07-12-14 09:07 PM
58 123
tools
    Still hurts a little about viigo I loved that app.
    07-09-14 11:59 AM
    If you search Scoreloop on linked in you'll notice most of their employees are in Germany. BlackBerry sells off their German R&D division to VW then announces that Scoreloop will no longer be supported? Coincidence? Or did this sale include the employees of Scoreloop?

Someone write an article about it so BlackBerry will respond with a fact check.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 06:26 PM
    ... I'm among those who only ever opened it by mistake.
    Yeah me too. Not much of a mobile gamer anyway.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 06:30 PM
    Yeah me too. Not much of a mobile gamer anyway.

Posted via CB10
    It wasn't very good in the first place. But it should have a better replacement integrated with BBM perhaps.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-09-14 07:24 PM
    I would like to see a deep gaming integration. Offline multilayer, online multilayer, text, voice and video chatting, leader boards, etc.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 11:52 PM
    If it was retraining then why would it be shut down?

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 11:54 PM
    The Viigo acquisition was where the BlackBerry News applications came from. As we know that's long been retired and the team has moved on.

On the Newbay front, I believe there was an interview where someone justified the decision by saying BlackBerry didn't have the financial resources handy to invest and scale it into the global cloud platform it would need to serve its "expected" customer base.

Scoreloop was around pre-iOS game center and pre-google play games so I suspect that the traction is no longer with the service, which is why BlackBerry is shutting them down.

As a developer this is a real downer as it means my app needs a lot of rework to be scoreloop free and my users loose a ton of functionality. I don't expect scoreloop to show up as a reskinned SDK or anything else as they have essentially told us to screw off while they cover their legal asses.

On the german front, BlackBerry has only sold their product dev center, I suspect the scoreloop team has been laid off. BlackBerry still owns Ubitexx in germany who build their BES10 iOS and Android efforts.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 12:38 AM
    Please tell me this isn't true. I have met many contacts through scoreloop. This is a very sad day. Maybe time to give up my BlackBerry.

Powered by BB10
    pystha likes this.
    07-10-14 12:53 AM
    Usual double-edged sword results. While the social aspect of Scoreloop will be missed, the Games app won't be.

Similar to Adobe AIR getting the boot.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 12:57 AM
    Usual double-edged sword results. While the social aspect of Scoreloop will be missed, the Games app won't be.

Similar to Adobe AIR getting the boot.

Posted via CB10
    The Games app was pointless, but the scoreloop services were quite useful.

Adobe AIR on the other hand had to go. A lot of BlackBerry and BB10's problems can be traced back to allowing AIR on the platform.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 01:01 AM
    I thought ScoreLoop was also tied to in-game "achievements" or "trophies" or what-not. It's a shame to lose that aspect of the platform: I admit when I'm playing Steam games, the achievements hint at things to do in the game that might be fun, so I re-engage and try to finish a quest or something: not that the achievement is worth it in-and-of-itself, but it's like a guide to more fun to be had with a game I already enjoyed.

I hope that kind of service for BB10 games is still available: I believe Google offers something like it but only on "legit" Android devices, I expect.

Maybe BB should partner up with Microsoft or Sony on their "achievements" portals, and have game developers for BB10 have XBox achievements or PSN trophies...
    07-10-14 01:06 AM
    I thought ScoreLoop was also tied to in-game "achievements" or "trophies" or what-not. It's a shame to lose that aspect of the platform: I admit when I'm playing Steam games, the achievements hint at things to do in the game that might be fun, so I re-engage and try to finish a quest or something: not that the achievement is worth it in-and-of-itself, but it's like a guide to more fun to be had with a game I already enjoyed.

I hope that kind of service for BB10 games is still available: I believe Google offers something like it but only on "legit" Android devices, I expect.

Maybe BB should partner up with Microsoft or Sony on their "achievements" portals, and have game developers for BB10 have XBox achievements or PSN trophies...
    Microsoft obviously want to push WP while Sony want to push vita

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    07-10-14 01:39 AM
    I actually really disliked that Games app. It seemed, way back when I first got my Bb10 that I had to sign up for some reason - there was a game that wouldn't play until I did. That really annoyed me as I don't care at all for social gaming, and now I can't even remember which game it was.

However it does seem a step back for ppl who enjoy that type of thing. No word if it's being replaced I suppose?

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 07:14 AM
    Wish they would have integrated it with BBM somehow. I never opened the Games app either and always deleted it
    07-10-14 07:23 AM
    I dont think chen gets conumers = enterprise customers.

BYOD is telling us that you want to do personal fun stuff on your phone on your spare time and you shouldn't have to carry around 2 phones to do it.

Why do you think everyone is so happy to trade in their bbos for iphones/androids.

Very narrow minded guy and all these shut downs are going to kill the handset division.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 08:26 AM
    I wonder if it's because Scoreloop wasn't justified or because of Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 10:14 AM
    FTR, the official BlackBerry reply isn't all that different from the announcement itself..

BlackBerry is aligning its developer program with its renewed focus on delivering vital enterprise and productivity applications. As such, Scoreloop will permanently shut down their service on December 1, 2014.

For the time being, there will be no impact to existing Scoreloop-integrated games. They will continue to function as expected. As of December 1, 2014, users will experience issues with games that have not had Scoreloop removed from their app. The issues will impact only the Scoreloop services and the game will function as it would if did not have connectivity.

We are actively working with developers to remove the service and ensure a smooth transition and minimal impact to end customers.
    07-10-14 11:48 AM
    I wonder why Black Berry did not just spin it off or sell Scoreloop if it did not fit the new corporate strategy. Seems heavy handed to also shut it down for Android and IOS games.
    It must have been a money loser and JC saw no future for it. Their Twitter account has been quiet since early May.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AWDragon200; 07-10-14 at 03:07 PM.
    07-10-14 02:52 PM
    We have no idea of anything here. I to could be that this wasn't making a significant amount of money so why have it? Maybe BlackBerry right now wants to be stable and then they'll bring a gaming network .

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 02:56 PM
    Wonder what's going to happen with a game like "Run In Crowd" where the score loop functionality was integral to its game concept.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 04:15 PM
    So does this mean GOF2 will stop flipping upside down! Lol. I miss my space station lol.
    07-11-14 11:20 AM
    Here's a Wall Street Journal article that may answer some of the questions floating around: http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/blackbe...16393?mobile=y

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    07-11-14 11:33 AM
    What is this thing? We wont be able to play games on our BlackBerry's anymore? Or is this some kind of leaderboard **** that they're shutting down?

Black cards, Black cars - All BlackBerry-thing!
    Blackberries. The plural of BlackBerry isn't BlackBerry's.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    07-12-14 10:23 AM

I see you took an english major.. pointless but what ever floats your boat

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 02:00 PM

The plural does not apply to the actual word used to describe the fruit. Therefore BlackBerry's is correct.
    07-12-14 02:09 PM
58 123