07-12-14 10:07 PM
58 123
tools
    "Termination of Scoreloop SDK License Agreement (the ?Agreement?) & Shutdown of Scoreloop Services."

Just got the email. Scoreloop is dead and not to be in 10.3.

"Please remove the Scoreloop Software from your Games and cease accessing the Scoreloop Services prior to Dec 1, 2014.
    Additionally, the Scoreloop SDK for BlackBerry will cease to be available as part of the BlackBerry 10 SDK as of 10.3.1. Any Scoreloop services made accessible via the BlackBerry 10 SDK will cease to be available on Dec 1, 2014. Please remove any calls to the Scoreloop SDK from your BlackBerry 10 applications prior to Dec 1, 2014. "

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    07-08-14 11:53 AM
    Source link: Developer Newsletter
    07-08-14 11:57 AM
    Need a place to compile all the "we are no longer supporting BB10" developer notices.

Can't blame them a user bases of 4 or 5 million is not enough for these type of apps to make money. And it's not like that is about to change.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    07-08-14 12:00 PM
    Well that's a bunch of disappointing BS!!!

Someone should let BlackBerry know that people, both young and old, actually enjoy playing games on their phones. Heck it's probably the number one reason many of my friends use an iPhone is because of the games available on the platform.

Keep stripping away features and shooting yourself in the foot BlackBerry, I'm sure it'll definitely pay off in more device sales.

Posted via CB10
    pystha likes this.
    07-08-14 12:05 PM
    What a shame
    They bought Scoreloop and it never really got its chance to really shine, even cross platform on Android and iOS. But I really haven't even opened it in 4-5 months myself, so I can understand why they're getting rid of it. Still means they spend money and kinda destroyed Scoreloop as a company.
    But if it doesn't fit in the new vision and also isn't used, it might be the best decision

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 12:07 PM
    Ah I just posted this but was delayed because of work! Too bad wonder what will be happening with games on BB10 now.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 12:08 PM
    So if someone wants to post a game on BB10 they will be redirected to Amazon???

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-08-14 01:24 PM
    This is a mistake. A massive mistake.

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh, gng11 and pystha like this.
    07-08-14 03:41 PM
    What is this thing? We wont be able to play games on our BlackBerry's anymore? Or is this some kind of leaderboard **** that they're shutting down?

Black cards, Black cars - All BlackBerry-thing!
    07-08-14 03:44 PM
    What is this thing? We wont be able to play games on our BlackBerry's anymore? Or is this some kind of leaderboard **** that they're shutting down?

It's a leaderboard "****".

Well, everything BlackBerry works on shuts down.. can't blame them, really.
    07-08-14 03:49 PM
    I'm confused....BlackBerry acquired Scoreloop years ago. if they are no longer using the sdk, what are they doing with Scoreloop then?

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 04:34 PM
    Wow... so... the Games app will shutdown?

What about the games that used Scoreloop but don't update to remove Scoreloop integration? I guess they'll function as if they are not connected to the internet?

I've got emails from BlackBerry about "missing what Games has to offer" these past 2 months, I guess they were assessing the usage of Games and see that it's not really used.

I mean, sharing Achievements? As far as social gaming services go, it's just not enough. We need multi-player platform for social gaming, that's what makes Steam great.

And I just asked Devil's Attorney's developers to integrate their achievements with Scoreloop -.-

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    07-08-14 04:42 PM
    It's a leaderboard "****".

Well, everything BlackBerry works on shuts down.. can't blame them, really.
    Oh. I never used or even logged in to the leaderboard thingy. As long as I can play some games, im happy!

07-08-14 04:43 PM
    The other side is maybe they integrated everything they wanted out of it and are simply just not going to be using 'Scoreloop' any more. Heh, I'm among those who only ever opened it by mistake. :P
    Bilaal, LoganSix and nah.uhh like this.
    07-08-14 04:47 PM
    Yes this means no more "Games" app. That app held achievements/leaderboard scores for all games/apps that used the Scoreloop SDK.

As a developer who used Scoreloop for a leaderboard in a few of my games, this announcement saddens me. The announcement also asked developers to remove Scoreloop integration as it will no longer work in 10.3.1.

So even if you never used/open the "Games" app many games that had achievements and leaderboard will no longer have them (such as Disney's Where's My Water, Gameloft's Ironman, Gameloft's Despicable Me, Chasing Yello, Sega's Sonic, and many others).

From a big picture side, this doesn't surprise me. Scoreloop/Games don't "fit in" with Chen's latest corporate strategy.

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh likes this.
    07-08-14 06:33 PM
    Or perhaps I am reading too much into "Scoreloop is shutting down" as everything associated with it is killed too. Could be that "Scoreloop" is dead but the "BlackBerry Game System" (rebranding/upgrade/new dev tools) launched tomorrow as a new/better replacement...

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 07:06 PM
    The other side is maybe they integrated everything they wanted out of it and are simply just not going to be using 'Scoreloop' any more. Heh, I'm among those who only ever opened it by mistake. :P
    I tweeted BlackBerry

And they Favorited the Tweet. Seems kind of an odd response and made me send another Tweet.

No response on that one, but I am still curious.
    07-08-14 10:21 PM
    Or perhaps I am reading too much into "Scoreloop is shutting down" as everything associated with it is killed too. Could be that "Scoreloop" is dead but the "BlackBerry Game System" (rebranding/upgrade/new dev tools) launched tomorrow as a new/better replacement...

Posted via CB10
    That is the only logical reason, they wouldn't shut it down for any reason.
    Some feel this is another Adobe Air type thing, however, it isn't the same situation at all...
    07-08-14 11:27 PM
    I've got a question for you Bla1ze.

With this news about Scoreloop to be discontinued, what is the status of all the other acquisitions BlackBerry has made. I'll list them for you and add the info of what I've read till now, but please if u know more, please let us know.

1. QNX-(still alive and well as we all know)

2. TaT-(Is now called BlackBerry Sweden, but what exactly are they doing currently?)

3.Jaycut-(No news I can find about them.)

4.Tungle-(discontinued last I heard; don't know for sure)

5.Newbay-(sold-can't understand why; thought it was a great idea)

6.Gist-(Don't know anything about this at all)

7.Dash Navigation (Don't know anything about this)

8.Torch Mobile-(Webkit Browser-Is it still being used?)

9. Slipstream Data -(Don't know anything)

10. Data Viz-(Something to do with Docs to Go; that's all I know)

11. Viigo-(Dont know anything about this)

If u can please give us more info on what's happening with all these acquisitions, it would be interesting to know!!

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    miguel89to and arvind1983 like this.
    07-09-14 12:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    Don't think so. There is no reason to shut down Scoreloop services for the sake of re-branding. BlackBerry could have just announced a re-branding without shutting down Scoreloop services or pulling it out of the SDK.

I think Chen got the numbers and realized just about nobody used it. I mean, Scoreloop doesn't really facilitate multiplayer platform, it's only a leaderboard

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    07-09-14 12:32 AM
    Oh well. Looks like I'll have to be actually productive with my device now. Tools not Toys!

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 01:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    Is it really going to save them money to get rid of this kind of entertaining aspects of bb10...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-09-14 02:12 AM
    I've got a question for you Bla1ze.

With this news about Scoreloop to be discontinued, what is the status of all the other acquisitions BlackBerry has made. I'll list them for you and add the info of what I've read till now, but please if u know more, please let us know.

1. QNX-(still alive and well as we all know) - Still alive as you know.

2. TaT-(Is now called BlackBerry Sweden, but what exactly are they doing currently?) - Still doing design work, though some of the team LONG SINCE left.

3.Jaycut-(No news I can find about them.) - It's what StoryMaker is and the video editing solutions built into BB10

4.Tungle-(discontinued last I heard; don't know for sure) - Tungle is dead, folded into the 'Contacts App', 'head guys' have long since moved on.

5.Newbay-(sold-can't understand why; thought it was a great idea) - As you know, sold.

6.Gist-(Don't know anything about this at all) - It's where the additional online details come from your address book if you enable it, update activity and across network stuff.

7.Dash Navigation (Don't know anything about this) - BlackBerry Maps, along with data from others and I'm sure some went to QNX possibly.

8.Torch Mobile-(Webkit Browser-Is it still being used?) - BB7 and BB10 browser, though a lot of the 'head guys' of Torch have moved on.

9. Slipstream Data -(Don't know anything) - Folded into the RIM NOC, they compress the data and ensure it moves nicely through the network.

10. Data Viz-(Something to do with Docs to Go; that's all I know) - You already know, dTg.

11. Viigo-(Dont know anything about this) - Dead AFIK, not sure where the talent went on this one.

If u can please give us more info on what's happening with all these acquisitions, it would be interesting to know!!

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 02:53 AM
    Thanks for responding Bla1ze! It's definitely interesting to find out about the outcome of all the acquisitions that BlackBerry made.

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 06:35 AM
    Don't think so. There is no reason to shut down Scoreloop services for the sake of re-branding. BlackBerry could have just announced a re-branding without shutting down Scoreloop services or pulling it out of the SDK.

I think Chen got the numbers and realized just about nobody used it. I mean, Scoreloop doesn't really facilitate multiplayer platform, it's only a leaderboard

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    Scoreloop is cross-platform and used by many top developers. I believe it started as Android only and added iOS then BlackBerry when BlackBerry bought them. So probably not a numbers thing.

I'm still leaning towards branding... SPECULATION: "BBM Games" Could have games baked into chats, groups, group leaders, global leaderboards, etc. Could even be only for games bought from the BBM store (cross platform audience as well). Possibly the Scoreloop team is heading this up (along with the BBM group) and the SDK is so wildly different that it doesn't makes sense to support both. However the talent at Scoreloop are the right guys to build the tooling. Again all speculation, but that could be cool.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 07:24 AM
58 123