07-14-14 02:23 PM
78 1234
tools
    Glad to know that the "Golliaths" are aware that "David" has a unique strength (security). BlackBerry is slowly but surely regaining its footings.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-10-14 08:07 AM
    My impression was Knox couldn't be secure being build on top of Android, and the solution is for deeper integration, which is probably why Samsung had to give it up to Android for deeper integration.
    AT least on paper, KNOX is very good- they do a lot of things *better* than BlackBerry (and if you look at the DoD requirements, KNOX actually meets more of them (on the device side) than BlackBerry does), and they are as "deep" as you can get: they work right at the kernel level and leverage strong SELinux policy sets that stock Android either does not use or does not use in "enforcing' mode (ie, if an app does something bad in standard AndroidSE, you get a message in a log, whereas in KNOX, it would be (in theory) stopped dead.. Again, this is all on paper; the reality is a bit different: because Samsung does not have a BES-equivalent platform to control all these features (this is where BlackBerry picks up the slack- they are definitely behind on the handset side of things, but they are still maintaining their lead in the Enterprise management half), you're at the mercy of 3rd party MDM vendors, who do not implement the whole API set.. Additionally, even though Samsung does have the capability of deep kernel integration and they leverage the hardware security features of the ARM processor like no other platform, there is still a limit to what they can do, and that's because of Google: they can't fundamentally change the way that the core Google APIs work, so there are plenty of design flaws and security bugs that Google has not addressed and cannot easily be worked around by messing with the kernel and hardware..
    07-10-14 10:52 AM
    Why would Google want to invest a ton in a secure environment? I'm not saying they don't or won't. I am just asking an honest question. It seems they make their money off profiling and advertising. Wouldn't they have to cease that type of activity when it came to enterprise users specifically seeking a secure product?
    Bingo, you hit the jackpot. If google can't rape you of your private infomation, then they are not interested. It is that simple.
    07-10-14 11:21 AM
    Samsung's Eon Kim, Enterprise Account Manager, just wrote to say Forbes' article, "Samsung Nix's Knox: The Android Security Saga Continues" is incorrect.

What he means by "incorrect" is unknown.
    07-10-14 11:34 AM
    It's really bizarre how a company with unlimited resources can not even come close to what BlackBerry has with security.

Posted via CB10
    yep and Silent Circle, a company with even more limited resources than both Blackberry and Samsung managed to beat both in security with the Blackphone
    07-10-14 11:42 AM
    Samsung's Eon Kim, Enterprise Account Manager, just wrote to say Forbes' article, "Samsung Nix's Knox: The Android Security Saga Continues" is incorrect.

"An account with the name Eon Kim ..." will be prudent to state IMHO. (appears it's a first comment @Forbes if I refer to this - is that what you refer too ?)
    Samsung Nix's Knox.-capture.png
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-10-14 at 01:17 PM.
    07-10-14 01:03 PM
    Samsung makes solid hardware. Nice to see they maybe letting BlackBerry do what they are good at as well. No company can do everything well. The competition is too stiff for that.
    07-10-14 01:27 PM
    It's not over yet if you read the article. It's clear that Samsung has dropped Knox but Google the maker of the Android OS is working on their own security which makes sense, why be the phone hardware manufacture and have to develop the security aspect when the OS developer (Google) should be doing that?

Great news for Google bad news for BlackBerry as this would mean every Android device eventually would have the means to be as security if not more than BlackBerry, and with there being more Android devices in the world than BlackBerry's there is nothing good about that for BBRY.
    07-10-14 02:12 PM
    It's not over yet if you read the article. It's clear that Samsung has dropped Knox <snip>
    No. No they have not.

The article is wrong and Samsung has already responded to the contrary. In a nutshell, an analyst made a negligent assumption.

Which has been pointed out a couple/few times in this thread already.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    07-10-14 02:27 PM
    Android is running on more than just phones these days.

I just talked to our Coca-Cola delivery guy today and they are moving to an Android based system ( from MS) for there drivers.

Kind of a side note but security is a big selling point when dealing with a Huge Company like CC ashame they didn't go with QNX.
    07-10-14 02:56 PM
    Now let's flip a coin until we know from official statement if Samy drops Knox or not.
    In the meantime, doubt in favor of BlackBerry, I'll take that.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 03:27 PM
    It's not over yet if you read the article. It's clear that Samsung has dropped Knox but Google the maker of the Android OS is working on their own security which makes sense, why be the phone hardware manufacture and have to develop the security aspect when the OS developer (Google) should be doing that?

Great news for Google bad news for BlackBerry as this would mean every Android device eventually would have the means to be as security if not more than BlackBerry, and with there being more Android devices in the world than BlackBerry's there is nothing good about that for BBRY.
    I see any news like this as a positive for BlackBerry at this point in time. Sure the article may not be 100% accurate but it will give IT / Security folks reason to think twice about moving to Knox and so far Android 'L' is just vaporware and it sounds like they are just going to try and retrofit security into Android rather than have it as the foundation as in BlackBerry's solution.

Time will tell.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-10-14 04:01 PM
    I doubt some people read it and just decide to post 'awesome news' or some other thing like 'cool story bro' (thats me)....but let's wait and see
    07-10-14 04:34 PM
    I'm just baffle by Google decision. The company could have pay 5 billion and afford a lot more to buy BlackBerry and pick out what it needs. Personally I'm glad it did not.
    07-10-14 05:34 PM
    I'm just baffle by Google decision. The company could have pay 5 billion and afford a lot more to buy BlackBerry and pick out what it needs. Personally I'm glad it did not.
    Buying BlackBerry also means inheriting its problems. No one wants that right now.

But I agree... good for consumers that Google didn't buy BBRY.
    07-10-14 05:40 PM
    Buying BlackBerry also means inheriting its problems. No one wants that right now.

But I agree... good for consumers that Google didn't buy BBRY.
    I will be pissed if they did. It needs to be at least 7 billion. If they offer more than 7 billion, I will cherish the offer.
    07-10-14 07:34 PM
    In a nutshell, an analyst made a negligent assumption.

NOoooo!

;-)

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    07-11-14 03:58 AM
    ...and so far Android 'L' is just vaporware...
    Erm,......no it's not.

It's running on my '13 N7.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    tdawg00 likes this.
    07-11-14 04:01 AM
    Knox off.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 07:46 AM
    From another thread that drew a mod redirect:
    There is much more; I have previously put forward a number of other recommendations for a future product path, such as moves that would make replacement of tablets and light PC users with a "phone-style" device functional and possible. A good part of it (e.g. keyboard and mouse integration over Bluetooth) already works on BB10. What needs to be developed is a decent wireless or "docked" screen interface that respects the native screen resolution rather than the phone's panel res, along with the OS support to enable this to work in a fashion that is palatable (and transparent!) to phone app developers. Then port Open Officeand voila -- you have an 80-90% solution.

Remember folks that 80% of anything is pretty easy. It's the last 20% that's hard. But you don't need it all to sell the hell out of it, and if you give enterprise users a way to carry only one device yet give up nothing in terms of both personal use and enterprise security you will have a huge win.

Nobody does it today, but BlackBerry is the closest with Balance. Simply resolving 1-3 up above would get the small business user (without BES/Balance, where "corporate" and "personal" are not really separate) security for email where he needs it as they can run their own private VPN and get all data traffic secured, while not compromising functionality.

BTW this is my original content, NOT a cut-n-paste from someone else....

Aaaaannnnnndddd NO in [Market-Ticker]
    07-11-14 12:00 PM
    Seems like there are some interesting mixed signals out there.

One one hand, less than 2 months ago, an announcement was made that there would be an MDM solution launched for Knox:

Samsung ramps up Korean MDM solution partners for Knox | ZDNet

Also, less than 2 weeks ago, this PR piece regarding Knox was posted online:

Q&A with Jae Shin, Vice President, KNOX Business Group, Samsung Electronics — SAMSUNG AT WORK

On the other hand, 3 key Knox-related twitter accounts haven't posted anything since June:

@n_marie_gonz
    @Samsung_KNOX
    @devrelKNOX

And the @SamsungAtWork account seems to be active, but hasn't commented at all on all of the chatter about Knox.
    07-11-14 12:48 PM
    Either the blogger at Forbes has some inside track or he just is speculating. Either way the turbulence can be an opportunity for other MDM vendors.
    07-11-14 02:05 PM

Comments from Sammy.

Samsung is committed to the long term evolution of mobile security and the ongoing development of Samsung KNOX. While Samsung is contributing a part of KNOX technology for the benefit of the entire Android community and enterprise customers, Samsung KNOX remains the most secure Android platform from the hardware to the application level. Samsung will continue to work with our partners to enable KNOX for all of our valued customers. Our list of enterprise and government clients continues to grow rapidly, and is a testament to our commitment to providing highly-desirable, secure mobile devices across all industries. Furthermore, Samsung continues to offer differentiated and highly valuable mobile enterprise services such as KNOX EMM and KNOX Marketplace to provide customers with the most secure and scalable mobility management solution.
    Pretty much as expected. Knox, not dead as of yet.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-11-14 04:47 PM
    I see any news like this as a positive for BlackBerry at this point in time. Sure the article may not be 100% accurate but it will give IT / Security folks reason to think twice about moving to Knox and so far Android 'L' is just vaporware and it sounds like they are just going to try and retrofit security into Android rather than have it as the foundation as in BlackBerry's solution.

Time will tell.
    Android L is vaporware?? Its running on my Nexus right now and theres a whole site dedicated to improving the software. So I guess my tablet is running on fumes lol
    07-11-14 04:56 PM
    Interesting discussions

My question: What will KNOX offer Google that Divide (acquired on May 20th) isn't already?

Google Acquires Enterprise-Friendly Device Manager Divide - Forbes

https://www.divide.com/
    07-11-14 05:31 PM
78 1234