01-14-15 10:29 AM
37 12
tools
    There does appear to be a new BlackBerry OS Cryptographic Library in FIOS testing right now per the FIPS website. If they go to a new version of Neutrino other than 6.6, or update the crypto kernel, then they have to run it back through NIST.

Posted via CB10
    And that means?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 11:25 AM
    They might also be working on putting android 5.0, and boosting the runtime and making the BlackBerry 10 OS look similar to android. They need to start fixing a lot of bugs also.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 11:31 AM
    What is the QNX version they are running now. I keep seeing 6.5 and 6.6

All I know idea apparently they have been working on this for a long time and we still haven't seen it

http://twitter.com/QNX_Linda/statuse...59930830315520

^^^this is talking about QNX 8 and this was back in 2011...

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 12:30 PM
    And that means?

Posted via CB10
    If they update the Neutrino micro kernel , which is the QNX portion of the OS, then they have to go recertify the device through FIPS. Same is true if they update the crypto kernel. So the fact they are running something through now either points to a change in one, the other, or both.

Another possibility is the move to ARMv8 32/64 bit processors. Current FIPS approval is just for above mentioned kernels, and ARMv7 processors.

Qualcomm is moving to 64 bit this year so BlackBerry is going to have to move there eventually. Apple is basically pushing the mobile industry to 64 bit faster than the industry expected to get there when they released the 5s.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by lnichols; 01-11-15 at 01:48 PM.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-11-15 01:22 PM
    I think it would be nice if they included a JVM in the new kernel for BB10, so that we had backwards compatibility with BB7 apps. That would be awesome for the Classic, and on-screen menu, back, and "trackpad" may be possible for other devices.
    Gykesdollars likes this.
    01-11-15 04:16 PM
    I think it would be cool if we could only have BB10 running.... no Andorid, no Java, no Windows and no iOS. How fast and responsive might that OS be?

But Android is now required.
    Java would be a step backwards (do developers even support BBOS anymore?)
    Windows would be extra licensing cost and a major drain on resources... unless you are talking a top of the line hardware and leaving legacy device out of the update.
    iOS would be the wrath of Apple coming down on BlackBerry, and legal fees that would wipe out the few million in profits they made last quarter.
    01-12-15 12:10 PM
    Lol the channel got deleted

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 06:02 PM
    I think it would be cool if we could only have BB10 running.... no Andorid, no Java, no Windows and no iOS. How fast and responsive might that OS be?

Windows would be extra licensing cost and a major drain on resources... unless you are talking a top of the line hardware and leaving legacy device out of the update.
    Isn't Windows Phone licensing free now? I agree that it will be a major drain on resources tho. It looks like they have a pretty hard time with BB10 and the Android Runtime already, Windows would effectively put them in some sort of crisis.

A plain, Androidless BlackBerry 10 would be a beast in terms of fluidity, speed and memory I think, but it is what it is unfortunately

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 06:30 PM
    Isn't Windows Phone licensing free now? I agree that it will be a major drain on resources tho. It looks like they have a pretty hard time with BB10 and the Android Runtime already, Windows would effectively put them in some sort of crisis.

A plain, Androidless BlackBerry 10 would be a beast in terms of fluidity, speed and memory I think, but it is what it is unfortunately
    Posted via CB10
    You're forgetting that BB10 is a RTOS. If you're not using something at the moment, then it doesn't really get execution priority and so won't interfere with system performance as much.

Even now the Android environment doesn't interfere with any non-Android apps and the system, and if you aren't using it then it would barely ever run. Plus I do believe it can be uninstalled, though I don't know how that will affect system stability.
    ummie4 likes this.
    01-12-15 10:40 PM
    Lol the channel got deleted

Posted via CB10
    They must have been letting too much real information out.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 11:14 PM
    Hah they did get deleted lol.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 01:52 AM
    Hah they did get deleted lol.

Posted via CB10
    Don't know why you would be rejoicing at loosing another information sight.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 10:29 AM
37 12