07-14-14 03:23 PM
78 123 ...
tools
    07-09-14 06:11 PM
    Samsung Nix's Knox: The Android Security Saga Continues - Forbes

Great news for BlackBerry, one less competitor, for now.
    07-09-14 06:11 PM
    Haha yesss

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 06:16 PM
    Haha, classic. It's amazing all the downtalking of BlackBerry and there's still something they are king at.
    07-09-14 06:18 PM
    Knox was never going to be huge by itself: companies want to be able to have flexibility in phone models for the future. Samsung has been trying to give itself options in de-coupling from Google with Knox and a whole host of proprietary S Apps. Not so easy. Tizen going nowhere. S App visibility reduced in Galaxy S5 and Touchwiz debloated. Renewed agreement with Google for cross-licensing. Knox features given to Android for Android L. Produced Android Wear watch sending its own Tizen watch into the garbage bin. Samsung is staying with Google long term.

Ecosystem is the king..there is nothing else.
    07-09-14 06:24 PM
    It's really bizarre how a company with unlimited resources can not even come close to what BlackBerry has with security.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 06:36 PM
    What a sign.
    Kills the "wait, Google Samsung can do, it's only a matter of huge pockets".
    Not anymore : shows how expertise and ground up secure conception is the key.

"It's not a feature".

Very important psychological turn.
    I'm dancing.

Posted via CB10

Edit: For unknown reason, I've been mixing names all around. Pls excuse me, I'm editing posts (of course with initial error still present but striked)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-10-14 at 02:12 PM.
    07-09-14 06:51 PM
    Bit of re-hashing there, even the writer knows that. Most of that was lead into at I/O. Still funny though.
    07-09-14 06:56 PM
    Didn't they have a bunch of pending deals? One being something with the UK government?

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 07:07 PM
    Bit of re-hashing there, even the writer knows that. Most of that was lead into at I/O. Still funny though.
    Sure thing, but didn't hit general media...
    Now exposed, "CIO" style.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen and Blacklatino like this.
    07-09-14 07:09 PM
    This is pretty big. Shows that Samsung can't succeed unless it's in a space where the audience can be dazed by massive marketing budgets and glitzy useless features...

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 07:09 PM
    Sure thing, but didn't hit general media...
    Now exposed, "CIO" style.

Posted via CB10
    I'm holding out for an actual announcement. Sorry, as much as I would like to see it be true.. there's a bit of double talk there and no official confirmation that I can find that specifically says Samsung is laying Knox to rest. Bob Egan is not Samsung lol. Just as we expect people to report accurately on BlackBerry, I expect people to report accurately on Samsung as well.

There isn't even any references in that article outside of Egan saying what happened at I/O and Android Central covered I/O extensively, if Knox was really, truly dead it would have been mentioned. The cake is baked but I'm not lighting the celebratory candles until I see something more official.

If anything, Knox and the work Samsung has done appears to of have been adopted by Google and in turn, has even more money to fund its existence even if 'Knox' as its known no longer exists. Google basically just took it 'in house'. Even Chen knows that. 'Google's decision to adopt Samsung Knox for Android'.. it's right there in BlackBerry's own wording.

Samsung Nix's Knox.-john-chen-knox-security.jpg
    07-09-14 07:19 PM
    The article seems to be a bit out of touch.

Samsung isn't nixing the Knox concept. If anything they're bringing partners (including Google which was announced just a couple of weeks ago) into to the project. It's simply no longer solely a Samsung proprietary project. If anything, it's expanding and not being dismantled.
    07-09-14 07:23 PM

Samsung isn't nixing the Knox concept. If anything they're bringing partners (including Google which was announced just a couple of weeks ago) into to the project. It's simply no longer solely a Samsung proprietary project. If anything, it's expanding and not being dismantled.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking too.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 07:34 PM

If it was successful they wouldn't want to share anything with anyone. But who cares what they are going to do in the future with whatever source code they have now. The real take away here is that they themselves realized the Samsung brand, despite all their marketing $, is not synonymous with security and will never be able to be repackaged and sold as such.

Google will attempt to do it under the "Android" umbrella and will likely similarly fail to attract any significant enterprise subscribers... resulting in the same conclusion being arrived at regarding Android as a whole.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and wincyUt like this.
    07-09-14 07:36 PM
    If it was successful they wouldn't want to share anything with anyone. But who cares what they are going to do in the future with whatever source code they have now. The real take away here is that they themselves realized the Samsung brand, despite all their marketing $, is not synonymous with security and will never be able to be repackaged and sold as such.

Posted via CB10
    Right, but who has more money to burn? Google or Sammy? The answer there is easy. I'd prefer Samsung have it than Google lol. It's a fail for Samsung which is funny but Google has money to burn and they arguably have more of an interest to make Android secure or at least appear secure. Marketing $ can buy perception.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-09-14 07:39 PM
    Why would Google want to invest a ton in a secure environment? I'm not saying they don't or won't. I am just asking an honest question. It seems they make their money off profiling and advertising. Wouldn't they have to cease that type of activity when it came to enterprise users specifically seeking a secure product?
    lift and sk8er_tor like this.
    07-09-14 07:51 PM
    Why would Google want to invest a ton in a secure environment? I'm not saying they don't or won't. I am just asking an honest question. It seems they make their money off profiling and advertising. Wouldn't they have to cease that type of activity when it came to enterprise users specifically seeking a secure product?
    Most people don't want to carry two phone so why not promote a 'work' side where enterprise lives and Google can still use the analytics on the personal side. Otherwise more people will go to IOS whose enterprise adoption has skyrocketed the last couple years.
    Genghis2k3 likes this.
    07-09-14 08:08 PM
    Most people don't want to carry two phone so why not promote a 'work' side where enterprise lives and Google can still use the analytics on the personal side. Otherwise more people will go to IOS whose enterprise adoption has skyrocketed the last couple years.
    Apple has an enterprise solution?

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    07-09-14 08:28 PM
    That's interesting. Outside of myself most people I come across through work do not want their work on their personal device at all. They would prefer a second device if they have to have one for work.
    anon1727506 and Blacklatino like this.
    07-09-14 08:34 PM
    I'm holding out for an actual announcement. Sorry, as much as I would like to see it be true.. there's a bit of double talk there and no official confirmation that I can find that specifically says Samsung is laying Knox to rest. Bob Egan is not Samsung lol. Just as we expect people to report accurately on BlackBerry, I expect people to report accurately on Samsung as well.

There isn't even any references in that article outside of Egan saying what happened at I/O and Android Central covered I/O extensively, if Knox was really, truly dead it would have been mentioned. The cake is baked but I'm not lighting the celebratory candles until I see something more official.

If anything, Knox and the work Samsung has done appears to of have been adopted by Google and in turn, has even more money to fund its existence even if 'Knox' as its known no longer exists. Google basically just took it 'in house'. Even Chen knows that. 'Google's decision to adopt Samsung Knox for Android'.. it's right there in BlackBerry's own wording.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	john-chen-knox-security.jpg 
Views:	1856 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	284106
    I think the more important questions are ...

1. Anyone recall that top female CIO from BB head of Enterprise that retired and suddenly earlier this year showed up at Samsung?! Is she too now leaving Samsung for Google?! If so then we SHOULD be VERY WARY!

2. How much push and resources is Google intend to and going to push this and how far back in terms of Android OS is going to be supported?! This will be a very KEY consideration as every few months the older an Android device gets the less it's likely to get a new OS but also the endless cheap to purchase cost it gets compared to even legacy BBOS devices.
    07-09-14 08:39 PM
    Never did like that name. Only applicable to the US.
    dentynefire likes this.
    07-09-14 08:40 PM
    Don't really care if it's not true. The huge amount of bad press about BlackBerry and shady commentary pales in comparison!!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    07-09-14 08:42 PM
    JC drops some knowledge!
    07-09-14 08:59 PM
    Wouldn't be cheaper for Samsung or Google simply to buy BlackBerry or buy a controlling share of blackberry for security patents, framework and contracts?

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 09:02 PM
78 123 ...