08-28-14 09:54 PM
278 ... 23456 ...
tools
    As long as I'm not on wanted list, I don't care if Google records where I was on that day at that time. There's fuc*ing video cameras everywhere now anyway!
    08-15-14 03:20 AM
    From this article :

See What Google Knows About My Location - Business Insider

You can supposedly see all the places Google has tracked you using this link: https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0

For me it shows nothing, but for my Android wielding friends, it shows disturbingly detailed maps.

I'd like to see what other BlackBerry users get,.. especially those that have used Android/iOS in the recent past.

Kinda geeky ,.. but also pretty creepy !

Posted via CB10
    ...well, i went for a bike ride the other day, and got a flat. put my phone (S4) down on the curb while i mounted the bike onto the car (wife came to pick me up). got home, fell asleep, on my way to work the next day, realised i didnt have my phone with me, tried calling, went straight to voicemail. Did someone steal it ?did i lose it ? Searched the house....searched the car and then i remembered i had put it on the curb and couldnt remember picking it up.

went back to the location that my wife picked me up, and no phone...for sure i thought someone picked it up.... tried all the samsung track my phone etc etc etc but that didnt work because the battery was dead..so the phone was off....enter google location history...

...a very accurate map was provided...along my bike path..a few time stamps where i got the flat...and this is when my sigh of relief came... then the stamps continued all the way home that night, then to an indoor soccer field (wife plays soccer), and not too long after, the time stamps stopped...battery died

i went out to the car again and searched thoroughly...the phone had been on the back seat, and somehow fell in between the seats, and ended up underneath the seat cushions....

i would have never found that phone if it weren't for the location history
    08-15-14 07:16 AM
    This is a very convenient feature for me, I work on the road so this helps me keep track of where i've been at specific times and days.
    08-15-14 08:41 AM
    No I am not wrong on either statement. You seem to know so much about android, what is Cyanogenmod?
    Here is the first paragraph in the about section:
    About

CyanogenMod (pronounced sigh-AN-oh-jen-mod), is a customized, aftermarket firmware distribution for several Android devices (See above for supported devices & how to install CyanogenMod on said devices). Based on the Android Open Source Project, CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability over Android-based ROMs released by vendors and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, HTC, etc. CyanogenMod also offers a variety of features & enhancements that are not currently found in these versions of Android.

Gee, doesn't sound like regular android to me.
    Having used TouchWiz, Paranoid Android, Slim, Omni and currently on Sense, I can safely say these are all asked in the start up of the phone. PA, Slim and Omni setup are identical to each other since they are AOSP based ROMs which as you'll already know, the same as CyanogenMod.
    08-15-14 08:59 AM
    I have location always turned off unless I need it.
    Again, where are the Mod's?
    With all of your privacy concerns, you better stop using the internet, or a smartphone, or a computer. You are being track everywhere you go.

I would also like to add that like most people realize, you have zero idea of how Google uses your information for advertising.
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-15-14 09:01 AM
    Not to mention the number of times it's saved me from getting stuck in traffic with real time alerts.

On a funny side note, 99.9% of the people protesting about location tracking would completely reverse their stance if they were getting paid well to leave it on. I'm fact, I'm willing to bet that if Google sent you an email saying "hey, we'll give you a thousand dollars a week if you allow us to datamine everywhere you go for the rest of your life" you would. Probably for half of that. Most of you would allow Google to install cameras in your house and turn your personal life into public spectacle if it meant you'd get rich from it. You don't have principles when it comes to privacy, you simply have a price.
    tre10 likes this.
    08-15-14 09:09 AM
    Not to mention the number of times it's saved me from getting stuck in traffic with real time alerts.

On a funny side note, 99.9% of the people protesting about location tracking would completely reverse their stance if they were getting paid well to leave it on. I'm fact, I'm willing to bet that if Google sent you an email saying "hey, we'll give you a thousand dollars a week if you allow us to datamine everywhere you go for the rest of your life" you would. Probably for half of that. Most of you would allow Google to install cameras in your house and turn your personal life into public spectacle if it meant you'd get rich from it. You don't have principles when it comes to privacy, you simply have a price.
    While what you are saying is true, many people will do a lot of things they don't want to do for money. Some people work jobs that they don't like but pay well so they stick with it. However, others will take a pay cut to work a job they love.

I truly think that some people have principles and really cherish their privacy. Now if you offered them $5 million...
    08-15-14 09:32 AM
    I always have my location turned on, on my z30
    Right, and BB has records of everywhere you've been, just like Google does. The difference is that Google not only shows you the information it has for you, it does useful things for YOU with that data, and even allows you to delete it all if you wish.

Location data has to be enabled (you are asked when you activate an Android phone, or when you install something like Google Maps on a non-Android phone - it is OFF by default). People love to freak out about the data, but mostly they are freaking out because they can SEE the data on Google because Google is transparent about it and SHOWS it to you, and lets you decide what to do. Most other services have all the same info (if you've turned on location services), they just don't show you.
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-15-14 09:46 AM
    NO. Those two options are turned on by default on android phones!
    OFF by default on a Nexus device - you are asked during setup if you WANT to turn them on.
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-15-14 09:47 AM
    Right, and BB has records of everywhere you've been, just like Google does.
    Is it speculation or a fact?
    Many claimed that BlackBerry will infest its products with ads which never happened. Similarly, some say that they have access to bbm chat messages but users can't restore history when switching devices.
    Did BlackBerry confirm they store location data. I wonder why would they do that.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 10:03 AM
    As long as I'm not on wanted list, I don't care if Google records where I was on that day at that time. There's fuc*ing video cameras everywhere now anyway!
    I think about that with the Google Glass out cry. It's like just because you don't see a camera doesn't mean there aren't cameras everywhere. Lets face it. If someone wants to track you (gov) they can just lock on to your Cellphone as long as it's on. These services need every single bit of data they can get to give that creepy/cool features that really do help. If I was criminal I wouldn't use these services because a court can grant access to email and everything else to prove what things you have done but for most of us Google having this data isn't a problem and as they move towards doing something bad, we users, make a huge outcry and change their minds. To be totally private is to much work for most and doesn't pay off in the end. Just my opinion.
    08-15-14 10:32 AM
    ...well, i went for a bike ride the other day, and got a flat. put my phone (S4) down on the curb while i mounted the bike onto the car (wife came to pick me up). got home, fell asleep, on my way to work the next day, realised i didnt have my phone with me, tried calling, went straight to voicemail. Did someone steal it ?did i lose it ? Searched the house....searched the car and then i remembered i had put it on the curb and couldnt remember picking it up.

went back to the location that my wife picked me up, and no phone...for sure i thought someone picked it up.... tried all the samsung track my phone etc etc etc but that didnt work because the battery was dead..so the phone was off....enter google location history...

...a very accurate map was provided...along my bike path..a few time stamps where i got the flat...and this is when my sigh of relief came... then the stamps continued all the way home that night, then to an indoor soccer field (wife plays soccer), and not too long after, the time stamps stopped...battery died

i went out to the car again and searched thoroughly...the phone had been on the back seat, and somehow fell in between the seats, and ended up underneath the seat cushions....

i would have never found that phone if it weren't for the location history
    Finding a great use for most of this stuff really drives home the usefulness of this stuff. In the news it's about about webpages clicks and viewers so they make everything seem (OMG!)
    08-15-14 10:35 AM

I have to say that is the most absurd statement I have ever read. People that care a lot about their privacy would not do this. Maybe the typical Joe schmoe would but I can tell you right now that I would not. There is no simple price for ones privacy if you truly care about it.
    08-15-14 11:19 AM
    Google is in your brain if android and google phone users have one, LMAO
    lift likes this.
    08-15-14 11:29 AM
    And I'm sure that 99.9% of you who are ok with Google data mining you for its profit rail against the government for doing it, for Verizon introducing Smart Rewards, advanced cookies, etc. See how made-up statistical figures work?
    lift likes this.
    08-15-14 11:57 AM
    See I love Google Now. I love that it tells me how long it will take me to get to work today, if there are any traffic anomalies I need to watch out for etc. I like that it consults my calendar as well and tells me when, considering the current traffic, I have to leave to make a meeting, to make dinner etc.

I like that I can ask it for gas stations, where my bank branch is in places I am unfamiliar with. A whole host of services made possible by tracking my current and usual traveling histories.

I guess if the men in the black helicopters come for me they will know all of my usual transit routes. That's the price you pay I suppose. Otherwise I am hard pressed to know how this in any way injures me.

Oh Google Now is brilliant. I love the info it gives me regarding my commute. And for that I had to turn on location services on my Android device. It did not come on by default.
    08-15-14 12:10 PM
    Again, I ask, WHY on earth would ANYONE want Google or anyone else to know where you go all the time. When you go places, how often you go places, what those places are, etc.
    Nobody needs to know any of that, ever.

If Google Now knows that on a weekday I'm going to go to Washington D.C. via a specific route it will check for me and let me know if there are traffic jams letting me decide whether to take another route. It also knows and will let me know the expected travel time. This is before I leave the house. It will continue to alert me. So when it knows that I'm about to go home it reverses the process before I leave so I can take alternate routes if I want.
    To say nothing of it knowing where I am if I'm lost while on a hike.
    08-15-14 12:22 PM
    No wonder NSA loves android and iphones and hates on BlackBerry. The growing evidence is getting more sickening.

Posted via CB10

Any government agency can get what they want from anyone.

What do you think happens when faced with a BlackBerry? "oh sweet can't get anything on this guy he's got a Z30..... We can't prove anything he's done so we should let him go."
    Nicholas Kathrein likes this.
    08-15-14 12:26 PM
    If Google Now knows that on a weekday I'm going to go to Washington D.C. via a specific route it will check for me and let me know if there are traffic jams letting me decide whether to take another route. It also knows and will let me know the expected travel time. This is before I leave the house. It will continue to alert me. So when it knows that I'm about to go home it reverses the process before I leave so I can take alternate routes if I want.
    To say nothing of it knowing where I am if I'm lost while on a hike.
    We become too much dependable on machines; we are slaves. Our brain turns off when an elementary task is done for us. I like those times when I could remember birthdays of my friends. Now that is not necessary as many social networks remind you. It is not as pleasant to receive birthday wishes anymore.
    I deliberately turn off gps systems when driving in poorly known neighborhood just to practice orientation by road signs.
    I take random routes to my work place with hope to find something new and interesting. I am lucky to live in a place where traffic jams are rare.
    TV was one of inventions that negatively affected people's imagination. Why read a long book if you could watch a 2 hour movie.

Yes, without machines we would be living in last century but I wish we use them wisely.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-15-14 12:45 PM
    We become too much dependable on machines; we are slaves. Our brain turns off when an elementary task is done for us. I like those times when I could remember birthdays of my friends. Now that is not necessary as many social networks remind you. It is not as pleasant to receive birthday wishes anymore.
    I deliberately turn off gps systems when driving in poorly known neighborhood just to practice orientation by road signs.
    I take random routes to my work place with hope to find something new and interesting. I am lucky to live in a place where traffic jams are rare.
    TV was one of inventions that negatively affected people's imagination. Why read a long book if you could watch a 2 hour movie.

Yes, without machines we would be living in last century but I wish we use them wisely.

Posted via CB10

We could do stop reliance on technology. Smartphones for example. We can all do without them. Including you.

I've got several alternate routes. So if my default route, by virtue of mileage or time, is blocked, I can alter plans. In order to do that I need a view OR the means to have the knowledge. Both are reliant on technology.
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-15-14 12:50 PM
    Gotta love Google.
    08-15-14 02:29 PM
    Any government agency can get what they want from anyone.
    I agree, but they have to piece everything together to get what they want unless they are specifically watching you for some reason. Why would you otherwise just hand over detailed information of your everyday lives to any entity?
    So Google knows where you live, where you work, when you go to work, what route you take and that's just one piece of the puzzle. Now if they have your search data, your internet activity and other information don't you think they eventually will know exactly who you are?
    Again, convenience is not worth my privacy. Sorry.
    08-15-14 03:07 PM
    I just went and wiped that clean. Creepy stuff.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    lift likes this.
    08-15-14 03:09 PM
    This is really disturbing. I just shared this with my Android using friends (over BBM of course) and they're not happy at all.

I don't believe anybody could simply dismiss this. If you had someone following you all day and noting every place you go, even if you are doing nothing wrong, wouldn't you ask yourself why?? What are they gaining from this?

Location services for GPS, traffic is fine, but why are they logging your whereabouts in a database? Don't be evil my a$s. This is so low.. I can't believe they are getting away with this.
    lift likes this.
    08-15-14 03:25 PM
    Cool stuff.

Though it is easily confused. I just looked at my last week and during my commute, it shows me in places I've never been.

Mostly because my commute confounds Google Now. From home I drive to a commuter train station, ride the train downtown and walk from the station to the office. If I tell Google that I commute by train, it gives me times for the subway. It appears to not know about the commuter train.
    08-15-14 03:27 PM
278 ... 23456 ...