Gartner Says Sales of Smartphones Grew 20 Percent in Third Quarter of 2014

Think we are reaching the Saturation Point with Smartphone sales... and it's hurting BlackBerry and the "others". It's even hurting Android to a degree.

Worldwide mobile phone sales to end users totaled 455.8 million units in the third quarter of 2014 and were flat compared to the same period in 2013 (see Table 3). Mobile phone sales were up in all regions except Latin America (down -7.4 percent), Western Europe (down - 13.5 percent) and Japan (down - 1.8 percent).
    "Samsung and Nokia experienced sharp double-digit declines in the third quarter, which let Apple get closer to Nokia, with only 5 million units separating these two vendors, said Ms. Cozza. The gap is also narrowing between the third and fourth positions, and the fourth quarter could be decisive for Huawei and LG.
    12-16-14 08:17 AM
    Also there are smartphone makers like Xioami which is making smartphones for little or no profit in an Amazon-style market-share grab. That puts a ton of price pressure in the low-end/undifferentiated market.
    12-16-14 08:28 AM
    Also there are smartphone makers like Xioami which is making smartphones for little or no profit in an Amazon-style market-share grab. That puts a ton of price pressure in the low-end/undifferentiated market.
    Yeah Xioami saw an increase of 336%....

Interestingly Motorola and HTC are not among the top Vendors. They have been pushed aside by these Chinese companies that were once know for "cheap" low cost entry level devices. Now they are making low cost premium devices and knocking out the more mainstream players... have even bit into Samsung's part of the smartphone pie.
    12-16-14 08:52 AM
    Xiamoi has a very interesting business model. They combine an aggressive social media campaign with aggressive pricing on lower mid range hardware. To keep extraneous costs down, they use an Android platform but not Google services. I also think they operate outside the OHA. Likewise they target developing countries where carriers are weaker and thus can be bypassed by Internet purchasing. They just blew by Apple and Samsung in China. Pretty clear Huwaei and Lenovo are going to copy this strategy as it appeals to the average Chinese buyer.

I have been critical of both Apple's and Samsung's approach in China. They really don't understand the market in a big kind of way.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 09:05 AM
    Gartner Says Sales of Smartphones Grew 20 Percent in Third Quarter of 2014

Think we are reaching the Saturation Point with Smartphone sales... and it's hurting BlackBerry and the "others". It's even hurting Android to a degree.
    BlackBerry isn't targeting the consumer.

By March of next year an additional 1 billion mobiles are expected to be online globally. BlackBerry is rightly going after the enterprise sector of that.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    12-16-14 09:23 AM
    BlackBerry isn't targeting the consumer.

By March of next year an additional 1 billion mobiles are expected to be online globally. BlackBerry is rightly going after the enterprise sector of that.

Z3 - targeted consumer device.
    BBM/Channels - targeted consumer product
    Passport - maybe it is meant as an executive device or a medical devices... but so far it has mainly been a BlackBerry Fan device.
    Classic - targeted at existing users - consumers or business - anyone that can't figure out what to do without a touchpad.

BlackBerry wold LOVE to be a consumer product... but if they say there is a niche where they can live without consumers, it sounds good.
    12-16-14 03:48 PM
    Passport - maybe it is meant as an executive device or a medical devices... but so far it has mainly been a BlackBerry Fan device.
    Classic - targeted at existing users - consumers or business - anyone that can't figure out what to do without a touchpad.

BlackBerry wold LOVE to be a consumer product... but if they say there is a niche where they can live without consumers, it sounds good.
    I see and agree with your point. In Asia, Middle East and Africa BlackBerry is seen very differently than in Eugene and North America. So they are astutely capitalizing on that. It will produce excellent dividends I believe. Those young people who start off with the Z3 will eventually upgrade as they progress.

12-17-14 04:04 AM
    Xiamoi has a very interesting business model. They combine an aggressive social media campaign with aggressive pricing on lower mid range hardware. To keep extraneous costs down, they use an Android platform but not Google services. I also think they operate outside the OHA. Likewise they target developing countries where carriers are weaker and thus can be bypassed by Internet purchasing.
    The Google Services part isn't really part of a "strategy". Google got itself banned from China so no Chinese smartphones have Google Service or Google Play. There is kind of a full featured OS void in China because of the Google situation so there is an opportunity for an alternative OS to take the place.

Whatever the full featured Chinese OS is, it can't build on top of Android, though. Acer tried that with Alibaba's Aliyun OS and Google responded by threatening to yank its OHA license.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 12-18-14 at 05:41 PM.
    12-18-14 05:20 PM
    Xiamoi has a very interesting business model. They combine an aggressive social media campaign with aggressive pricing on lower mid range hardware. To keep extraneous costs down, they use an Android platform but not Google services. I also think they operate outside the OHA. Likewise they target developing countries where carriers are weaker and thus can be bypassed by Internet purchasing. They just blew by Apple and Samsung in China. Pretty clear Huwaei and Lenovo are going to copy this strategy as it appeals to the average Chinese buyer.

I have been critical of both Apple's and Samsung's approach in China. They really don't understand the market in a big kind of way.

Posted via CB10
    Xiaomi started as an opensource Android developers with its own customized Android named MIUI, an IOS interface copy for the Android crowd. It was considered very advanced in a way that they customized even the radio portion of the initialization code. Later, they started to get funding to invest into designing and producing( again inspired by/copying Apple's design) handsets and started to sell products with MIUI OS.

I don't know how you can consider their stuff as lower mid range hardware since their hardware on release is almost always higher end and newer than BBRY hardware in the same period, unless of course you also consider BBRY's handset as lower mid range hardware with non-aggressive pricing.
    Apple is playing a totally different game in China. They're targeting the prestigious brand seeking customers that are willing to pay for the name recognition and the exclusiveness in China.
    Last edited by ccbs; 12-18-14 at 06:17 PM.
    12-18-14 06:02 PM
    Appears that Gartner was right and the BlackBerry did sell fewer devices this quarter... almost a 30% decrease in sales from the last quarter.

Think the Passport meant a lot for the bottom line, but wan't a drop in the bucket when it came to actual sales. I bet AT&T doesn't even bother with it...
    12-19-14 07:46 AM
    Appears that Gartner was right and the BlackBerry did sell fewer devices this quarter... almost a 30% decrease in sales from the last quarter.
    It's going to take a lot more than Passport and Classic to stem the tide of lower sales as legacy devices are phased out. I would be surprised if even 50 percent of those late upgraders went to Blackberry devices. Think of choices that consumers and enterprise users have now.
    12-19-14 08:03 AM

The Classic is targeted at the Customers BB actually has rather than the customers they wished they had.
    12-27-14 08:37 AM