10-09-13 09:45 AM
36 12
tools
    If past practices is indication, a new low end BlackBerry 10 device might very well be coming soon. Even with talks that BlackBerry isn't going to release low end phones to compete with Apple and Android, the proof is all there.

With the leaks of the Kopi devices showing up, one wonders if they'll ever be released.

But one other piece of proof is the FM radio app that was found in the latest 10.2.1 leak.
    BlackBerry has never put FM radio on the mid or high end devices, as much as I would have like that I guess in developed countries, the demand would be low, so why pay extra to have the FM hardware in the phone.
    The curve is the only ones that had this, and these were targeted to low end users and the developing countries.
    Therefore, another low end device with FM radio, is very well in the pipeline at the moment.

But wait, BlackBerry just released a statement that they will not be trying to compete with Apple and Android. Instead they will be focusing in enterprise and consumers. Yes, this makes sense as well because enterprises don't want expensive phones for their workers. I've got the BlackBerry Curve from work. It's about the greatest benefit with the lowest cost.

Either way, we'll have to see if it materializes this year or not. They're line of phones is actually getting kind of cluttered. Q5, Q10, Z10. Z30. This is all getting a bit confusing......

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 08:17 AM
    Just as I thought that the Q5 was a lower end phone akin to the curve...4 phone releases a year would make sense. 2 high end and 2 lower end phones should suffice.
    Rllli and Deanig_12 like this.
    10-04-13 08:28 AM
    The Z10 has been discussed as its now a low tier device with the Q5. So that means the Q10 and the Z30 are the upper tier devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 10:01 AM
    OK guys I can confirm this: they are still working on those two leaked phones. That was as of yesterday when I talked to an employee. However, I suspect it will be scrapped when these deals go through. It doesn't jive with the four device strategy.
    Uzi and SK122387 like this.
    10-04-13 11:01 AM
    OK guys I can confirm this: they are still working on those two leaked phones. That was as of yesterday when I talked to an employee. However, I suspect it will be scrapped when these deals go through. It doesn't jive with the four device strategy.
    Maybe it will be a replacement for the Q5? That device has had no traction.

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    10-04-13 11:42 AM

well one of the leaked devices is a Z10 sized touch screen. It wouldn't make sense to replace the Z10 as they have so much stock sitting around. Really don't understand why they are still working on the devices.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    10-04-13 11:45 AM
    I am also not sure why they're working on a new entry level device if they still have, like they obviously state themselves, have so many Z10 laying around. Around here the Z10 is cheaper than the Q5, it happened back in August and the Z10 prices are still falling. Today you can save up to 50 EUR if you go for a Z instead of the "emerging markets" Q. Thats quite a lot if you ask me. So they really should get this Z10 re-tiering going, it would make sense:
    Q10 as the premium QWERTY, Q5 as the more affordable one.
    Z30 as the premium full-touch device, Z10 the overall entry-level BB10 device.

I mean it would make sense to actually work on some sort of Z10 (entry-level) successor, but not really on a new, third full-touch device.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    10-04-13 11:53 AM
    Kopi I think was a device meant to be offered in markets where LTE is still a long way off.

Might be a device to have in the lineup in some markets, but the problem is in those markets a $450 non-BIS smartphone is still very expensive and can't compete with either BBOS devices with BIS and special data plans or with other manufacturers that are selling $100 and $200 devices. So while it might be cheaper in components, because of the scale of production... not sure there would be any advantages for BB in making it vs the Q5.

At this point if BB hasn't made a commitment to manufacture a device, you aren't going to see it until after some restructuring. JMHO
    10-04-13 11:55 AM
    You would have thought a cheaper bb10 device aimed at emerging markets would have been the first new bb10 device to launch.

You know, to slow the decreases in market share in areas where BB still has some relevance.

I guess that makes too much sense...
    10-04-13 12:00 PM
    With the news going around right now nobody gives a **** what they release.

They could release something truly groundbreaking. Like a 4k wrap around solar panel LED screen with a new chemical based battery. Give it for cost, and still only crackberry would get excited

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-05-13 01:29 PM
    Even if the rumour is true, it will make no difference IMO.

BB's definition of "cheap" is, like their definition of "soon", rather different than most dictionary definitions.

Any cheap BB phone, presumably aimed to compete against the Nokia 520 and low-end Androids will undoubtedly be priced well outside of any popular definition of budget.

You only have to look at the pricing of the Q5 and the Z30 (admittedly at the other end of the scale) to realise that BB simply doesn't "get" pricing.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-05-13 02:00 PM
    You can't really go much lower than the Z10. Anything less and it's DOA.

Just hurry up and put all your resources into the slider BlackBerry. That right there is sales.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 10:32 AM
    You can't really go much lower than the Z10. Anything less and it's DOA.

Just hurry up and put all your resources into the slider BlackBerry. That right there is sales.

Posted via CB10
    Not really. You can strip out NFC and run a lower res screen all for money savings. Design the plastic outside and you got yourself a whole new phone. Market it dirt cheap.
    10-06-13 11:05 AM
    Not really. You can strip out NFC and run a lower res screen all for money savings. Design the plastic outside and you got yourself a whole new phone. Market it dirt cheap.
    Lower res screen would mean fragmenting the apps again with another resolution. The current screen size of the Z10 is basement for all touch IMHO. They simply need to make less per device to get people on board and work towards eventually getting the brand out of the toilet and then look to push the ASP higher over time.

Posted via CB10
    SubCamp likes this.
    10-06-13 02:23 PM
    Lower res screen would mean fragmenting the apps again with another resolution. The current screen size of the Z10 is basement for all touch IMHO. They simply need to make less per device to get people on board and work towards eventually getting the brand out of the toilet and then look to push the ASP higher over time.

Posted via CB10
    You can go lower res screen like the z30 and no need for extra fragmentation. The z10 res is one of the highest on the market, expensive to make and somewhat useless.

In fact, im pretty sure blackberry will do this for future touchscreens.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 04:12 PM
    You can go lower res screen like the z30 and no need for extra fragmentation. The z10 res is one of the highest on the market, expensive to make and somewhat useless.

In fact, im pretty sure blackberry will do this for future touchscreens.

Posted via CB10
    You are confusing resolution and Pixel density. Resolution is the pixel width by height, pixel density is the number of pixels in a square unit of measure (usually measured in inches). They currently support 1280x720 (Z30), 1280x768 (Z10), and 720x720 with BB10 and don't want to support other resolutions at this time, and after the Z10 they plan to drop the Z10 resolution from the lineup.

Posted via CB10
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    10-06-13 06:36 PM

Q5 has no traction i know loads of peopel thats picked the Q5 up including my self today!
    10-06-13 06:44 PM
    You are confusing resolution and Pixel density. Resolution is the pixel width by height, pixel density is the number of pixels in a square unit of measure (usually measured in inches). They currently support 1280x720 (Z30), 1280x768 (Z10), and 720x720 with BB10 and don't want to support other resolutions at this time, and after the Z10 they plan to drop the Z10 resolution from the lineup.

Posted via CB10
    What I meant is highest ppi, not resolution. I misstyped.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 06:52 PM
    They said 4 devices a year. So meaning next year. Z30 is the last 2013 device.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 12:34 AM
    They said 4 devices a year. So meaning next year. Z30 is the last 2013 device.

Posted via CB10
    Wow just wow lol
    10-07-13 12:38 AM
    Wow just wow lol
    Ok?

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    10-07-13 12:54 AM

Has over here.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    10-07-13 04:49 PM
    I'm still definitely planning my vacation to the moon...

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 05:05 PM
    I'm still definitely planning my vacation to the moon...

Posted via CB10
    I hear it's nice year round.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 06:35 PM
    Has over here.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    Not in the uk.
    10-07-13 07:11 PM
36 12