01-21-15 01:26 PM
189 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Its optimistic to think bbry will release anything 64 bit. They should have beat apple to this when they released a new operating system.

No one was making the chips then though.

Come to think, no one made 64 bit mobile chips until apple said so. So I doubt bbry could have gotten it done.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-17-14 01:04 AM
    I disagree. Customers are not bothered about layoffs and financial situation of BlackBerry. Z/Q10 when launched carried a premium price and Z30 is still considered to be a premium phone. Look how Apple is supporting iPhone. Well I do understand BB can't support the devices forever but the recent BB10 phones are not even 2 years old and we are already talking about EOL in 2015 and sadly some BB fans are even trying to justify it. I know fans can afford to upgrade phones every year because of the crazy love and obsession towards the company but it would be insane to end the support for current BB10 phones and expect the consumers to act cool. PlayBook already created a deep scar I hope BB won't repeat the same mistake again. I know this is all just a rumour by AJ. Time will tell how true it could get.

With all the layoffs it does make (fiscal) sense to stop supporting older devices once they have newer revisions in the market.

You need manpower to regression test new releases and every device you add makes the test matrix that much larger.

If they reduce the amount of testing (heaven forbid) that they do and continue to support older devices we'll have even more bugs like the SMS history deletion on upgrade bug and the unable to sync with Link to exFAT sd cards bug we now have, etc.

That being said, we'll have BB10 devices in our house for 3-4 years and I will be sad when they stop getting updates...

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-17-14 02:37 AM
    Its optimistic to think bbry will release anything 64 bit. They should have beat apple to this when they released a new operating system.

No one was making the chips then though.

Come to think, no one made 64 bit mobile chips until apple said so. So I doubt bbry could have gotten it done.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Unfortunately, BlackBerry is usually late to the game on the specs front. It's very unfortunate as I think that being a leader on specs would go a long way to showing people that BlackBerry is still very much a going concern.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-17-14 06:03 AM
    BlackBerry isn't even working on 10.4 yet... how the **** would they know...
    They probably are working on it in some capacity actually. I wouldn't be surprised if there were features, roadmaps and maybe architectural documents or user experience flows in the works now.
    06-17-14 06:21 AM
    When is 10.4 supposed to release? We still have 10.2.2 10.3 10.3.1 to get to first.
    Q3 2015 I read in an article about this sane EOL topic, so who knows if that's right.
    06-17-14 04:34 PM
    I expected to upgrade anyway....... I don't care what phone it is, cause it will be of good quality. the z10 was a good start for the first go around. Judging from all the non qwerty releases after the zed10, it's only gotten better, so I'm not worried, I just need my 4.4-4.7 screen phone

Z10 all they way!
    06-17-14 05:42 PM
    I expected to upgrade anyway....... I don't care what phone it is, cause it will be of good quality. the z10 was a good start for the first go around. Judging from all the non qwerty releases after the zed10, it's only gotten better, so I'm not worried, I just need my 4.4-4.7 screen phone

Z10 all they way!
    Yeah, I don't see the big deal one way or the other. People can't expect the devices to be supported forever. The device will continue to work it just won't get OS updates.

If you desperately need the newest OS then get a new BlackBerry.

stavwoz likes this.
    06-17-14 08:57 PM
    there are currently no phones othere than the iphone 5s that are 64 bit. there are no flagship androids on the horizon as samsung and htc have already released their flagships for 2014. they won't launch another into the iphone 6 window.

I doubt the z10 will receive support for 10.4. and I also doubt that the q10 users will be the target audience for the new os anyway. both phoneswork great right now anyway. I have both and haven't had any problems with them.

by the way, I'm posting this from a playbook. it still works okay.
    06-17-14 09:11 PM
    This is bound to happen, you can't get mad. It takes man power to test updated software on outdated hardware. 10.3 isn't even out yet so people don't really have to worry but I suspect they will stop support for older devices in 2016. Support for 4-16 cores is on the rise and support for higher ram is needed.

Posted via my BeastBerry Z30
    We really need to talk about the definition of "outdated".

Until BlackBerry makes devices with 4GB as the norm, even Z10's specs are not outdated.

But I agree, one day it will be EOL. The question is whether 10.4/10.5 is really that amazing that they need to drop support for everything else.

I really suspect it's not the case

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    06-17-14 09:48 PM
    there are currently no phones othere than the iphone 5s that are 64 bit. there are no flagship androids on the horizon as samsung and htc have already released their flagships for 2014. they won't launch another into the iphone 6 window.
    Don't forget the Note 4, which will be launching soon...
    06-18-14 01:13 AM
    BlackBerry can't be outdated, I reject that notion. How can the mild zed10 stack up so well on performance lag and all. If the rumored zed30 is a better power horse then all I can say is I can't wait to see what they have next. They are only getting better in my opinion. This is their new endeavor and like apple with the first iPhone, they too had major issues, but people stuck with them. I complain about the continued duplicate contact name issue, but this OS for me is still giving me some new flexibility I've always wanted and now so long as we keep up with the post letting our wants, wishes and update be known, some up their will take notice.

Z10 all they way!
    06-18-14 02:36 AM
    Why do we need 64-bit smartphones? Unless the smartphones will be getting more than 4 GB RAM which given BlackBerry device history is a fiction.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    06-18-14 02:50 AM
    Unfortunately, BlackBerry is usually late to the game on the specs front. It's very unfortunate as I think that being a leader on specs would go a long way to showing people that BlackBerry is still very much a going concern.

BlackBerry could release a 128-bit smartphone with 64 GB RAM and 1 TB system memory but few people want to buy a BlackBerry smartphone these days. Playing the spec war is at best a zero-sum strategy for the company. Their hubris already cost the company significant marketshare so it would be a fool's foley. In the event that BlackBerry decides to EOL current BlackBerry 10 while continuing to manufacture BlackBerry 7 smartphones the bloodshed will accelerate. Maybe this is Chen's ultimate goal; the trojan horse delivered to BlackBerry by Apple.

06-18-14 03:03 AM
    BlackBerry could release a 128-bit smartphone with 64 GB RAM and 1 TB system memory but few people want to buy a BlackBerry smartphone these days. Playing the spec war is at best a zero-sum strategy for the company. Their hubris already cost the company significant marketshare so it would be a fool's foley. In the event that BlackBerry decides to EOL current BlackBerry 10 while continuing to manufacture BlackBerry 7 smartphones the bloodshed will accelerate. Maybe this is Chen's ultimate goal; the trojan horse delivered to BlackBerry by Apple.

I agree that going so far past everyone on specs won't really help move devices. However, they need to be on par with the competition on visual things like screen sizes and resolutions that people are buying to remove barriers from people considering the device. Right now they have low res smaller screens, and a horrible app situation. Both need to be addressed or sales will never grow.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    06-18-14 04:59 AM

So what would you suggest the strategy be then? Continue to release under spec phones?

06-18-14 01:27 PM
    So what would you suggest the strategy be then? Continue to release under spec phones?

The current BlackBerry 10 smartphones are sufficient for at least another 5 years in the enterprise space. As for the fickle consumer space where it seems popular to compare gential size they can go Apple or Android if they need to get off. Sure the fantasy spec smartphone I decided would be fantastic and future-proof for at least 10)years but BlackBerry couldn't deliver it even if the company's fate rested upon such a device.

Ragbert likes this.
    06-18-14 09:06 PM
    The current BlackBerry 10 smartphones are sufficient for at least another 5 years in the enterprise space. As for the fickle consumer space where it seems popular to compare gential size they can go Apple or Android if they need to get off. Sure the fantasy spec smartphone I decided would be fantastic and future-proof for at least 10)years but BlackBerry couldn't deliver it even if the company's fate rested upon such a device.
    You think that people are going to keep the current BlackBerry phones for 5 years? Come on let's be realistic nobody is keeping anything for 5 years. Furthermore, nobody goes out looking for something that is "sufficient". That's a strategy to kill off BlackBerry completely.

06-18-14 10:46 PM
    You think that people are going to keep the current BlackBerry phones for 5 years? Come on let's be realistic nobody is keeping anything for 5 years. Furthermore, nobody goes out looking for something that is "sufficient". That's a strategy to kill off BlackBerry completely.

It's not uncommon to see people use technology until the wheels fall off

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Last edited by Dave Bourque; 06-18-14 at 11:58 PM.
    qwerty4ever and Ragbert like this.
    06-18-14 11:19 PM

I still have nVIDIA GeForce 9800GT and an LG 1742S monitor

My work laptop is a MacBook late-2009

Z10's specs are enough to deal with the majority of apps and games out there. Let's be realistic: smartphones ain't no console or PC in terms of AAA titles. Most performance problems in smartphone market are due to bad programming, relying on high-end hardware to make up for bad codebase.

Galaxy Note can't run Battle Nations (full 2D) without noticeable stutter issues but can run Clash of Clans (also 2D) at 60fps, and Real Racing 3 (heavy 3D) at about 45 fps.

And that thing has lower specs than Z10

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    06-18-14 11:51 PM
    Geeks and DIY-ers do. Recyclers do. I kept a PC running with up-to-date software for 15 years, without a virus, spyware, or major setback. I maxed out everything I could, inside and out, until finally only the original processor (a PII!) was the last blockade to another round of software upgrades. (Once you're replacing the CPU, you're basically talking about replacing the motherboard and either buying or building a new machine at that point.) So I stopped using it as my main workstation. But it still runs.

I don't shop for things which are simply sufficient because I know technology moves quickly; if I buy the best available now, in 6 months it will become "simply sufficient" anyway. I also know I want as long a life with it as possible. Not 15 years, obviously - that PC was extreme, even for me. But... given that carrier contracts can be 2 or 3 years, I want a phone which will at least outlast the contract I bought it for. Preferably longer, so that I can continue to use it off-contract. Not everyone lives in a throw-away society.

kbz1960 likes this.
    06-19-14 02:52 AM
    I suppose BB could just keep updating on older phones but the new features that don't work or are preventing from working would just get longer. Apple seems happy to go this way.
    06-19-14 06:44 AM
    It's not uncommon to see people use technology until the wheels fall off

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Wait, your BlackBerry has wheels?? Lucky!
    Ragbert likes this.
    06-19-14 07:23 AM
    Might be possible they will EOL the whole Z10.
    [Rumor] BlackBerry OS 10.4 Spells EOL-img_20140619_065826.png

gg bb likes this.
    06-19-14 08:59 AM
    Might be possible they will EOL the whole Z10.

Your image says it's not End of Life.

Honestly with all that excess BlackBerry Z10, I think they have executed this "end of production " that your "rumor" says since last year

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 12:49 AM
    What is 64bit on phones for? Better text messaging, emails, calls, signals, battery, apps? Is it really making a big difference from 32bit? Are they going to be saved from hackers?

Absolutely no! You guys don't even know if 64bit in apple is real or not. They could be bluffing just to say they're cool. If it's true, what's the difference? Are the customers really caring about it? No!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 04:44 AM
189 ... 34567 ...