08-28-14 10:54 PM
278 1234 ...
tools
    NO. Those two options are turned on by default on android phones!
    No, they are not.

The first time you activate an Android device, the user is asked very specifically whether s/he would like to turn them on.
    08-14-14 09:06 AM
    Having location turned on alone doesn't trip it. Android devices have Location Reporting and Location History options as well. You have to turn those two options on for it to track your movements.
    All those options are turned on on my device.
    lift likes this.
    08-14-14 09:07 AM
    Well, why did you turn them on for?
    08-14-14 09:09 AM
    Your Z30 supports Google Services and thus has the option to enable those options?
    08-14-14 09:12 AM
    I have a question. In 40 or so more years, when I'm dead and nothing whatsoever has ever come of me using location services, should I or should I not stipulate in my last will and testament that people don't bring smartphones to my funeral, just in case mysterious men in black suits find out where my final resting place? Should I have my coffin lid lined in tin foil?

I'm taking preventative measures right now:

I live under a fake identity so that all my credit and debit cards and every purchase I've ever made on them never reflect where I live or was when I used them

The tax man and govt doesn't actually know anything about me.

I break the law and refuse the census

All cable and utilities are stolen from neighbors because I burrowed underground to their basements so no bills ever identify me.

I never ever use a PC or Mac because I don't want to be one of those hypocrites who makes a big deal about privacy yet owns a PC connected to the internet.

My ISP thinks I am a unicorn living in a magical glade in an invisible forest.

So am I safe now? I just don't want a billion dollar corporation knowing where I bought my toilet paper, because I realize my activities are a center of focus for them. Can't be too careful!
    08-14-14 09:12 AM
    Do you have any location tracking history at that link?

I've never checked those options on or off from my G3, yet I still don't have any tracking history for my accounts. Makes no sense because I have used Google Maps on both my devices with both of my accounts signed in yet I've got nada to show for it.

It seems like it is actually harder to get your location tracked on that site than it is to prevent it.
    I didn't check the link. I was just saying I found the settings and turned them off. I know the google now on my phone had determined where I lived and worked without me telling it after a week with the phone. The weird part is it was a week mainly on vacation in a different city. At any rate I'm just reporting what I found in the settings. I've had other android phones and never looked for location history or tracking before. This is the first time I enjoyed an android so its good to know how to turn certain features off as I'll most likely be using this for awhile. At least until I can see if I like the passport.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Witmen likes this.
    08-14-14 09:13 AM
    Your Z30 supports Google Services and thus has the option to enable those options?
    I meant locations systems service traffic data collection is turned on on my device
    Attachment 290702
    08-14-14 09:18 AM
    For me it shows nothing, but for my Android wielding friends, it shows disturbingly detailed maps.

Kinda geeky ,.. but also pretty creepy !

Posted via CB10
    I see nothing wrong with that. Every time you use Internet, someone will know your location. Google is just one of those. If I am admin of forum and you are the regular user, I can know your location by tracking your IP address unless you use proxy.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    TheBlkGuyFrmWrk likes this.
    08-14-14 09:24 AM
    Why do I have to sign in? Isn't that obviously going to disclose my location?

Blackberry z30 OS 10.3.0.700
    Really? They can't just show you where anyone has been, and how would they know who you are if you didn't sign in.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 09:28 AM
    Really? They can't just show you where anyone has been, and how would they know who you are if you didn't sign in.

Posted via CB10
    I actually made that comment when I first clicked the link and it asked for me to sign in. I thought I just need to click the link and "poof", the whole location thing will come up

08-14-14 09:31 AM
    Why do I have to sign in? Isn't that obviously going to disclose my location?

Perhaps so nobody else can track your history?
    08-14-14 10:11 AM
    I actually just turned those two options off on my nexus after reading this thread.

This is asked on the 1st boot up of the phones. It's asked. If you don't ready the screens and hit continue then YOU are at fault. It's never your fault. Always the big companies fault and when proved wrong let ***** about something else. You don't even get that Google gives you the option to use this and lets you use this data if you want. Just a bunch of babies.
    Last edited by Nicholas Kathrein; 08-14-14 at 10:55 AM.
    Berry_Pink and mornhavon like this.
    08-14-14 10:14 AM
    I have a question. In 40 or so more years, when I'm dead and nothing whatsoever has ever come of me using location services, should I or should I not stipulate in my last will and testament that people don't bring smartphones to my funeral, just in case mysterious men in black suits find out where my final resting place? Should I have my coffin lid lined in tin foil?

I live under a fake identity so that all my credit and debit cards and every purchase I've ever made on them never reflect where I live or was when I used them

All cable and utilities are stolen from neighbors because I burrowed underground to their basements so no bills ever identify me.

I never ever use a PC or Mac because I don't want to be one of those hypocrites who makes a big deal about privacy yet owns a PC connected to the internet.

So am I safe now? I just don't want a billion dollar corporation knowing where I bought my toilet paper, because I realize my activities are a center of focus for them. Can't be too careful!
    Too late, you've posted on CB and now Bronco Bama knows all about you and your every movement. They know what kind of toilet paper you buy and how many squares you use per flush. Of course if you have Rimberry bubble wrap security, all of your digital footprints are cleansed from system, forcing a reboot and reformat of Bama's memory banks.

But then you gots to move to Montana and start a collective of heavily armed like minded individuals to help further the anonymity so desperately lacking for every dolt that carries a cell phone and delusionally believes there is any privacy in doing so.

Me.................. I take the added function and services that make my life easier by having Google track my every move.

I wonder how many times they've recorded that trip from the couch to the beer fridge?
    1magine and mornhavon like this.
    08-14-14 10:31 AM
    I'm still wondering if it is possible to view the data BlackBerry collects about their users. In case you all weren't aware, BlackBerry tracks the device location as well. It is clearly written out in Tue BBM terms of service and other agreements.

I think it is nice that Google at least lets us view the data they collect about us, but does BlackBerry do the same? BlackBerry knows the location of your device if you use BBM and other services they offer so can we access that info they collect or not?
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-14-14 10:41 AM
    I'm still wondering if it is possible to view the data BlackBerry collects about their users. In case you all weren't aware, BlackBerry tracks the device location as well. It is clearly written out in Tue BBM terms of service and other agreements.

I think it is nice that Google at least lets us view the data they collect about us, but does BlackBerry do the same? BlackBerry knows the location of your device if you use BBM and other services they offer so can we access that info they collect or not?
    You don't actually have to use any of those services for them know your location. All they need from you is to turn location on and sign in your BBID.
    08-14-14 10:53 AM
    I gotta take my Android tablet out for a drive or something. It hasn't been further than a half mile from my house all month.
    08-14-14 11:26 AM

Well done. You also forgot about your checking accounts, credit cards, debit/atm cards, easy pass, and never forget about those discount cards on your key-chain, they collect a ton of data on where you shop and what you buy. Seriously, how am I even posting this not through a dozen redirected VPNs?
    08-14-14 11:36 AM
    Now how do I find a well rated Thai restaurant nearby? I need to be careful who I ask...
    Cynycl and mornhavon like this.
    08-14-14 11:39 AM
    Now how do I find a well rated Thai restaurant nearby? I need to be careful who I ask...
    08-14-14 11:43 AM
    See I love Google Now. I love that it tells me how long it will take me to get to work today, if there are any traffic anomalies I need to watch out for etc. I like that it consults my calendar as well and tells me when, considering the current traffic, I have to leave to make a meeting, to make dinner etc.

I like that I can ask it for gas stations, where my bank branch is in places I am unfamiliar with. A whole host of services made possible by tracking my current and usual traveling histories.

I guess if the men in the black helicopters come for me they will know all of my usual transit routes. That's the price you pay I suppose. Otherwise I am hard pressed to know how this in any way injures me.
    mornhavon, timberdc, tre10 and 1 others like this.
    08-14-14 12:05 PM
    this shows exactly what i figured it would show. That i went to work and then to home depot yesterday.

Anyway this is how google now and such work, along with say a weather app that will use your current location to give you the weather. I see no harm in it and if I did I would disable the setting to keep the history.
    m1a1mg, mornhavon and tdawg00 like this.
    08-14-14 12:18 PM
    I guess the issue here is that, although the target advertising use is well understood and (I guess) "accepted", if anyone simply figures out your Google password (or just uses your browser, with with you previously logged in),.. they could easily view wherever you have been for an indeterminate period of time.

Although location information is not the "worst" type of data that can be compromised (as opposed to SSN, bank account info, etc),.. it certainly eludes a more eerie, tangible feeling of your privacy slowly slipping away.

Of course, as others pointed out, every other service is tracking you,.. Google is just one of the few that lets you see what they know.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 12:37 PM
    I guess the issue here is that, although the target advertising use is well understood and (I guess) "accepted", if anyone simply figures out your Google password (or just uses your browser, with with you previously logged in),.. they could easily view wherever you have been for an indeterminate period of time.

Although location information is not the "worst" type of data that can be compromised (as opposed to SSN, bank account info, etc),.. it certainly eludes a more eerie, tangible feeling of your privacy slowly slipping away.

Of course, as others pointed out, every other service is tracking you,.. Google is just one of the few that lets you see what they know.

Posted via CB10
    This is no different then leaving your phone somewhere with either no lock on the lock screen or an easy pin to guess.
    08-14-14 12:51 PM
    This is asked on the 1st boot up of the phones. It's asked. If you don't ready the screens and hit continue then YOU are at fault. It's never your fault. Always the big companies fault and when proved wrong let ***** about something else. You don't even get that Google gives you the option to use this and lets you use this data if you want. Just a bunch of babies.
    I wasn't complaining. Like I've already said I just turned them off after reading the thread. The TMO rep set up my phone so I missed the request. The baby accusation seems way over the top to me. I don't know how I could have possibly sounded more indifferent to the whole thing than I did.

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-14-14 01:30 PM
    I wasn't complaining. Like I've already said I just turned them off after reading the thread. The TMO rep set up my phone so I missed the request. The baby accusation seems way over the top to me. I don't know how I could have possibly sounded more indifferent to the whole thing than I did.

I didn't mean you if you didn't do the 1st boot. In general people don't read any of the screen and just hit next. For anyone who had the carrier setup their phone they really should ask you.
    08-14-14 01:36 PM
278 1234 ...