12-03-14 07:58 AM
239 1234 ...
tools
    AT&T sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if they folded or were consumed by another carrier.
    07-20-13 01:55 PM
    Maybe time for BB to make a significant purchase with a partner ;-)
    07-20-13 02:12 PM
    It's a shame really. I know a guy who actually went to get the Z10 from AT&T and the sales person talked him out of it. The sales person told him the Z10 sucks, no wonder it isn't selling well. I can only imagine how many times this has happened.

When I went to get my Z10, one of their sales people tried the same thing, telling me how much BlackBerry sucks and how they aren't anything anymore.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 02:12 PM
    If AT&T needs a lesson in how to market a BlackBerry then they need not look any further than Rogers in Canada who went nuts with the Z10 and Q10 and they're probably outselling AT&T quite handily in a country with 1/10th the population as a result. I know it's fashionable to blame BlackBerry for all their current ills but all you've got to do is look at Canada and the UK, amongst others, to understand how important carrier support is to the success of a device, BlackBerry can only do so much if the carrier is too lazy to get off their **** and do something.
    Rogers has an exclusivity contract with BB. So if you want to make a comparison, make a comparison to Verizon, not AT&T.

And the best Z10 commercial I've seen in the US, not ironically has been Verizon's. Not BB's.

So let's say Apple and Samsung **are** sponsoring bonuses/incentive offers to reps to sell their devices. Who's stopping BB from doing the same? Who's stopping them from going on a banner/in-store marketing blitz? From what I've read, and I'd love to be corrected on this, in-store marketing costs extra (not the reps' personal views, but prominent display, banners, etc.)

One thing I do blame the (US) carriers for, is slow OS update release. Verizon not releasing a 10.1 build is inexcusable.

AT&T sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if they folded or were consumed by another carrier.
    Last edited by raino; 07-20-13 at 02:27 PM.
    bp3dots, JeepBB and Cesare21 like this.
    07-20-13 02:17 PM
    It's a shame if it is true. Not totally surprised though. I live in Canada but have been following the launch in the US and ha e read so many threads here about the top 4 carriers in the US and how they have dealt with the BB10 devices. The US is and will continue to be a very difficult market for BlackBerry. The dominance of iPhone and Android devices + the reputation that bbOS left + the carriers lack of effort pushing bb10 + BlackBerry's poor marketing = a very tall mountain to climb.

Maybe AT&T will stop selling Z10's when the A10 ( calling it that for now until official name is released) is launched.

BlackBerry needs to continue to make bb10 OS better and better and make good devices and continue to market bb10 more and more, along with word of mouth and then slowly bb10 will grow in the US. I don't believe the devices have to be top of the line specs and so on but more importantly need to run bb10 great and look good and things will get better slowly. This is just my opinion.

BlackBerry for life. Kick'n it with my Z10.
    bigbbrybeliever likes this.
    07-20-13 02:21 PM
    The cost of the z10 Brand New on a contract from AT&T is 99.99? Which I find that a great price, seeing it is a top of the line smartphone with cheaper pricing then the other top phones. It has a five star rating with150 reviews. I am not sure why they would be discontinuing this phone. People seem to love it.

Posted via CB10
    bigbbrybeliever likes this.
    07-20-13 02:23 PM
    Maybe it's not the US carriers, or BB, maybe it's the NSA and US gov pressing carriers to get the US public onto platforms they can easliy monitor and infect, thus the answer may not be to switch carriers, but to move to Canada instead.

Hurry, before they close the borders ;-)
    07-20-13 02:28 PM
    Sure you can keep the device, on the next invoice will be the full retail price of the phone as well as any other fees for cancelling the line.
    If the line is canceled before the initial 14 days, the customer would owe the full price for the device but no ETF. If the line is canceled after day 14, the customer owes the ETF, but not for the price difference for the device.
    07-20-13 02:28 PM
    Unfortunately, T-Mobile doesn't work well in a lot of areas of the country....including mine. Where I live, I would only have 2g data. Not worth it.
    Of course you could roam on AT&T and also -- probably August -- have wifi-calling.
    07-20-13 02:29 PM
    Rogers has an exclusivity contract with BB. So if you want to make a comparison, make a comparison to Verizon, not AT&T.

And the best Z10 commercial I've seen in the US, not ironically has been Verizon's. Not BB's.

So let's say Apple and Samsung **are** sponsoring bonuses/incentive offers to reps to sell their devices. Who's stopping BB from doing the same? Who's stopping them from going on a banner/in-store marketing blitz?

One thing I do blame the (US) carriers for, is slow OS update release. Verizon not releasing a 10.1 build is inexcusable.

What exclusivity does Roger have with BlackBerry? The only one I can think of was the white Q10 and even that was just for a few weeks, pretty much everyone has it now, even the smaller carriers including the newest upstart Eastlink. I can't think of a single reason why the comparrison isn't fair.
    07-20-13 02:30 PM
    What exclusivity does Roger have with BlackBerry? The only one I can think of was the white Q10 and even that was just for a few weeks, pretty much everyone has it now, even the smaller carriers including the newest upstart Eastlink. I can't think of a single reason why the comparrison isn't fair.
    BB must have gotten something in return for giving them exclusivity, right? Could it be "upgraded" advertising they promised?
    07-20-13 02:35 PM
    I hate all this arguing about customer service, if my network doesn't work I blame AT&T but device customer support and therefore Operating system updates should come directly from the device maker, i.e. Blackberry, the carriers are afraid of being taken out of the loop, meanwhile they should be saving money by only lightly approving operating systems, and pushing customer service to the device makers, be the middle man and make the money, make your network work and shut up otherwise

Via CB10
    The network is their bread and butter. Why would they NOT check things that are going to be running on it? You can't just drive ANY vehicle down the freeway, gotta be approved so that it doesn't cause problems for others.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-20-13 02:40 PM
    Not surprised at all. Att and discouraging users no marketing pushing iPhone and Android and releasing os updates months later and you have the predicament we are in today. No matter what device and how good or better it is with their lack of marketing it'd gonna fail. Most people don't know about the z10 or blackberry 10.
    07-20-13 02:44 PM
    If ATT wanted to they could sell millions of Z10 but as most us known they have already chosen who they will support (Apple, Nokia). Honestly BB should just focus more on the rest of the world because the American market is really hard to crack open and maintain a powerful position in.
    Teh Yang likes this.
    07-20-13 02:52 PM
    Yup, which has to make one wonder, why this issue only in the US?
    07-20-13 02:52 PM
    My concern is that supporting the platform would become an even lower priority for AT&T. Since carriers are so involved in updates, I can foresee 10.2 taking an extra 6 months.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 03:00 PM
    Honestly BB should just focus more on the rest of the world because the American market is really hard to crack open and maintain a powerful position in.
    And there in lies the question, why is this an issue only in the US?
    Teh Yang likes this.
    07-20-13 03:01 PM

So let's say Apple and Samsung **are** sponsoring bonuses/incentive offers to reps to sell their devices. Who's stopping BB from doing the same? Who's stopping them from going on a banner/in-store marketing blitz? From what I've read, and I'd love to be corrected on this, in-store marketing costs extra (not the reps' personal views, but prominent display, banners, etc.)

Read the Forbes article, it goes well beyond incentives. These carriers have to buy in to iPhone, and I'm guessing probably top tier Samsung phones since Samsung seems to take a lot of the same approach as apple. (except I like Samsung and hate apple.... hmmm) theyre paying for then whether they sale them or not. So if people tire of iPhone, and buy other devices, Apple doesn't take the loss, the carrier does, who is now stuck with out of date Iphones that they paid top dollar for. So, do you as a company tell your employees to go about business as usual, or tell them to scrap sales of other products and sell the one product that you have to sell or lose millions?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...-iphone-sales/

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 03:02 PM
    BB must have gotten something in return for giving them exclusivity, right? Could it be "upgraded" advertising they promised?
    I would highly doubt Rogers slipped a dollar or two into BlackBerry's jacket pocket while they weren't looking for exclusivity on a phone that know they're going sell by the boatload. Is it entirely possible BlackBerry gave Rogers exclusivity on the white Q10 for a few weeks as a pat on the back for selling so many Z10s right out of the gate? Absolutely, in fact, I'd put money on it. And BlackBerry would be right for doing so, it just makes sense to reward a carrier who is tremendously successful with your product. That's not to say Telus and Bell haven't been successful, but you've got to admit, Rogers commitment to BB10 right from launch has been pretty impressive. And, just so you know, I can't stand Rogers, I had an awful experience while I was with them, but credit where credit's due.

*EDIT *

As to advertising, all carriers receive support from BlackBerry in the way of cash, either directly or through dealer associations, and physical support with templates, logos, and maybe printed matter but it's the carrier's responsibility to run their own advertising.
    07-20-13 03:06 PM
    Remember that this is just a rumor, right?
    07-20-13 03:17 PM
    Another thing I like about t-mo, they didn't give a crap if they were selling iPhone or not. This is their first year doing so.
    07-20-13 03:17 PM
    Thread moved to News & Rumors Forum.
    07-20-13 03:21 PM
    True! HTC used to be the phone to have and now it's Samsung

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 03:21 PM
    Yup, which has to make one wonder, why this issue only in the US?
    the US networks (ATT and VZW) are massive compared to all the other markets out there in NA
    07-20-13 03:22 PM
    And the US market seems to be the one that many people here talk about a lot.
    Not other markets. So if BBRY is struggling in the US, it gets discussed. If BBRY is struggling in say Malaysia (no offense to my friends there), no one will comment on it.
    07-20-13 03:33 PM
239 1234 ...