05-26-15 01:00 PM
111 ... 2345
tools
    At this point, might be the best thing for BlackBerry 10 to survive. The BB10 OS could be modified to run iOS apps (we know it can already based on some videos a few years ago), UI made more Apple like (been heading that way anyway), and Apple users would be none the wiser and any OS released by Apple would be an instant success with developers and sales. The OS would get the time, attention, money, and updates it deserves, and Apple could release PKB devices for those shrinking business users that want them. We'd have wearables, TV interface device and tablets. Regular all touch devices, and no more waiting for the carrier to approve updates. Apple can do for QNX what BlackBerry can only talk about and say is coming soon because they have the money and man power to leverage it where BlackBerry does not.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 06:21 AM
    Apple generally doesn't buy companies that lack stability.
    NeXt Computer wasn't stable. Of course NeXT had something Apple needed.
    05-13-15 06:51 AM
    NeXt Computer wasn't stable. Of course NeXT had something Apple needed.
    Apple was also desperate at the time and about to die. They are not that position now.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 07:00 AM
    At this point, might be the best thing for BlackBerry 10 to survive. The BB10 OS could be modified to run iOS apps (we know it can already based on some videos a few years ago), UI made more Apple like (been heading that way anyway), and Apple users would be none the wiser and any OS released by Apple would be an instant success with developers and sales. The OS would get the time, attention, money, and updates it deserves, and Apple could release PKB devices for those shrinking business users that want them. We'd have wearables, TV interface device and tablets. Regular all touch devices, and no more waiting for the carrier to approve updates. Apple can do for QNX what BlackBerry can only talk about and say is coming soon because they have the money and man power to leverage it where BlackBerry does not.
    None of these things would happen if Apple actually were to acquire BlackBerry. Many of BlackBerry's technologies (or maybe just a few specific ones) would be rolled into Apple's products, but BlackBerry, as a brand, would completely disappear and Apple's general design principles would not change.

So: BB10 would be dismantled, no keyboard phones would be released, any wearable you got would still be the Apple Watch, any TV interface device you got would still be Apple TV, any tablet you got would still be the iPad. They would all still run iOS. Parts of QNX might show up in new product categories. If, in fact, there actually was a car in development, this would be the logical place to start. But all the existing categories would stay on roughly the same path they're on now. And BB10 would still be, for all intents and purposes, a memory.

But this rumor is pretty far-fetched anyway, so probably none of this will come to pass.
    05-13-15 07:55 AM
    Feel like crying...

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 08:14 AM
    Apple would definitely not be licensing any of its technology to other companies. They are potentially in so many other business that they are a competitor for just about any technology company. It's not as if they need any revenue from licensing fees, either. They will either develop the technology for in-house use or sell it off ASAP.

They also have the most valuable brand in the world so they won't need the BlackBerry or"QNX brand for anything.
    05-13-15 08:55 AM
    Apple would definitely not be licensing any of its technology to other companies. They are potentially in so many other business that they are a competitor for just about any technology company. It's not as if they need any revenue from licensing fees, either. They will either develop the technology for in-house use or sell it off ASAP.

They also have the most valuable brand in the world so they won't need the BlackBerry or"QNX brand for anything.
    It's a lot easier for Apple to acquire a company like BlackBerry, Good, or Mobile Iron to establish their place in the MDM space compared to attempting it from scratch. BlackBerry is the most natural target.

Three of BlackBerry's four divisions would present a value proposition for Apple.
    05-13-15 09:33 AM
    It's a lot easier for Apple to acquire a company like BlackBerry, Good, or Mobile Iron to establish their place in the MDM space compared to attempting it from scratch. BlackBerry is the most natural target.
    The problem is that MDM is neither a coveted, lucrative, or established business. The reality is that players like MOBL are struggling and BBRY shows marginal progress with many skeptics regarding its stated goals.

Even John Chen is pulling plan B instead of solely relying on BES growth by stating his intent to grow BBRY's revenue through acquisitions. This is money he should be investing in BES if it were in fact, high growth. Instead he believes the money is better invested elsewhere.

MDM, ATM, is a low margin business and not one that AAPL would be interested in. This is akin to how AAPL has no interest in selling low or mid end phones.
    Witmen and Eumaeus like this.
    05-13-15 12:20 PM
    The problem is that MDM is neither a coveted, lucrative, or established business. The reality is that players like MOBL are struggling and BBRY shows marginal progress with many skeptics regarding its stated goals.

Even John Chen is pulling plan B instead of solely relying on BES growth by stating his intent to grow BBRY's revenue through acquisitions. This is money he should be investing in BES if it were in fact, high growth. Instead he believes the money is better invested elsewhere.

MDM, ATM, is a low margin business and not one that AAPL would be interested in. This is akin to how AAPL has no interest in selling low or mid end phones.
    Yeah, seems to be a low margin business from what I've gleaned reading about it... I think there's more potential if they take it beyond Mobile Device Management to straight up Device Management ie. IoT. I'm sure I've read somewhere that expanding the capabilities is part of The Plan (the latest one anyway). They could build an entire suite around that idea, imho.
    05-13-15 02:31 PM
    MDM is probably ripe for being "Sherlocked" - taken over by Apple or Google once it becomes popular. Any utility extension of a mobile OS is prone to having this happen. If you are Dropbox, you can't expect to own the entire cloud file sharing space just because you did it well when it was a small part of mobile computing.

One of BlackBerrys problems is that none of these various opportunities in mobile stands on its own yet. Ultimately it's not a big player and any major tech category. There is going to be lots of pressure to sell the assets.
    05-13-15 02:41 PM
    One of BlackBerrys problems is that none of these various opportunities in mobile stands on its own yet. Ultimately it's not a big player and any major tech category. There is going to be lots of pressure to sell the assets.
    There already is lots of pressure to sell ALL the assets. I think you're right about the biggies in the field getting into the action once they see it as being commercially viable. Sad, but that's how it seems to work.

Perhaps when that day arrives with IoT (once it settles into something more tangible) BlackBerry will become a serious takeover target of Apple or Google, and not just rumoured. I'd personally like to see them remain independent (choice and competition are good for consumers) but that may not be in the cards long term.
    05-13-15 02:50 PM
    I've seen three other clones of my thread. What's up with that?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 02:54 PM
    Such a purchase makes sense for both. To Apple it would the equivalent of spare change to get the enterprise domain security BB offers. Besides, where would the Apple App Store be without genuine BB software programs to supplement their meager choices :-).
    I thought the deal made sense the first time around but it could also be a pump and dump on the rumors so watch out.
    05-13-15 02:58 PM
    Aren't apples considered bad when they turn black? Bad idea! Wouldn't touch a BLApple even with anybody else's tree limb....just saying. Apple would disintegrate BB and turn all BB's secrets over to the NSApple.
    05-13-15 04:23 PM
    so does this mean my Playbook update is still "coming soon" or not?
    05-14-15 01:39 PM
    Omg

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 01:55 PM
    so does this mean my Playbook update is still "coming soon" or not?
    Ugh imagine iOS 8 on the Playbook...it's laggy enough on my iPad.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 05:59 PM
    If this happens then I don't know where I would go
    05-14-15 07:04 PM
    If this happens then I don't know where I would go
    Windows 10 Mobile?
    05-17-15 10:20 AM
    Reading this thread, I'm struck by how much things have changed since I joined Crackberry.
    05-17-15 12:30 PM
    Grab the short at a slightly higher than average rating.
    Pump the stock with grandios rumor ... watch the rise. Then when disproven it drops harder ... this has happened in the past year at least 3 times (twice with Lenovo, 1 time with Samsung) ... look it up.
    There's a new thread about Microsoft now, lol ;-)

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-17-15 05:18 PM
    This will remain just a rumor.
    05-18-15 02:10 PM
    This will remain just a rumor.
    One which didn't work to drive up the stock price substantially.
    05-18-15 08:42 PM
    QNX is inexpensive to license so there is no need to buy BB to get access to it.
    Yup, Apple and QNX are historical partners already (hint: miracast Airplay).
    Apple CarPlay: BlackBerry QNX powers Apple?s iOS CarPlay system | BGR
    QNX’s Paul Leroux told the blog. “We have a long-standing partnership with Apple to ensure high-quality connectivity with their devices, and this partnership extends to support for Apple CarPlay.”
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-19-15 at 11:33 AM. Reason: confusion miracast/airplay, thanks Tchocky77 !
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-19-15 10:37 AM
    One which didn't work to drive up the stock price substantially.
    Nor offered a pump and dump situation.
    05-19-15 10:39 AM
111 ... 2345