11-05-13 12:53 PM
97 ... 234
tools
    The Feds will block any deal with any company outside North America
    Canadian Feds?
    11-04-13 10:40 AM
    I know I'm getting them mistaken with each other, but everytime I hear Lenovo I think of this commercial:

11-04-13 12:21 PM
    If the Chinese get BlackBerry I will be moving swiftly to another platform
    11-04-13 12:45 PM
    I don't care how much they offer. Don't sell to the Chinese.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 01:28 PM
    BTW. Their products are not allowed in our company due to security risks. Period.

And who imposed that policy, you?

Because I see no evidence of any funny stuff with Lenovo, and I've been following them closely ever since the IBM PC buyout and IBM's PC business for many years before that.

Lenovo is not Huawei. They do not have close links to the PLA, they do not have a history of shady business dealings (ie the IP-stealing that Huawei is infamous for), they have independent directors and operational divisions from all over the world, still a significant presence of old IBMers, and their CEO is very independent-minded. From here, it looks like Lenovo is as close to China's version of Sony Corp. during their ascendance in the 1970s than anything else.

Sounds more like someone with a silly ideological axe to grind than someone who sets policy based on actual proven threats.

Quoting wikipedia on it's article about Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing:

"...as of 2013, Lenovo's top 14 executives come from seven countries, Lenovo has acquired companies all over the world, and the company has dual headquarters in Beijing and Morrisville, the former home of IBM's personal computer business.

Lenovo CEO hands over his bonus to hourly workers–again

Barrons names Lenovo's Yang Yuanqing one of 2013's best CEO's worldwide
    11-04-13 05:11 PM
    China conducts aggressive espionage in the US.
    Whereas the U.S. conducts aggressive espionage everywhere.
    11-04-13 05:58 PM
    **everywhere excluding the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK.

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    11-04-13 06:03 PM
    Rumours, rumours and more rumours! They are just rumours!
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    11-04-13 06:33 PM
    **everywhere excluding the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK.

They just ask those countries to spy on their own citizens and then share the data.
    11-04-13 06:35 PM
    Right now there's a check at Lenovo which is being revised so that "$5 billion" is being changed to "3.5 billion"
    richardat likes this.
    11-04-13 06:42 PM
    They are rumors but it is very possible some one/company from out of NA buys or offers to buy BlackBerry and there is nothing "Canadian Feds" can do with it when good cash is on the table.
    11-04-13 06:46 PM
    I think Canadian Gov might block Lenovo. I'm sure they would much rather favour the Qualcomm/lazaridis deal.
    It will never happen. You are correct the Canadian government would never permit it.

Posted via the best Keyboard in Existence my Mo Fo Z10
    Gunner24 likes this.
    11-04-13 06:50 PM
    Too late. They've taken it off the market.

Maybe if they give Prem his dang money back, they'll be allowed to buy it.
    11-04-13 07:02 PM
    And who imposed that policy, you?

Because I see no evidence of any funny stuff with Lenovo, and I've been following them closely ever since the IBM PC buyout and IBM's PC business for many years before that.

Lenovo is not Huawei. They do not have close links to the PLA, they do not have a history of shady business dealings (ie the IP-stealing that Huawei is infamous for), they have independent directors and operational divisions from all over the world, still a significant presence of old IBMers, and their CEO is very independent-minded. From here, it looks like Lenovo is as close to China's version of Sony Corp. during their ascendance in the 1970s than anything else.

Sounds more like someone with a silly ideological axe to grind than someone who sets policy based on actual proven threats.

Quoting wikipedia on it's article about Lenovo CEO Yang Yuanqing:

"...as of 2013, Lenovo's top 14 executives come from seven countries, Lenovo has acquired companies all over the world, and the company has dual headquarters in Beijing and Morrisville, the former home of IBM's personal computer business.

Lenovo CEO hands over his bonus to hourly workersagain

Barrons names Lenovo's Yang Yuanqing one of 2013's best CEO's worldwide
    No. I work for a very large financial services/data Corp.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    11-04-13 07:02 PM
    By the way, go find some of those hi-res images of the Space Shuttle and the International Space Station and check out which laptops are exclusively used in the US sections.

Used to be IBM Thinkpads, and now it's Lenovo Thinkpads. I have a funny feeling that NASA wouldn't be putting them all over the ISS if they were full of security backdoors.

The recent hubbub about Lenovo material supposedly being banned at the "Five Eyes" western intelligence agencies seems to be a rehash of the old claim from 2006, which was already specifically refuted by Australian authorities.

Lenovo ThinkPads Arrive at International Space Station - Design - Lenovo Blogs

FUD Attack Against Lenovo May Actually Showcase Security Advantage
    11-04-13 07:11 PM
    Although it's all very moot now, the fact of the matter is this deal was dead before it even got going. The reason? Canada's government blocked the sale to Lenovo between 4 to 8 weeks ago:

Lenovo pursued BlackBerry bid, but Ottawa rejected idea - The Globe and Mail
    11-04-13 07:14 PM
    Although it's all very moot now, the fact of the matter is this deal was dead before it even got going. The reason? Canada's government blocked the sale to Lenovo between 4 to 8 weeks ago:

Lenovo pursued BlackBerry bid, but Ottawa rejected idea - The Globe and Mail
    It is ok for the Canadian govt. to block the idea. Now question is: who will lose? The govt, Candadians, consumers, Lenovo or BlackBerry?
    11-04-13 07:44 PM
    We all win. Security concerns did the deal in.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    ital1 likes this.
    11-04-13 08:30 PM
    We all win. Security concerns did the deal in.
    Whether well-founded or not.

Either that, or plain-old nationalism.

Honestly I don't blame Canadians for not wanting to sell off one of their highest-profile companies to an Asian company. Though I would consider Lenovo - and have pointed this out here repeatedly - to be a much more palatable option than ie Samsung or Huawei or ZTE.
    11-04-13 11:16 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't NEED to be sold but they need a partner. They should sign a licensing deal with Lenovo for exclusive rights for BlackBerry10 in China, SK and Japan.

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    11-04-13 11:33 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't NEED to be sold but they need a partner. They should sign a licensing deal with Lenovo for exclusive rights for BlackBerry10 in China, SK and Japan.

I've long thought that would be an excellent idea.

Especially since BlackBerry marketshare in those places at the present time is essentially zero.
    11-05-13 12:08 PM
    damn, so much for Blackberry being original. i wish Google to just buy them out.
    11-05-13 12:53 PM
97 ... 234