01-21-15 01:26 PM
189 ... 678
tools
    Like anything else, it performs better with less things going on. There is nothing saying a person has to leave that many apps open. It is optional. It will run better with only 4 or 8 apps open at a time than with 20 apps open, but having the option is nice.
    How bad does it get after let's just say 10? From what I understand BlackBerry did not want people to go all out and leave apps running and then complain that their BlackBerry is slow and crappy like their old BBOS BlackBerry. They were trying to get multitasking without killing the whole smooth experience and giving themselves a bad name (or at least make it worse). Personally, I've never had more than 4 apps open where I was actually using all 4 apps and switching between them simultaneously. It's interesting to show off but impractical IMO.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 09:41 PM
    How bad does it get after let's just say 10? From what I understand BlackBerry did not want people to go all out and leave apps running and then complain that their BlackBerry is slow and crappy like their old BBOS BlackBerry. They were trying to get multitasking without killing the whole smooth experience and giving themselves a bad name (or at least make it worse). Personally, I've never had more than 4 apps open where I was actually using all 4 apps and switching between them simultaneously. It's interesting to show off but impractical IMO.

Posted via CB10
    I've only really had a max of three that i was actually using.
    Last edited by grahamf; 11-27-14 at 10:09 PM.
    11-27-14 09:58 PM
    Nice!!

Via CB10 / STL1 / 10.3.1.1154
    11-27-14 10:04 PM
    You think that people are going to keep the current BlackBerry phones for 5 years? Come on let's be realistic nobody is keeping anything for 5 years. Furthermore, nobody goes out looking for something that is "sufficient". That's a strategy to kill off BlackBerry completely.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    I generally keep my BlackBerry smartphone for at least 5 years before considering an upgrade. The exception was BlackBerry Z10 to Q5 within a year but I missed the physical keyboard. Now my Z10 is useless unless I buy a new battery; it won't charge and the smartphone keeps cycling the boot process. I was tempted initially by the BlackBerry Passport however the reduced keyboard is unacceptable to me although the Passport could have been my go-to device as a smartphone-tablet for at least 10 year provided the battery life was acceptable and didn't crap-out after 18 months.
    01-14-15 08:04 PM
    Now my Z10 is useless unless I buy a new battery; it won't charge and the smartphone keeps cycling the boot process.
    You can buy a new one for less than a trip to Starbucks.

A4C.com: BlackBerry LS1 Battery for Z10
    01-14-15 11:41 PM
    I generally keep my BlackBerry smartphone for at least 5 years before considering an upgrade. The exception was BlackBerry Z10 to Q5 within a year but I missed the physical keyboard. .
    Since I purchase my device on a "pre-paid" system. I can purchase a new device when ever I want. (provided my bank says yes lol)

But I normally keep a phone for around 26 - 35 months and then consider an upgrade.

But back on topic, if OS 10.4 means the current BB10 won't upgrade (besides the passport) o would be happy with that. Since I would be purchasing a new device in the next year or 2.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    01-15-15 06:53 AM
    The Classic is going to be a major part of BB'S product line going forward - and unless something dramatic gets changed (it won't) - it literally has the same specs as Q10, with a bigger battery.
    So what conclusion can we draw from this?
    I think clearly, BB OS updates are not going to demand Passport only specs anytime soon. It would be asinine for them to release a brand new device which is then immediately unable to get the next update (10.4) - would it not?
    I do not know as much about how Cell makers design OS systems as some here, but I find it...unlikely from a logical standpoint that BB will add bells and whistles other than UI improvements which require enormous specs. Someone else here said it's a zero-sum game for them - agreed. Remember, they're really not aiming for consumer anymore. I could be wrong but I think having a complicated, battery consuming UI like LG G2 or something is not their logical way forward.

Posted via CB10
    Not to mention the recently released BlackBerry Porsche Design P'9983 (Released September, 2013 with Q10 Chipset).

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 08:23 AM
    The new cockpit system of Nvidia works with Android, Linux and QNX.
    The SoC is the new Tegra X1. Octacore and 64Bit.
    So the kernel is going to get the 64Bit Update. And yes, the microkernel is the same as in OS10.
    http://bb10qnx.de/2015/01/qnx-nvidia...x1-und-64-bit/
    01-18-15 08:13 AM
    I have a Z10 I actually just got it. It's probably the best phone I've ever used.... wish I didn't read this thread though.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    01-20-15 02:46 AM
    While everyone here are talking the EOL stuff for the early BB10 devices and the fear of being not supported by the10.4 update, I am quietly typing this message in a 9860 device and am still getting my emails , texts and calls on this phone. It still serves its purpose despite being already EOL.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 03:31 AM
    I have a Z10 I actually just got it. It's probably the best phone I've ever used.... wish I didn't read this thread though.

Posted via CB10
    Don't believe any of it.... Classic released with Q10 Z10 specs... you can't expect the Classic to be EOL software on 10.3.x....

Posted via CB10
    thekidshop likes this.
    01-20-15 03:53 AM
    Don't believe any of it.... Classic released with Q10 Z10 specs... you can't expect the Classic to be EOL software on 10.3.x....

Posted via CB10
    Actually, you can fully expect just that. Over the years, the vast majority of BlackBerry devices were left with no major software upgrades soon after they were launched. The Storm, Storm 2, 9650, 9800, 9810, 9930 and whole bunch of other devices were left with the same software version they launched with while newer devices got the newer and better software. Of course then ya gotta remember the PlayBook, which never got its promised BB10 update. BlackBerry has a terrible track record when it comes to updating older devices.

If you had been following BlackBerry for years, you'd know that the classic becoming EOL on software 10.3.x is EXACTLY what you should be expecting.
    01-21-15 01:06 PM
    Actually, you can fully expect just that. Over the years, the vast majority of BlackBerry devices were left with no major software upgrades soon after they were launched. The Storm, Storm 2, 9650, 9800, 9810, 9930 and whole bunch of other devices were left with the same software version they launched with while newer devices got the newer and better software. Of course then ya gotta remember the PlayBook, which never got its promised BB10 update. BlackBerry has a terrible track record when it comes to updating older devices.

If you had been following BlackBerry for years, you'd know that the classic becoming EOL on software 10.3.x is EXACTLY what you should be expecting.
    Things that happened under other executives is not proof that this will happen again....

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 01:10 PM
    Things that happened under other executives is not proof that this will happen again....

Posted via CB10
    Never said it was did I?

I'm only pointing out that BlackBerry has a well established history of doing the exact opposite of what you doubt they will do again. Chen hasn't been in office long enough to prove anything has changed about how they abandon devices. So you have even less to go on than I do.

Actions speak louder than happy thoughts and only time will tell if BlackBerry will start supporting older devices better or not.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-21-15 01:26 PM
189 ... 678