07-17-14 02:21 AM
161 1234 ...
tools
    Just as Samsung did, they could have used a device with better battery life.. like the Z30.
    While I agree the X30 has a better battery life. It says nothing of the Core Operating Systems ability to optimize battery life.

The X30's extended battery life over the X10 is due to 1. A bigger battery (extra weight) and 2. AMOLED display (substandard viewing experience compared to X10).

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 02:34 PM
    Well in BlackBerry's current state, taking it to iPhone is apparently not a priority. So Samsung( the enemy of our enemy) can just as well fight the battles for us and keep Apple reacting to them and not so focused on BlackBerry as they strengthen.
    mas_quemex likes this.
    07-03-14 02:39 PM
    John Chen should have patented "Wall hugger" .. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    That's what I said! It would have been a real winner
    07-03-14 02:54 PM
    If one expect a company to be able to afford to advertise roughly in proportion to their sales volume then I would expect to see Samsung ads about 20X more than Blackberry ads.

If one expects to see smartphones plugged into walls roughly proportional to the number of smartphones out there then I would expect to see about 20X more iPhones plugged into walls than Blackberries.
    07-03-14 03:06 PM
    Battery life and calling iPhone users wallhuggers is the same thing as making fun of them waiting in line. Different avenue, same concept. The end result is the emotion invoked by means of insulting iPhone users. People will remember the insult, the mention of battery life is just an additional bonus that will linger in minds as well. 'Remember that Samsung commercial? You know the one where the insulted iPhone users and battery life.. that ish was funny'
    It's not just the emotion, it's the logic. Just my guess, but a vast majority of iPhone users have been in the situations shown in the commercial. This Galaxy S5 commercial will force them to consider an alternative to looking for an outlet the next time their battery indicator reads 10%.

More to your original point, I think that Samsung is aiming to take what most people think and dramatize it in a commercial. Of course, this will lead to "copying". Samsung is focusing on things that actually occur in real life and showing how the Samsung products deal with real life occurrences better than the competition. The commercial at the graduation party was good because it showed things that happen often as well as things that happen less often, but are really aggravating when they do. I'm sure that getting a phone call while you have barbecue sauce all over your hands resonated with a lot of people.

Finally, the commercial may copy T-Mobile's (US) commercial for the JUMP! program more than anything else. I'm referring to the one where Bill Hader is trying to have a phone conversation but needs to walk back to his desk and is plugging his phone in at every outlet along the way.
    07-03-14 03:10 PM
    Meh. A guy with elephant legs and exploding rubber ducks says far more about a phone than this ad ever could. :/
    07-03-14 03:16 PM
    Meh. A guy with elephant legs and exploding rubber ducks says far more about a phone than this ad ever could. :/
    lol.

I'm still mad my Z10 never came with a rubber duckie.
    07-03-14 03:19 PM
    Blackberry marketing properly is a bigger dream to accomplish than the American dream.

But for some reason, I feel like they're waiting for something before going all out. (Cause they know we're used to waiting)

But I mean come on guys, if it wasn't for bb, I wouldn't be able to find a 3 hour wait at a clinic such an enjoyment.
    AbAll87 and grover5 like this.
    07-03-14 03:26 PM
    Could have, would have, should have should be BB's motto.
    07-03-14 03:34 PM
    Funny enough when all I see at times for iPhone users not a single person is not tied to that tether cable charging the device. Than as soon as the tether comes off they scramble to keep the life alive till they can tether again.

Wall hugger is the most accurate statement ever made, call a cousin of mine one and he refuses to accept it lol.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    07-03-14 03:57 PM

It wouldn't have even needed to be at a consumer level, it could even be worked into Enterprise material.

If you're only thinking about how BlackBerry could have worked this into a consumer commercial on TV, well that's shortsighted.
    And specially when most of the people that come out on the commercial are business people in an airport. Doesn't get any more enterprise than that.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 03:59 PM
    I just hope they keep having phones with removable batteries. Samsung apparently sees the value in this.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 04:02 PM
    S5 only has 2800 mah battery. Z30 beats it! Woot!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 04:02 PM
    Is there anything original Samsung can do? Oh and by the way I'm sure Chen can come up with more such terms..he is a natural

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 04:05 PM
    Well what is striking me with ads like this is the negative emotion it brings,
    so I don't complain that BlackBerry didn't push this button.

It looks to me like Samsung
    1. consider it can risk offending iphone users as it doesn't hope gaining them
    2. needs comforting its users for selecting a lesser brand (samsung vs iphone envy)

So it may be considered funny for a user with self-ridicule mindset, but I resent it more negatively in the end
    and as a non Samsung consumer, I don't feel more engaged towards the brand.

What I find funnier is something like this french humorist parody

from a 80s ad campain
    I'm no semiolog, but the later ad looks more to me like a brand trying to promote itself above the others (not against) and it's really showing positive benefit.

Samsung advertizement on the other end looks more like nurturing modern fanboism egotism,
    even though for the balance some benefit are mentioned (enjoy time with your colleagues at the airport seriously!).
    This reminds me these Lyrics from Sidilarsen:

Des consommateurs par millions,
    Chiens dociles,
    Bien dresss par les ondes,
    Si seuls et si semblables,
    Avec l'envie de mordre...

--
    spoludo.com
    07-03-14 04:17 PM
    Funny enough when all I see at times for iPhone users not a single person is not tied to that tether cable charging the device. Than as soon as the tether comes off they scramble to keep the life alive till they can tether again.

Wall hugger is the most accurate statement ever made, call a cousin of mine one and he refuses to accept it lol.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    LOL... you do notice the CEO hasn't used that term since though, right?
    07-03-14 04:20 PM
    Lol wall huggers. And we are hub/efficiency huggers

Via CB10 on Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.296
    07-03-14 04:28 PM
    Battery life is actually one of my complaints about the iphone. Nice device except for horrible battery life and the fact that my big thumbs don't do well typing on glass. I may get the iphone 6 for my wife to see it but as long as the battery life sucks I won't use one.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 04:54 PM
    S5 only has 2800 mah battery. Z30 beats it! Woot!

Posted via CB10
    Why? The size of the battery isn't the only thing impacting how long a phone last on a charge.
    21stNow and mornhavon like this.
    07-03-14 05:16 PM
    Still better than air gestures... and group play.... and plastic phones.
    07-03-14 05:19 PM
    I have a Samsung battery pack. I use it for my phone, tablet and iPod.
    That said, since I got the Q10, I don't need it much for my phone since I get a good 2 days on a single charge.
    07-03-14 05:26 PM
    It's just not BlackBerry's thing to insult other customers or companies in an ad. Yes, they recently have been fighting back but they never provoke. So I'm not surprised that BlackBerry didn't advertise this and I'm also not surprised that Samsung ripped them off.
    Wait, what?

"Tools not toys"
    "Amateur hour is over"
    07-03-14 05:29 PM
    If one expect a company to be able to afford to advertise roughly in proportion to their sales volume then I would expect to see Samsung ads about 20X more than Blackberry ads.

If one expects to see smartphones plugged into walls roughly proportional to the number of smartphones out there then I would expect to see about 20X more iPhones plugged into walls than Blackberries.
    ^^^This. Or, to paraphrase, every single Blackberry I have seen in public over the past 30 days has been plugged into a wall charger in an airport. All none of them. Maybe the Classic will appeal to enough of us dinosaurs in the business world still lamenting the things BB10 left behind and just maybe we will begin to sell devices again. Here's to hope.
    07-03-14 05:42 PM
    So... according to that ad, there's about 40 iPhone users for every Samsung user. Interesting attempt at 'taking it to the establishment', when in reality... they are the cheaply-made, carrier-issued establishment for the masses.
    07-03-14 06:05 PM
    sorry. couldn't resist.

however, my Z10 makes me feel like a wall hugger. just saying
    ^ LOVE IT!!!!!
    +10000

Funny this is NOTHING new with Samsung ... they've been doing this for YEARS!

Nokia 7650 (probably the worlds FIRST - SLIDER; and running S60)
    Nokia 7650 - Full phone specifications
    Samsung D720 (although admittedly much later 2002 vs 2005 and a LOT sexier)
    Samsung D720 - Full phone specifications

This is the beginning .. .you know when Samsung hardly made a buck on phones let alone smartphones.
    07-03-14 06:14 PM
161 1234 ...