12-03-14 08:58 AM
239 ... 78910
tools
    I also agree on some of your points. As far as would I blame best buy if Sony TV wasn't selling well.....if the TVs were locked up in the back, no display model, and when I asked for one, I was heavily encouraged to buy another brand....then yes I may be enclined to put some of the blame on best buy for that.
    No, I'm afraid it's still BB's fault. They should KNOW by now how to work with carriers. They have to "buy" shelf space, whether it's literal advertising in the store, or merely working with the carriers at the ground level to make sure they are sufficiently represented at retail. BB is coming from wayyyy behind now. They can't just toss a couple ads at the TV and ignore what is needed in the trenches.

If they have to pay to have their own employees standing in Best Buys around the country to sell phones then that's what they need to do.
    07-24-13 12:24 AM
    No, I'm afraid it's still BB's fault. They should KNOW by now how to work with carriers. They have to "buy" shelf space, whether it's literal advertising in the store, or merely working with the carriers at the ground level to make sure they are sufficiently represented at retail. BB is coming from wayyyy behind now. They can't just toss a couple ads at the TV and ignore what is needed in the trenches.

If they have to pay to have their own employees standing in Best Buys around the country to sell phones then that's what they need to do.
    They've actually bought a very nice display area at Best Buy. Best I've seen. If ATT and Verizon don't want to sell BlackBerry space, BlackBerry can't make them. And with the risk of the amount of money they could potentially have to pay apple if they don't sell their contracted minimums, I can't say I blame the carriers, for any reason other than signing those contracts in the first place.

I'm a retailer, and shelf space is bought all the time, in today's environment just about every end cap in every store is purchased and planogrammed from the corporate level, but also every day, these deals are also denied by stores. If it's an end cap that isn't going to make us any money, we're not going to take the buy in, looking at it from their standpoint, they need to fulfill their contract obligations first and foremost. Losing money is way worse than not making money.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 01:26 AM
    ^this. All the buying of ads and shelf space will not matter when it comes to the difference between pushing blackberry or owing Apple billions of dollars....the US carriers have made their choice and from the stories I read on here, they aren't even trying to pretend they care about blackberry.

Posted via Z10
    07-24-13 01:36 AM
    ^this. All the buying of ads and shelf space will not matter when it comes to the difference between pushing blackberry or owing Apple billions of dollars....the US carriers have made their choice and from the stories I read on here, they aren't even trying to pretend they care about blackberry.
    I'm sure they do, for BES.
    07-24-13 01:43 AM
    They've actually bought a very nice display area at Best Buy. Best I've seen.
    Which obviously isn't everywhere - as I've not seen them at the local store, no promotion at all.

If ATT and Verizon don't want to sell BlackBerry space, BlackBerry can't make them. And with the risk of the amount of money they could potentially have to pay apple if they don't sell their contracted minimums, I can't say I blame the carriers, for any reason other than signing those contracts in the first place.
    Which explains why Android phones don't sell... oh wait.

I really have a hard time believing this considering that when a company actually promotes well they can succeed here (see Samsung and before it HTC...). BB's bungling of dealing with advertising, carriers and retail reminds me of the fumbling done by Palm during their death spiral. Another great OS not given what it needs for success.

BB doesn't have it's advertising act together, isn't sufficiently dealing with carriers, and is struggling to get compelling, appealing product to market... yes sounds like Palm all over again - which is nuts because BB should have a lot more money than Palm did.
    07-24-13 01:49 AM
    if the phone is sold for a $1 or a $100 will not make a difference at this point. The roll out of this phone has been an unmitigated disaster and the apps or total lack thereof has been very disappointing.

My devotion to BB has been well documented on this site...to the point of me being called a troll and many other things......I am one comment away from being totally banned because I have backed this phone and BB to the point of nausea for some of you. I got the Q10 the first day it was available from Verizon. I am trying to figure out a way to get rid of it and get something else. It is extremely sad.
    It is clear to me that BB will be sold off to another company in the near future but either way, I'm out.
    T_K_H?!

You've got the Q10. That's the phone I actually am interested in test driving. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Man. I havta say I'm a little shocked and saddened. For BBRY to lose THIS guy....well,.....it's just no good.
    07-24-13 02:06 AM
    Considering that in the US, the carrier is who you go to in order to get your device, and the carriers are at best making a half baked effort, at worst actively telling customers NOT to buy the device, yes people are going to blame the carrier.

Has BlackBerry screwed the pooch on marketing? Absolutely. Have US carriers sabotaged sales of the device by shoving it to a back corner of the stores, telling customers not to buy it and purposely lagging months behind the rest of the planet when it comes to pushing out updates that actually fix things like the rebooting problem? Absolutely.

Posted via CB10
    I also agree on some of your points. As far as would I blame best buy if Sony TV wasn't selling well.....if the TVs were locked up in the back, no display model, and when I asked for one, I was heavily encouraged to buy another brand....then yes I may be enclined to put some of the blame on best buy for that.

Posted via Z10
    Another explanation for the "encouragement" toward other brands is because of high return rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-24-13 03:49 AM
    To the people responding to my point about botched email still being present and that problem not actually existing. No, it still exists, I and everyone else not on BES can still only access 30 days of email. Try running a small business with that level of inflexibility. I'm carrying around an android phone to this day after owning the z10 since launch day in the USA just because I need access to older emails, and if you tell me to just use the browser, don't bother responding.
    JeepBB, h20work and Moonbase0ne like this.
    07-24-13 04:32 AM
    Shouldn't they do the same with the iphone 5 and Galaxy 3 then?
    It's all about shelf room when you're in retail. BlackBerry has a small market share so they command a much smaller shelf room that iPhone or Samsung. So they are willing to carry much more iPhone models or Samsung models than BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 07:03 AM
    If that is true then AT&T have nobody to blame but themselves for the dismal sales. They've put zero effort into marketing the device and staff training/awareness is pretty much non-existent. None of the US carriers have made as much effort as they could have, but AT&T must rank as the worst. With all the "issues" pre-release regarding carrier testing, it's almost as they flagged it to fail before it hit the market.
    Carriers are in the business of pushing devices that sell and make money for the carrier - it's really no more nefarious than that, despite some of the conspiracy theories we see peddled here on CB.

It's not like some carrier suit says, "Our focused efforts have spelled the end for the Z10, and soon they will soon spell the end of BlackBerry! Then all of our evil schemes will be achieved."

Fade out with evil laughter.
    notfanboy and JeepBB like this.
    07-24-13 08:10 AM
    It is always easier to make excuses, blame others and look for the non existent conspiracy than to face up to the awful, horrible truth that BlackBerry can't compete.

If AT&T actually thought they could sell BB10 devices and steal customers from Verizon then they would market it.

Local Best Buy had a nice display. No one bothers to look at it. I went in looking for any Q10 accessories. Good chance on that one. No, the blame and responsibility is with BlackBerry. If they can't compete they have to look elsewhere. Like a sale of the company.
    jegs2, JeepBB and h20work like this.
    07-24-13 08:19 AM
    Another explanation for the "encouragement" toward other brands is because of high return rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Source and rates please?

Posted via Z10
    07-24-13 08:20 AM
    I'm carrying around an android phone to this day after owning the z10 since launch day in the USA just because I need access to older emails
    Hearing stuff like that is enough to make my blood boil. BlackBerry's claim to fame was email performance. Nobody could touch them. Now business owners have to carry around a rival device to ensure their needs are met. Totally unacceptable.
    h20work likes this.
    07-24-13 09:22 AM
    They fixed the issue of not being able to read past 30 day emails in last patch. Maybe his carrier hasn't pushed out the update
    07-24-13 12:16 PM
    They've actually bought a very nice display area at Best Buy. Best I've seen. If ATT and Verizon don't want to sell BlackBerry space, BlackBerry can't make them. And with the risk of the amount of money they could potentially have to pay apple if they don't sell their contracted minimums, I can't say I blame the carriers, for any reason other than signing those contracts in the first place.

I'm a retailer, and shelf space is bought all the time, in today's environment just about every end cap in every store is purchased and planogrammed from the corporate level, but also every day, these deals are also denied by stores. If it's an end cap that isn't going to make us any money, we're not going to take the buy in, looking at it from their standpoint, they need to fulfill their contract obligations first and foremost. Losing money is way worse than not making money.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, I did many years in retail management.... you have the factors you mentioned, combined with the factors someone else had mentioned, lack of a motivated sales force. Most of the people I used to work with weren't motivated to sell and get their staff to sell, they were motivated to make excuses because it takes less effort. Most people in retail sales aren't motivated to go above and beyond.
    bradu1 likes this.
    07-24-13 01:22 PM
    Im from NJ and what on the app store did I miss? Apps are all about convenience and moving people forward in a tech world......my daughter has a fruit 4S (not 4G capable) and downloaded the Dominos app while I was traveling 80 mph down 295 north, ordered the pizza online and we picked up at the store 20 minutes later.....AHHH, that app is no where on BB...my bank is not supporting BB with an app and it is the 5th largest homeowner insurer in the US, 6th largest auto insurer in the nation and in the top 10 in 3 other areas.....I was in Orlando last week at Disney and there was an app for the park so you knew what rides were packed and which were not....do you think that App was available on BB......do I need to go on about this app situation????? Everyone here knows what I am talking about....

I am interested in moving a white Q10 and 9930....anyone can pm me.

the kid hartford
    h20work likes this.
    07-25-13 07:59 PM
    the sarcasm is duly noted......I've always been honest about my feelings toward BB and my last post is no different.
    07-25-13 08:02 PM
    It's all about shelf room when you're in retail. BlackBerry has a small market share so they command a much smaller shelf room that iPhone or Samsung. So they are willing to carry much more iPhone models or Samsung models than BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    If you remember I was replying to the price drop on the Z "to make room for the a10". Seems premature at this point since the phone doesn't officially exist
    07-25-13 08:35 PM
    I was in Orlando last week at Disney and there was an app for the park so you knew what rides were packed and which were not....do you think that App was available on BB......do I need to go on about this app situation????? Everyone here knows what I am talking about....
    Alec Saunders was on here not long ago commenting on how the big apps like Instagram actually lose their appeal quickly after they're installed.

Your example is precisely why we need the big apps on BB10 - People buy iPhones because they have the big apps. Whether or not interest in those apps tapers off quickly is irrelevant as the customer has already bought the product. If they lose interest in those apps, they'll still be using the iPhone for the remaining couple of years on their contract when they could have had a BlackBerry instead.

I'm sure Disney looked at BB10 and said "If the big guys aren't supporting it, why should we?"
    07-26-13 12:11 AM
    Alec Saunders was on here not long ago commenting on how the big apps like Instagram actually lose their appeal quickly after they're installed.
    That's a really weak statement from Saunders. Not too promising.
    ssbtech and Moonbase0ne like this.
    07-26-13 02:39 AM
    Sounds like a cop out excuse. Even if that were true, it seems like people are buying their phones because of apps, and I personally don't think a lot of people will settle for alternative apps or side loading.

So, even if studies show that most people will download an app, use it for a week, and move on, I think, that people want to know that when they hear about an app from a friend or in an ad, that they will be able to go to their app store, and it will be there.

Reminds me of when Thorsten Heins said tablets will be dead in five years. I think he only said that because he doesn't believe that BB can make a tablet that can compete/be profitable NOW.
    07-26-13 08:00 AM
    Sounds like a cop out excuse. Even if that were true, it seems like people are buying their phones because of apps, and I personally don't think a lot of people will settle for alternative apps or side loading.

So, even if studies show that most people will download an app, use it for a week, and move on, I think, that people want to know that when they hear about an app from a friend or in an ad, that they will be able to go to their app store, and it will be there.

Reminds me of when Thorsten Heins said tablets will be dead in five years. I think he only said that because he doesn't believe that BB can make a tablet that can compete/be profitable NOW.
    Less of a cop out and more of another fanboyish excuse along the lines of "i dont use instagram so its not important and/or who needs netflix"
    He says that because they're not available but the minute it shows up you better believe we'll see a tweet about something "mind blowing "

For the record i dont use either of those apps and have no desire for them but they are needed for the platform especially when you're trying to get the number three spot.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 09:25 AM
    it's officially confirmed now. AT&T has discontinued the Z10
    11-18-14 05:00 PM
    Yup passport is better. People can always buy the passport
    11-18-14 05:07 PM
    It's almost two years old. That's a normal run for a device.

Posted via CB10
    alternator77 likes this.
    11-19-14 11:25 AM
239 ... 78910