11-05-13 01:53 PM
97 123 ...
tools
    Well rumour is Lenovo will offer $5 Billion:

BlackBerry ripe for takeover by Lenovo
    Updated: 2013-11-02 07:21
    By Gao Yuan (China Daily)

Lenovo Group Ltd will "actively consider" acquisitions in the mobile consumer electronics industry, said Yang Yuanqing, chairman and chief executive officer of the world's largest personal computer maker.

Yang's remarks came amid reports that the Chinese company is in talks with embattled BlackBerry Ltd on a merger possibly worth $4.7 billion.

"Mergers and acquisitions are always useful tools for us to expand business into new markets, and we are open to deals that can boost our business," the CEO said on Friday.

Lenovo, headquartered in Beijing, has long been rumored to be an active bidder for BlackBerry, which has been losing ground to Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd in the high-end smartphone sector.

In mid-October, The Wall Street Journal reported that Lenovo signed a nondisclosure deal to examine the books of the Canadian smartphone maker, which could pave the way for a possible acquisition.

The Chinese company is borrowing roughly $1.5 billion from banks for the deal, Reuters said.

"We have to prepare enough fodder for the next move," Yang told reporters. But he refused to confirm the BlackBerry bid.

Other potential suitors are said to include Google Inc, SAP AG and Facebook Inc.

BlackBerry ripe for takeover by Lenovo

"BlackBerry's patents and channel partner resources are valuable assets for Lenovo," said James Wang, a Shanghai-based analyst at research firm Canalys.

Telecom operators are the biggest smartphone sellers in developed economies, and Lenovo needs such resources if it wants to enter US and European markets, according to Wang.

Lenovo will make its way to developed markets by 2015 after it enters such emerging economies as Russia, Brazil and Southeast Asia, Yang said.

The company is the second-largest smartphone vendor in China after Samsung. It also enjoys about 10 percent of market share in Southeast Asian countries.

Smartphones and tablets are the weapons Lenovo will use to advance into the United States and the European Union.

The company plans to sell at least 10 million tablets in the fiscal year that ends next March.

Its tablet shipments the previous fiscal year totaled 1 million.

"Smartphones and tablets are both profitable at the moment, and we will constantly be looking at ways to expand our business," said Yang.

The company also launched an assembly plant in the central city of Wuhan, Hubei province. Annual mobile device shipments from the plant are estimated to reach 100 million.

Liu Jun, the Lenovo senior vice-president who heads its consumer product unit, said strong delivery power will help the company sell its products at a better price, which will help gain more customers at the lower end of the market.

gaoyuan@chinadaily.com.cn

(China Daily 11/02/2013 page10
    BlackBerry ripe for takeover by Lenovo|Companies|chinadaily.com.cn

Waterloo's BlackBerry Courted By Chinese - Forbes
    needforbbx likes this.
    11-03-13 12:22 AM
    I soooo don't want this!!!!

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    11-03-13 12:24 AM
    Oh nooo

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 12:41 AM
    Not a Chinese company please....

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann and SK122387 like this.
    11-03-13 12:58 AM
    This is not the outcome I am hoping for. Let's hope for the Qualcomm consortium: better chance of BB survival IMO.
    RyanGermann and SK122387 like this.
    11-03-13 01:08 AM
    OMG nooo Lenovo plzzz.... I can't trust Chinese Company

Posted via BlackBerry Z810
    11-03-13 01:21 AM
    If lenovo gets it, and sh*t (or berries)hits the fan.... I'm hoping Motorola pulls of the modular phone thing. cause that's where I'll go after my Z10/ and future Z30 gives up lol

Posted via CB10
    deezy87 likes this.
    11-03-13 01:38 AM
    Sweet, they used the word embattled in their article. Awesome

Posted from my Z30
    _dimi_ likes this.
    11-03-13 02:07 AM
    If lenovo gets it, and sh*t (or berries)hits the fan.... I'm hoping Motorola pulls of the modular phone thing. cause that's where I'll go after my Z10/ and future Z30 gives up lol

Posted via CB10
    motorola + phonebloks =

when our bb's all die, of course..and if lenovo wins..dammit I hate lenovo

posted via CB10 | pin:2AC7793D
    SirJes and deezy87 like this.
    11-03-13 02:11 AM
    Lenovo is a company that doesn't give a hoot about quality. Look at how they totally ruined the great Thinkpad line that IBM started. Their latest notebooks and tablets are cheaply built garbage complete with embedded spyware. Is this the kind of company that should have backdoors into US corporations ?
    JR A likes this.
    11-03-13 03:29 AM
    It pretty hard to imagine the US DOD and intelligence agencies relying on a company significantly owned by China government for secure communications. China conducts aggressive espionage in the US.

Posted via CB10
    wuulfy likes this.
    11-03-13 03:56 AM
    Chicoms? Hell No!!!

QNX posted via CB10
    11-03-13 03:59 AM
    Is it too late to start a twitter hashtag? #NoLenovo?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 03:59 AM
    If they buy.... I'm out too. I don't support the Red army

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 04:00 AM
    Sorry, but this would be bad for BlackBerry to accept. I'd rather they have no sake than a sale to Lenovo.

For Lenovo, a BlackBerry sale would be the best thing for them at the moment.

Posted via my Z30.
    11-03-13 04:37 AM
    I'm Asian.
    and even I will destroy my BlackBerry if lenovo takes over.

from an australian Z10...
    tryfe and bennelong like this.
    11-03-13 04:43 AM
    I think Canadian Gov might block Lenovo. I'm sure they would much rather favour the Qualcomm/lazaridis deal.
    Mr.mister, tryfe and Carjackd like this.
    11-03-13 05:13 AM
    Canadian regulators will definitely not allow this deal to go through. Although lenovo would be a good partner to have for hardware and they have a great economy of scale that would make the phones be able to be produced and sold at a cheaper rate.
    11-03-13 05:16 AM
    Why would Lenovo empty their bank account and bet their whole company on a failing one?

Posted via CB10
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    11-03-13 05:39 AM
    Before you all start self imploding, remember a few things,

1. The country you live in already spies on you

2. Innovation and cash are two very important parts of the puzzle to saving BlackBerry

3. The present management team is not good for BlackBerrys health

Is it really that hard to see that you will be hard pressed to get half of what you really want from any of these up in the air potential deals?

Hands-on: Lenovo Yoga Tablet review
    szlevi and nuke99 like this.
    11-03-13 05:48 AM
    It pretty hard to imagine the US DOD and intelligence agencies relying on a company significantly owned by China government for secure communications. China conducts aggressive espionage in the US.

Posted via CB10
    Oh the irony lol..

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 07:24 AM
    Lenovo could be a great chance for BlackBerry, they have great products and maybe they are interested in a alternative OS, Look at their new product: http://de.engadget.com/2013/10/30/re...yoga-tablet-8/ , it'a realy an Innovation, but the wrong OS. It's like the Playbook should be.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 07:34 AM
    For those who don't trust the Chinese government, I am with you.

Now, let's not fool ourselves, which government do you trust?

Think about it for a while.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 08:11 AM
    Where I work it's nothing but lenovo computers, guess we are being spied on every day then and all the SPI PHI stored the Chinese have and infect us all with malware on a chip. Perhaps? I doubt it.
    11-03-13 08:11 AM
    WA hahaha. China taking over the world.

I think the fast action of Chinese will be good for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 08:15 AM
97 123 ...