05-26-15 01:00 PM
111 1234 ...
tools
    Not only that I think many though the company would fold, or Prem would part it out and they could get it cheaper than buying the whole thing. IOS is on its eighth revision, and maybe Apple has evaluated things and sees this as an investment that can pay off on the future, or sees BlackBerry and Samsung getting too cozy and threatening Enterprise. I doubt their is anything here, but to say it isn't possible is a little crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry has an iOS player that they have shown Apple to try to get them to buy them.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry showing off the capability of running iOS on BB10 would be pretty boring considering OS X can already run Windows via Boot Camp. Or that years ago I could run OS X on a non-Mac PC (OSX86).

There's no doubt that BB10 could run iOS apps natively just like Android. The only restriction with Android right now is BB doesn't have the permission from Google to run GPS.

I'm sure all platforms could run just fine on each other's hardware. Not sure what that proves?

Nothing to see here, lol.
    05-11-15 09:00 PM
    They short the stock when it's artificially inflated on the rumor, then dump when the stock corrects to rake in their earnings.

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough. I thought it was referring to the people that were already short, not people looking to go short.
    05-11-15 09:05 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry was attractive to a buyer at that time. It was in the middle of downsizing and much unrest. Who would want to acquire a company like that?
    Someone who wants it cheap and would just clear house anyway. The transition would mean very little. You don't sit around and wait for a company to get better and potentially raise its asking price to buy it.
    05-11-15 09:43 PM
    If this rumour has any grounds it would likely be as a result of QNX, if apple is using it as the base of its car infotainment systems, clearly they recognize it is good enough that's it's not worth trying to beat. This fact, paired with the idea that IoT is going to be the "next big thing" could be a sign that BlackBerry has the best solution and is already making inroads that could threaten their future.

I still don't think the rumour is anything to worry about, it's extremely unlikely, but if it were being considered, QNX and security are the reasons.

BB for Life
    05-11-15 11:45 PM
    This could be a rumour in reaction to a story that ran yesterday on apple loosing 1% in the enterprise segment activations to android, I think it was tech vibe, where BlackBerry is not mentioned cause they don't have access to BES12 activations, but the first I've seen of numbers on enterprise activations that are dominated by apple and android.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 11:49 PM
    I don't buy the rumor. Like Blaze said, I believe they may have kicked the tires when Blackberry actually WANTED a buyer, and decided against.

But one thing,....if Apple has since decided to maybe build a car, as has been reported; then i could maybe see QNX as a smart acquisition.

But nah. I don't think this is happening.
    05-12-15 12:42 AM
    sell on rumors, buy on news.

oh, wait. vice versa. duh.
    05-12-15 04:47 AM
    I can smell Morgan Stanley in this... again.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    05-12-15 05:06 AM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Nothing here folks, move along....

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 05:34 AM
    I hope this does not happen. You never know though...someone will eventually buy Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    05-12-15 07:11 AM
    If icar or whatever it's called isn't getting the traction they need, could be true if they about need qnx so they can get the market penetration they'll need for their next major launch now the wearable crap is out.. Car.. Tv seems dead in the water for them..
    05-12-15 07:31 AM
    Someone who wants it cheap and would just clear house anyway. The transition would mean very little. You don't sit around and wait for a company to get better and potentially raise its asking price to buy it.
    Apple generally doesn't buy companies that lack stability.
    05-12-15 08:23 AM
    This a reply to everyone. IDK, I mean in business it's never too late to buy someone out, at the right price for both that is. It's potentially a win-win here. Apple has more cash than any other company on their balance sheet. So even a small premium above market price is pocket change to them. BlackBerry is also very cheap right now compared to most tech companies. Some cash or some shares of Apple is a win for shareholders as well. Both companies are looking for ways to grow.

Not saying that the rumors are true. I'm just saying.

Posted via CB10
    Maksimfa likes this.
    05-12-15 08:25 AM
    This a reply to everyone. IDK, I mean in business it's never too late to buy someone out, at the right price for both that is. It's potentially a win-win here. Apple has more cash than any other company on their balance sheet. So even a small premium above market price is pocket change to them. BlackBerry is also very cheap right now compared to most tech companies. Some cash or some shares of Apple is a win for shareholders as well. Both companies are looking for ways to grow.

Not saying that the rumors are true. I'm just saying.

Posted via CB10
    This. =)

It makes sense for Apple. They need acquisitions to grow.
    05-12-15 09:15 AM
    If icar or whatever it's called isn't getting the traction they need, could be true if they about need qnx so they can get the market penetration they'll need for their next major launch now the wearable crap is out.. Car.. Tv seems dead in the water for them..
    The car project hasn't even been publicly acknowledged to EXIST by Apple, so i doubt a lack of "traction" is the problem. None of the general public even knows what QNX is so i don't think that would be the reason for the buyout.
    05-12-15 09:55 AM
    This would be a reasonable acquisition for Apple mostly for the patents and MDM intellectual property. Keep in mind that as iPhone sales increase, their need for patent protection increases. The hardware operations and BB10 would be shut down or sold off. If the book value of the assets are as good as people on this forum say it is then it really wouldn't cost very much.
    05-12-15 10:34 AM
    The car project hasn't even been publicly acknowledged to EXIST by Apple, so i doubt a lack of "traction" is the problem. None of the general public even knows what QNX is so i don't think that would be the reason for the buyout.
    What the public knows or is aware of, is irrelevant here. If Apple is indeed working on a car, they may see the value in QNX running it because it's tried, true and proven, in applications from nuclear submarines to solar powered planes and is gaining traction in consumer cars.

Whether or not the public knows what QNX is, or its capabilities are, doesn't matter. The companies that want to use or build off this type of technology know what it is and that is what matters. It's quite unlikely that "consumers" or the general public will ever really know what QNX is, as it's an underlying system that will be featured in many things but not necessarily branded in anything

BB for Life
    05-12-15 11:40 AM
    This could be a rumour in reaction to a story that ran yesterday on apple loosing 1% in the enterprise segment activations to android, I think it was tech vibe, where BlackBerry is not mentioned cause they don't have access to BES12 activations, but the first I've seen of numbers on enterprise activations that are dominated by apple and android.
    Posted via CB10
    Caution (if we refer to the same story): this is a in-house Good Technology "study". Not even mention BlackBerry, as it is based on their consumers' devices activations and their solutions don't offer BlackBerry support. So don't take this as a global study.
    05-12-15 12:06 PM
    From a business standpoint it does make sense:

Company A will probably be making vehicles in 10 years. Company B will not.
    Company A is a big target for mobile patent lawsuits due to the sheer number of devices they make. Company B is not.
    Company A has significant consumer market share worldwide and could easily leverage MDM services to enterprise. Company B does not.
    Company A makes a lot of internet-connected mobile devices. Company B does IoT security.
    Company A has cash to burn. Company B has undervalued assets.
    05-12-15 12:06 PM
    Apple will not buy BlackBerry unless consumer start to demand security is their top priority. Right now only corporation, not consumer, demand security is their top priority. If any company who is not Chinese want to buy BlackBerry, they would have bought already when BlackBerry put itself on the market. BlackBerry stock up I believe is due to BlackBerry Classic getting more support from carriers and BlackBerry Leap is available through many countries now. The potential investors just starting to realize this trend.
    05-12-15 12:09 PM
    sometimes there is a kernel of truth to rumours.....cogitating on iOT and Security and the roll of QNX, it seems clear that
    if Google and Apple want to compete in iOT and keep their own OS, they need to licence QNX so Android and iOS can operate or sit on top of QNX (automotive sector is a great example).....this would open the door to having two OS on one phone, and/or allow for splitting corporate and personal functions on Android and Apple phones, and allow for better security.

Regarding a takeover, I don't believe either Google or Apple, or any other company would buy blackberry, as gov't users around the world would lose confidence in security because of US gov't interference and spying on wireless communications. Furthermore, it is unlikely Canada would allow a takeover of Blackberry for gov't and NATO security reasons.....bottom line is that Google and Apple will have to licence QNX and sooner than later.......now just think about what that would do for Blackberry's share price:-)
    05-12-15 12:24 PM
    What the public knows or is aware of, is irrelevant here. If Apple is indeed working on a car, they may see the value in QNX running it because it's tried, true and proven, in applications from nuclear submarines to solar powered planes and is gaining traction in consumer cars.

Whether or not the public knows what QNX is, or its capabilities are, doesn't matter. The companies that want to use or build off this type of technology know what it is and that is what matters. It's quite unlikely that "consumers" or the general public will ever really know what QNX is, as it's an underlying system that will be featured in many things but not necessarily branded in anything

BB for Life
    That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying in response to the previous poster.
    05-12-15 12:52 PM
    Apple will not buy BlackBerry unless consumer start to demand security is their top priority.
    That wouldn't be Apple's motivation for buying BlackBerry. Think IoT and patents.
    05-12-15 12:56 PM
    Apple will not buy BlackBerry unless consumer start to demand security is their top priority.
    If you are already selling something like $250 million iPhones a year plus a bunch of other mobile devices then you might just spend a few billion security in order to protect your business.
    05-12-15 01:07 PM
    QNX is inexpensive to license so there is no need to buy BB to get access to it and the patent wars have largely subsided so spending a couple billion for BB patent trove does not make any kind of sense.
    05-12-15 01:18 PM
111 1234 ...