01-21-15 02:26 PM
189 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Wow. That was a lot of who shot John.

You wrote a lot without really saying much.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    If you didn't understand...that's ok.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    06-14-14 05:41 PM
    If blackberry does that, I'm never buying another blackberry device. That means -1 loyal user.

Via CB10 on Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.296
    06-14-14 05:57 PM
    Wow. That was a lot of who shot John.

You wrote a lot without really saying much.

Which is what you get from consensus building.

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    06-14-14 06:05 PM
    then 10.4 will be the time when we say goodbye to BlackBerry of they do notbmake something very innovative..

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 06:15 PM
    There is not a definite date yet for 10.3, how many software revisions will be in between and much less 10.4. It is actually quite possible that 10.4 may require substantially more hardware capability. BlackBerry did this back in the days going from OS 5 to OS 6. Then going from OS 6 to OS 7 so the precedent is there. I remember reading the anger and outcries of Storm/Storm 2 owners that their devices could not use OS 6. The Bold 9700 could run OS 6 but barely, after a lot of fat trimming. However, I am holding my judgment till then.
    06-14-14 10:05 PM
    this is only normal and expected. you dont see google supporting jelly bean/kitkat on hardware from 2012...
    06-14-14 10:58 PM
    this is only normal and expected. you dont see google supporting jelly bean/kitkat on hardware from 2012...
    This much is true. Older phones might get a few features but won't get the core features of the update. Same as any other phone or company.

Posted via my BeastBerry Z30
    06-14-14 11:18 PM
    What about all the people in No. America who are stuck in multi-year contracts? Don't the carriers have to support the phones under contract with up-to-date OS, or offer a free hardware upgrade? (upgrade as in a newer BlackBerry model, not as in Android)

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    06-15-14 12:23 AM
    BlackBerry isn't even working on 10.4 yet... how the **** would they know...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    anon(8181885) likes this.
    06-15-14 02:29 AM
    Yayy!!! They are going 64 bit

Posted via CB10
    DAMIAN MCGINN1 likes this.
    06-15-14 02:35 AM
    Normal Agree, from stl 100-1 that already left behind (Dead of development support), I like it but the other hand I hate it when it come.
    And hear that the gadget life cycle still young, but forgotten. It will show that their planning is unpland just try error move.
    We, specially me just like tester customer. One variant but deferent version ? Funny... If defferent version it is ok, when the development left behind because of the technology.. But just not make sense to me ...

Z10 STL 100 -1, 2,3,4... Q5 type ???? Q10 ?????
    Before only one = Bold 9000, 9100, curve no type.....
    06-15-14 04:01 AM
    At least new devices are being designed and planned for. That's better than them drawing a curtain on handset development. Bring it on! Im happy with my Z30, I don't see that changing for the worse any time soon.
    06-15-14 10:51 AM
    At least new devices are being designed and planned for. That's better than them drawing a curtain on handset development. Bring it on! Im happy with my Z30, I don't see that changing for the worse any time soon.
    I agree. I don't think we can expect them to support old devices forever. And as you point out new devices are in the works.

06-15-14 11:02 AM
    BlackBerry isn't even working on 10.4 yet... how the **** would they know...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Just because it's being reported, doesn't mean it's true.
    What do you think, they have integrity?.... please

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 11:15 AM
    Yall reading to hard into my post. Most of yall will upgrade in another year. That will make 2 years for lots of early adopters. In 2016, 3 year contracts will be up and most likely 10.4 or 10.4.1. The new 64-bit quad-core phones with 4GB of RAM will be out. The older dual-core phones will still get updated features but won't be dead, you'll still be able to use the phone. All I'm saying is that the rumor says will all the updates BlackBerry is planning the old dual-core phones won't be the focus anymore.

06-15-14 07:20 PM
    What about all the people in No. America who are stuck in multi-year contracts? Don't the carriers have to support the phones under contract with up-to-date OS, or offer a free hardware upgrade? (upgrade as in a newer BlackBerry model, not as in Android)

No, a contract with a carrier doesn't entitle the end user to OS updates.

06-16-14 06:09 AM
    No, the two (contracts and OS updates) have nothing to do with each other. The contract is there because the carrier is financing your phone (giving it to you on credit), and roughly $20/month of your contract's price is to pay back that debt. If they let you quit whenever you wanted, how would they get paid back? Of course, it also means they profit from your service fees too.

But no carrier makes any promise whatsoever about phone updates, because that's not really up to the carrier, but rather the manufacturer. Of course, if a manufacturer's phones don't work right on the network, I'm sure the carrier requires a software fix within a certain amount of time, but that's not a feature update, but a bug fix. And if a manufacturer's phones don't sell because they aren't meeting customer demands, whatever those might be (including updates), then the carriers will simply stock phones from the competition instead, as you've seen with BB. So, manufacturers know that consumers expect at least some software upgrades along the way. But not every phone gets the same attention that the flagships get.

But, no, a contract with the carrier has absolutely nothing to do with manufacturers making OS updates available, and you are certainly not entitled to updates or a new phone just because you are on a contract.
    06-16-14 11:49 AM
    I think that's gonna be the 8 core monster.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 12:48 PM
    I think that's gonna be the 8 core monster.

Posted via CB10
    Ohhhhhheeee imagine 2016 or 2017 line up. 1 full touch and 1 keyboard phone 64-bit with 8 cores and quad display. Then they launch the classic 2 with quad-core and 1080p. The Z3 gets relaunched as a dual core but update specs.

06-16-14 02:45 PM
    That's understandable,we cant expect blackberry to support devices for more than 2 years,none of the company will ever do that...

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 03:23 PM
    Is it possible the ui updates would continue in 10.3? Maybe mirroring improvements from an evolving 10.4 design?

I remember being pretty red faced about PlayBook not getting 10
    Last edited by ui4life; 06-16-14 at 04:07 PM. Reason: playbook comment
    06-16-14 04:03 PM
    That's understandable,we cant expect blackberry to support devices for more than 2 years,none of the company will ever do that...

Posted via CB10
    Except this rumor makes no sense. Classic and windermere do not have 64 bit either. Does it really make sense to drop them too after a year ? You can still update the OS and still support 64 bit the sameway Apple is doing it for iPhone 5s and up.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    arvind1983 likes this.
    06-16-14 04:28 PM
    Except this rumor makes no sense. Classic and windermere do not have 64 bit either. Does it really make sense to drop them too after a year ? You can still update the OS and still support 64 bit the sameway Apple is doing it for iPhone 5s and up.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Apple is one of the few companies that pull off transitions so flawlessly. It takes a lot of resources and technological know-how. Apple is also the only tech company with an extensive history of long term support for its products.

Consider Microsoft's transition from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows. Or Microsoft's transition from Windows Mobile to Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8. Now consider Blackberry's support history for each iteration of the BB OS #s and the Playbook.

Also, the launch of the Blackberry 9720 and the re-production of the 9900 indicates that the length of support for recent products isn't a priority concern for the company.

I wouldn't set my expectations too high for Blackberry when considering its limited resources as well as prior support history. Set low expectations or otherwise you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.
    06-16-14 04:44 PM
    Thanks Troy. I do understand that the carriers are not obligated to upgrade the hardware, but I did think they had some obligation to push software updates - hence all the screaming from customers when they lag behind. That's not such a big deal now that we can update our own phones with autoloaders or Sachesi.

My real concern is that my particular contract isn't over until Aug. 2015. I'm not eligible for a hardware upgrade before then, either (unless VZW changes its terms), and I can't afford to buy a 2nd phone outright while I'm paying this one off. I was ok with that in the beginning, since I really love my Q10 and was in no rush to replace it. I did think, however, that I'd be able to keep my phone's OS up to date through the end of the contract, and even beyond.

The poster who compared this to Microsoft ending support for XP didn't really make a parallel analogy; XP was supported for many years, even long after Windows 7 was being phased out for Windows 8 in new PCs. And with a PC you can upgrade your hardware yourself at any time.

10.2.1 has been out for less than a year. And the Q10 - a year? The upcoming Classic is supposed to have the same or similar processor as the Q10, correct? So if I can finally buy a Classic in 2015 when my contract is up, I could end up buying something already obsolete, and nearing its EOL. Maybe it already won't run 10.4 either. None of this makes any sense for the markets that require these long multi-year carrier contracts - you're basically committed to old technology as soon as you sign one.

No, the two (contracts and OS updates) have nothing to do with each other. The contract is there because the carrier is financing your phone (giving it to you on credit), and roughly $20/month of your contract's price is to pay back that debt. If they let you quit whenever you wanted, how would they get paid back? Of course, it also means they profit from your service fees too.

But no carrier makes any promise whatsoever about phone updates, because that's not really up to the carrier, but rather the manufacturer. Of course, if a manufacturer's phones don't work right on the network, I'm sure the carrier requires a software fix within a certain amount of time, but that's not a feature update, but a bug fix. And if a manufacturer's phones don't sell because they aren't meeting customer demands, whatever those might be (including updates), then the carriers will simply stock phones from the competition instead, as you've seen with BB. So, manufacturers know that consumers expect at least some software upgrades along the way. But not every phone gets the same attention that the flagships get.

But, no, a contract with the carrier has absolutely nothing to do with manufacturers making OS updates available, and you are certainly not entitled to updates or a new phone just because you are on a contract.

06-16-14 07:51 PM
    Wait n watch. Me thinks it means either of these scenarios - 1) Development of new devices with better hardware and software 2) Potentially (looking at the revenues, profitability) a shut down of the handset division?

We will know over the performance reviews in the next couple of quarters.

Posted from my SuperHuman Q10
    06-17-14 12:52 AM
189 ... 23456 ...