08-28-14 10:54 PM
278 12345 ...
tools
    I wasn't complaining. Like I've already said I just turned them off after reading the thread. The TMO rep set up my phone so I missed the request. The baby accusation seems way over the top to me. I don't know how I could have possibly sounded more indifferent to the whole thing than I did.
    Last phone I saw bought in the carriers store the rep flipped through the setup screens as fast as they could while hiding the phone under their desk.

I realize some don't care, but I do value my privacy. I firmly believe that no one should be collecting, storing, or making accessible this sort of information with out absolutely ensuring fully informed consent from the user or under certain exceptional circumstances. Leaving it as an option that was most likely set by your carrier when you bought the phone, especially for the more novice user, doesn't qualify in my books.

Some where along the way this crosses a line. Yes, I realize some of you consider this a valuable service that helps you go about your day, I do not. Which is actually a right of mine.
    lift likes this.
    08-14-14 03:17 PM
    No they aren't! Why make a blanket statement like that? Do you have any idea how many different Android phones there are out in the world? Is my OnePlus One a Android phone? I would say yes, well it doesn't have those two options turned on by default.
    OnePlus One runs CyanogenMod which is based on android but is not plain android. Also we are talking about location data Google is collecting not "all the data BlackBerry collects". Start a different thread.
    08-14-14 03:19 PM
    Last phone I saw bought in the carriers store the rep flipped through the setup screens as fast as they could while hiding the phone under their desk.

I realize some don't care, but I do value my privacy. I firmly believe that no one should be collecting, storing, or making accessible this sort of information with out absolutely ensuring fully informed consent from the user or under certain exceptional circumstances. Leaving it as an option that was most likely set by your carrier when you bought the phone, especially for the more novice user, doesn't qualify in my books.

Some where along the way this crosses a line. Yes, I realize some of you consider this a valuable service that helps you go about your day, I do not. Which is actually a right of mine.
    The device setup comes to a screeching halt the moment it asks for your Google credentials. A carrier rep cannot just blindly run through it without your consent. Without your credentials, there's nothing that can be setup that would tie in to any of Google's services.

If you just hand that information to a carrier rep, that's just stupid.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Cynycl, m1a1mg, vtpmt81 and 4 others like this.
    08-14-14 03:48 PM
    OnePlus One runs CyanogenMod which is based on android but is not plain android. Also we are talking about location data Google is collecting not "all the data BlackBerry collects". Start a different thread.
    If you knew anything about Cyanogenmod, you'd know how far off base you are.

Stop. Please. This is the second time in this thread you made a statement that is completely wrong and uninformed.

Last edited by DenverRalphy; 08-14-14 at 04:33 PM.
    Witmen, mornhavon, Cynycl and 1 others like this.
    08-14-14 03:51 PM
    This is the second time in this thread you made a statement that is completely wrong.
    No I am not wrong on either statement. You seem to know so much about android, what is Cyanogenmod?
    Here is the first paragraph in the about section:
    About

CyanogenMod (pronounced sigh-AN-oh-jen-mod), is a customized, aftermarket firmware distribution for several Android devices (See above for supported devices & how to install CyanogenMod on said devices). Based on the Android Open Source Project, CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability over Android-based ROMs released by vendors and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, HTC, etc. CyanogenMod also offers a variety of features & enhancements that are not currently found in these versions of Android.

Gee, doesn't sound like regular android to me.
    08-14-14 04:34 PM
    Again, I ask, WHY on earth would ANYONE want Google or anyone else to know where you go all the time. When you go places, how often you go places, what those places are, etc.
    Nobody needs to know any of that, ever.
    08-14-14 05:06 PM
    Again, I ask, WHY on earth would ANYONE want Google or anyone else to know where you go all the time. When you go places, how often you go places, what those places are, etc.
    First, I want Google Now to know where I've been. It makes Google Now work that much better. It is a conscious decision that I made to use Google Services.
    Second, Google primarily uses generic data to provide me with information that is worthwhile to me. Again, a conscious decision that I made.
    Third, Google doesn't sell me. They sell my reference data. In return they give me really kewl stuff that I can use for no cost.

Seems easy enough to me.
    08-14-14 05:19 PM
    I wasn't complaining. Like I've already said I just turned them off after reading the thread. The TMO rep set up my phone so I missed the request. The baby accusation seems way over the top to me. I don't know how I could have possibly sounded more indifferent to the whole thing than I did.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    There are so many settings in android and loads of agreements with fine prints that they recommend consulting with your lawyer before making a purchase. I did so when I dealt with mortgage papers and was given clear description on what I am losing if signed. I would suggest you do the same next time you visit a cheap carrier store.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 05:33 PM
    No I am not wrong on either statement. You seem to know so much about android, what is Cyanogenmod?
    About

CyanogenMod (pronounced sigh-AN-oh-jen-mod), is a customized, aftermarket firmware distribution for several Android devices (See above for supported devices & how to install CyanogenMod on said devices). Based on the Android Open Source Project, CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability over Android-based ROMs released by vendors and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, HTC, etc. CyanogenMod also offers a variety of features & enhancements that are not currently found in these versions of Android.

I run it and it's basicly stock android with a few nice features like when you can just turn off wifi from the pull down instead of it taking you to the wifi settings screen. Again it's looks and works as close to stock android gets. That's why so many people want it to upgrade an older phone.
    tdawg00 likes this.
    08-14-14 05:36 PM
    About

You're reading a description without experience. Cyanogenmod is closer to the OHA and AOSP standards than any of the other Android releases.

But hey, a random description you read (and misinterpreted) is more informative than actual experience, right?

CyanogenMod does not intrude upon core functionality with Android.

mornhavon and tdawg00 like this.
    08-14-14 06:10 PM
    So is the OnePlus One not an Android phone? Crazy, whenever I boot up my OnePlus One, it says "Powered by Android" the very first thing.

But even if the OPO doesn't run plain enough Android for you, so what? You're still completely wrong about what you said. I own Nexus devices, they don't have location tracking on by default either. So what is your point? Do Nexus devices run plain Android???

It is OK man, you made a completely incorrect statement and claimed that Android phones have location tracking on by default. I'm sure it sounded good in your head while you were typing it up and it is common for folks to spread misinformation around here, but I think it is time you admit that you haven't a clue about what you're talking about.
    mornhavon and litig8or98 like this.
    08-14-14 06:17 PM
    Let me guess, you're A OK with BlackBerry knowing your location at all times though right? You must be since you have to agree to let them track your location to get any use out of a BlackBerry device. Have you ever read a BlackBerry TOS agreement?

(a) Personal Information. Your use of the BBM Solution (or any portion thereof), including the installation and/or use of the Software, or associated Airtime Services, or the creation of a BlackBerry ID, may result in the Processing of personal information as defined under applicable law about You, or if You are a corporation or other form of legal entity, Your employees and other individuals that You authorize to use Your BBM Solution on Your behalf (collectively, "Users") by the BlackBerry Group of Companies and its service providers, Your Airtime Service Providers, and third parties with products or services used with Your BBM Solution. Depending on the Services used, personal information may include information such as name, display picture, status and personal messages, email address, telephone number, language preference, BlackBerry ID, account credentials and settings, Device information (for example, Device identifiers and Device model), country and time zone, Airtime Service Provider information, and information about the use of Your BBM Solution functionality and the Services or software and hardware utilized in conjunction with Your BBM Solution. Depending on the availability of features in the BBM Solution, address book information, Device location data, calendar, photos, reminders may be accessed by the BBM Solution and Processed by BlackBerry to provide functionality that uses this information as part of or in conjunction with the BBM Solution (for example, to allow You to send a "Recommend BBM" email or SMS to contact(s) in Your address book). You consent that the BlackBerry Group of Companies may collect such personal information from You directly, or obtain it from Airtime Service Providers or third parties with products or services used with Your BBM Solution. Where You are a corporation or other legal entity, You shall ensure that You have obtained all necessary consents and authority to agree to, and give the consents required under this Section 19 as they relate to personal information of Your Users that is collected through their use of Your BBM Solution.
    At least Google let's us see and erase the data they collect from us. Try deleting the data BlackBerry has collected from you.
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-14-14 06:37 PM
    Let me guess, you're A OK with BlackBerry knowing your location at all times though right.
    That's the kicker. If Google wasn't associated with Android, or if Android didn't exist at all and BB was on top with these same features... Then this forum would be singing the praises of said features.

Back in the day... Every user on this forum clamored for the next new innovation from Google. They praised it, they begged for it, they all wanted everything Google promised to do. Then Android skyrocketed. Suddenly Google and all they stood for was the enemy.

If along the line BB could have held Google in an agreement or partnership throughout it all, the sentiment on this forum would be entirely different. Aside from a few nutjobs who wear tinfoil behind closed doors.

08-14-14 06:49 PM
    What's even more creepy, I clicked on tomorrow's date and it shows where I'm going!!!!

Just kidding but someday it probably will!
    Elite1, vrud, Cynycl and 1 others like this.
    08-14-14 07:04 PM
    From this article :

See What Google Knows About My Location - Business Insider

You can supposedly see all the places Google has tracked you using this link: https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0

For me it shows nothing, but for my Android wielding friends, it shows disturbingly detailed maps.

I'd like to see what other BlackBerry users get,.. especially those that have used Android/iOS in the recent past.

Kinda geeky ,.. but also pretty creepy !

Posted via CB10

My BlackBerry doesn't show anything for last 30 days, though I don't use Google maps on my BlackBerry either.. will have to check my iPhone sometime to see if it continues tracking after I stopped using it

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 07:09 PM
    What's even more creepy, I clicked on tomorrow's date and it shows where I'm going!!!!

Just kidding but someday it probably will!
    it kinda does

google now will be telling you how long to get to work and such before you leave
    randall2580, Cynycl and FF22 like this.
    08-14-14 07:23 PM
    That's the kicker. If Google wasn't associated with Android, or if Android didn't exist at all and BB was on top with these same features... Then this forum would be singing the praises of said features.

Back in the day... Every user on this forum clamored for the next new innovation from Google. They praised it, they begged for it, they all wanted everything Google promised to do. Then Android skyrocketed. Suddenly Google and all they stood for was the enemy.

If along the line BB could have held Google in an agreement or partnership throughout it all, the sentiment on this forum would be entirely different. Aside from a few nutjobs who wear tinfoil behind closed doors.

This is true... we're so desperate for apps that if BlackBerry all of a sudden was allowed to run Google Services (in all its 'glory'),.. I would bet the vast majority of users would eagerly scroll down through the terms and sell their soul without thinking about it twice.

We're just bitter for being left out of the party... so stop it with your reasoning and just let us be bitter dammit! lol

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 08:31 PM
    you 2 want to fight take it to a different schoolyard....any more between either of you and you BOTH know what will happen
    08-14-14 09:52 PM
    Is it possible to get location history from BB?
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-14-14 09:59 PM
    You're reading a description without experience. Cyanogenmod is closer to the OHA and AOSP standards than any of the other Android releases.

But hey, a random description you read (and misinterpreted) is more informative than actual experience, right?
    I'm reading without experience. I'm wrong. I'm misinterpreting. Boy you are full of slander aren't you. I have gotten warnings for less. Where are the mod's when you need them?
    08-14-14 10:25 PM
    Let me guess, you're A OK with BlackBerry knowing your location at all times though right? You must be since you have to agree to let them track your location to get any use out of a BlackBerry device. Have you ever read a BlackBerry TOS agreement?
    I have location always turned off unless I need it.
    Again, where are the Mod's?
    08-14-14 10:27 PM
    I'm reading without experience. I'm wrong. I'm misinterpreting. Boy you are full of slander aren't you. I have gotten warnings for less. Where are the mod's when you need them?
    I thought Denver's post was perfectly reasonable
    mornhavon and Cynycl like this.
    08-14-14 11:04 PM
    I checked on my Z30 and it showed me already ''logged in'', I guess because of my gmail account. And there was no tracking activity.

I had my son check on his S4, same thing, no tracking activity. I'm pretty sure he already turned off location services (or whatever it is called); plus he installed a different ROM (don't know which one)
    08-14-14 11:48 PM
    I checked on my Z30 and it showed me already ''logged in'', I guess because of my gmail account. And there was no tracking activity.

I had my son check on his S4, same thing, no tracking activity. I'm pretty sure he already turned off location services (or whatever it is called); plus he installed a different ROM (don't know which one)
    None for me.
    08-14-14 11:54 PM
    From this article :

See What Google Knows About My Location - Business Insider

You can supposedly see all the places Google has tracked you using this link: https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0

For me it shows nothing, but for my Android wielding friends, it shows disturbingly detailed maps.

I'd like to see what other BlackBerry users get,.. especially those that have used Android/iOS in the recent past.

Kinda geeky ,.. but also pretty creepy !

Posted via CB10
    Turn off the location history and reporting, not just for privacy but also for longer battery life. Location Reporting is a huge battery drain.
    08-15-14 03:23 AM
278 12345 ...