11-04-13 05:04 AM
39 12
tools
    I think this guy was on TV a month or so ago, talking about this plan.

He also owns some Android phone manufacturer in China.

To me this is just yet another "What If" story.

It didn't happen, so I'm not sure why people like to play the What If game all the time. It's like What If you married your girlfriend in high school? How often do people really like to think about what could have been. It's not healthy, if you ask me.

Posted via CB10
    Meh, it's an interesting story nonetheless. No gloom, doom, or another "BlackBerry is Really Dead" thread. Otherwise, knowing the OP, he would not have posted it.
    11-01-13 08:14 AM
    Why on the first slide it said crackberry is the only true brand besides apple ........?

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    It's because in the current market place there are four ecosystems.

Apple, android, BlackBerry and Windows.

Apple and BlackBerry are unique because they stand alone in that when people refer to them, they are tying themselves not just to the software like how people used to tie themselves to PC, but also the brand of hardware.

Potentially because of this, these two brands could have the highest mind share in the market. Surely apple is strong because of this and BlackBerry used to be as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 08:42 AM
    old news, yawn
    11-01-13 08:45 AM
    if they didn't go the bb10 route and opted to choose android on blackberries, at this time they would have already ran out of business.
    I'm an huge fan, but I wouldn't have bought an android-blackberry phone which would have the same identical app problems of bb10. (since it's a fork, it wouldn't have google play, and without google play it's useless to have android)
    11-01-13 11:29 AM
    if they didn't go the bb10 route and opted to choose android on blackberries, at this time they would have already ran out of business.
    I'm an huge fan, but I wouldn't have bought an android-blackberry phone which would have the same identical app problems of bb10. (since it's a fork, it wouldn't have google play, and without google play it's useless to have android)
    I don't think the plan described here had anything to do with an Android fork.
    11-01-13 11:35 AM
    I don't think the plan described here had anything to do with an Android fork.
    No, the "secret" plan was to do an android fork
    Look at the slides, Project BBX - Turnaround Plan for Blackberry (Summer 2012), slide number 21 says "replace BB10 with Android"
    And slide 31 says "discontinue qnx-bb10 and fork android"

If this plan was real, at this time blackberry would have been already out of business, as there is no point to buy a blackberry if the operating system offers much less than the competition (android without apps = useless)
    At least, bb10 with few apps it's still great!
    11-01-13 04:39 PM
    OK, we'll just go back to discussing when Instagram will be available. It's posted for conversation not as drop dead proof of anything...or for anyones health and welfare.

BTW, I was just informed that this was actually posted 13 October (by another apparently unstable member ) here: Investor tried to get BlackBerry to switch to Android | CrackBerry.com

As usual we should defer to the original discussion.
    Ha. To me, Instagram on BB10 and an Android-powered BlackBerry have about the same chances of happening

Talking about "secret failed plan" is just like me talking about what car I WAS going to buy, and talking about my hypothetical life in my new car. Would I be better off? Would I have gotten any fewer or any more speeding tickets? What color would I have chosen? Where would I have gone in this car?

This place runs rampant with speculation on a daily basis. I'd like to speculate that Amazon will swoop in tomorrow with a bid to buy all of BlackBerry and bring them into the Amazon fold. But just as I know that that won't happen, neither will this Android plan...

I guess I should just let everyone play the What If game all day
    11-01-13 08:48 PM
    Ha. To me, Instagram on BB10 and an Android-powered BlackBerry have about the same chances of happening
    <snippage>
    I guess I should just let everyone play the What If game all day
    Sean, it's just posted for conversation, nothing more, nothing less. Or, as I said, we can just resurrect one of the fiftyleven threads on Instagram, or Vine, or Alicia Keys, or...
    11-02-13 04:17 PM
    By this logic, your only other choice (really) for a device is an iPhone, as Apple controls all aspects hardware and software. You wouldnt be able to get an Android device.
    What about an android Motorola? That's all Google.
    11-02-13 07:49 PM
    Difficult, but not impossible... Amazon and Barnes and Noble forked it for their tablets. Chinese companies Baidu and Xiaomi forked it for phones. Others have been successful at making runtimes, like Jolla, and to an extent, BlackBerry.
    The problem isn't the difficulty.
    The problem is that the interesting bits are copyrighted by Google and are licensed only to manufacturers who don't fork android.
    Think android without any Google app. It's the mobile equivalent to windows 95.
    Chinese companies don't care, because they'll pirate Google apps (and not only that), but western companies will have to integrate lots of missing apps...

Without maps, Google play, hangouts, Gmail, and all the good stuff, a BlackBerry fork will have the same limitations of their Android runtime...

Posted via Z10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    11-03-13 01:48 AM
    What about an android Motorola? That's all Google.
    No, because for some reason, android reference devices engineered by Google are made by Asus and LG (nexus 4 5 7)
    Google bought Motorola, but except for the moto x, didn't bring anything new

Posted via Z10
    11-03-13 01:52 AM
    There is no shortage of loud mouth narcissists trying to big note themselves when it comes to corporate acquisitions. So far all we've had is a lot of hot air when it comes to BlackBerry's future.

Many want to boast - none want to commit. We'll see what eventuates very soon.
    11-03-13 02:54 AM
    The problem isn't the difficulty.
    The problem is that the interesting bits are copyrighted by Google and are licensed only to manufacturers who don't fork android.
    Think android without any Google app. It's the mobile equivalent to windows 95.
    Chinese companies don't care, because they'll pirate Google apps (and not only that), but western companies will have to integrate lots of missing apps...

Without maps, Google play, hangouts, Gmail, and all the good stuff, a BlackBerry fork will have the same limitations of their Android runtime...

Posted via Z10
    Also worth a mention that China doesn't allow Google Play services, so the carriers and phone manufacturers have to come up with their own alternatives.

I agree an Amazon-like fork of Android would bring no great commercial success to BlackBerry. They'd lose whatever entreprise/business customers they have left.
    11-03-13 04:53 AM
    And also every manufacturer that has a license to include google apps in their android handsets, are forbidden to make handsets with forks!
    Acer was forced to stop making Alibaba's Aliyun Android fork!
    Alibaba took 3 years (their source, i don't think that it took so long) and 1600 engineers to fork android, and then they can't make any handset with any reputable makers, having to rely on unknown brands like k-touch or zopo
    11-04-13 05:04 AM
39 12