. I don't know, or care to know, who you care about tracking you or having your information, that's your business. If you're serious about this though, there are other methods.
    Thanks. I didn't take your post as an attack at all.

The small steps I take won't ensure privacy completely, that's certain, but it's a small effort which can help in a big way.

I'm a software developer by profession so I know the details. Your right Tor only goes so far, just like VPN, but the ISP has most of the control. Having Tor spoof your location likely puts you on a watch list lol.

I've witnessed a lot of careless practices that have changed my attitude toward privacy, especially with credentials. It makes the Russian 1.2 Billion password breach not surprising at all. However, I am not worried of any threat on myself.

I sent Blackberry a proposal for the elimination of passwords altogether. Something similar to Kerberos authentication but with a single trusted Authority.

Hopefully they can implement this for us people who don't like where things are headed with privacy.

A little off topic. A friend off mine launched a site ParanoidPaul.com. It's been tracking the big tech giants Terms of Use for almost 4 years. Every little amendment was logged. You know what? Many times they made minor Amendments that changes the print dramatically and they didn't update the "Last Modified Date". Fortunately Google published every change and it's available. I applaud them for that.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-16-14 05:27 PM
    I don't believe many people knew about this. I mentioned this detail to all my friends with Androids(mostly tech people) and they were all severely disturbed and upset.
    I'm completely aware that you are 100% protected from being questioned about this because there's no way I can possibly prove it, but nonetheless I will say that I do NOT believe you.

Here's why (not for your benefit because I realize you'll of course deny it, but for other readers):

Normal people don't go around mentioning a single detail about android location services. How do did you manage to bring this up in conversation? Nice weather Steve, hey I have this totally random thing I want to tell you? By the way, how are you?

I find it highly implausible and doubtful that you approached all your android owning friends to tell them about location services. But what really makes your story sound even more fishy to me is that you claim they are mostly tech people and they all, without exception, not only supposedly didn't know about it (as android owning tech people!?) but they all reacted mysteriously the same way!

No offense but I'm not buying this. It sounds totally like the same kinds of made-up stories people on forums invent while trying to win a forum argument.

Which of these sounds more reasonable: that the very unusual set of circumstances you're claiming above actually happened? Or that you made the whole thing up to win an internet forum argument (which is a far more common occurrence). I'm going to say it's the latter of the two.

Or a third option and also more likely than your own claim is that you probably told two people who aren't tech savvy, and exaggerated things to invoke fear and uncertainty as a response, and are now totally embellishing the story.
    m1a1mg, Coffee Shampoo and tdawg00 like this.
    08-16-14 05:45 PM
    I didn't really wanna say he was a liar but maybe a little embellishment of the truth about their tech savvyness as if they were really tech savvy they would already know the options of their phone inside and out.

Under location in the options there's Google Location reporting. In that it's split into Location Reporting and Location History

Location history
    08-16-14 06:32 PM
    @jonnaver I actually did ask friends about this who use Google phones after reading this post. It isn't a stretch for me to consider the question as reasonable to slip into a conversation. I couldn't imagine doing so feeling awkward. That being said four of the six people I asked had no idea it was happening. Only one cared enough to turn it off. Anyway like I said earlier I turned mine off after learning about it. I have a nexus. But I don't care too much either way. I just found your post to be an over the top attempt to discredit someone opening up an interesting discussion. It is clearly something that people want to discuss.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-16-14 06:50 PM
    I didn't really wanna say he was a liar but maybe a little embellishment of the truth about their tech savvyness as if they were really tech savvy they would already know the options of their phone inside and out.

Under location in the options there's Google Location reporting. In that it's split into Location Reporting and Location History
    http://i.imgur.com/lX59kFk.jpg

Location history
    http://i.imgur.com/0bqg1D1.jpg
    Thanks, this is how it should be. People just mentioned how you're asked to turn it on during setup. The fact that it is more granular and you can enable location services and disable and delete the history solves the problem!

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 07:41 PM
    Also, Android users have this thing where it tracks you and even notifies your facebook friends if you are near. And this is with location services on the facebook app supposedly off. And according to my friend, no way to turn it off. If there is, please let me know so I can tell him how. But that is REALLY intrusive if you ask me...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    lift and theRock1975 like this.
    08-16-14 07:48 PM
    I see a lot of lame excuses defending Android's blatant data collection on this thread.

To those people who answered "Yes" to "Would you like location services On?":

Would you answer the same to:
    "Would you like Google to track and log your whereabouts forever which will benefit you in no way at all? In fact it may be used against you and Google will use it to get to know you better for is own ulterior motives and profiting."

Location Services should not mean 24x7 people following.

Posted via CB10
    This is a red herring.

First, I don't agree to allow Google to track me in perpetuity. I allow Google to track a user in the current time and the past. Should I be as paranoid* as you, I could disassociate myself from Google. I just don't want to.

Second, you state "which will benefit you in no way at all". This is the giant red herring. OF course Google gives me something in return for my non-personal data. It gives me "free" services. Now, I'll agree that those services aren't truly "free". Google gets something in return. But Google doesn't sell m1a1mg's information. They sell random data that shows person X has been to all of these locations. And every time person X goes in this area, they stop at Arby's. Let's send him and Arby's coupon. Oh, the sheer horror of that. Google tracking me gives me services and more.

Third, and finally, if you really told "tech savvy" people about this and they were surprised, I'd suggest raising the bar on your standard of "tech savvy". My 20 year old son in the Army knew it. His exact answer was "Duh? How else would Google Now work."

An honest question, do you use any apps at all? Because some of my favorite apps serve me best by tracking where I am. Waze and Yelp come to mind.

I don't mean that to be an insult, although I'm sure it could be taken that way.
    Nicholas Kathrein likes this.
    08-16-14 07:51 PM
    Also, Android users have this thing where it tracks you and even notifies your facebook friends if you are near. And this is with location services on the facebook app supposedly off. And according to my friend, no way to turn it off. If there is, please let me know so I can tell him how. But that is REALLY intrusive if you ask me...

You have to share your Contacts with FB.
    08-16-14 07:53 PM
    @jonnaver I actually did ask friends about this who use Google phones after reading this post. It isn't a stretch for me to consider the question as reasonable to slip into a conversation. I couldn't imagine doing so feeling awkward. That being said four of the six people I asked had no idea it was happening. Only one cared enough to turn it off. Anyway like I said earlier I turned mine off after learning about it. I have a nexus. But I don't care too much either way. I just found your post to be an over the top attempt to discredit someone opening up an interesting discussion. It is clearly something that people want to discuss.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Thanks. Same reactions from my friends.

I'll promise on the heads of my kids if that helps some posters believing me.

My best friend, who happens to have a B.Eng in computer Hardware Engineering and super tech geek (plays with wrt54, linux, hardware pcb boards etc. Was unaware. Shut off location services after I sent him link. He was most disturbed and asked about ios and bb10.

My closest colleague at work, B.Comp.Sc, software Analyst and huge Android fan has a nexus.... Introduced to me and demoed Tor, didn't know about location history even though he configured TOR In front of me!!

My brother B.Comp.Sc, Unix admin, Android.. didn't know. Shut it off.

My good friend, high school education, but tech and car enthusiast, didn't know and shut it off immediately after seeing red lines.

Two other colleagues that were iphone fans and dumped ios for Android few years ago didn't know.

If these people didn't know, what about regular, non-IT people?

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-16-14 08:09 PM
    You have to share your Contacts with FB.
    So you can't share your contacts with FB without it tracking you and reporting to all of your friends when you're close? I have my fb and contact integrated so it makes communicating with them easier since I can pick between messaging them in fb or text them, and so for the friends I don't have photos for it can use the fb profile pic, but I in NO WAY want it to report where I am to my friends or to report when I'm close to any of them. That's not possible on Android or is there a way?

08-16-14 08:17 PM
    Thanks. Same reactions from my friends.

I'll promise on the heads of my kids if that helps some posters believing me.

My best friend, who happens to have a B.Eng in computer Hardware Engineering and super tech geek (plays with wrt54, linux, hardware pcb boards etc. Was unaware. Shut off location services after I sent him link. He was most disturbed and asked about ios and bb10.

My closest colleague at work, B.Comp.Sc, software Analyst and huge Android fan has a nexus.... Introduced to me and demoed Tor, didn't know about location history even though he configured TOR In front of me!!

My brother B.Comp.Sc, Unix admin, Android.. didn't know. Shut it off.

My good friend, high school education, but tech and car enthusiast, didn't know and shut it off immediately after seeing red lines.

Two other colleagues that were iphone fans and dumped ios for Android few years ago didn't know.

If these people didn't know, what about regular, non-IT people?

Posted via CB10
    If your friends are willing to root their phones and install stuff and want their privacy reassuring. Then tell them to look towards Xposed and a module called Xprivacy. It allows you to choose what details each app receives.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-16-14 08:41 PM
    So you can't share your contacts with FB without it tracking you and reporting to all of your friends when you're close? I have my fb and contact integrated so it makes communicating with them easier since I can pick between messaging them in fb or text them, and so for the friends I don't have photos for it can use the fb profile pic, but I in NO WAY want it to report where I am to my friends or to report when I'm close to any of them. That's not possible on Android or is there a way?

Yeah, not sure who to blame. I'd think FB, But that is a guess.

Rock, how did they think Google Now worked????
    08-16-14 08:43 PM
    who cares if google is watching your move..

it's not like its going to send in the NSA after you

bunch of cry babies i swear
    08-16-14 09:09 PM

i dont have this happening to me at all, i have all google location data on but location data in FB is off
    08-16-14 09:14 PM
    But how would FB contacts be alerted?
    08-16-14 09:28 PM
    EDIT: What am I doing for privacy?
    No social media. Family and friends know not to post anything about myself or my family.
    No cookies!
    Browser Cache goes to RAM drive and is wiped on every chance.
    No apk!
    No cloud storage.
    Throwaway email accounts
    Rotating home phone numbers.
    We are in the same boat. I do all those things and more except I don't even have a home phone.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-16-14 10:11 PM
    Is there a cellular signal on the commuter train?
    Absolutely
    08-16-14 10:18 PM
    i dont have this happening to me at all, i have all google location data on but location data in FB is off
    Weird, my friend and his girlfriend both have Samsungs, and both have their location data in FB off, but everytime we hang out, they actually jokingly point out the notification they get that the other is close by...
    08-17-14 02:04 AM
    QB, your need for gps position for hiking and use of transportation app does not justify Google tracking you and logging your whereabouts forever.

The location tracking and history collection should be a granular option within location services and should be OFF by default even if location sharing is ON. This is reasonable isn't it?

EDIT: What am I doing for privacy?
    No social media. Family and friends know not to post anything about myself or my family.
    No cookies!
    Browser Cache goes to RAM drive and is wiped on every chance.
    No apk!
    No cloud storage.
    Throwaway email accounts
    Rotating home phone numbers.

Posted via CB10
    My point - at the point you logged in your IP had your activity. Your emails go back to you. Your phone numbers go back to you.

If you're functioning in this digital age you are tracked and privacy is a theoretical construct with no basis in reality.

As to the first point, I get too much use out of Google Now than to not use it. I am under no impression that there is a human somewhere poring over my personal life. I am aware that I leave bits and bytes trailing me that *CAN* be used if I do something stupid. I can't say how many times I've learned about something I want from targeted ads....last one, Tiles. So I ordered some. Now, if I'm browsing adult toys and my daughter gets on my laptop, THAT would be bad. But then it's MY responsibility to manage what I do online. It's not Google's fault if I'm an irresponsible user.
    I get real life information that gives me real life choices out of Google Now. I ASKED for tracking. It's MY choice. I am more worried about not making it to day camp after work because of jammed roads than I am about Google knowing that I've visited Designer Shoe Warehouse five times this month.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-17-14 at 05:35 AM.
    Coffee Shampoo likes this.
    08-17-14 05:19 AM
    Same with me.
    08-17-14 05:21 AM
    Most folks don't know that there is a GPS chip in every device that can be turned on remotely and you have no control over how it works.

Organizations like the NSA and other government agencies have had the ability to do this for a while and use the events of 911 and national security to do it.

I have come to the conclusion that as long as you are connected to the grid via, cellular or Internet, you can be tracked. That's just the way it is with the technology that is available in today's world.

My advice is to forget about it and live life to the fullest, worrying about someone tracking you only adds stress and shortens your lifespan, just my two cents.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    08-17-14 05:27 AM
    Most folks don't know that there is a GPS chip in every device that can be turned on remotely and you have no control over how it works.

Organizations like the NSA and other government agencies have had the ability to do this for a while and use the events of 911 and national security to do it.

I have come to the conclusion that as long as you are connected to the grid via, cellular or Internet, you can be tracked. That's just the way it is with the technology that is available in today's world.

My advice is to forget about it and live life to the fullest, worrying about someone tracking you only adds stress and shortens your lifespan, just my two cents.

B R I L L I A N T.

Thank You.
    08-17-14 05:37 AM

Much truth there. While I got this part right, I still need to work on ignoring all the people who don't. Maybe I'll just respond to them like you did from now on
    08-17-14 07:39 AM
    Weird, my friend and his girlfriend both have Samsungs, and both have their location data in FB off, but everytime we hang out, they actually jokingly point out the notification they get that the other is close by...
    There are three possibilities, and they are caused by FB.

1st is the FB Messenger, which has an option for location reporting. Turn this off, and FB messenger will stop notifying others using FB messenger of your location.

2nd is a result of FB Check-in. If you check in to a location via FB, your FB friends will be notified. The kicker here, is that many people don't realize that after checking in to a location, FB will want to check you in automatically any time you return in the future (unless you tell it specifically not to).

3rd, there is the Nearby Friends option which you have to opt in to. Which can be turned off at any time. This is probably what your friends are experiencing. If they don't want their location reported to their FB contacts, then they need to turn off Nearby Friends.

It's not Android reporting their friends location. It's the FB service that's pushing the notification. Anybody that doesn't want FB to report their location needs to change their FB Places settings to disable automatic check-ins (though it may not be called Places anymore), or turn off Nearby Friends.

[edit] It should also be noted that there's no actual Know My Location setting in the Facebook app. Only the option to not share your location in FB Messenger, the Automatic Check-in setting, and Nearby Friends. If you don't want FB to know your location, you have to turn off Location at the device level.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 08-17-14 at 01:24 PM.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    08-17-14 12:48 PM

Location Services they knew about. It's the location History that was disturbing(the link from OP On page 1). They had no idea their whereabouts were being stored.

I agree with everyone that some location services are necessary. I don't think this one is.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 01:54 PM
278 ... 678910 ...