07-14-14 03:23 PM
78 1234
tools
    Why would Google want to invest a ton in a secure environment? I'm not saying they don't or won't. I am just asking an honest question. It seems they make their money off profiling and advertising. Wouldn't they have to cease that type of activity when it came to enterprise users specifically seeking a secure product?
    Maybe with Enterprise cash they don't need to. You know as well as I do those contracts and deals turn over BIG cash. They can reduce the level if the cash is already being handed over to them willingly. Just a guess.
    07-09-14 09:03 PM
    I think the more important questions are ...

1. Anyone recall that top female CIO from BB head of Enterprise that retired and suddenly earlier this year showed up at Samsung?! Is she too now leaving Samsung for Google?! If so then we SHOULD be VERY WARY!

2. How much push and resources is Google intend to and going to push this and how far back in terms of Android OS is going to be supported?! This will be a very KEY consideration as every few months the older an Android device gets the less it's likely to get a new OS but also the endless cheap to purchase cost it gets compared to even legacy BBOS devices.

1. Robin Bienfait - Former BlackBerry CIO coming out of retirement to be Chief Innovation Technology Officer at Samsung USA | CrackBerry.com
    2. That's the unknown factor I suppose. Like D_March mentioned, how much $$ does Google really want to put into it? Guess we'll see.
    07-09-14 09:09 PM
    The real KNOX is NOCS .....
    07-09-14 09:48 PM
    Indeed good news.

We shall see if Google fairs any better.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    07-09-14 09:50 PM
    My impression was Knox couldn't be secure being build on top of Android, and the solution is for deeper integration, which is probably why Samsung had to give it up to Android for deeper integration.
    07-09-14 10:01 PM
    Maybe with Enterprise cash they don't need to. You know as well as I do those contracts and deals turn over BIG cash. They can reduce the level if the cash is already being handed over to them willingly. Just a guess.
    That's a good guess.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 10:16 PM
    Well Google getting into Knox. Well that sounds really secure. We will secure it for ads and the NSA and.........
    lift likes this.
    07-09-14 10:37 PM
    Comes down to can Sammy and Google come up with a worlable security model with an open source OS.... Security is not only in the OS and phone itself... is is the MDM that will determine if Google can be successful..... would mean they would have to go the BB route with their own servers and a tight encryption system.... Really wonder if Google will try to make a complete solution... Really expensive..... or will they try to create a bandaid solution that anyone wiht any Enterprise experience will spot a mile away.... an ad based company who relies on tracking the publics actitvitis may have a hard time reconciling securiy with what has made them most of their income... Open source....
    07-09-14 11:08 PM
    Samsung is not very good at software. Therefore it is not surprising that Knox does not work well. But on the other hand, it is stupid to think only blackberry can make secure devices. Just look at how many enterprise laptops out there.
    Last edited by pbfan; 07-09-14 at 11:56 PM.
    mornhavon and sentimentGX4 like this.
    07-09-14 11:28 PM
    I think I'll hold of on the high fives and back slapping for a bit... till I see what develops. I'm not entirely sure that Google going full throttle is good for BBRY.

The thing with KNOX (for Sammy, at least) is that for me, it felt like a hobby being undertaken by a company that knows it has time -- and an insane war chest -- on its side. Even the FIPs certification Samsung got on select devices seemed like a side project.

Interesting developments, nonetheless.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-09-14 11:31 PM
    This quote from the article just made me spit out my drink because I was laughing so hard. " Google is stepping up to take the lead on Android security". That is the funniest thing I have read in years.
    glamrlama likes this.
    07-09-14 11:45 PM
    This quote from the article just made me spit out my drink because I was laughing so hard. " Google is stepping up to take the lead on Android security". That is the funniest thing I have read in years.
    Plenty of people laughed when Google said it was doing its own mobile OS. I was one of the loudest.

Google has created a mobile behemoth based on the once ludicrous concept of "secure enough." I'd hate to see what they'd come up with if focused.

There's a reason, IMHO, BBRY is taking this seriously, as evidenced by executive statements.
    07-09-14 11:55 PM
    Knox was never going to be huge by itself: companies want to be able to have flexibility in phone models for the future. Samsung has been trying to give itself options in de-coupling from Google with Knox and a whole host of proprietary S Apps. Not so easy. Tizen going nowhere. S App visibility reduced in Galaxy S5 and Touchwiz debloated. Renewed agreement with Google for cross-licensing. Knox features given to Android for Android L. Produced Android Wear watch sending its own Tizen watch into the garbage bin. Samsung is staying with Google long term.

Ecosystem is the king..there is nothing else.
    Mate, don't say that...

I want Sumsung to move to Tizen as they have already done with one device being sold in Russia. When Samsung moves to Tizen that would be the rapid or should I say spiral decline of their device sales and the lost for Android. Dr. Evil...hehehehehehahahahahaha
    07-10-14 12:02 AM
    I think I'll hold of on the high fives and back slapping for a bit... till I see what develops. I'm not entirely sure that Google going full throttle is good for BBRY.

The thing with KNOX (for Sammy, at least) is that for me, it felt like a hobby being undertaken by a company that knows it has time -- and an insane war chest -- on its side. Even the FIPs certification Samsung got on select devices seemed like a side project.

Interesting developments, nonetheless.
    Exactly.. The Android L preview doesn't even have any Enterprise stuff in it to judge off of really, so no one even really knows what they're baking in.
    07-10-14 12:13 AM
    Mate, don't say that...

I want Sumsung to move to Tizen as they have already done with one device being sold in Russia. When Samsung moves to Tizen that would be the rapid or should I say spiral decline of their device sales and the lost for Android. Dr. Evil...hehehehehehahahahahaha
    Everyone dreams. I'm not holding you back from yours.
    07-10-14 12:36 AM
    Samsung isn't getting rid of Knox anytime soon for 1 simple reason and it has nothing to do with enterprise. Basically you root your Samsung device with Knox on it. Knox gets triggered, you're phone no longer gets ota updates and you're warranty is void. Knox is a snitch when it comes to the innard workings of a Samsung device.
    07-10-14 12:37 AM
    Plenty of people laughed when Google said it was doing its own mobile OS. I was one of the loudest.

Google has created a mobile behemoth based on the once ludicrous concept of "secure enough." I'd hate to see what they'd come up with if focused.

There's a reason, IMHO, BBRY is taking this seriously, as evidenced by executive statements.
    That was Google being focused. I can agree with the idea of diversifying for another consistent revenue stream. But as a user of many Google products I cannot say they are a crack squad whether they are operating with or without focus. They do ok but they miss more than they hit. Their massive fortune isn't in direct relation to their ability or skill in my opinion. I have to use them at the University where I work and their services are not very good to be honest. So I'll take a wait and see approach.

Posted via CB10
    Reed Richards likes this.
    07-10-14 12:44 AM
    Samsung isn't getting rid of Knox anytime soon for 1 simple reason and it has nothing to do with enterprise. Basically you root your Samsung device with Knox on it. Knox gets triggered, you're phone no longer gets ota updates and you're warranty is void. Knox is a snitch when it comes to the innard workings of a Samsung device.
    So is BES10 and BES10 Cloud. Both know when a device has been rooted and jailbroken and disallows policies to be sent to the device if the admin wants. The warranty thing isn't an issue though, because well that's on the Apple and whoever manufactured the Android device lol.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-10-14 12:47 AM
    Right, but who has more money to burn? Google or Sammy? The answer there is easy. I'd prefer Samsung have it than Google lol. It's a fail for Samsung which is funny but Google has money to burn and they arguably have more of an interest to make Android secure or at least appear secure. Marketing $ can buy perception.
    (+ the above)

My reading is the following: whether or not the "Knox" sticker is removed from Samy's offering, it was advertized as a "large spectrum" security solution by Google that might compete with BES on the feature side.
    It was allegedly limited to (at best) Android devices, starting with Samy's.

It it now reduced to a simple "containerization" (sorry for beign simplistic here, pointing out the psychological side). And they have to go threw the whole certification again (no update = EOC), they're back to year 0.

It's not anymore - by any means - a competitor for BES.
    IMHO, what failed here is the - advertised as - "unique&best" united security solution for Android (business).

This fall Google looks to be hosting a major event around the release of Android L that appears to include partners like Airwatch, Citrix, Good Technology and Mobile Iron and SAP .
    Citrix and SAP are BlackBerry's historical and strong partners (you know I even point SAP as the "perfect bride").
    Back-end security/Management for Androids will now be vendor/solution specific, not OS (Android platform) related.
    Now let's see how BES will seduce them.

So yeah, maybe stop the fanfare for now, I might have over-reacted a bit . Still a nice opportunity to validate Chen's "walk the walk" arguments. Fact checking, marketing ... new era. And I like it.

Edit: For unknown reason, I've been mixing names all around. Pls excuse me, I'm editing posts (of course with initial error still present but striked)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-10-14 at 02:16 PM.
    07-10-14 04:57 AM
    Haha, classic. It's amazing all the downtalking of BlackBerry and there's still something they are king at.
    I don't consider Blackberry "king" of MDM or secure enterprise solutions.

Most individuals on Crackberry touting Blackberry's security prowess or Samsung's competiveness in the enterprise area know nothing about the subject at all. The few IT professionals here who swear by Blackberry rarely if ever detail the advantages of BES over competitor offerings and, even if they do, you have to be careful to scrutinize their fan bias.

The most egregious evidence of forum user cluelessness may be the hype over QNX and the comparison of Blackberry offerings to Boeing's Blackphone. Posters will know nothing about Blackberry's (or some big name consumer brand's) product offerings and will vouch for them anyway. This is exactly what happened with Knox.

I am not going to claim to have much knowledge regarding the quality or features of MDM or enterprise solutions; but, based on heavy adoption of competitor offerings from Good, MobileIron, etc. , the prevalence of iPhone in enterprise, the underwhelming performance of BB10, and the overall lukewarm reception of BES10, it can be inferred with a higher degree of certainty that Blackberry is not the "king" of MDM.

Enterprise have other "go to" providers before Blackberry and trend of clients switching over from BES is real.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-10-14 05:22 AM
    You can actually root without tripping KNOX.
    randall2580 likes this.
    07-10-14 06:53 AM
    [...] that Blackberry is not the "king" of MDM.
    Samsung Nix's Knox.-35-petabytes-phrase.png

+

With more than 50 certifications and approvals in 15 years of government and enterprise deployments, BlackBerry continues to provide the most tested, trusted and provenmobile security solutions in the market today.
    (bolded is my main focus here)

+

Samsung Nix's Knox.-blackberry-emm-infographic.jpg

I know these are marketing materials/statements.
    Yet, your "inferred with a higher degree of certainty" assumption is at least disputable, IMHO at a higher degree than the one you discuss.
    Rowan M and theRock1975 like this.
    07-10-14 08:12 AM
    Comes down to can Sammy and Google come up with a worlable security model with an open source OS.... Security is not only in the OS and phone itself... is is the MDM that will determine if Google can be successful..... would mean they would have to go the BB route with their own servers and a tight encryption system.... Really wonder if Google will try to make a complete solution... Really expensive..... or will they try to create a bandaid solution that anyone wiht any Enterprise experience will spot a mile away.... an ad based company who relies on tracking the publics actitvitis may have a hard time reconciling securiy with what has made them most of their income... Open source....
    Google has their own NOC already.... Google has their own Servers and can easily buy a few more..... Google already has a basic complete solution - Limited MDM via their Business Console, Business Email with your companies domain, Office Suite, and Apps, Apps, Apps..... As for it's really expensive, for a company with $60 Billion in the bank is ANYTHING too expensive?

Yes their MDM is very limited and doesn't come close to the abilities of BES or even other MDM Solutions today... But it's a start and something they can build on. Yes the Android OS is not as secure as BB10 today.... but again things change (L, M, N, O, P...).

The problem I see it BlackBerry left the Barn door open for too long, and they have a lot of work to do rounding up all the cows they once owned. BES12 and BB10 could easily be the solution that many regulated industries want - IF they can trust that BlackBerry will be here in two years. All that would really take is maybe two quarters of positive growth and revenues (based on sustainable product sales). But consumers and small business, or business that have a need for Apps.....they already have what they need.
    07-10-14 08:40 AM
    Knox Knox. Who's there?

... nobody.

Posted via CB10
    itzJustMeh and theRock1975 like this.
    07-10-14 08:48 AM
    this is awesome news!
    07-10-14 09:00 AM
78 1234