08-05-14 10:19 AM
190 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Samsung has Tizen, which has an Android runtime too.

Highly doubt it. If they do buy it, it's probably bye bye BB10 and the hardware divisions. They'll probably want the patents, government contracts and maybe BBM.

Samsung can't just make a BlackBerry 10 phone, as they are part of the OHA. One of the conditions is that they may not make any phones running a forked version of Android (ie. runtime in BB10).

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 07:44 PM
    I call BS as well. This is not a price advantageous time to buy Blackberry.

Well, at least the Samsung BB10 would have the latest CPU and camera and an incredible display... And it's not like the Z30's casing/frame is anything to write home about when comparing to HTC, Sony, and especially Apple.

Hardware isn't Blackberry's forte.
    I never complimented the Z30 either. I have the Q10, which has a stainless steel frame/bezel milled from a single block of stainless steel, stainless steel frets, and a glass weave back. If it had been made out of all plastic I might not be too thrilled to own it... I would like the best of both world's, premium materials on the outside and premium specs in the inside. And we don't need Samsung for that seeing the specs of the Passport. It's not the top-end in the market, but it's definitely more than good enough for me, as long as the outside is also made of premium materials like the Q10 is.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    07-24-14 08:00 PM
    Erm, all BB10 devices are plastic. More interesting, whole BBRY portfolio is more than 90% plastic phones, so real BBRY user should have no fear
    That's so weird. I must have a limited edition, one-of-a-kind Q10 that's the only one in the world not made out of plastic... Wow, I will sell it to you for $1000 since this must be collectible...

Mr4aces likes this.
    07-24-14 08:02 PM
    I think Apple would make the most sense. They both have closed ecosystems, Blackberry already knows how to secure their devices. Blackberry could completely own the business market. Imagine, an Apple phone running IOS, BB10 AND Android on one phone all secured separately. Why buy anything other than Apple? It's the best of all worlds. It's a US company so neither the Canadian nor US governments would balk and because BlackBerry has lost so much market share the competition bureau wouldn't care.
    stop smoking that kush...
    07-24-14 08:04 PM
    Dumb rumor

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    07-24-14 08:47 PM
    The rumour started because of partnership Blackberry is going to do.

Article from globe investor talks about it: Chen shrugs off IBM and Apple enterprise team-up - The Globe and Mail
    07-24-14 08:53 PM
    Samsung has Tizen, which has an Android runtime too.
    Tizen has yet to be released on a commercial smartphone anywhere in the world, and when it does, it almost certainly won't include an Android player, even though Samsung has done some work on it.

Samsung was hoping to do something similar to what BB thought they'd do: use Android apps (and in Samsung's case, replace stock Google apps with S-Apps several years in advance, hoping to get people using them instead of Google's apps [a big fail - only 3% of people use the S-Apps]) to give them some breathing room while they attempted to build a native ecosystem for Tizen. But the lesson of BB, and also of Amazon and MS, has not been lost on Samsung - without a vibrant, competitive, complete, and up-to-date ecosystem, it is VERY difficult for a new OS to compete.

That's why Samsung signed a 10-year commitment with Google re-affirming Samsung's ties to Google and Android, and have scaled back TouchWiz and S-Apps a lot. Samsung may not like it, but they've gotten the message, from the market itself, that consumers put a VERY high priority on the ecosystem, and that players who don't have much of one have all struggled not just to succeed, but to even continue to exist. Samsung needs Android, and though they will continue to develop Tizen as a back-up plan, and may release a few Tizen phones to the market, they fully understand that, in the foreseeable future, their success is closely tied to Android and Google, like it or not.
    mornhavon, sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    07-24-14 09:01 PM
    JC was asked before if he would sell BlackBerry. He said something like "How much?". If the opportunity comes, he'd do his job and decide what's best for the investors.

BBQ10
    sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    07-24-14 09:05 PM
    Of all companies, would you really want sammy to soil it for them? Im sorry but they suck IMO
    Mr4aces likes this.
    07-24-14 10:15 PM
    how can anyone buy anything that's NOT for sale??
    Publicly traded companies are always for sale.

Hard to see ant reason Samsung would though. Patent sale could be blocked depending on what Samsung already has. Other businesses not worth much to a company like Samsung as they are all services.

Also, already has 40+% of smartphone market. Partnering to own BES would be a headache.

Btw. Chen said a week or so ago he must consider any serious offer, actually the BoD must. Suggested ?$100 share price.

Keep in kind Watsa's break even number is almost $40 per share and he controls a lot of votes

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    07-24-14 10:26 PM
    Does not serve the needs of international customers nowadays, and an enterprise buyer focus does not serve the needs of consumers. Consumers are needed for a healthy device business, and no device business does not serve the needs of most of BB's enterprise customers. Consumers are not fans of getting their phones from Microsoft, either.
    Yet windows phone has got a bigger user base then blackberry and they haven't been in the game as long bbm is even on WP now cuz rim couldn't deny it anymore that there are just more WP then blackberrys in the wild
    dolco likes this.
    07-24-14 10:40 PM
    Tizen has yet to be released on a commercial smartphone anywhere in the world, and when it does, it almost certainly won't include an Android player, even though Samsung has done some work on it.

Samsung was hoping to do something similar to what BB thought they'd do: use Android apps (and in Samsung's case, replace stock Google apps with S-Apps several years in advance, hoping to get people using them instead of Google's apps [a big fail - only 3% of people use the S-Apps]) to give them some breathing room while they attempted to build a native ecosystem for Tizen. But the lesson of BB, and also of Amazon and MS, has not been lost on Samsung - without a vibrant, competitive, complete, and up-to-date ecosystem, it is VERY difficult for a new OS to compete.

That's why Samsung signed a 10-year commitment with Google re-affirming Samsung's ties to Google and Android, and have scaled back TouchWiz and S-Apps a lot. Samsung may not like it, but they've gotten the message, from the market itself, that consumers put a VERY high priority on the ecosystem, and that players who don't have much of one have all struggled not just to succeed, but to even continue to exist. Samsung needs Android, and though they will continue to develop Tizen as a back-up plan, and may release a few Tizen phones to the market, they fully understand that, in the foreseeable future, their success is closely tied to Android and Google, like it or not.
    WP has got alot more app the both bb and amazon and the app gap is closing faster and faster so to say that its not is stupid I's Microsoft wanted they could buy bb and kill it but there being nice and letting them live oh and even BBM came to windows guess bb changed there mind about WP being to small should tell you something
    dolco likes this.
    07-24-14 10:56 PM
    This better not happen. I'll be pissed if Samsung bought BB.
    07-24-14 11:08 PM
    That's so weird. I must have a limited edition, one-of-a-kind Q10 that's the only one in the world not made out of plastic... Wow, I will sell it to you for $1000 since this must be collectible...

It May have metallic frame, but its mostly plastic with plastic feel. Other BB10 devices are pure plastic. Old OS7 devices are also mostly made of plastic, with plastic screens even. So what is your point? Believe me, BBRY phones in general are not some quality masterpieces.
    07-25-14 12:36 AM
    I don't think so. Samsung already has the Tizen OS. The real value of Blackberry for would be the same for Apple and Samsung, the only value they see in Blackberry is the MDM solutions, the BES12. Apple and Samsung are kicking *** in the consumer market, why change? but they are getting their asses kicked in the Enterprise, that's why they want Blackberry to get stronger in the MDM market.
    Tizen would also be leveraged by cheap competitors, like Android.
    07-25-14 12:47 AM
    Yet windows phone has got a bigger user base then blackberry and they haven't been in the game as long bbm is even on WP now cuz rim couldn't deny it anymore that there are just more WP then blackberrys in the wild
    They have a bigger user base by coming massively down from the #1 spot that was held by real Nokia.
    07-25-14 12:50 AM
    A Google Blackberry arrangement would be more likely. Blackberry with their IOT and Google wanting to connect all devices to one another would be nice. Plus Blackberry brings the enterprise space which Google would benefit huge from since Samsung ditched their effort.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 12:52 AM
    Keep dreaming sellouts! BlackBerry is not for sale. Partnering up is good to go though.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 01:19 AM
    Rumor has it...and it's just that! Rumor!

Why would BlackBerry sell now of all times. Chen always say, make him a good offer and he may consider it. That does not mean he will indeed sell.

BlackBerry is well on its way to Profitability and I think the investors are patiently happy with Chen's leadership thus far. After the numbers for the Classic and Passport are in, there will be a better idea of knowing what state of affairs is the hardware division of BlackBerry. Till then, sit tight and brace yourself for more development on BlackBerry.

Believe me you, that BlackBerry is rising to regain its rightful sitting. The world of Samsung and Apple will soon realise that these devices do not offer much.

Do you foresee an ecosystem with less of these ridiculous apps that currently exist?
    07-25-14 02:14 AM
    It May have metallic frame, but its mostly plastic with plastic feel. Other BB10 devices are pure plastic. Old OS7 devices are also mostly made of plastic, with plastic screens even. So what is your point? Believe me, BBRY phones in general are not some quality masterpieces.
    It's not a "metallic" frame... The frame/bezel is milled from a solid block of stainless steel. The frets between the rows on the keyboard are stainless steel, the fret in the back is also stainless steel. And the glass weave material that makes up the back is basically carbon fiber. They just can't actually use carbon fibre because it's conductive and that would act like a faraday cage which would interfere with the signal. But we all know fiberglass is stronger than steel of the same weight, the glass weave is basically fiberglass, but the strands are woven neatly instead of just random patches like fiberglass typically is...

So please tell me, where is all of this plastic? The only thing plastic you ever feel on the Q10 are the individual keys themselves. So please do some research before claiming that it's just "metallic" as if it's just some coating and that it's "mostly plastic."
    CerveloJohn and Mr4aces like this.
    07-25-14 02:20 AM
    Not unexpected. This has to happen anytime. Volume product bases normally do well taking over quality low volume but high value targets. Good if this gets done. Only that Samsung should not tinker with quality of offerings by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    KenFletch likes this.
    07-25-14 02:23 AM
    Sad fact is that BBRY isn't for sale because there are no interested parties (beside Lenovo). If someone serious show interest they will consider sellout for sure. Whole top management is brought from outside without any sentimental connections to the BBRY. Board is sick of decline and drop of value. Who knows what is going on with carrier relations since BBRY has lost tremendous amount of market share. If carriers decide its time to pull a plug on BIS/BES plans then BBRY NOC personal and infrastructure will be shut down, and all legacy devices obsolete.
    07-25-14 02:44 AM
    Canadian government won't allow it. It will be blocked just like they did for Lenovo.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Canada actually did NOT block the sale, there where concerned and publicly stated they'd review IF a sale was on the table yet never was.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    07-25-14 02:53 AM
    Canada actually did NOT block the sale, there where concerned and publicly stated they'd review IF a sale was on the table yet never was.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-...service=mobile

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-25-14 02:58 AM
    Who knows if it's true?

But if it is, it is interesting to see that Samsung are targeting BBRY rather than Blackphone, who you would have thought would be a more obvious 'privacy/security' choice as they already use Android software...
    07-25-14 05:00 AM
190 ... 34567 ...