12-03-14 08:58 AM
239 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I think if the carriers had folks that were inclined to sell the Z10s there would be a lot more sales. I really enjoy my phone and learn something new about it all the time. My better half is eyeing a BlackBerry 10 because of all the little things it does different and well and she comes from the Android Galaxy.

I actually spoke to the district manager for the Verizon stores in Utah and he said there were 5 BlackBerry devices that he knew of coming between now and Spring of next year. All with improved battery life and improved hardware overall. He sounded excited about them. We'll see.

Go BlackBerry.
    BB10QNX and Korepab like this.
    07-20-13 09:58 PM
    End of Line

(ie, Discontinued)
    You have the concept right but it is actually End of Life
    m0de25 likes this.
    07-20-13 10:04 PM
    How does that disprove the article? If anything it lends credibility to it that Verizon is pushing iPhone more than anything else.

Posted via Z10
    Plus the fact that it is known that Verizon and ATT have to buy a certain amount of phones from apple in order to sell the iPhone. If they don't sell then than they are stuck with them. We have already heard about this contract here at crackberry. This is not something Forbes has made up. Now, if you had to buy X amount of phones, and you don't sell them, what does that mean. Overly simplified business, you spent money and are not recouping it. Now add penalties on top of it. Of course the carriers will push iPhone. And there's story over story on here about us Americans having to fight to buy our BB's. Forbes isn't making that up.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 10:19 PM
    The network is their bread and butter. Why would they NOT check things that are going to be running on it? You can't just drive ANY vehicle down the freeway, gotta be approved so that it doesn't cause problems for others.
    your right but how is it that the leaks work fine on the z10 without any issues yet Verizon cant seem to get one out the door. Something is wrong here and its not the phone or the updates. Its Verizon. I know this for a fact simply because I have called and complained about the delay of the update. Went all the way to tier three and the guy said something was wrong with the update but couldn't tell me what was wrong. Only that there was something wrong with it. I have a leak installed on my z10 now and must say that any leak that comes out works better than the one Verizon supposedly said didn't work.
    BB10QNX likes this.
    07-20-13 10:19 PM
    If that is true then AT&T have nobody to blame but themselves for the dismal sales. They've put zero effort into marketing the device and staff training/awareness is pretty much non-existent. None of the US carriers have made as much effort as they could have, but AT&T must rank as the worst. With all the "issues" pre-release regarding carrier testing, it's almost as they flagged it to fail before it hit the market.
    By now, I think it's obvious, AT&T doesn't give a ish about the Z10 or anything else BlackBerry. So, while they were not pushing BlackBerry......minimal at best, they never stopped pushing(hard) what was already selling. So, I doubt heads are rolling due to lack of sales. It's business as usual.
    07-20-13 10:23 PM
    Sorry but the blame falls on Blackberry for releasing a sub-par product full of bugs and no ecosystem. The Z10 does not bring anything new and does not do anything better that other smartphones released 2 years ago. It was an old product at launch and smartphone users were not fooled by Blackberry claims that is better than other platforms. It has not sold well anywhere not only in the US.
    I disagree with you on this buddy. First off, there is a ecosystem . I'm getting all my movies, music and apps from the blackberry store. As far as subpar, your wrong again. coming from android and Iphone before that I know that the Blackberry OS is an amazing OS. Android is way to sluggish and iphone cant do what a blackberry can do with emails. Even the BB7 OS managed emails better with a sense of business than the Iphone. Blackberry is failing in the US not because its subpar, its because people don't care to know about blackberry. All they care about is android and Iphone, android and Iphone, android and Iphone. Blackberry has a better flow and the OS just works. It sells better in other countries because other countries are not ignorant like some of the people I have seen here in the US. This ignorance is why the US in general is falling behind in everything that they have been doing. I hope Blackberry BBM comes out soon to all platforms just to show that BBM alone will dominate, imagine what the rest of Blackberry will work like. I'LL SAY IT LIKE THIS. BLACKBERRY HAS THE BEST O.S. OUT TO DATE. BETTER THAN ANDROID, BETTER THAN IPHONE, AND BETTER THAN WINDOWS. If you disagree, prove it. show me what the other phones can do that blackberry cant? I know what blackberry can do that the others cant right now and that is flash, peak and flow, the hub, The smoothness of the OS. All they need is apps and if devs make those apps then we shall see where the other subpar brands lie.
    07-20-13 10:25 PM
    its quite Obvious that the carriers here in the US aren't gonna help blackberry. They could care less. its up to us, the consumers to start showing everyone why blackberry is better. So far I have converted 5 people to blackberry and they are very happy. We need to show why its better and why Verizon, and ATT sales reps are full of it. If we all showed our phone to 5 people a week, I'm sure we people will start changing their minds and may want to purchase blackberry.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-22-13 at 01:32 AM.
    bigbbrybeliever likes this.
    07-20-13 10:35 PM
    To do well in the US you need carrier support which was evident that BB did not have with the horrible launches for both devices and the lack of proper training of sales staff. Nokia is the same as this last quarter as only half a million devices that they sold came from the US.
    07-20-13 10:37 PM
    Sorry but the blame falls on Blackberry for releasing a sub-par product full of bugs and no ecosystem. The Z10 does not bring anything new and does not do anything better that other smartphones released 2 years ago. It was an old product at launch and smartphone users were not fooled by Blackberry claims that is better than other platforms. It has not sold well anywhere not only in the US.
    You have obviously never used a BlackBerry 10 phone. It does many things differently and better than the competition. I have friends that used to use iPhone 5's and after using a Z10 for a few weeks have no desire to go back. If the Z10 was just like the iPhone and offered no advantages that would not be the case.

It sounds to me like BlackBerry needs to improve marketing, sales staff training and get some sick incentives going. BlackBerry needs to get the phones into sales reps hands so they can use it and see how it's better.

I work for one of the big 3 carriers in Canada and I have co-workers that won't recommend the BlackBerry 10 phones because they don't know it. They don't know the features it offers, the benefits it has and just think Android and iPhone is better because of apps. It frustrates the hell out of me but besides busting in during a sale and taking over there's nothing I can do about it. People have habits and are usually going to embrace what they know, this applies to sales reps as well.

I'll always recommend a Z10 or Q10 over other devices but I'll also qualify them and the iPhone or Android may be best for them. What I will never do is make that decision for the customer and bash a phone. All these reps that say don't get the Z10 or the Q10 and rant and rave about the iPhone's and Android devices are highly unprofessional. First off you have a customer saying what they want, all they have to do is ask for ID and start the transaction.

Now from personal experience I have had co-workers have awful experiences with BB10 devices so they are leery selling them again, but I've sold many and have little to no backlash from customers. In Canada the providers have been pretty good bringing updates out in a timely fashion and any of the issues people may have had on the older versions of the OS have all been fixed.

I honestly hope the Z10 isn't discontinued because with updated software it's a great device. I've also seen pictures of the back to an A10 with AT&T logos so maybe they are going to drop the Z10 and only carry the A10 to compete with the S4 and iPhone 5S.

At the end of the day BlackBerry, AT&T and the sales staff need to get it together and put the customers first not their preconceived biases.
    07-20-13 10:49 PM
    Ok, the thread has had a lot of off topic posts and general bickering removed. Lets see if we can continue back on topic.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-21-13 at 11:28 AM.
    russworman likes this.
    07-20-13 11:49 PM
    If AT&T needs a lesson in how to market a BlackBerry then they need not look any further than Rogers in Canada who went nuts with the Z10 and Q10 and they're probably outselling AT&T quite handily in a country with 1/10th the population as a result. I know it's fashionable to blame BlackBerry for all their current ills but all you've got to do is look at Canada and the UK, amongst others, to understand how important carrier support is to the success of a device, BlackBerry can only do so much if the carrier is too lazy to get off their **** and do something.
    That was at first, but enthusiasm has dropped off quickly. At the respective launches the folks ay my Rogers store were positive about the BB10's. But I recently when in to swap SIM cards to upgrade my corporate Bold to a Z10, the Rogers guy said BB10 is '****' and now that BBM is going cross-platform he would never recommend anyone get an actual BlackBerry.

Now, that's a lousy sales person. On many fronts. You never ever bash what's in your bag. You can be more positive about one than another, but if you want to be tops in sales, you never discourage a sale. Jesus.

Plenty of blame to go around for the Z10 failure. It needed 10.1 before it was fully ready for the US market, and that didn't happen. That's on BB.

The carriers did zero to promote sales of the device, that's on them.

But the marketing campaign has been sad; pervasive but sad. The "Keep Moving" campaign is lame. The theme is lame. The execution with stupid meant to be funny clips of Bollywood and some jackass in a pool using smartphone were lame. That's on BB.

The devices were over-priced. While it may have preserved higher margins which was better for the corporate balance sheet, it did so at the expense of unit sales. Unfortunately, though Thorsten doesn't like it, that is ultimately what both Wall Street, and consumers place value on. People don't want to buy the small dying out product. They want the headed for huge numbers product. They want the "next big thing" and that means volume. The Z10 should have been $50 or $0 from the start. Let the Aristo be the high-margin winner. That's on BlackBerry.

What BlackBerry has right now is a marketing problem. The devices are good, but no one cares.
    sunsetblow likes this.
    07-21-13 11:38 AM
    The Z10 should have been $50 or $0 from the start. Let the Aristo be the high-margin winner.
    I can forsee the response from US domiciled competitors... Anti-Dumping Duty Definition | Investopedia
    07-21-13 11:54 AM
    Sales reps at my local at&t store told me not to look at BlackBerry for my next phone. "They're going out of business...iPhone is what you want...".

Sad, because this conversation took place 2 years ago. I'd stopped by to ask when the 9900 was coming in. Getting BBRY out of at&t is not a new idea...
    07-21-13 12:28 PM
    Ok, the thread has had a lot of off topic posts and general bickering removed. Lets see if we can continue back on topic.
    And yet the inflammatory posts were left in. Please re-review thread.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 12:32 PM
    I can forsee the response from US domiciled competitors... Anti-Dumping Duty Definition | Investopedia
    A $0 w/ 2 year agreement for a Z10 would not be anti-dumping. $400 off contract is fair price and $300 would be reasonably competitive. The phone would need to be $250 off contract or less in order to be even considered "dumping". Devices such as the Nexus 4 or the Nexus 7 or the Lumia 521 haven't triggered "dumping" laws yet. If the Z10 took on the Nexus 4's pricing strategy, it would probably be $200 off contract relative to the specs.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 07-21-13 at 01:20 PM.
    07-21-13 12:42 PM
    Or even better

$0.99 w/o contract and no advertising for a day.

Sent from my Motorola Startac
    07-21-13 01:00 PM
    What angers me the most is for the carriers to whine about lack of support when they're hardly putting the effort in themselves, and like I said, this all started at the carrier testing stage so this all has the feel of a self fulfilling prophecy to me.
    At the end of the day, a sale is a sale to the carrier. While there might be incentives to "push" certain devices over others, if you walk in to a store and seem focused on an iPhone or S4, the sales rep won't go out of his way to twist your arm to get something else only to risk you returning it later.

I agree that sales staff should be educated about all phones, whether it's an iPhone, Galaxy, Lumia or BB. But while I want BB to succeed as much as the next enthusiast, if I'm a sales guy, my "allegiance" should be with the customers. My job is assess and align their needs with a device. And unless a customer comes in saying they want a physical keyboard or a communications-centric device (above all else), why should I take the risk on pushing an unproven platform, especially if the customer wants apps or functionality that isn't available on that platform?
    trwrt and bp3dots like this.
    07-21-13 01:02 PM
    That was at first, but enthusiasm has dropped off quickly. At the respective launches the folks ay my Rogers store were positive about the BB10's. But I recently when in to swap SIM cards to upgrade my corporate Bold to a Z10, the Rogers guy said BB10 is '****' and now that BBM is going cross-platform he would never recommend anyone get an actual BlackBerry.

Now, that's a lousy sales person. On many fronts. You never ever bash what's in your bag. You can be more positive about one than another, but if you want to be tops in sales, you never discourage a sale. Jesus.

Plenty of blame to go around for the Z10 failure. It needed 10.1 before it was fully ready for the US market, and that didn't happen. That's on BB.

The carriers did zero to promote sales of the device, that's on them.

But the marketing campaign has been sad; pervasive but sad. The "Keep Moving" campaign is lame. The theme is lame. The execution with stupid meant to be funny clips of Bollywood and some jackass in a pool using smartphone were lame. That's on BB.

The devices were over-priced. While it may have preserved higher margins which was better for the corporate balance sheet, it did so at the expense of unit sales. Unfortunately, though Thorsten doesn't like it, that is ultimately what both Wall Street, and consumers place value on. People don't want to buy the small dying out product. They want the headed for huge numbers product. They want the "next big thing" and that means volume. The Z10 should have been $50 or $0 from the start. Let the Aristo be the high-margin winner. That's on BlackBerry.

What BlackBerry has right now is a marketing problem. The devices are good, but no one cares.
    In on Rogers as well. I think what has happened is the part of the market that does not have a bb10 device the enthusiasm is falling off. The enthusiasm for those that have one has heightened because of the s improvements in 10.1 and the expectations of 10.2. For myself, my family and my business, the launch OS was a disaster. Things have gotten better and I expect it to continue. Link was and is a dog and I'm not sure that will change much soon. Those of us that have had one since day 1, can more easily have hope that things will get better. We have seen the change. Those without a new BlackBerry have only the articles by ticked off users to judge. Hence the market that is considering a new phone sees the BlackBerry through the prism of the launch narrative that was not good. BlackBerry can drive forward and improve. Whether they will be any good at informing the market of their achievements remains to be seen.

Presented by Dr. Emmett Brown on BlackBerry Z41
    07-21-13 01:10 PM
    It's a shame really. I know a guy who actually went to get the Z10 from AT&T and the sales person talked him out of it. The sales person told him the Z10 sucks, no wonder it isn't selling well. I can only imagine how many times this has happened.

When I went to get my Z10, one of their sales people tried the same thing, telling me how much BlackBerry sucks and how they aren't anything anymore.

Posted via CB10
    It is not acceptable. I wonder why Blackberry is dealing with it.
    07-21-13 01:12 PM
    And there in lies the question, why is this an issue only in the US?
    It's not. BB sold only $2.7m worth of BB 10 devices, so it's not like there's some country you can point to (except maybe Canada) and call it a resounding success there. The majority of BB device sales were of BBOS models in emerging markets.

BB maintains an "advantage" in those markets due to the high cost of service plans and less robust carrier infrastructure, which make BB's BIS and BBM platform a value prop for the customer and carrier--a value prop that BB 10 doesn't have. And as these markets are flooded with low-cost Android devices offering alternative messaging platforms that are gaining traction, any advantage BB currently has in these markets is at risk.
    h20work likes this.
    07-21-13 01:16 PM
    Hence the market that is considering a new phone sees the BlackBerry through the prism of the launch narrative that was not good. BlackBerry can drive forward and improve. Whether they will be any good at informing the market of their achievements remains to be seen.

Presented by Dr. Emmett Brown on BlackBerry Z41
    Interesting choice of words..."prism". could have something to do with the lack of carrier support. Just a thought.

I do however agree that things are getting better, just not sure what it will take for adoption to increase in the US where Apple and Google have done a tremendous job at making people think they are the be all and end all in the industry.

Posted via Z10
    07-21-13 01:16 PM
    At the end of the day, a sale is a sale to the carrier. While there might be incentives to "push" certain devices over others, if you walk in to a store and seem focused on an iPhone or S4, the sales rep won't go out of his way to twist your arm to get something else only to risk you returning it later.

I agree that sales staff should be educated about all phones, whether it's an iPhone, Galaxy, Lumia or BB. But while I want BB to succeed as much as the next enthusiast, if I'm a sales guy, my "allegiance" should be with the customers. My job is assess and align their needs with a device. And unless a customer comes in saying they want a physical keyboard or a communications-centric device (above all else), why should I take the risk on pushing an unproven platform, especially if the customer wants apps or functionality that isn't available on that platform?
    What you're saying makes total sense. However it's not quite how it works at least here with the corporate ATT store. I have a guy, my phone guy, lol! I worked with him years ago, and every year, he's who I buy my phone from. He knows that I know what I want and doesn't push me one way or another. When I went in this time to get my Z, the store was busy, with a waiting list to get help and bi got paired off with another rep. As I was going through two reps and a manager arguing that I wanted my Z and not an iPhone, my guy was looking over and laughing the whole time, because he knew what the end result would be and was just enjoying the show. Yes, they are forced to push the iPhone and push it hard. It is not about helping a customer pick the right phone for them, it's about selling them the iPhone. The other phones are there to draw people in, and then switch that sell to the glorious apple once their in the store. My 'guy' told me this back when I got my 9810 new. I think the only thing that's changed between then and now is it is now a harder sell. I mean geeze, I had to go through a manager to buy my Z. What the heck is that?

Posted via CB10
    m0de25 and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    07-21-13 01:24 PM
    US carriers has conspiracy against BlackBerry.
    bekkay and h20work like this.
    07-21-13 01:33 PM
    What you're saying makes total sense. However it's not quite how it works at least here with the corporate ATT store. I have a guy, my phone guy, lol! I worked with him years ago, and every year, he's who I buy my phone from. He knows that I know what I want and doesn't push me one way or another. When I went in this time to get my Z, the store was busy, with a waiting list to get help and bi got paired off with another rep. As I was going through two reps and a manager arguing that I wanted my Z and not an iPhone, my guy was looking over and laughing the whole time, because he knew what the end result would be and was just enjoying the show. Yes, they are forced to push the iPhone and push it hard. It is not about helping a customer pick the right phone for them, it's about selling them the iPhone. The other phones are there to draw people in, and then switch that sell to the glorious apple once their in the store. My 'guy' told me this back when I got my 9810 new. I think the only thing that's changed between then and now is it is now a harder sell. I mean geeze, I had to go through a manager to buy my Z. What the heck is that?

Posted via CB10
    Woah woah wait...are you seriously saying that you went in and asked to purchase a Z10 and they did anything besides say OK let me get one from the back wait here?

Unacceptable. You knew what you wanted. You didn't ask for an opinion. You were ready to buy upon entry.

There is NO excuse or justification for that behavior on their part because that is not sales behavior.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    07-21-13 01:41 PM
    they are probably making room for the A10
    07-21-13 01:59 PM
239 ... 34567 ...