06-27-14 06:22 AM
237 ... 78910
tools
    Which comments?
    CTV Kitchener reported that the cuts are largely done

$ BBRY CEO John Chen says restructuring basically done. Mass layoffs here in town all but done. @CTVKitchener
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-19-14 12:30 PM
    And "let's to wait " is not proper English.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    True. Lol

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-19-14 01:58 PM
    06-20-14 11:56 AM
    I can appreciate the frustration, but I don't think it's as simple as "The developer relations team sitting around playing solitare all day".In fact, I challenge anyone on CrackBerry to come up with a real developer relations strategy to fill the app gap that has more substance than "spend money" or "do whatever it takes" or "get better people".. It's got to be a brutal job with more disappointment than most can possibly imagine.

In one of the recent Mobile Nations Podcasts on Microsoft really hit this point home when Daniel talked about the challenges Microsoft faces. they have the best developer relations in the world and they are throwing money hand over fist to fill the app store and even they have tons of disappointments. Daniel gave examples of them paying companies to bring apps to Windows Phone, paying for the development and then asking the companies to just take it over. Some companies let the apps lie fallow and never update. Dunkin Donuts just outright said no, "Even if you pay us and pay for the development of the app, we don't want to have to maintain it, so too bad".

If you aren't iPhone or Android right now, I don't know how to grow your ecosystem and be positive unless you look at it literally one victory at a time.
    Exactly. BlackBerry has been doing the same thing, and some of these big name as just say "no, it's not about money, or devices time, we just don't want to have a blackberry version of our app ". Throwing money at it is not going to do the job.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 12:34 PM
    So, that's the head of Dev Relations gone. Wonder how many are leaving with him?

Not sure this rumour can be discounted as false just yet...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-20-14 01:03 PM
    So, that's the head of Dev Relations gone. Wonder how many are leaving with him?

Keep in mind that BlackBerry's improved performance this past quarter was in part due to their tax refund and real estate sales. JC may still resort to a new round of cuts to stay on track.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-20-14 04:39 PM
    Long live BlackBerry

? Slicing using my ?
    06-20-14 11:26 PM
    Keep in mind that BlackBerry's improved performance this past quarter was in part due to their tax refund and real estate sales. JC may still resort to a new round of cuts to stay on track.
    Agreed!! Folks seemed to not catch that real well including Chris. Without that the picture JC painted during the call would not have been as nice.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    06-20-14 11:35 PM
    It was, but also bear in mind that they are still finishing off restructuring costs. Those are extraordinary EXPENSES that they won't have going forward. The drop in sales has almost come to a halt quarter-over-quarter, and costs are down.

Mallick isn't quite the head of Dev Relations; he was head of Global Alliances and Ecosystems. Well, they've announced the end of two global alliances: 7digital for music and Revo for video/movies. With those deals gone there wasn't much for Marty to do.
    06-20-14 11:46 PM

Not sure if mentioned in another thread but 65 others in developer relations were let go: BlackBerry lays off developer relations staff
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-24-14 10:42 AM
    Not sure if mentioned in another thread but 65 others in developer relations were let go: BlackBerry lays off developer relations staff
    Thanks for posting this.

So, Mallick gone, redundancies in Dev Relations (65 out of an estimated 75 wasn't it?)... and only the redundancies in Engineering to come to make this rumour 100% confirmed.
    06-24-14 01:09 PM
    Thanks for posting this.

So, Mallick gone, redundancies in Dev Relations (65 out of an estimated 75 wasn't it?)... and only the redundancies in Engineering to come to make this rumour 100% confirmed.
    Doesn't confirm that 2000 are going. 200 seems more plausible at this point.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    06-24-14 02:28 PM
    Doesn't confirm that 2000 are going. 200 seems more plausible at this point.
    I didn't realise this had become a negotiation.

So, with N4BB having correctly predicted the letting go of Mallick along with what must be most or all of the Developer Relations department, you'll determine the rumour as "false" if fewer than 2,000 Engineering staff are let go?

Right...
    mikeo007 likes this.
    06-24-14 02:39 PM
    During the pre-BB10 period, it seemed that the Developer Relation team was expanded quite a bit to promote BB10 app development...
    06-24-14 02:51 PM
    When Chen has repeatedly--and recently--said they've hit bottom as far as headcount goes, it would be a major reversal to concede that they're letting go of another 2k.

The past 3 years have taught me that when it comes to BlackBerry, you can never say "the bleeding has stopped", but if this report is true then that can only mean that things are truly catastrophic.
    But there's a nuance though, if you're making cuts to save money just to save money I think it's wrong but if you found a better alternative for the app solution, I don't think that keeping those people make any business sense. It is unfortunate but that team had enough time to prove the world wrong and to correct the app solution and they didn't, Chen said it ,sometimes waiting for things to go better by itself and avoid the problems can be catastrophic, you need to take action sooner rather than later.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 06:21 PM
    Make sure you get it on video!
    Maybe Sad Old Man can join the dance in the street.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    06-24-14 06:37 PM
    Chen just said on Thursday that they're "down to a handful at this point" when asked about further reductions. That doesn't sound like a CEO who's planning to chop 25% of his head count.

06-24-14 06:55 PM
    So 65 gone today. A far cry from 2000.
    06-24-14 06:59 PM
    I am just puzzled where the bulk of the 5000 (?) that were supposed to be let go came from, if they are "done". According to the article I linked to, the K-W area only accounted for "at least" 1250. While I realize BBRY is global, 3000 from international locations must have meant that some were wiped out; even so, surely NA had the largest numbers and I wonder where they all came from.

And JC's wording was odd. It would have been much simpler to just say something like "we have reached the reduction that we targeted". I am a little surprised no bean counter asked if the original target was being revisited.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-24-14 09:18 PM
    So 65 gone today. A far cry from 2000.

The operative word in that first sentence is "today", I reckon.

The OP's posting of N4BB's rumour was cast as unreliable scuttlebutt by many in this thread. And, so far, the rumour is 2 for 2 in terms of accuracy... Some posters now seem to accept the basic validity of the original "rumour" and the debate is over how many will go from the "parts of Engineering" specified in the third part of the rumour.
    06-25-14 02:55 AM

The OP's posting of N4BB's rumour was cast as unreliable scuttlebutt by many in this thread. And, so far, the rumour is 2 for 2 in terms of accuracy... Some posters now seem to accept the basic validity of the original "rumour" and the debate is over how many will go from the "parts of Engineering" specified in the third part of the rumour.
    It's kinda amusing to see

Apart from that, with Chen saying that they want to sell a 10M phones per year to be profitable....
    How many employees do you need to sell 10M phones?

I'd say that cutting another 2000 jobs (or how many there will actually be) won't hurt if you only want to sell 10M phones a year.

And as far as I know the Wall Street, they'd basically think the same.
    10M phones a year are so ridiculously few... Better fire them if you don't need them.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-25-14 07:15 AM

What I'm having trouble with is the inconsistency. Why would JC say cuts are largely done if another 20% of the company is on the way out? That's an outright lie and a deliberate shot to his own credibility.

06-25-14 11:52 AM
    What I'm having trouble with is the inconsistency. Why would JC say cuts are largely done if another 20% of the company is on the way out? That's an outright lie and a deliberate shot to his own credibility.

Why would T.Heins say that the Z10 and Q10 were a huge success?
    Or that the PlayBook will get BB10 (ok, that was a potshot)?

He is CEO, he says a lot of things, would be my answer

Also, when compared to the BlackBerry T.Heins got handed over from the Co-CEOs, I'd say that even if you fire another 2000, the cuts are largely done already.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-25-14 12:03 PM
    Did JC actually say that though? Forgive me, because I haven't followed the subject of BB and staff cuts very closely for a few weeks now. But the last I recall, his statements were more benign statements like "cuts are never a good thing", "you can't grow by making cuts", etc.. Statements that while ambiguously true, don't actually answer the question "are more cuts on the horizon" that has been proposed to him.

Did he actually saying anything to the tune of "We're done (or about so) making cuts"?
    propeller10 likes this.
    06-25-14 12:12 PM
    Did JC actually say that though? Forgive me, because I haven't followed the subject of BB and staff cuts very closely for a few weeks now. But the last I recall, his statements were more benign statements like "cuts are never a good thing", "you can't grow by making cuts", etc.. Statements that while ambiguously true, don't actually answer the question "are more cuts on the horizon" that has been proposed to him.

Did he actually saying anything to the tune of "We're done (or about so) making cuts"?
    BlackBerry CEO unveils ‘world’s smallest phablet or the world’s largest phone’ | Metro
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    06-25-14 12:28 PM
237 ... 78910