01-21-15 07:20 PM
    Guess I am to the point of seeing is believing.... seems the firm Sammy hired seems to be the only one who has a rosy outlook on BB.... this alone makes it wonder about how accurate it is... also fibbing to the government is never a good idea as they have the approve it... unsure how happy the conservatives will be being lied to about a sale and then wanting the same said government to approve the sale....
    01-21-15 07:33 PM
    I think the call to the capital could have been a play in the chess match.

Based on the article Samsung was only looking at a potential offer and wasn't actually in talks with BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 07:39 PM
    I wonder how many other companies have had similar "reports" prepared on BlackBerry. This is a "step" that has to be taken initially...

What is strange is.... when it comes to BlackBerry the company or their products, nobody can keep a secret!
    01-22-15 08:14 AM
    guess time will tell
    01-22-15 10:10 AM
    A partner makes sense to me, connect everything Sammy makes that can be connected. End of story. But, if nothing happens between these two it could pull blackberry back down into gutter with the media attacks.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 10:49 AM
    I wonder: if they will buy 50+% of the shares, that will mean that they will infringe upon the OHA agreement?

There is the posibility that BlackBerry will still count as a separate mobile device maker. But if not, Samsung will have to choose between BB10 and Android (because OHA members are contractually forbidden from producing devices that are based off incompatible forks of Android). And I don't believe they can give up Android at this moment.

What do you think?
    01-22-15 10:59 AM
    A partner makes sense to me, connect everything Sammy makes that can be connected. End of story. But, if nothing happens between these two it could pull blackberry back down into gutter with the media attacks.

Posted via CB10
    You brought up something I hadn't thought about. Blackberry is pursuing the IOT as a cornerstone of the company. I hadn't thought about the amount of connected devices (non-mobile) samsung has. Blackberry wants to connect all aspects of our lives in the IOT. Samsung is already doing this with android. This partnership could really be interesting as I know samsung wants to get rid of android ( and hopefully not continue with Tizen OS)
    01-22-15 11:58 AM
    I to am skeptical of a Sammy buyout. There's just too much expected value placed in the future potential to make a deal financially sound. I think most shareholders would think a price of around $25 would make sense, but that would be at a substantial premium over today's price. Again, this is based largely on speculation of what the company WILL do and not what they have recently done.

I can't see any deal until Blackberry starts showing some "signs of life" from a market perspective, which is not readily apparent at this moment in time. However, next quarter should provide some indications of what all the recent actions and directives have yielded.

(I've never said THAT before....... )
    01-22-15 12:01 PM
    You brought up something I hadn't thought about. Blackberry is pursuing the IOT as a cornerstone of the company. I hadn't thought about the amount of connected devices (non-mobile) samsung has. Blackberry wants to connect all aspects of our lives in the IOT. Samsung is already doing this with android. This partnership could really be interesting as I know samsung wants to get rid of android ( and hopefully not continue with Tizen OS)
    Samsung IoT strategy is actually centered around Tizen. TVs-Tizen, watches -Tizen. Anything that needs a minimal OS but doesnt need apps will have Tizen. QNX could possibily replace this as a part of the BB-Samsung partnership. Phones will stay Android as Tizen phones are a flop.
    01-22-15 12:03 PM
    Press leaks as a negotiating tactic.
    01-22-15 12:32 PM
    Is the Tizen confirmed as a flob though? I just read that they released the first Tizen phone in India and it wasn't well received. I know Samsung wants to get away from its dependence on Android as their OS of choice.

Looks like 2 possible scenarios. Ether they start building around BB10, Windows and Android or they heavily commit to 1 OS which based on the rumor could be BB10. This doesn't seem right to me. I would think that they would focus on hardware sales of multiple OS's and use QNX for embedded systems, connected devices.

Samsung IoT strategy is actually centered around Tizen. TVs-Tizen, watches -Tizen. Anything that needs a minimal OS but doesnt need apps will have Tizen. QNX could possibily replace this as a part of the BB-Samsung partnership. Phones will stay Android as Tizen phones are a flop.
    01-22-15 01:03 PM
    Is the Tizen confirmed as a flob though? I just read that they released the first Tizen phone in India and it wasn't well received. I know Samsung wants to get away from its dependence on Android as their OS of choice.

Looks like 2 possible scenarios. Ether they start building around BB10, Windows and Android or they heavily commit to 1 OS which based on the rumor could be BB10. This doesn't seem right to me. I would think that they would focus on hardware sales of multiple OS's and use QNX for embedded systems, connected devices.
    Yes the Tizen phone strategy is to scoop a part of the low end $100 market. This is good for Samsung because the low margins on that sector won't be hurt by the license fees that Samsung has to pay MS for android related patents which come to over 1B a fiscal year at this point. But the India launch showed that Tizen even though a priced a bit lower than comparable Android handset, does not have appeal because it does not natively run Android apps. Samsung also has a mid-tier phone the Tizen Z but won't release it because it doesn't even have price working for it.

Much the same for WinPhone adoption but in this case Samsung has to compete with the low priced Nokia offerings which are very good.
    JoSanq likes this.
    01-22-15 01:11 PM

Tizen was used on sub $100 phones.... and was marketed to 1st time buyers - as they wouldn't know what they were missing from full Android. Don't know if it has done well or not, as it just went on sale.... but even 1st time buyers are going to do some shopping.

For Samsung to use BB10, they would have to give up on Android.... as Android has a 80% marketshare and BB10 has about .5% marketshare. It's not hard to see that BB10's days would be numbered at Samsung. BB10 is a great OS, but it has no support and thus is a terrible platform. As a partner with Google, Samsung knows that a runtime like BB10s is not a long term solution as Google's protection of the platform and of developers is going to kill off these Android wannabes.
    01-22-15 01:15 PM
    [QUOTE=Ment;11283525]Yes the Tizen phone strategy is to scoop a part of the low end $100 market. This is good for Samsung because the low margins on that sector won't be hurt by the license fees that Samsung has to pay MS for android related patents which come to over 1B a fiscal year at this point.

Any Idea how much per license for android?
    01-22-15 01:15 PM
    Any Idea how much per license for android?
    Its estimated at around $3.81 per with higher priced handsets/tablets paying more. Samsung makes over 200M mobile devices a year so it adds up quickly. The info came about because Samsung is sueing MS to revoke the agreement because they bought Nokia and are making MS phones and there is some language in the agreement about MS entering the phone manufacturing segment.

Edit: Here is an a detailed analysis of the lawsuit on FossPatents if you want to wade thru it.
    01-22-15 01:19 PM
    Great insight. Thanks.

Its estimated at around $3.81 per with higher priced handsets/tablets paying more. Samsung makes over 200M mobile devices a year so it adds up quickly. The info came about because Samsung is sueing MS to revoke the agreement because they bought Nokia and are making MS phones and there is some language in the agreement about MS entering the phone manufacturing segment.
    01-22-15 01:21 PM
    Samsung has extensive consumer experience. They must move forward and innovate. I'm not just talking about phones, but all their consumer products.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 02:14 PM
    Tizen was used on sub $100 phones.... and was marketed to 1st time buyers - as they wouldn't know what they were missing from full Android. Don't know if it has done well or not, as it just went on sale.... but even 1st time buyers are going to do some shopping.

For Samsung to use BB10, they would have to give up on Android.... as Android has a 80% marketshare and BB10 has about .5% marketshare. It's not hard to see that BB10's days would be numbered at Samsung. BB10 is a great OS, but it has no support and thus is a terrible platform. As a partner with Google, Samsung knows that a runtime like BB10s is not a long term solution as Google's protection of the platform and of developers is going to kill off these Android wannabes.
    IIRC Tizen is also used on Samsung's smartwatches. I'd like to get a Gear S to pair with my Note and generally just to see what Tizen is like. I know it's not as fully fleshed out as Android Wear devices. Plus I have a teeeeeny tiny wrist, and the 2 inch screen would take up the whole top of my wrist and then some!
    01-22-15 04:59 PM
    Tizen has been on the market since the start of this year in India. Not widespread release and no indication of its sales performance yet. Can't really call it a "flop" when it's just born.
    02-02-15 05:57 AM
    Tizen has been on the market since the start of this year in India. Not widespread release and no indication of its sales performance yet. Can't really call it a "flop" when it's just born.
    Lets call it DOA then. Its competing against a horde of $100 Android phones in India including Googles Android One program without the benefit of better specs or an application ecosystem.
    02-02-15 09:34 AM
    Lets call it DOA then. Its competing against a horde of $100 Android phones in India including Googles Android One program without the benefit of better specs or an application ecosystem.
    So is BlackBerry 10.

Samsung realizes to grow the Tizen ecosystem, phones are an essential part. They chose India for launch for its growth potential. Samsung can afford to lose money on Tizen for more than a few years before it gets its legs in mobile. Buying BlackBerry for BB10 and QNX would accelerate that somewhat (or licencing Tizen, or buying BB10 and its employees akin to webOS).

In the meantime, the developer community for Samsung's smart TVs and Gear smartwatches will grow.
    02-02-15 06:33 PM
    So is BlackBerry 10.

Samsung realizes to grow the Tizen ecosystem, phones are an essential part. They chose India for launch for its growth potential. Samsung can afford to lose money on Tizen for more than a few years before it gets its legs in mobile. Buying BlackBerry for BB10 and QNX would accelerate that somewhat.
    BB10 will always have the PKB niche however small that remains to be.

Tizen development will continue as long as Samsung has use for it in IoT but I wouldn't count on many production smartphone models coming out of it. They already decided to shelve the mid-tier model for now and I don't see Sammy putting huge marketing dollars on the Z1 or its iterations.

Tizen in India would have made sense in 2013/early 2014; now domestic manufacturers like MicroMax can produce phones at low price points that take away any advantage that Samsung has in vertical integration. Even the Moto E launch in the fall with FlipKart was at Rs 5500 ($90) .
    02-02-15 07:11 PM