08-05-14 11:19 AM
190 ... 45678
tools
    JC was asked before if he would sell BlackBerry. He said something like "How much?". If the opportunity comes, he'd do his job and decide what's best for the investors.

BBQ10
    And the joke ended with: "at $100/share I'd consider the offer"
    07-25-14 06:07 AM
    It's got to be Samsung that's driving the stock up. Tomorrow it'll be rumours that Google is looking at BlackBerry... it's mathematically impossible that BlackBerry could be the causal factor for THEIR own stock rising. "Sarcasm"
    This : Chen shrugs off IBM and Apple enterprise team-up - The Globe and Mail [edited : possible partnership announced inside] is more likely what drove the stock up. Add also the info that IBM will partner with BlackBerry to offer hosted BES for Europeans.

I'm not buying (and never had) a takeover from anyone.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-25-14 at 06:53 AM.
    07-25-14 06:11 AM
    I just don't know what would Samsung do to BlackBerry if this would actually be a thing, I mean the galaxy smartphones already sell well, thus I don't see them sell phones with another OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 06:12 AM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    nothing to do with Samsung buying Blackberry .. if that at all was a real rumour the stock (BBRY) would double overnight ... as the stock price would be significant for Blackberry to consider it at all ... likely just partnering possibilities in the future for Blackberry ....
    Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    07-25-14 06:33 AM
    If you study what Chen is doing (hiring everybody from his former company, and heading towards their space).... he is actually grooming BB to become either a takeover target or partnership with Sybase/SAP

The Samsung thing is pure bunk. They have no force in the enterprise space beyond hardware.
    Last edited by sandman10; 07-25-14 at 07:15 AM.
    07-25-14 06:39 AM
    Blackberry can surely partner with likes of Samsung to make their phones more secure! That could be huge. Even at $5 per phone fees that could be huge!
    07-25-14 07:01 AM
    Blackberry can be alone and strong! Why do they need acquisition or purchase?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 07:09 AM
    Not Microsoft? or Cisco?
    07-25-14 07:53 AM
    Not Microsoft? or Cisco?
    Both and others can join in a strong(er) partnership.
    If you want my call, it's SAP that might have the biggest part.
    07-25-14 09:08 AM
    Blackberry can surely partner with likes of Samsung to make their phones more secure! That could be huge. Even at $5 per phone fees that could be huge!
    That cannot happen. Android would have to be rewritten from the ground up and that is Google's responsibility. Not Samsung. Samsung tried to put lipstick (KNOX) on a pig (Android) and it didn't work.
    07-25-14 09:20 AM
    Agree with you @Superfly_FR.

Microsoft
    SAP
    Cisco
    Blackberry

And let Android and Samsung deal with the leftover...
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-25-14 09:35 AM
    That is quite a story about a possible but out. One sentence in the last paragraph of the story. Not much bite to the rumour.
    07-25-14 09:59 AM
    This : Chen shrugs off IBM and Apple enterprise team-up - The Globe and Mail [edited : possible partnership announced inside] is more likely what drove the stock up. Add also the info that IBM will partner with BlackBerry to offer hosted BES for Europeans.

I'm not buying (and never had) a takeover from anyone.
    Sorry but a BlackBerry CEOs shrugging off what Apple does is not new.... they have been laugh and joking about Apple for years.

And BlackBerry announcing a IBM division in Germany that is in the business of providing Hosting Services for business already, being an option for companies that want a hosted option for BES is not even close to the partnership that IBM and Apple announced. Heck the US Company that has "partnered" with BlackBerry is Exchange My Mail - that gives you an idea of how much the IBM/BlackBerry partnership means.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-25-14 10:17 AM
    Samsung. Yuck.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 10:34 AM
    I am assuming it's a dirty gimmick by competition to thwart any kind of sales that BlackBerry Passport might get...specially after Passport got some decently acceptable reviews or pre reviews from different tech blog sites.
    Just my HO.

Beware - MAJ on Z10 !!!
    07-25-14 10:44 AM
    KNOX wil be finally getting a final version aka BES 12
    kevets likes this.
    07-25-14 12:55 PM
    Sorry but a BlackBerry CEOs shrugging off what Apple does is not new.... they have been laugh and joking about Apple for years.

And BlackBerry announcing a IBM division in Germany that is in the business of providing Hosting Services for business already, being an option for companies that want a hosted option for BES is not even close to the partnership that IBM and Apple announced. Heck the US Company that has "partnered" with BlackBerry is Exchange My Mail - that gives you an idea of how much the IBM/BlackBerry partnership means.
    Did you actually read the article or just stopped to the title ... ?
    BTW, IBM hosted BES is for the whole Europe (except Germany where local players are set too). That's a pretty big deal. Now go figure how IBM will manage iOs devices in Europe: what will be the most cost-efficient for them, in real world ... that, neither you or me knows.
    But one thing is sure now : they'll have metrics pretty soon ( P.S: I don't live under a rock: I know about IBM's acquisitions).
    Mr4aces likes this.
    07-25-14 01:19 PM
    Many would wait to see a Samsung device running BB10. Just my opinion, but who knows.
    Not me.
    My Xperia Z Ultra is on repair and got a practically brand new S4 from my company to hold me over... very flimsy design, full of bloatware and far-far less pseedy than my Z Ultra - granted, that's a Snapdragon 800-based unit but also drives a 6.5" screen etc, this is a much smaller display, they came out just couple of months away so it's a valid comparison (S4 started shipping 2013 May-ish, I believe, Z Ultra started in August 2013, I think.)
    07-25-14 03:01 PM
    KNOX wil be finally getting a final version aka BES 12
    KNOX was killed two weeks ago, Samsung closed the project officially..
    07-25-14 03:01 PM

Err, you don't really get it...
    FYI Germans are looking for NSA-proof localized solutions and BB is actually one of the few companies they apparently still trust and by teaming up with IBM enables BB to quickly scale out its hosted (cloud-based) offerings in the German market (which is easily the biggest one in Europe, remember.)
    07-25-14 03:04 PM
    07-25-14 03:20 PM
    They called it RIM ? Huh that's a 2012 post.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    anon1727506 likes this.
    07-25-14 03:26 PM
    Did you actually read the article or just stopped to the title ... ?
    BTW, IBM hosted BES is for the whole Europe (except Germany where local players are set too). That's a pretty big deal. Now go figure how IBM will manage iOs devices in Europe: what will be the most cost-efficient for them, in real world ... that, neither you or me knows.
    But one thing is sure now : they'll have metrics pretty soon ( P.S: I don't live under a rock: I know about IBM's acquisitions).
    Yes I read it, and BlackBerry's announcement - that's how I knew that Exchange My Mail was the big power player for all of North America (never heard of them before).

But BES Hosting isn't new... not really sure what the announcement was about to be honest. Go look around you will find many of these big server farm type hosting companies have the option to add BES right now.... just not sure if it's BES10 or not.

As to how IBM will mange iOS devices in Europe (and the rest of the world).... IBM MobileFirst Management. That will be what IBM will be pushing as their end-to-end solution, the BES add on for hosting is just a feature that one hosting division will offer as part of web hosting packages. Big difference than it being an IBM company wide solution. Go do a quick search for IBM MobileFirst... you see the dancing elephants are doing the tango already.
    07-25-14 03:34 PM
    That is so 2012..
    07-25-14 03:38 PM
    This would never happen. Palm, Motorola or Nokia would be more likely to be purchased before Blackberry would.
    Motorola is owned by Lenovo, which the Canadian government blocked the offer to buy BlackBerry, Nokia is owned by Microsoft, Microsoft is strapped for cash in the mobile sector, they just laid off 18,000 ppl. So your comment is out to lunch

C0020AFC4
    07-25-14 08:07 PM
190 ... 45678