10-09-13 09:45 AM
36 12
tools
    Not in the uk.
    Since 1st February I've seen no Z's in the wild, one Q10 and about 7 Q5's. Of all the BB10 devices and discounting phones supplied by employers, that's the one that's selling. My next door neighbour got one on contract from Carphone Warehouse on O2 for nothing up front and 17 per month. Bargain in my opinion. I live in the south east and as far as I can see and from talking to a mate who works at carphonewarehouse the sales of the Q5 are picking up since they reduced it.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    10-08-13 01:24 AM
    I don't really see how BBRY making any cheaper devices are going to help it.....
    ...BBRY is in the trouble it's in because the Z & Q10 are bested by "cheaper" Android and iphone devices.
    ...An iphone 4 can outperform a Z10 in what it's able to do not to mention a horde of droids.
    10-08-13 01:47 AM
    If it's a true low end smartphone it would have to be sold between $100-$200 outright.

$400 outright (Q5) is not low end.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-08-13 01:57 AM
    If past practices is indication, a new low end BlackBerry 10 device might very well be coming soon. Even with talks that BlackBerry isn't going to release low end phones to compete with Apple and Android, the proof is all there.

With the leaks of the Kopi devices showing up, one wonders if they'll ever be released.

But one other piece of proof is the FM radio app that was found in the latest 10.2.1 leak.
    BlackBerry has never put FM radio on the mid or high end devices, as much as I would have like that I guess in developed countries, the demand would be low, so why pay extra to have the FM hardware in the phone.
    The curve is the only ones that had this, and these were targeted to low end users and the developing countries.
    Therefore, another low end device with FM radio, is very well in the pipeline at the moment.

But wait, BlackBerry just released a statement that they will not be trying to compete with Apple and Android. Instead they will be focusing in enterprise and consumers. Yes, this makes sense as well because enterprises don't want expensive phones for their workers. I've got the BlackBerry Curve from work. It's about the greatest benefit with the lowest cost.

Either way, we'll have to see if it materializes this year or not. They're line of phones is actually getting kind of cluttered. Q5, Q10, Z10. Z30. This is all getting a bit confusing......

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, but you reach your conclusion using the wrong arguments.

1. There is no extra cost endured by adding the FM radio functionality because the Wifi chips or the SoC include everything BB needs
    2. BB is adding support for hearing aids via audio routing and closed captions. The FM radio component is needed for that and I'm sure it will make some Z30 owners happy, no just the ones who can't afford anything better than a Curve.
    3. We've seen leaked pictures before of devices which were never released. Things do change, especially when looking for strategic alternatives.

So yes, the Z6/Q6 were supposed to be cheap devices with an FM radio, la Curve and yes, those are sure to please the CIOs of enterprises looking for cheap COPE phones, but as Pocket-Lint has mentioned, BB has decided to put these projects on hold. I sincerely hope they get cancelled so that early next year we can have the Q10 and Z30 as low end devices and look forward to the Z50 and Q50.

(Model numbers are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of BlackBerry )
    khehl likes this.
    10-08-13 03:02 PM
    Here's something to think about. With all the Z10 stock on hand, they could easily upgrade the OS to 10.2, repackage, show some new features it would then have like FM radio and hopefully BBM would be xPlatform by then and offer these at a super low cost. Basically a newer, improved, updated Z10 for almost nothing. But the key would be that these devices would no longer be sitting on warehouse shelves.

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    10-09-13 05:18 AM
    An iphone 4 can outperform a Z10 in what it's able to do not to mention a horde of droids.
    Lol no

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 07:20 AM
    i don't really see how bbry making any cheaper devices are going to help it.....
    ...bbry is in the trouble it's in because the z & q10 are bested by "cheaper" android and iphone devices.
    ...an iphone 4 can outperform a z10 in what it's able to do not to mention a horde of droids.
    rotfl

z10stl100-2/10.1.0.4780 o2 uk
    10-09-13 08:26 AM
    Sorry, but you reach your conclusion using the wrong arguments.

[LIST=1][*]There is no extra cost endured by adding the FM radio functionality because the Wifi chips or the SoC include everything BB needs[*]BB is adding support for hearing aids via audio routing and closed captions. The FM radio component is needed for that and I'm sure it will make some Z30 owners happy, no just the ones who can't afford anything better than a Curve.
    You are partially correct. Looks like the newest OS leak of 10.2.1 will have FM radio support which is currently working on the Q10. It will presumably not work in the Z10 as it has an older chip with no FM support.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 08:44 AM
    You are partially correct. Looks like the newest OS leak of 10.2.1 will have FM radio support which is currently working on the Q10. It will presumably not work in the Z10 as it has an older chip with no FM support.

Posted via CB10
    Why do i read that the z10 has no fm support because of some older chip? The z10 has fm radio, but bb just didn't wire the damn thing up.
    10-09-13 08:48 AM
    Here's something to think about. With all the Z10 stock on hand, they could easily upgrade the OS to 10.2, repackage, show some new features it would then have like FM radio and hopefully BBM would be xPlatform by then and offer these at a super low cost. Basically a newer, improved, updated Z10 for almost nothing. But the key would be that these devices would no longer be sitting on warehouse shelves.

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    I like this idea. BlackBerry should do an IPHONE 5c version. Haha

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 09:25 AM
    I still think that the Q5 is not cheap enough. I'm totally for a bb10 replacement for the curve series.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 09:45 AM
36 12