10-13-12 09:43 AM
63 123
tools
    Is Jan 2 the release date for BlackBerry 10?
    Industry insiders at the ongoing Gitex Shopper are hinting at the date, while RIM is still mum on the issue
    By Bindu Suresh Rai
    Published Wednesday, October 03, 2012
    Head to a telecom retailer at the ongoing Gitex Shopper event at the Dubai World Trade Centre and chances are January 2 will be the date brandished for the launch of the new BlackBerry 10 phone in the market.

When Emirates 24|7 spoke to a few retailers about the launch, one said, on the condition of anonymity: That is the date which is the being buzzed by our suppliers but until RIM confirms it as such, we are not privy to a final confirmation.

However, if the BlackBerry 10 models are launching on January 2, 2013, UAE residents would be able to receive the first few handsets within two weeks or so of its release.

Another retailer at Gitex confirmed the date, saying: Weve been told to expect the first few phones by the last week of January. However, the models are likely to hit the grey market sooner if the launch is indeed January 2.

Even Ahmed, a salesperson at one of the BlackBerry stands, said: You just wait until January 2 to pick up the best handsets; that is when the BlackBerry 10 will launch, and it will blow away the competition.

A statement from Canadian makers Research in Motion or RIM wasnt available at the time, however, the company had earlier confirmed the first model would release Q1 2013.

Vishesh Bhatia, CEO of Jumbo Electronics, said earlier: RIM has been given a new lease on life with the announcement of the BlackBerry 10.

While we dont have the official launch date as yet, it is a brand that will continue to be strong in this market.

The first alleged images of the BlackBerry 10 L-series and N-series were leaked online earlier this week, which include one full touch-screen device, and one with a Qwerty keyboard.

Website CrackBerry pulled the images off a leaked marketing video, which was taken down shortly.

RIM posted a $235 million loss in its fiscal second quarter, earlier in the week.

Is Jan 2 the release date for BlackBerry 10? - Emirates 24/7
    10-03-12 11:09 AM
    I hope this rumour is true and my money will be waiting to buy.
    bbmtna likes this.
    10-03-12 11:35 AM
    Would be nice capture all that Christmas Money.
    10-03-12 11:43 AM
    Take my money rim
    bbmtna likes this.
    10-03-12 12:03 PM
    Will you all buy the first devices even though those leaked specs of the Aristo would BLOW away the L-Series specs?
    10-03-12 12:09 PM
    Grain of salt again.
    10-03-12 12:12 PM
    I would by the L-series. Nothing is confirmed yet with hardware. But I should really wait a few months to see how RIM is doing before pre-ordering. I did that with the playbook and boy did I regret paying full price for it.
    10-03-12 12:38 PM
    Will you all buy the first devices even though those leaked specs of the Aristo would BLOW away the L-Series specs?
    Depends on how much (reasonably reliable) information is out about the Aristo when the London drops.
    10-03-12 12:38 PM
    This rumor doesn't make sense. During blackberry jam they said the want all the apps to be submitted before January's 21. Why would you launch before and have a deadline for devs after I'm sure RIM won't do that. Rumor FAIL!!!!!!
    10-03-12 01:13 PM
    They'd get some spill-over from Christmas season with this release date.

2 weeks earlier and they would get a big boost from Christmas shopping. But maybe Jan 3rd is as early as they can get it out.
    10-03-12 01:16 PM
    This rumor doesn't make sense. During blackberry jam they said the want all the apps to be submitted before January's 21. Why would you launch before and have a deadline for devs after I'm sure RIM won't do that. Rumor FAIL!!!!!!
    That's simple because RIM doesn't have any idea of a release date for it.
    10-03-12 01:16 PM
    The only question I have is if they can launch by Jan 2, is it not possible to get it out 2 weeks sooner to capture some of the holiday shopping dollars?

In any event, this is great news if true! The sooner RIM releases a fully baked BB10 device, the better.
    10-03-12 01:21 PM
    As long as they have the major apps on board and a reasonable offering of secondary apps then they should be good to go. The other apps in the pipeline can make their way into app world after launch.
    DJM626 likes this.
    10-03-12 01:23 PM
    Thanks mods for updating the thread title to rumor, totally forgot. I wouldn't say its a rumor fail. Its a article. It can be wrong or it can be correct. Everything so far has been speculation
    10-03-12 01:33 PM
    Honestly I think it's of no use trying to determine a specific launch date. Every carrier has different testing procedures that can alter when a carrier releases a product. Like how at&t released the bold after everyone else in the states. Maybe the 2nd is when they hold an announcement to say when they'll release on the major carriers and such. With the expected release a couple weeks later.
    10-03-12 01:41 PM
    Would be nice capture all that Christmas Money.
    Maybe the sales patterns are different in the US but in the UK by the 2nd of January not only are British consumers largely spent up from Christmas but they have spent their christmas money on Christmas and January sales - which one start as early as Christmas day itself and they are therefore are more concerned about stretching out what is left of their pay-cheque until the end of January.

This is why by and large the tech sector does not launch new products in January - because it's all about the bargains not full price items.

February is even worse because all the credit card bills come in...
    10-03-12 01:45 PM
    That's my birthday so I would be super excited. That being said I agree with the other posts that its unlikely.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    10-03-12 01:58 PM
    Yes I'm planning on getting the L series when it hits the shelves. By the time the Aristo comes out there will be specs for a new L series that will blow those specs away. If I kept holding out because of leaks of newer and better future phones then I'd never have a phone.
    10-03-12 02:17 PM
    Honestly I think it's of no use trying to determine a specific launch date. Every carrier has different testing procedures that can alter when a carrier releases a product. Like how at&t released the bold after everyone else in the states. Maybe the 2nd is when they hold an announcement to say when they'll release on the major carriers and such. With the expected release a couple weeks later.
    This pretty much sums it up. Unless they are only talking about unlocked, unbranded devices, there's no such thing as a general launch date.
    10-03-12 02:25 PM
    I hope this rumour is true and my money will be waiting to buy.
    The deadline for application submissions to BlackBerry AppWorld for BlackBerry 10 is late January therefore an early January release of the smartphone(s) is not happening.
    southlander and stackberry369 like this.
    10-03-12 03:13 PM
    The deadline for application submissions to BlackBerry AppWorld for BlackBerry 10 is late January therefore an early January release of the smartphone(s) is not happening.
    doesn't mean RIM won't show off the devices then, which is a release maybe not a release for sale but an unveiling none the less
    10-03-12 03:17 PM
    It will not be released until January 21st at the earliest as this is the deadline for devs to submit their apps to be ready at launch. Given that the approval process takes about 8 business days, I'd wager that the phones will be launched either January 31st or February 1st.
    Last edited by aikmanr; 10-03-12 at 03:43 PM.
    10-03-12 03:20 PM
    doesn't mean RIM won't show off the devices then, which is a release maybe not a release for sale but an unveiling none the less
    Another dog-and-pony show complete with smoke and mirrors? RIM cannot afford any stunts short of a full-on release to the public sale of the BlackBerry 10 smartphones. Based on previous statements from the company a realistic publicly-available date in early March makes sense.
    10-03-12 03:21 PM
    Thanks mods for updating the thread title to rumor, totally forgot. I wouldn't say its a rumor fail. Its a article. It can be wrong or it can be correct. Everything so far has been speculation
    It's on the Internet ....must be true.
    Harryl6134 and CommanderElvis like this.
    10-03-12 03:30 PM
    It's on the Internet ....must be true.
    Funny guy...
    10-03-12 03:43 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD