11-05-13 01:53 PM
97 1234
tools
    Canadian government would block, full stop. Google "Canadian government blocks MDA sale". No way in hell will they allow the Certicom division to go to the ChiComs. I'm sure Five Eyes has had something to say about it too.
    bunky1971 likes this.
    11-03-13 08:25 AM
    Before you all start self imploding, remember a few things,

1. The country you live in already spies on you

2. Innovation and cash are two very important parts of the puzzle to saving BlackBerry

3. The present management team is not good for BlackBerrys health

Is it really that hard to see that you will be hard pressed to get half of what you really want from any of these up in the air potential deals?

Hands-on: Lenovo Yoga Tablet review
    yep..and Mike L and Cerberus are much worse alternatives
    11-03-13 08:59 AM
    Won't work for me. I'll give up BlackBerry if this happens.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    11-03-13 09:23 AM
    Lenovo? Eish! I don't look forward to it but if it makes BlackBerry survive, I will stick around to see what happens.
    Last edited by togarika; 11-03-13 at 11:03 AM. Reason: corrected mistake
    neoberry99 likes this.
    11-03-13 10:56 AM
    I'm Asian.
    and even I will destroy my BlackBerry if lenovo takes over.

from an australian Z10...
    same here!!! haha
    anon(4077577) likes this.
    11-03-13 11:04 AM
    Well if this happens, I'm out...

Posted via CB10 with my Z10
    11-03-13 11:21 AM
    I'm highly skeptical of this sale going through, if Lenovo actually does make an offer.

If it did go through I could see it being a somewhat good fit. They both work with enterprise. Lenovo is known for high quality enterprise computers, where as BB is known for high quality handsets. Lenovo wouldn't immediately chop up BB for parts is my thoughts. That might come later. One negative is that Lenovo doesn't really know how to advertise either, thenagain I think they recognize who their target market is and worries about that.

I don't think they are the best fit as a buyer, IBM would he much better and then could license to Lenovo. I could see that working much better. I guess we will find out whatever happens in the next week!
    11-03-13 12:03 PM
    You know there is the option of a partnership, not a full blown purchase. This is something that is being totally ignored by the press.
    11-03-13 12:14 PM
    Can't believe this. There's no way I can see Lenovo thinking it was a good idea to offer the exact same amount as Fairfax did when they know they'd have issues with the Canadian government even if they offered twice as much.

If it's only a partnership or a purchase of some parts of Blackberry, why offer so much?
    11-03-13 01:09 PM
    Can't believe this. There's no way I can see Lenovo thinking it was a good idea to offer the exact same amount as Fairfax did when they know they'd have issues with the Canadian government even if they offered twice as much.

If it's only a partnership or a purchase of some parts of Blackberry, why offer so much?
    Everyone needs to remember something here. It is only speculation. They came to this $5 billion mark due to adding up the cash on hand and the value of a line of credit they took out. Nothing at all has been confirmed by either BB or Lenovo. For all we know, they are offering up the value of the credit line for the hardware, or some combination of the two for the hardware and OS license. We could spend the whole day trying to figure out different ideas but I guess it was just easier to go the whole 9 and assume they are going for the whole thing for the same price as PW... which makes no sense... but then again, it doesn't have to make sense as long as it generates clicks.
    11-03-13 01:17 PM
    I checked Google Finance and Lenovos market cap is only $11 billion USD. So $5 billion is nearly half their market cap; that would be a huge purchase for them. It would nearly be the equivalent of Microsoft buying Oracle or Amazon. I don't know if they would take that kind of risk on a company such as blackberry whos future is so uncertain.

Frankly I see the Qualcomm deal as more likely. Qualcomm has a $120 billion market cap so $5 billion is spare change, and if Cerberus and Mike L are onboard that would spread around the cost even more.
    11-03-13 01:18 PM
    LOL, this article is nothing new, there is not even a bit of word saying Lenovo is making a firm offer. It is just a repeat of old rumor.

At this stage, any offer is more than welcome for s BBRY shareholder, the company is dying quickly.
    11-03-13 01:20 PM
    I the past three years, Lenovos revenue has doubled. Their profit has increased almost 5 fold, and they have about 3.5 billion in cash/short term investments. Lenovo has shown it can absorb a brand, maintain it and grow it as well. Though its all just part of the rumor mill. Lenovo has also been reported to be in talks regarding a buyout of HTC. It probably depends on if Lenovo wants to use BB and go after the corporate customer, or if they want to push into consumer markets. Hypotheticals and rumors are fun to talk about, but they are nothing other than rumors and hypotheticals. I personally think the Lazaridis, Qualcomm, Cerberus consortium would be the best choice. Lets just hope Lazaridis learned from his mistakes and has been thinking real long and hard about a turnaround without planning on just taking steps backwards.
    szlevi likes this.
    11-03-13 01:51 PM
    I think the dark horse to come out of no where at the last minute is HP. They're itching to get into the mobile market place.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 02:07 PM
    Question for the "I'll leave BlackBerry if they do this" group...if Lenovo bought BlackBerry, kept it intact AND continued to produce the hardware, software and provide support for the same, would you still think this is the worst thing in the world (for lack of better words).

What if Lenovo partnered with a non-Chinese, North American concern would that change your view?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    11-03-13 02:07 PM
    Where I work it's nothing but lenovo computers, guess we are being spied on every day then and all the SPI PHI stored the Chinese have and infect us all with malware on a chip. Perhaps? I doubt it.
    Well, I agree that on the hardware side, Chinese components are already in PCs, iPhones, and probably almost everything else. (or perhaps iPhones are only assembled in China?? Not sure on that...)

The difference with BlackBerry is the OS would be also owned by Lenovo.

The PCs you use are all Windows I'd assume, owned by a US company.
    11-03-13 02:46 PM
    Let's hope Laziridis comes through with a 100 trillion dollar deal. That way I get money for my shares, and the company is kept together.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 02:54 PM
    Well, I agree that on the hardware side, Chinese components are already in PCs, iPhones, and probably almost everything else. (or perhaps iPhones are only assembled in China?? Not sure on that...)

The difference with BlackBerry is the OS would be also owned by Lenovo.

The PCs you use are all Windows I'd assume, owned by a US company.
    True. I've seen stories of them planting things in chips.
    11-03-13 03:01 PM
    True. I've seen stories of them planting things in chips.
    Well I would hope there are methods whether in pre-testing of hardware or/and in the OS itself (Windows) for verifying the hardware is not subverting things. Though a hardware level hack is obviously more nefarious since it sits below the software.

I remember there were some counterfeit Cisco router issues a while back. That's a scary thought. Then there's the fact that Intel bought McAfee with the intent to build AV straight into its CPUs.

Perhaps there is some OS checking the ARM architecture CPUs can do, or will do at some point. (?)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-03-13 03:47 PM
    ARE YOU GUYS MAD?

Lenovo is a top notch company. I don't know what the hell you have been reading but ThinkPads are rock solid. I had a ThinkPad (I only sold it because I wanted a dedicated GFX card to game) and it one of the best mobile computing devices I've ever owned. When it comes to reliability and design, they really cant be beaten. Lenovo also provides timely updates and instead of bloatware provides very decent software to increase productivity. I was getting 25 hour battery life on a laptop which is like unheard of normally. I have also owned a Lenovo android tablet and the thing could standby for over 350+ hours and 20 hours of continuous use and didn't have a overly large battery. I'm sorry but Lenovo really knows how to optimize their **** and they are now the #1 PC seller and maker in the world cos of it.

Do you really think they'd jeopardize BlackBerry security? Are you aware that ThinkPads are used heavily in the business and government world and trusted? If Lenovo weren't to be trusted, there would already be scandals involving the ThinkPad series.

Good grief. Lenovo buying BlackBerry is probably the best thing that could happen to the company, ever.
    11-03-13 06:13 PM
    The audacity that they would only offer $5billion for BB. You know the Canadian government rather the company go bankrupt than sell it to Lenovo. I know BB is not worth more than that, still for a China company, it better start with $10 billion to lure the stockholders to at least turn their heads.
    11-03-13 06:48 PM
    I think Canadian Gov might block Lenovo. I'm sure they would much rather favour the Qualcomm/lazaridis deal.
    This

Our gouvernement won't allow this.
    I rather welcome back mike L then this scenario.
    I have a hammer ready for tomorrow

Android and iPhone fan better thank BlackBerry for making their phone better. I prefer subscribers, not followers.
    11-03-13 07:13 PM
    Okay my friend from the Philippines just wrote to me to tell me that since they are one day ahead of us, he says that SAMSUNG bought BLACKBERRY, is this true, does anyone know or has heard the same? Can someone please tell me if is true.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 07:56 PM
    Ask your friend to look up the winning lottery numbers since he lives in the future.

Posted via CB10
    tryfe, neoberry99 and kevinnugent like this.
    11-03-13 08:22 PM
    Let's hope Laziridis comes through with a 100 trillion dollar deal. That way I get money for my shares, and the company is kept together.

Posted via CB10
    LMAO. Post of the Day!

First, nothing has been finalized and there's a lot of skepticism and "I'll leave if"..... Second, I'm not that elated about any of those wanting to buy the company......especially bringing Mike back. Yeah, I want whatever company or partner that is going to take BlackBerry to the next level. Otherwise a lot of people are going leave.......no matter who has the company.
    11-03-13 08:38 PM
97 1234